Rod Butterss - how to maintain your position: a plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Rod Butterss - how to maintain your position: a plan

If I were RB and I wanted to stay President, I would implement as much of the following as possible:
  • 1. Announce new major sponsors within the next month

2. Hold a press conference to outline a "5 year plan", setting out the direction you will take the football club in for the next five years - regarding revenue, football spending, injuries, training facility etc. (heavy on detail to undermine the challengers)

3. Outline a succession plan for the position of President

4. Ask Ken Sheldon to resign, and advertise for the position (lose the battle to win the war on this one) - get the best person in the AFL

5. Apologise for your comments re: GT earlier in the year, and recognise they destabilised the club but that both of you have moved on

6. Come on saintsational for a controlled chat with members, or allow representatives from SS to put questions to you - show you are listening to the members

7. Get Matt Maguire and Xavier Clarke signed up ASAP, even if you have to do it yourself

8. Inject some more football experience onto the board in the form of a recently retired past player

9. Send to all members (paid for with your own money) a brochure outlining your track record, your five-year plan and include a proxy form for them to vote with
Do that Rod and you are in with a fighting chance.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

You lock threads and then start new ones

What is going on.

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:You lock threads and then start new ones

What is going on.
agree.

Come on other mods - this mod has got the RB disease himself....full of contradictions!

Thread locked by the users - don't comment on it and it will go nowhere!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rod Butterss - how to maintain your position: a plan

Oh When the Saints wrote:If I were RB and I wanted to stay President, I would implement as much of the following as possible:
  • 1. Announce new major sponsors within the next month

2. Hold a press conference to outline a "5 year plan", setting out the direction you will take the football club in for the next five years - regarding revenue, football spending, injuries, training facility etc. (heavy on detail to undermine the challengers)

4. Ask Ken Sheldon to resign, and advertise for the position (lose the battle to win the war on this one) - get the best person in the AFL

5. Apologise for your comments re: GT earlier in the year, and recognise they destabilised the club but that both of you have moved on

6. Come on saintsational for a controlled chat with members, or allow representatives from SS to put questions to you - show you are listening to the members

7. Get Matt Maguire and Xavier Clarke signed up ASAP, even if you have to do it yourself

8. Inject some more football experience onto the board in the form of a recently retired past player

9. Send to all members (paid for with your own money) a brochure outlining your track record, your five-year plan and include a proxy form for them to vote with
Do that Rod and you are in with a fighting chance.
Got to the first point and stopped.

Vodafone contracted to end of October

saint4life
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't mean you can't announce potential sponsors.

Vodafone dumped us ... not the other way around.

Unless it is written into the contract that we can't announce new sponsors (which I highly doubt), then I can't see a problem.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Doesn't mean you can't announce potential sponsors.

Unless it is written into the contract that we can't announce new sponsors (which I highly doubt), then I can't see a problem.
Why would you announce a potential until they were.

St.k. FC and vodafone have a contract to 31/10/07

Vodafone not discussing a further contract.

saint4life
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It's not about Rod Butterss.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Fully aware of that ...

I support SFF.

But if I were Butterss and wanted to hold onto my position (as he clearly does - whether because he believes it is for the best of the club or for his ego I'm not sure) then I would adopt a strategy like the one above.

At this stage, Butterss isn't giving anyone any reason to vote for him apart form his record.

But when you are talking about the future, it's not much use campaigning entirely on the past.

Butterss is only going to stand a chance if he is proactive.

Fear and spin won't get him anywhere, and he needs some credibility for the future.

I hope he is defeated - but just outlining my thoughts on how he might salvage this.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Great thread and one worth having.

Excellent opening post, too.

It's about time someone put forward what we actually want to see from RB.

I'd suggest it's actually the bare minimum, OWTS - I believe he also needs to outline a concrete plan for the club committing moving to a training facility by a set date. Show some ambition; put your neck on the line and give us achievable timeframes and deadlines (eg: you can't put a timeline on a flag, but you can say we'll have a state of the art faciliity ready by 2010 - very plausible).

