Ross Lyon and St Kilda Football Club - Great Work

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:The only thing i can see is that CJ is quicker
That was his reputation from the WAFL, but I must confess that he hasn't looked lightning fast to me in the games that he has played. Perhaps he is a quick runner in a non-football situation, but it's not obvious in the AFL. And you could make a cup of tea in the time it takes him to dispose of the ball (usually with the result of a hospital pass or a direct turnover).

If it's simply about speed, why not Howard? He looked far quicker than CJ in the two games he played IMO. Perhaps his skills weren't all that terrific, but then CJ's certainly aren't.

I know it probably seems like I have it in for the guy, but to me he looks like a project player who needs a lot of work on the training field and in the VFL before he will be ready for AFL, if ever.

He is a contrast to Attard who, although he has extremely limited skills, uses them to his best advantage at the AFL level, so the question only becomes one of whether you should include Attard ahead of players who might be able to make a greater contribution. With CJ, the question is why you should include him at all when he doesn't seem to cut it at the AFL level.

However, others clearly see this differently to me, and they are the ones who select the side!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Get a clue Ross, stop being a Dunce!!

CJ is disposal skills more likely to be seen at Yoralla than the AFL!

Fair Dinkum, are you serious??

Sure, Thommo is not the same player as he was a few years back, but he has some consistent VFL form from reports and 70 minutes of Thommo is surely better than 100 minutes of errors and turnovers and shocking disposal from CJ!

Great post OWTS.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
3:16
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:andrew thompson and Brett Voss > Birss and Clint Jones.

Voss faster than birss,
Do you play for the " team quoted by ch 7" or what????? As good as V2 has been, there is no way, he is quicker than Birss!!!!! I understand, your point, but that is taking it too extremes!!!!! I know this for a fact!!!!!

Dan, lay off the ice my friend!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Darren
Club Player

Wow, Ross didn't choose Thommo in the line up....

...BIG FARKING DEAL!

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned but anyway...

Has Thomo been listed as an emergency? If he has he will most probably come into the line up if the Crows win on friday night.

If the Pies win we need to select the best side possible, if Thomo is not in that then unfortunately he's stiff.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned but anyway...

Has Thomo been listed as an emergency? If he has he will most probably come into the line up if the Crows win on friday night.

If the Pies win we need to select the best side possible, if Thomo is not in that then unfortunately he's stiff.
Well said!!!

FFS..Cannot believe all the hand wringing about this

How DARE RL pick our best 22 for a game that may decide the fate of our season.

He's named as an emergency..if we cant make finals he (and Geary I suspect) will come in

IM very comfortable with that...and I reckon AT is too!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mehe babbleheaps and Danwannabeafootballanalyst you have no clue whatsoever and make stuff up - seriously go back and read what your saying.

CJ and Thompson are about par right now - both ordinary kicks and turn it over, both hard at the footy (Thommo shade ahead here) 1 IS VERY QUCIK (despite Babblelots telling us ..."I have seen no evidence of this...."bla blah blah....I suggest you WATCH babble...) and 1 is treacle slow.

We are playing Tiges - they have some very handy and quick players especially Deledio and Foley who both have some serious speed and there are others also.

IF Adelaide win - Thommo plays, band plays, streamers come down on a super career.

IF Collingwood wins - best available team plays finals, Thommo aint in it..and in these games some younger players get a taste for the pressure of September.

Sensible approach by Lyon and Co here for mine........some amazing hystrionuics on this thread......give yourself an uppercut!

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Leo.J wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned but anyway...

Well said!!!

FFS..Cannot believe all the hand wringing about this

How DARE RL pick our best 22 for a game that may decide the fate of our season.

He's named as an emergency..if we cant make finals he (and Geary I suspect) will come in

IM very comfortable with that...and I reckon AT is too!!!!!

Exactly....

and I think thata few forget that the Tigers gave us a fright last time.....and this time around one of their main weapons will be PACE.....so Voss out...and CJ in fora bit of toe.

So tell me all those baking Ross for picking what he believes is our best team...

If the Pies win, but we LOST BUt Thommo had his last game would you be happy???

The Weagles rested players for what they thought would be an easy game against the Lions???

If we were arrogant to play players just because we thought it would be easy.....don't you think that may fire up the Tiges a might????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Mehe babbleheaps and Danwannabeafootballanalyst you have no clue whatsoever and make stuff up - seriously go back and read what your saying.

