2008: Make or break season for the following....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

2008: Make or break season for the following....

That's if they are lucky enough stay on the list until Nov...I think all their Contracts are up at the end of 2008

Xavier Clarke
Fergus Watts
Michael Gardiner
Matty Ferguson
Shane Birss
Barry Brooks
Brad Howard
Andrew McQualter
James Gwilt
Clinton Jones
Steven Milne

If half of those come good in 2008 - it would be a good result....

We are only likely to have ONE retirement....and you'd expect 4-5 of those to be delisted

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

fair call

i think birss is favoured so will get another year

howard was taken this year so may need longer to develop than given so far.

CJ's senior form has been extremely rubbish, but by all accoutns his reserve form has been encouraging.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

When I think of it being 'time up', I think of players worthy of being delisted...

I'd agree that the others are in last chance saloon, but I can't see us delisting McQualter, Howard or Watts for another two years at least. A trade perhaps, but we've put too much into them at the draft/trade to let them go for nothing.

I'd keep Milne, but I sincerely doubt he will be able to get his career back to he 60-goal heights. 40-goal (not bad) at best, I'd say. Hope I'm wrong.

And X Clarke - off-limits until 2010 AFAIAC. I reckon some of the stuff he did this year as a link player was sensational. If was able to finish the job in front of the sticks, he'd be in the first 10 players picked.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 26 Sep 2007 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

GrumpyOne

I think we have a preview of the 2008 delisting thread there. Half those will not see 2009 with us.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Howard will be given until at least 2009. Very raw, and this was known when he was recruited. If he keeps improving and does not stagnate, he will stay.

However, if he's still struggling to play games in the Scorps Seniors at the end of 2008, things don't look good.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I think R. Clarke should consider this as "make or break" as well...

The Saints are coming!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2008: Make or break season for the following....

st.mart wrote: Xavier Clarke - Will step up and keep his spot.
Fergus Watts - His future depends on our recruiting, if we pick up someone like Pettifer you would assume that he is done, if not he should be able to force himself into our 22
Michael Gardiner - Hopefully he'll come good but doubt it, our final hope will be Van Rheenan, unless we could pick up Wood or Hudson.
Matty Ferguson - Gone, not good enough, too many defenders ahead of him, especially with the return of Goddard, Baker and Attard.
Shane Birss - Hopefully force himself into the 22
Barry Brooks - Gone
Brad Howard - Too early, doesn't look good though.
Andrew McQualter - Gone
James Gwilt - 50/50 chance to earn a spot, keep him as a depth player atleast
Clinton Jones - Gone, shouldn't even make it to next year
Steven Milne - Stay 30+ goals a year is good enough, hopefully Kosi and Roo can be 50+ goal scorers and we can have a couple of midfielders kick 20+ chuck in a Watts or Pettifer type player to kick 30+ and we'll go allright.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Fergus Watts - His future depends on our recruiting, if we pick up someone like Pettifer you would assume that he is done, if not he should be able to force himself into our 22
Michael Gardiner - Hopefully he'll come good but doubt it, our final hope will be Van Rheenan, unless we could pick up Wood or Hudson.
Matty Ferguson - Gone, not good enough, too many defenders ahead of him, especially with the return of Goddard, Baker and Attard.
Barry Brooks - Gone
Andrew McQualter - Gone
Steven Milne - Stay 30+ goals a year is good enough, hopefully Kosi and Roo can be 50+ goal scorers and we can have a couple of midfielders kick 20+ chuck in a Watts or Pettifer type player to kick 30+ and we'll go allright.
i pretty much agree with all of that

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:That's if they are lucky enough stay on the list until Nov...I think all their Contracts are up at the end of 2008

Xavier Clarke
Fergus Watts
Michael Gardiner
Matty Ferguson
Shane Birss
Barry Brooks
Brad Howard
Andrew McQualter
James Gwilt
Clinton Jones
Steven Milne

We are only likely to have ONE retirement....and you'd expect 4-5 of those to be delisted
you forgot ross lyon

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Howard will be given until at least 2009. Very raw, and this was known when he was recruited. If he keeps improving and does not stagnate, he will stay.