He needs to re-connect with the membership base. Get down and dirty with the fans - have a look at David Smorgon and Eddie McGuire...they're always amongst the fans...hell, even Jeff Kennett is. RB looks like he'd rather dicuss the future of St Kilda FC with nip/tuck over the rest of us.

We are more than just numbers and dollars in a spreadsheet. I reckon Westaway understands this. After all - up until now, he was just like the rest of us and knows exactly how the rest of us feel.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

How should Rod maintain his position??

Next time, don't walk too close to the edge of the podium after a particularly good dinner!! :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's not about Rod Butterss.
your joking right
all the fluff SFF spout on and on about increased spendin bringing more sponcers more memberrs ect it all boils down to they dont want RB as the prez rightfully or wrongfully its all about RB

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
your joking right
all the fluff SFF spout on and on about increased spendin bringing more sponcers more memberrs ect it all boils down to they dont want RB as the prez rightfully or wrongfully its all about RB
Does it?

I must have missed something then.

I thought it was due to any of the following....

- no sponsors
- losing members
- worst facilities in the comp
- no home ground
- bitter fighting within the current board
- lack of funding for our core business - footy
- 4 years of terrible injuries
- Steven Baker

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Doesn't mean you can't announce potential sponsors.

Why would you announce a potential until they were.

St.k. FC and vodafone have a contract to 31/10/07

Vodafone not discussing a further contract.
Theres nothing stopping us fgrom signing any new sponsors, even while Vodafone is contracted.

Vodafone have nothing to do with any potential sponsors, nor should they. They have announced that they are leaving as soon as the contract is up, and the club have backed it.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: - no home ground
Did we get kicked out of TD then? Must've missed that one. :?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
your joking right
Does it?

- no sponsors
- losing members
- no home ground
- Steven Baker
if that was the case then where was SFF in 2000 - 2006 ??? last time i checked it has been a revolving door for sponsors for years
we has less members in 2000
our facillities have been terrible for years
we havent had a home ground for over a decade
board fighting nothing new there
lack of funding when we increasd the funding this year with more to be used next year
injurys were on the mend towards the end of this year
Baker was shoddy legal advice and a bad track record that NB being on the MRP would of helped get

so its only now that Sff think its time to make a change , when the changes are already in motion ?
the fact is RB made a fool of himself on too many occasions and with that he will be removed SFF havent given us anythng new what they are going to do its just a move to out RB and his sympathisers

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
your joking right
Does it?

- no sponsors
- losing members
- no home ground
- Steven Baker
if that was the case then where was SFF in 2000 - 2006 ??? last time i checked it has been a revolving door for sponsors for years
lack of funding when we increasd the funding this year with more to be used next year
Baker was shoddy legal advice and a bad track record that NB being on the MRP would of helped get

so its only now that Sff think its time to make a change , when the changes are already in motion ?
the fact is RB made a fool of himself on too many occasions and with that he will be removed SFF havent given us anythng new what they are going to do its just a move to out RB and his sympathisers
Without arguing every point you've put forward (which I could), it doesn't where they were, they're here now.

Change is required.

For the right reasons too, I might add.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
Of course I was referring to our home base (ie. Morrabbin)

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
riccardo wrote:
Of course I was referring to our home base (ie. Morrabbin)
As far as I know, Moorabbin is still there, and it is still the ground we use to train on.