CJ and Thompson are about par right now - both ordinary kicks and turn it over, both hard at the footy (Thommo shade ahead here) 1 IS VERY QUCIK (despite Babblelots telling us ..."I have seen no evidence of this...."bla blah blah....I suggest you WATCH babble...) and 1 is treacle slow.

We are playing Tiges - they have some very handy and quick players especially Deledio and Foley who both have some serious speed and there are others also.

IF Adelaide win - Thommo plays, band plays, streamers come down on a super career.

IF Collingwood wins - best available team plays finals, Thommo aint in it..and in these games some younger players get a taste for the pressure of September.

Sensible approach by Lyon and Co here for mine........some amazing hystrionuics on this thread......give yourself an uppercut!
You really can mock people quite unpleasantly :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
battye
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:CJ and Thompson are about par right now
I stopped paying attention here.

Thompson is about 11 years better off than Clint Jones. Jones is useless, and his last few games for St Kilda have been pathetic.

Thompson is a proven performer who you know will give you something on match day. Like Peckett in the finals series over the last few years, Thompson would be invaluable in finals or an elimination match (which is essentially what the game vs Tigers will be if the Pies win).

To say that the two are about par is just ridiculous.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Teflon wrote:CJ and Thompson are about par right now
I stopped paying attention here.

Thompson is about 11 years better off than Clint Jones. Jones is useless, and his last few games for St Kilda have been pathetic.

Thompson is a proven performer who you know will give you something on match day. Like Peckett in the finals series over the last few years, Thompson would be invaluable in finals or an elimination match (which is essentially what the game vs Tigers will be if the Pies win).

To say that the two are about par is just ridiculous.
No you stopped paying attention in grade 2.

You DO NOT judge Thompson on what he HAS done over a great career - judge him on his output right now in the context of the side we are about to play and in the manner in which we WANT to play into the future.

Its akin to saying Kouta was at his peak this year when he retired??????

Next week: Geography...read up... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

CJ MAY be a good player eventually but he has shown NOTHING in the seniors.

it is very hard to for V2 and thommo to do anything in the seniors as it seems every time they get selected they play on the bench after doing well game after game in casey.

can't see jones being anywhere near as good as thomo for all the time he has spent running around in the seniors.

CJ may EVENTUALLY be a good player but he isn't one yet.

as for birss, watching him running in the seniors...he has no pace. V2 actually beat him to the ball a few weeks ago and because birss didn't shepherd for V2, V2 pulled back and shepherded for birss at which point he butchered the ball.

Birss is a GOP so far, the adelaide game showed he can play, but he is ordinary, CJ? no point in being fast if he can't mark, kick or handpass...which CJ hasn't done effectively in the seniors to date.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Is Thommo 100% fit?

Are we still in the race for a finals slot?

IF we make the finals might the coach want to know if Gwilt, CJ and Fergi can do specific tasks????? IF so is it better to find out against the Tigers or when we play finals???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

You are full of facts..................are you OWTS

or shooting off at the mouth without the knowledge?????

saint4life
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think Thommo deserves a spot regardless of whether it was his last game or not

IMO, all things considered, Thommo is a better choice than CJ

he is not as slow as people say, and CJ isn't as quick

whats the point of being the fastest player in the league if u can't find the ball, and when u do ur disposal is pathetic

i don't know where the idea that Thommos disposal is bad came from, its no worse that Ball or Gilbert, and at least he can get in and under a pack andget a clearence

i think if Thommo was given a decent run on the ground, you would see he's still a valuable contributer

and lets not get started on the choice of Gwilt over Voss

wheres Gwilt gonna play, and on who? Richo, Brown? they would absolutly pants him. With Maguire, S and L Fisher, Gilbert and Gram, there is no spot for him in the backline

IMO Voss and Thommo should have a spot in our team on form alone, ahead of others in our current 22

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Teflon wrote:Mehe babbleheaps and Danwannabeafootballanalyst you have no clue whatsoever and make stuff up - seriously go back and read what your saying.

You really can mock people quite unpleasantly :roll:
and you've just noticed Im the ONLY one on the board with this ability have you?????.....your allowing your objectivity to creep in again.... :roll:

take it to PM or I'll lock the thread... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I'll admit I am not a huge Thommo fan, but I do agree with OWS on this one. I don't think CJ's done enough. I know RL is worried about the Tigers pace, so I know where he is coming from. But he he did make a mistake with Thommo on this..RL shame, shame, shame!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

if adelaide wins we should play thommo (if he's fit) and give him a good send off. been a great and underrated clubman over many years.

if collingwood wins we should play our best team, which, imo, thommo is not in ... but that's only imo.

if we attack as we have over the past few weeks we should easily account for bottom-placed richmond.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Re: Ross Lyon and St Kilda Football Club - ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

Oh When the Saints wrote:I have been one of Ross Lyon's strongest supporters, and have defended him on this forum and speaking to others all year.

