Ins and Outs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Ins and Outs

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 12:13pm Throwing an idea out… would you not let the Tassie boy Arie Schoonerdeleter come in and play in his home state? Kid has been amassing 20+ disposals a week in Sandy since round 1
Goof idea, in good enough form to warrant a call up

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 12:13pm Throwing an idea out… would you not let the Tassie boy Arie Schoonerdeleter come in and play in his home state? Kid has been amassing 20+ disposals a week in Sandy since round 1
Goof idea, in good enough form to warrant a call up

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Zac is the perfect sub.

Crashes around like a wasp in a bottle for fifteen minutes. Coule be just wjhat we need in a tense last quarter.

And if by chance he has to come on early, well, he's experienced.

Big Max
Club Player

Hopefully Henry is back, probably at the expense of Hastie.

I'd also like to give Shoemaker a game in his home state, possibly at the expense of Cordy.

Philipou is an interesting one, I was at the game against North and he seemed to be running good patterns, he wasn't really beaten badly in one-on-one's, but rather he was mostly where the ball wasn't. It's just possible RTB is teaching him to develop other strengths in his game, not just the 'wispy' lowish possession half forward who does a few good things from time to time.

Boner gets a lot of the ball, but he's a bit of a butcher and not a very accountable defender. Whilst I'm not his biggest fan, I'd almost prefer Jones against the Hawks.

Byrnes is a Ross Lyon 'gut runner', so I reckon he may retain his spot, personally I reckon he does a bit more than Saints fans give him credit for.

Perhaps Phillipou or Jones as the sub.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I assume those calling for Schoenmaker to come in against the Hawks haven't watched any of the Zebras games he's played.

To put it simply: he doesn't go hard at the ball in the way that one would expect an AFL player to do. He's a great kick, and has a lot of potential, but he is clearly a work in progress.

Big Max: "'I'd also like to give Shoemaker a game in his home state, possibly at the expense of Cordy."

How does that work? Cordy didn't play last week.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Tommyj
Club Player

All I can see at the moment if pou plays we are playing with 17 men .what I see he is playing for playing sake
Should have been dropped 5 weeks ago

spert
Saintsational Legend

So far, Arie is not showing enough to get a senior game at this stage, same for Collard. Dow was ok but nothing spectacular in the last Sandy game. I would like to see Hastie get more senior games as opposed to Pou who looks out of his depth this season.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 7:52pm I assume those calling for Schoenmaker to come in against the Hawks haven't watched any of the Zebras games he's played.

To put it simply: he doesn't go hard at the ball in the way that one would expect an AFL player to do.

And Pou does? Am I living in a parallel universe? Am I the only one who sees him lifting his head too early when he’s trying to pick it up. Am I the only one who sees him running under the ball constantly and when he doesn’t, he flinches when going for marks.

Going hard at the ball clearly isn’t a non negotiable for our coaching panel so don’t think that will rule him out

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 7:52pm I assume those calling for Schoenmaker to come in against the Hawks haven't watched any of the Zebras games he's played.

To put it simply: he doesn't go hard at the ball in the way that one would expect an AFL player to do. He's a great kick, and has a lot of potential, but he is clearly a work in progress.

Big Max: "'I'd also like to give Shoemaker a game in his home state, possibly at the expense of Cordy."

How does that work? Cordy didn't play last week.
I don’t know what Sandy games you have been watching but I go most weeks or watch it at home. The kids a jet. You diss his defensive game, you obviously weren’t watching, he kept Finbar Maley there key forward who they are developing to second fiddle Larkey to one goal and the goal was lace out on the lead that not even Wilkie could defend AND Arie wasn’t his direct opponent and was thrown on him. He even did a ripping spoil in the third term. He’s got defensive attributes. You can’t have a go at him for being an interceptor which is a defensive act in of himself, but rip him apart for not being a hard at the ball player. I would argue Wilkie isn’t very hard at the ball either. It’s their game style.

Kid kicks bombs to the goal square on the wing. Takes a lot of intercepts. Stays in the right positions.

On the Sandy game, people were dissing Dow. I thought he had a good game. Laced out Camminti from a tap in the centre square in the first term. Fed it out to Zak Jones numerous times. Laid some big tackles. Kicked a goal. I think he’s worth the call up to help out in the midfield.

Lance Collard should be in the frame for Sir Doug Nichols round and he was really good this weekend at Sandy. Wasn’t throwing tantrums at all. Every goal he went to the bench and on the headset nodding and talking.

Ross and Misson were there and pointing and talking after Collards goal and clapping when Dow laced out the Hammer to convert the first goal.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Big Max wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 7:42pm Hopefully Henry is back, probably at the expense of Hastie.

I'd also like to give Shoemaker a game in his home state, possibly at the expense of Cordy.

Philipou is an interesting one, I was at the game against North and he seemed to be running good patterns, he wasn't really beaten badly in one-on-one's, but rather he was mostly where the ball wasn't. It's just possible RTB is teaching him to develop other strengths in his game, not just the 'wispy' lowish possession half forward who does a few good things from time to time.