Stating we have "no" home ground, even training base wise, is not correct.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the fact of the matter SFF didnt see the need to come in a fix the problems when it was the GT and RB show but now that GT is gone and RB made a fool of himself its now important call a spade a spade man
if RB needs to be removed then so be it but we wouldnt be talking bout this had he not fired GT and then had a public spat with him over it
RB sealed his own fate by his actions not by how he run the club

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:[if that was the case then where was SFF in 2000 - 2006 ??? last time i checked it has been a revolving door for sponsors for years

Less members in 2000 - RB and his board were new at the time, and were given time to rectify the problem.
Revolving doors with sponsors - completely right. Why has that occured?? Thats why we need change. I wonder how many people know that the club is currently being sued by a former major sponsor over breach of contract?
Facilities? Plans were drawn up - by NB of all people - early 2004 for the redevelopment of Moorabbins facilities. Was green lighted. Whats happened since then?
Board fighting, whats new? When was the last time a sitting board member felt the need to start a board challenge? Thats right, START a board challenge.
increase in funding. Three years too late. More details about club cost cutting will be posted in the coming days from my and HD's meeting with Westaway and Burke.
Injuries... same as funding.
Baker - surely you're not blaming Burke for his bad record? baker was given bad advice by the club. Everyone knows it.

Good enough?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:[if that was the case then where was SFF in 2000 - 2006 ??? last time i checked it has been a revolving door for sponsors for years

Less members in 2000 - RB and his board were new at the time, and were given time to rectify the problem.
Revolving doors with sponsors - completely right. Why has that occured?? Thats why we need change. I wonder how many people know that the club is currently being sued by a former major sponsor over breach of contract?
Facilities? Plans were drawn up - by NB of all people - early 2004 for the redevelopment of Moorabbins facilities. Was green lighted. Whats happened since then?
Board fighting, whats new? When was the last time a sitting board member felt the need to start a board challenge? Thats right, START a board challenge.
increase in funding. Three years too late. More details about club cost cutting will be posted in the coming days from my and HD's meeting with Westaway and Burke.
Injuries... same as funding.
Baker - surely you're not blaming Burke for his bad record? baker was given bad advice by the club. Everyone knows it.

Good enough?
thats fine and i agree with most but as you said the spending is 3 years to late then isnt this board challenge 3 years late ?? im not saying RB has been a perfect pres and im not saying SFF wont do a better job but what i am saying is that SFF wouldnt be here today if RB and GT didnt have their spat
and the way he has carried on in the last year has forced this action from SFF

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I hindsight stTrav the challenge is 3 years too late....correct.

But how were we to know back in 2004 how RB would run the club over the following 3 years? There wasn't a forward plan released for anyone to critique - at that stage we were on the verge (we thought) of a flag so player development/training facilities etc wasn't on the front page of thinking by the masses...BUT that is no excuse.....we all know what Port have done since 2004 AFTER they won a flag for instance!

All that I read I can see why Burkey is so pissed off at the current admin and why he had to leave his coaching position......there was no way he could continue working in that environment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I hindsight stTrav the challenge is 3 years too late....correct.

But how were we to know back in 2004 how RB would run the club over the following 3 years? There wasn't a forward plan released for anyone to critique - at that stage we were on the verge (we thought) of a flag so player development/training facilities etc wasn't on the front page of thinking by the masses...BUT that is no excuse.....we all know what Port have done since 2004 AFTER they won a flag for instance!

All that I read I can see why Burkey is so pissed off at the current admin and why he had to leave his coaching position......there was no way he could continue working in that environment.
so are you willing to admit that GT is as much to blame for the situation we are in as RB is ?

kaos theory
Club Player

If I were RB and I wanted to stay President, I would implement as much of the following as possible:

1. Announce new major sponsors within the next month

NOT quite OWTS...the main thing he needs to do is get a high calibre cohesive & comitted team to enabling him the best chance to execute a decent plan. A plan in itself solves nothing. We are talking about taking an organization into the unknown, this is not an investment decsion on whether or not we are upgrading plant machinary (where most of the variables are well understood).

He needs a quality TEAM on his board, and he doesn't have that. THAT is his BIGGEST failing. The challengers are significantly more capable, and that is what's most important.

Brian Collis
Club Player

Thread Locked