Darcy Wilson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Darcy Wilson

If Lenny and Jack steel had a kid……………..

Killa
Club Player

Shows both poise and class

And, looking to the future it is my opinion that we have no leg speed player to put on the elite small forwards across the competition so in a side I offered I parked him to cover that deficiency

It was noted that today North Melbourne found plenty of space we could not close down hence scored their goals just far to easily - this included leading space

You are never going to be perfect but there were many areas for attention today

So plenty of incentive for those playing at Sandringham tomorrow

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Amazing game from Wilson

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

murray 66 wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 9:00pm Darcy is going great and still has plenty of up side ahead of him! Knowing his Dad Mick I reckon when Darcy got cleaned up by Wardlaw he would have been yelling at the TV get up Boy, give them nothing.... Hard man Darcy's Dad...
I like the sound of that, he absolutely will be the package if he also has toughness and courage.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s a jet

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Our most impressive first year player since Rooey ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Does he keep Higgins and Butler out of the team??

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:21pm Our most impressive first year player since Rooey ?
Rooey only played 6 games in his first year,.

Wilson's first 8 games are more impressive that Rooey's first 6.

Wilson could well play every game this year given his current form, and so as most impressive first year player as a measure is likely to have a much better debut year that Rooey did.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:40pm Does he keep Higgins and Butler out of the team??
The AFL keeps Higgins out of the team (please don't derail the thread here!)

Butler keeps Butler out of the team.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Wilson is very impressive, reminds me of a better skilled version of Ed Langdon with his running capacity to cover the ground. Not saying he’s better than Langdon after 8 games.

I think Wilson’s draft position potentially suffered as he was so professional and brilliantly prepared as a junior that recruiters may have queried the upside potential, just a theory.

8 games in so not getting carried away, but looks every bit a potential 200 game A grade prospect, even taking into account the small sample size.

If he had been the #2 or #3 pick for North (in his draft) they would not be complaining, quite the opposite.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 9:22am If he had been the #2 or #3 pick for North (in his draft) they would not be complaining, quite the opposite.
Of last years draftees he's definitely in the top 2 so far.

saints66
Club Player

Darcy was given a good rap before the draft I was excited to see we picked him up has proved to be the player to watch and keep a eye on at the moment I watch Hill, Darcey, Owens, Membrey & Windy good effort for a first year hopefully more to see.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:40pm Does he keep Higgins and Butler out of the team??
He could play as a small/medium forward, sure, but he’s far too valuable as part of our struggling and below average midfield

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Higgins for all of his flaws is quite an effective and pretty consistent small forward. If he could straighten up his goal kicking to always mail the gimmies, he’d be elite

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Weren't we having the same discussion about Pou 12 months ago??? Before Ross started 'teaching' him a new role??
https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?t=106013
Now some people want Pou gone

Weren't we having the same discussion about Owens 12 months ago??? Before Ross started 'teaching' him a new role??
Now some people are questioning his worth.

I know Curly was still discussing the Umpires and Dud was calling him Cryin' Curly - maybe I am just caught in the Matrix.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Is Darcy a possible clearance midfielder down the track? Big and strong enough? What do people think is his career trajectory?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

He really reminds me (especially running gate)
To Blake Acres

saint4life
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 5:46pm Is Darcy a possible clearance midfielder down the track? Big and strong enough? What do people think is his career trajectory?
Will depend on how he physically transforms as he gets older , at the moment the kids got an incredible tank and some good footy smarts and skills

The middle in some capacity will be where he ends up I reckon but gee …tough question

Killa
Club Player

It should be a bit of fun watching Hill, Henry and Wilson in the same side

Then Sinclair and Wanganeen-Milara chucked in as cream on the cake

Mind you, having said that Hawthorn look like toppling WB, who gave us a touch up after media were reporting on WB as they were

So who knows?

What is pleasing is that the best players from yesterday (on this forum) included Wilson, Windhager and Wanganeen-Milera

Now for them to set the bar for the remainder of our kids, taking them all with them as they continue to improve

There was not much on offer at VFL level today so you would imagine only Henry in for next week

At whose expense?

Having “left a fair bit on the table” the side ch chosen for the Hawthorn game will be interesting

That there was not a spread of players receiving votes said too much to left to too few

The injuries to Clark and Allison are devastating particularly given their unfortunate injury profiles

Luck, hey?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

RTB said he kept Darcy on the ground after 'that' collision as a statement.
Used 'culture' twice.