However, if he's still struggling to play games in the Scorps Seniors at the end of 2008, things don't look good.
Howard should have never been our second pick. Huge mistake. Would have still been around late in the draft..

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Barry Brooks - Gone
Andrew McQualter - Gone

What is this facsination with Van Rheenan?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:
Otiman wrote:Howard will be given until at least 2009. Very raw, and this was known when he was recruited. If he keeps improving and does not stagnate, he will stay.

Howard should have never been our second pick. Huge mistake. Would have still been around late in the draft..
That's why we didn't take Judd at #2 ... he was supposed to be around later in the draft.

Apparently the Bulldogs were keen on taking Howard with their third pick (46) which would have meant we couldn't have taken him.

Howard looked very impressive in the final the Scorps lost and from all reports played some decent footy in the seniors in the second half of the year.

He's 19/20 and very light-on ... deserves a couple of years before we crucify him.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Barry Brooks - Gone
Andrew McQualter - Gone

What is this facsination with Van Rheenan?
Our current ruckmen are:
Kosi- Needed in the forward line.
Gardiner - May never come good with injuries
Brooks - has played 1 good game, what is going to change?
Rix - Low quality VFL player
Blake - Not a ruckman
Van Rheenan - Our last hope.
That is why there is such a fascination about him...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

I can tell you from watching both Barry and Luke........Baz has more talent in his little toe.....and has done since he was 17......massive confidence issues/workload queries with Baz but his skill level makes Luke look ordinary in comparison.....Luke is a younger Beau McDonald, tall but poorly skilled....Barry's one good game may be one more game than Luke plays.....Luke would be 3-4 years away IF he keeps improving...IF not he will be delisted....he made some progress in 07...long way to go...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

VR is still too young brooks should have more talent then him hes been in the system for 5 years now i think every one would agree VR is a project and if it fail well at least it didnt cost us a first rounder

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:I can tell you from watching both Barry and Luke........Baz has more talent in his little toe.....and has done since he was 17......massive confidence issues/workload queries with Baz but his skill level makes Luke look ordinary in comparison.....Luke is a younger Beau McDonald, tall but poorly skilled....Barry's one good game may be one more game than Luke plays.....Luke would be 3-4 years away IF he keeps improving...IF not he will be delisted....he made some progress in 07...long way to go...
If Luke is younger Beau McDonald I would take him in a heartbeat. Played brilliantly in a GF and before injury was going to be a very good ruckman.

Brooks please how many years and coaches should he have before people realise he lacks something. It may not be skill but it is something.

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

From what reports did Brad play well in the last half of the season in the seniors......He played the last 8 games in the Casey twos (except the final - Makepeace was a late withdrawel)......He is a struggler..(much in the same way Raymond was - just not up to it)..which is why he cannot hold a senior spot at Casey......is a good athlete (but too small)...doesn't find the pill easy..a poor kick, and a terrible decision maker...

Geary is a sh*tload better

Eddy better still

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Are you sure he played brilliantly....he only played in the one.....Clarke Keating did most of the rucking and dominated...Beau played second fiddle against a kid in Josh Fraser.....I would suggest Beau had less than 5 touches...

Beau McDonald was a reasonable tap ruckman at best who offered very little around the ground (ala Matty Clarke) he was made to look good by one of the best midfields in history......

VR - would be a similar type if he develops.....

Brooks was a far superior player at 17......he played for Tas seniors in the VFL.....and was the AA under 18 Ruckman after a stellar carnival.....his development skewed and he has struggled, but has always been a dominant player at Casey....