But he's going to cop it now.

How on earth can he not select Andrew Thompson for what will be his last game of AFL football for St Kilda?

Thompson has played 200 games for the Saints, won our B&F in 2000 and was a stalwart during the lean years when we were down the bottom.

He is one of the toughest and most respected footballers to ever pull on the red, white and black, and has bled for this club time and time again over his career.

Thommo has battled injury issues this year, but was in the best players in the VFL last week.

At 34, this is going to be his last season.

He deserves a spot for St Kilda for one final time.

Thompson gives everything he has and more. By sheer force of will, he will not let you down and he is more worthy of selection than a couple of blokes who have been named in the team.

His selection ahead of Gwilt, Jones or Blake will not cause us to lose the match ... it will not affect our performance to that degree, and may even improve it.

Don't tell me he wouldn't be better than those guys, regardless of whether Collingwood or Adelaide win.

He has given everything to the club, and should have earnt something back.

Ross Lyon, you do NOT UNDERSTAND the history of this club.

You have not seen us suffer and hope over recent decades.

You have no idea about what a bloke like Andrew Thompson has given to this club, and the sacrifice and committment he has made.

Fair enough, walk in here for 5 minutes and coach us.

But try and have some respect for our history and for those who deserve our gratitude and loyalty.

You, Ross Lyon, are an absolute disgrace for not selecting Andrew Thomspon this week. The St Kilda football club is an absolute disgrace for not selecting him.

Farking shameful effort Lyon.

Get your act together.
OMG where do I start. I am so upset that Thommo is not getting his promised farewell game. In all my years of following St Kilda, Thommo has been the only "fav" player who has been loyal! And what does he get for that. Nothing.................. Disgracefull St Kilda

Qld Saints Supporter Group
JeffDunne

I am really disappointed how Andrew Thompson has been treated all season. Listening to him on SEN it's clear he is disappointed too but refuses to dump on coach or club. He's been as he always is, total class.

No press conference to announce his retirement? No announcement of a farewell game? Unless there's a chance he'll play on next year then it is really disappointing.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I am really disappointed how Andrew Thompson has been treated all season. Listening to him on SEN it's clear he is disappointed too but refuses to dump on coach or club. He's been as he always is, total class.

No press conference to announce his retirement? No announcement of a farewell game? Unless there's a chance he'll play on next year then it is really disappointing.
Injury and form have impacted on his chances for selection at afl level.

Have listened to Andrew many times on SEN throughout the year...

when talking about his retirement HE WANTED it low key with no fuss

and wanted to be selected on form......

Thommo made it quite clear early in the season he would retire at end of 2007...

SO WHY have a presser in the last week or so??

the bagging of the club here without FACTS by a number of posters
is annoying

also a reflection of todays society to just about bag anything

saint4life
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Thommo will be playing a final for Casey on the weekend maybe he feels his value is there. Rather than spend long periods on the bench in the seniors as a token geture he will play a very important role in the Scorps finals campaign.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I am really disappointed how Andrew Thompson has been treated all season. Listening to him on SEN it's clear he is disappointed too but refuses to dump on coach or club. He's been as he always is, total class.

Thommo made it quite clear early in the season he would retire at end of 2007...

is annoying

As for the "bagging of the club here without FACTS by a number of posters is annoying". You presume alot chook23.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
chook23 wrote:

is annoying

As for the "bagging of the club here without FACTS by a number of posters is annoying". You presume alot chook23.
not presuming much at all

saint4life
JeffDunne

chook, I'm not bagging anyone. Thommo's comments on SEN indicate to me he's been disappointed with the lack of communication at times too. Nothing more than that. I've also heard him say many times he knew this season he would be a fringe player and made his decision to play on knowing that.

It is disappointing he isn't being afforded a decent send off and clearly many think so too. Circumstances may warrant that but it doesn't take away from it being disappointing. I'd hate to think Harv's would be allowed to go quietly even if that's what he wanted.

Thommo is respected because he is humble and puts the club first - always. I think this is one time where the interests of the player should have come first. He's earned it.