Maybe he didn't want Darcy to cop sledges from oppo in future games 'did you go to the bench to cry to mummy on the phone after getting hit, waa waa' or something.
The doc went to him but Tony Brown did as well, telling him to go into F50

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
StPeter
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:06pm He really reminds me (especially running gate)
To Blake Acres
Who much to my chagrin at the time, we basically gave away for nothing.

That decision looks even more foolish now! He always had the potential to develop into something special.

ctqs
Club Player

For those who can't get behind the Herald Sun paywall:

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon defends call to keep injured rookie Darcy Wilson on after collision as a ‘statement of our culture’

When Darcy Wilson stayed out on the ground after being winded in a collision with George Wardlaw on Saturday it wasn’t to avoid an HIA test but a statement of the Saints culture according to Ross Lyon.
Jon Ralph
Jon Ralph
Follow
@RalphyHeraldSun
2 min read
May 5, 2024 - 2:07PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
10 Comments

01:03
St Kilda snap losing run in win over Kangaroos
AFL: The Saints bounced back from their previous three losses with a 38 point... more
View more related videos
Ross Lyon was brazen enough to call out his rival clubs earlier this year for letting Darcy Wilson fall all the way to the No.18 overall pick.
As Lyon said, they didn’t rate the contested side of his game despite Wilson’s reputation as one of the best runners football had ever seen.

On Saturday Lyon got the proof he had the physical courage to go with the bravery it takes to push through the pain barrier when your body is screaming for a rest.

As he and North Melbourne hard nut George Wardlaw collided in a crunching body-on-body hit, the St Kilda trainers attempted to get a bruised Wilson off the ground for assessment.

Lyon wanted to make a stand.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 04: Darcy Wilson of the Saints recovers from a heavy hit during the round eight AFL match between St Kilda Saints and North Melbourne Kangaroos at Marvel Stadium, on May 04, 2024, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 04: Darcy Wilson of the Saints recovers from a heavy hit during the round eight AFL match between St Kilda Saints and North Melbourne Kangaroos at Marvel Stadium, on May 04, 2024, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)
Not for Lyon the “namby pamby” kid gloves approach when an old school method could be applied.

With his player having avoided any hit to the head he was desperate for him to stay on the ground in a symbolic call about what St Kilda stands for.

On a day when Jimmy Webster returned from a seven-week ban for a cheap hit this was Lyon’s statement about St Kilda’s “culture”.

He said any suggestion he had tried to keep Wilson on the ground so he avoided a HIA test was “mischievous” — putting one and one together to “get a million”.

“He is a young player that is playing pretty good football and the knock on him was about his contest but we have seen someone who competes. I thought it was a big contest, the doc said he was winded and they indicated he was fine,” Lyon said.

“I said if he can stay on and he’s fine to stay on then let him stay on. It makes a statement

“We are a club that wants to build success and doesn’t want to get beaten on culture so that’s the culture we want, that is the 50-50 attack on the ball. The ball not the man.

George Wardlaw and Darcy Wilson collide. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
George Wardlaw and Darcy Wilson collide. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
“So if you can stay on and you did what I asked you to do, and it was a big effort you would want to stay on too. The docs would like to get them off but if they can stay on, they stay on.

“That was the question. If he’s right to stay on let’s not be “namby pamby” and wrap him up and get him off when the kid deserved to stay on.”

On Saturday against North Melbourne round 6 Rising Star nominee Wilson had more contested possessions than uncontested for the first time in his eight-game career.

His 21-possession, three goal performance backed up last week’s 21-touch clear-clearance game for a player who also made telling interventions into the Richmond victory at Norwood Oval.

More Coverage

Early Tackle: Blues dudded by ‘mind boggling’ Pendles call

The Goodwin masterclass that ended Cats’ run
While the Saints took a half to overcome the Roos Lyon is expecting to have ex-Fremantle winger Liam Henry straight back into the team next week after a round 3 hamstring injury.

“Henry will be available next week, Hunter Clark will play (VFL) so we are really looking to build out our midfield a bit more than what we have had,” Lyon said.

“I would suggest Liam Henry would come straight back in. He trained well today, played super against Collingwood and Geelong. He brings much needed skill and decision making and speed.”

Originally published as St Kilda coach Ross Lyon defends call to keep injured rookie Darcy Wilson on after collision as a ‘statement of our culture’

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know who the journalist was?

It was an amusing exchange.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 9:03am Does anyone know who the journalist was?

It was an amusing exchange.
Amusing?
Guy was brain dead ….really bad display of journalism…

“Yeah….nah””
Rubyjo
Club Player

Darcy Wilson is the new Darrel Baldock. Prove me wrong .