Solar
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:From what reports did Brad play well in the last half of the season in the seniors......He played the last 8 games in the Casey twos (except the final - Makepeace was a late withdrawel)......He is a struggler..(much in the same way Raymond was - just not up to it)..which is why he cannot hold a senior spot at Casey......is a good athlete (but too small)...doesn't find the pill easy..a poor kick, and a terrible decision maker...

Geary is a sh*tload better

Eddy better still
I actually thought howard gave the scorps dash off the half back line in that final. Personally I would tell both geary and howard that the running HBF position is up for grabs if one of them trains the house down over pre-season. Agree on geary, in fact if this kid can make the grade it will release gram onto a wing/midfield rotation.

Barry has always had that talent but IMO he is the type that needs to be given support and encouragement. VR is really tall and competes well in the ruck situations but will not be a cox around the ground.

On the OP

Xavier Clarke - agree, but very positive it will make him
Fergus Watts - Will get first shot at FF unless fev comes to us
Michael Gardiner - No real loss, needs to play from get go and build up his match fitness
Matty Ferguson - might get more game time with fisher moving into the midfield. Him and gwilt are playing for their careers in 2008
Shane Birss - I rate him, will replace thommo in the line up
Barry Brooks - If he gets given a chance for a few games could be a suprise packet. If not will be delisted
Brad Howard - has the tools, can he learn to play the game now?
Andrew McQualter - baker and attard going down might save his career. Make him into baker mrk2
James Gwilt - Personally is struggling. At least he gives us some type of backman in our depth
Clinton Jones - some players know how to play at the next level, CJ doesn't have those tools
Steven Milne - could be over taken, but I like his team game in 2007.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Was told by someone who was at the game that Howard had played alright, and had been told he was doing well in the second part of the year ... didn't realise it was for the Scorps 2nd's !!

Good to hear you see something in Geary and Eddy. If one or both of these two guys can come good then it would be a huge bonus for us.

Geary would seem likely to be promoted. Do you think he can make an impact at AFL level next year st.mart??

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
lefty
Club Player

Should be fine.
Xavier Clarke
Fergus Watts
Michael Gardiner
Shane Birss
Steven Milne

Not Sure.
Matty Ferguson
Barry Brooks
Brad Howard
Andrew McQualter
James Gwilt
Clinton Jones

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:That's if they are lucky enough stay on the list until Nov...I think all their Contracts are up at the end of 2008

Xavier Clarke
Fergus Watts
Michael Gardiner
Matty Ferguson
Shane Birss
Barry Brooks
Brad Howard
Andrew McQualter
James Gwilt
Clinton Jones
Steven Milne

brooks, mini, fergo would surely be the 3 definates

and considering harvey will more than likely retire...

thats already 4

however its 12 months+ away (hopefully) so lets not worry too much about it

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Geary WILL debut in 2008.......likely to make an impact moreso in 2009....he is a bit light on at 72kg....good pace, good skills, finds the pill....Can play small fwd/small back.....improving defensive game

Eddy physically is ready......big engine, finds the ball, has a solid game....his problem will be pace - whilst he is a good distance runner he aint overly quick.....solid boy at 82kg.....a bit of Leigh Fisher about him - nothing fancy....just a solid dependable HBF/Mid....improving defensive game

CJ - mature body, flashy mover....wins the footy and runs with it......poor disposal, and often poor decision making....does everything at full tilt....Can lay tackles, but can be unaccountable..

Armo....Strong body (83kg), hits the man/ball hard....has a nasty streak......Good solid skills.....OK turn of speed, but rarely carries the footy, and prefers to dish off - ala Simon Black/Luke Ball...can play off HB or at HF....or be inside...a bit lazy, and lacks second eforts/chasing and accountability, mainly due to average aerobic fitness - needs to trim down

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:Are you sure he played brilliantly....he only played in the one.....Clarke Keating did most of the rucking and dominated...Beau played second fiddle against a kid in Josh Fraser.....I would suggest Beau had less than 5 touches...
He played in 2, and they were both pathetic efforts.

1 handball, 18 hitouts

0 disposals, 0 hitouts