Boner gets a lot of the ball, but he's a bit of a butcher and not a very accountable defender. Whilst I'm not his biggest fan, I'd almost prefer Jones against the Hawks.

Byrnes is a Ross Lyon 'gut runner', so I reckon he may retain his spot, personally I reckon he does a bit more than Saints fans give him credit for.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 8:45pm
Big Max wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 7:42pm Hopefully Henry is back, probably at the expense of Hastie.

Cordy was dropped last week.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Battle Wilkie Howard
NWM Stocker Phillipou

Marshall Owens Steele
Wood Sinclair Wilson

Henry Hill Garcia
Membrey King Hayes

Windhager Ross Webster Hastie
Sub: Jones

Maybe a another tall required?
E: Bonner Byrnes Paton

# the club won’t drop Bonner
I think Dow is a couple of weeks away

Try Phillipou in the Bonner half back role?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Batchelor, in his review of last Sunday's Sandringham game, wrote that Schoenmaker needed to work on his physicality. That tells me he's not tackling with enough intent and not being hard enough in the air when contesting.

I've seen a few Sandy games and I think that's where he needs to improve. He's got a lot going for him, but I'm not sure he's ready for that level of responsibility yet

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Cannot believe that some want Bonner out.

Yes he misses with his kicks a couple of times, but when it comes off it is elite.

His yearly stats shows he is averaging 4 score involvements and 1.3 score launches per game both above average.

People say he does not defend enough, that is not his role give that to 14,20 and 29, his role is to put the ball inside 50 and look for targets in the corridor. I think that he is doing both of those things just fine.

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
shrodes
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 3:08pm Batchelor, in his review of last Sunday's Sandringham game, wrote that Schoenmaker needed to work on his physicality. That tells me he's not tackling with enough intent and not being hard enough in the air when contesting.

I've seen a few Sandy games and I think that's where he needs to improve. He's got a lot going for him, but I'm not sure he's ready for that level of responsibility yet
He doesn't tackle full stop. Averages 0.6 tackles per game, had 1 on the weekend. He doesn't play a high tackle position but his physicality definitely needs work - one instance I can think of on the weekend, player running towards him, instead of tackling he put a forearm out to avoid getting run into. There was another one where his opponent dropped a mark, down low just let it hit the deck. He just stood there on the mark and didn't enact any pressure and allowed his opponent to easily kick the ball away (I can somewhat forgive this as being a bit slow to realise the mark wasn't paid).

Definitely the big knock on his game in my eyes, and something you don't get just from reading his 26ppg stats off a website. Recommend people try to watch the VFL games if you can :)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yep, Iv'e seen opponents run past him and he hasn't done what he should have. He's unlikely to get promoted the senior team unless he improves in that area.The thing is, it's something that can be fixed

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well someone should kick him up the arse. Apparently has some attitude.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 3:22pm Cannot believe that some want Bonner out.

Yes he misses with his kicks a couple of times, but when it comes off it is elite.

His yearly stats shows he is averaging 4 score involvements and 1.3 score launches per game both above average.

People say he does not defend enough, that is not his role give that to 14,20 and 29, his role is to put the ball inside 50 and look for targets in the corridor. I think that he is doing both of those things just fine.

FQF
Not just Bonner I am talking about here. So, Bonner, NWM and Webster all need to give away the unnecessarily risky kicks to the corridor. Too many easy opposition goals.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 3:22pm Cannot believe that some want Bonner out.

FQF
He's the obvious back-up for Hill, if Hill is unavailable then Bonner is the man.

Clearly not an exact replica, but the modern game requires players who can break a press and get over a zone with the risky long probing kick.

It's why Doogs is valued out of the backline, get's the risky kick horribly wrong occasionally but is elite in that department by foot.

The Bonners and Doogs are easy fodder for the armchair experts.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

FQF
I am not a fan of Bonner.

I think his brand is bruise free footy and his disposal is overrated.

He's lucky the Coaching group wanted Sinclair deployed to the midfield.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Great news

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 7:38pm Zac is the perfect sub.

Crashes around like a wasp in a bottle for fifteen minutes. Coule be just wjhat we need in a tense last quarter.

And if by chance he has to come on early, well, he's experienced.
💯 coaches could give him some instructions, non-negotiables.
E.g. don't try to dodge 3 guys. If you're too close to oppo, dish off handball.
Our guys like to play like rugby union, slow the play down.
Rolling maul. Jones has to be in the middle of those.

IMHO

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Out: Hastie, Garcia
In: Dow, Henry

Byrnes to the sub...although I wouldn't mind if they made Pou the sub

Come to think of it...I wouldn't mind if Pou was dropped completely and played 2-3 games at Sandringham

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sicily out makes our job a bit easier

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintWiki
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 3:52pm Sicily out makes our job a bit easier
yep - no excuses now https://www.afl.com.au/news/1125274/haw ... ould-debut