Team v Roos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Roos

Good in’s .. Sharman will be back in soon enough I’m sure
Nice to see the cat back

spert
Saintsational Legend

If we do our trademark slow start, then Norf might run over us early and we will again have to resort to catch up footy. I just hope we do a better job of tackling and winning one-on-ones

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Would like to have seen Collard get a run

We are tall

BadRossco
Club Player

Good in’s but they maybe a bit under done, hope we are not taking north too lightly as they always make a game of it,
Will be nice to see Dow, Henry and Clark back soon. A bit surprised Collard missed out has pace and can kick a goal maybe even a better option than Higgins or Butler.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I like the ins and outs.

If any one watched the VFL game last week, Hayes was enormous. He was clunking everything, did well in the ruck and laid some big tackles. Definitely warranted selection. He did more in that game than Sharman had done all season and that’s coming from a Sharman fan.

I noticed Hastie is getting a gig on the wing which is a good sign. He played wing in the VFL game and was easily in top 3 for best on ground for that game. Just made some really good decisions and providing a lot of fun and carry.

Lance Collard is an interesting one not being included. I don’t know if anyone watched the VFL game but watch the literal start of the third term and Lance collard was thrown in the middle and read a tap from Marshall and just burst ran and laced up I believe Hayes and it was like watching Shai Bolton. This would be a good game for him to show his potential. However… I noticed in the VFL team a lot of players didn’t utilise him in open space and he was throwing his hands up at team mates, yelling and just had poor body language. I could be reading into it too much but just screamed to me he isn’t happy being at Saints, despite what I’ve read here being settled in. Maybe Ross and Co aren’t playing him because why bother if you don’t want to be here. I’m speculating…

I think we went tall in the forward line because North got no key back men other than a paper over the cracks in Comben and Mckercher and Sheezel will be chipping it in the back all day anyway so no need for the pressure?

George27
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:57pm
George27 wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:34pm Congratulations to Jack Hayes on fighting back from two years of injuries to earn senior selection.
Not to put a dampener on it but he did play late last year against Brisbane at the Gabba.
Sorry about that - I missed that game , visiting my daughter overseas. In any event, I am glad he has another chance !

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:36pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:57pm
George27 wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:34pm Congratulations to Jack Hayes on fighting back from two years of injuries to earn senior selection.
Not to put a dampener on it but he did play late last year against Brisbane at the Gabba.
Sorry about that - I missed that game , visiting my daughter overseas. In any event, I am glad he has another chance !
Yeah, I don't remember that one either.

We are a bit tall in the forward line with no replacement for Higgins (Garcia, I suppose, would be for Butler)?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SteeleSaints
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:31pm I like the ins and outs.

If any one watched the VFL game last week, Hayes was enormous. He was clunking everything, did well in the ruck and laid some big tackles. Definitely warranted selection. He did more in that game than Sharman had done all season and that’s coming from a Sharman fan.

I noticed Hastie is getting a gig on the wing which is a good sign. He played wing in the VFL game and was easily in top 3 for best on ground for that game. Just made some really good decisions and providing a lot of fun and carry.

Lance Collard is an interesting one not being included. I don’t know if anyone watched the VFL game but watch the literal start of the third term and Lance collard was thrown in the middle and read a tap from Marshall and just burst ran and laced up I believe Hayes and it was like watching Shai Bolton. This would be a good game for him to show his potential. However… I noticed in the VFL team a lot of players didn’t utilise him in open space and he was throwing his hands up at team mates, yelling and just had poor body language. I could be reading into it too much but just screamed to me he isn’t happy being at Saints, despite what I’ve read here being settled in. Maybe Ross and Co aren’t playing him because why bother if you don’t want to be here. I’m speculating…

I think we went tall in the forward line because North got no key back men other than a paper over the cracks in Comben and Mckercher and Sheezel will be chipping it in the back all day anyway so no need for the pressure?
Re Collard I don't know if he is happy in Melbourne or not, but his motioning is more about his maturity rather than feeling settled IMO. He is the classic Im an AFL player attitude, its your job to give me the ball. When he learns to work as hard for his team mates as they are, he will receive the ball. But he won't be making any friends at Sandi carrying on like he does at present. It's another reason why he isn't getting AFL games, he has a lot to work on and grow his game.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:02pm Hayes for Caminiti
Wood for Sharman
Webster for Cordy
King for ... Higgins?

I'd love to see King play like a forward pocket. Reckon he'd kick more goals that way.
How exactly? It’s not the 90’s anymore. No one plays positions anymore. Talls play deep forward or mid forward. He’d have the same opponent regardless and the same role

spert
Saintsational Legend

Play King in the midfield- might as well try everyone until someone clicks

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Hayes could need some time to knock the rust off and fingers crossed his body holds up but he is exactly what our structure needs. And not to make too fine a point of it, gee I hope be keeps Sharman out of the team permanently, we look so average and are going nowhere with him in the team, harsh but reality. I feel the same about a few others also, Byrnes being another, we have to keep finding players to remove the types that just aren't part of the future.

Please can we now have some luck with injury and start to build more talent.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 03 May 2024 4:05am
Otiman wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:02pm Hayes for Caminiti
Wood for Sharman
Webster for Cordy
King for ... Higgins?

I'd love to see King play like a forward pocket. Reckon he'd kick more goals that way.
How exactly? It’s not the 90’s anymore. No one plays positions anymore. Talls play deep forward or mid forward. He’d have the same opponent regardless and the same role
What I mean is going for ground ball, front and centre, opportunistic.

He can do it and would probably kick a bag doing so.

aaron82
Club Player

I’m happy with selection.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Lance not being happy in Melbourne. He is absolutely invested in my view & looks a serious player.

I was at the VFL on the weekend & noticed at 3 qtr time huddle Liam Henry with RTB at the huddle talking to Lance. They seem to be encouraging and supportive particularly Liam.

I thought it was superb leadership from Liam. They are both WA boys & appear to have a great connection.

As for his attitude, I had no issue, he baked someone for having a shot on the boundary & not centreing a kick. It was just a f$&k man with the arms out. He made a great chase early on too out of the forward line, ran 100m after someone, didn’t catch them but the inferred pressure caused the ball to be fumbled out of bounds. Some of our other forwards could learn a bit of Lance about chasing & tackling. I was extremely impressed by him.

and that's the bottom line
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think we are currently at a crossroads in development.

Clearly there are two players ready to play AFL in Collard and Schoenmaker.

Bring them in and we're almost too young a side, need some experience beside them for on field coaching and leadership. Especially up forward.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I appreciate all the insight in to Lance Collard. I hope my last comment wasn’t perceived as a dig on him. I actually really rate the lad and I reckon he’s got huge potential. If he can turn out to be a player like Shai Bolton I will be elated. Good to hear that Ross and Henry was there talking to him. He’s almost ready. Same as Schooner-Deleter. I even reckon McLennan is almost ready too. He took like 7 intercept marks and did some nice things but did do a blunder in quarter 2.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Hayes is clearly in to support Marshall.

Xerri bashed and smashed Rowan all day in the practice match at Moorabbin, and probably got the better of him.

The presence of Hayes allows Marshall to rest forward and ensures Xerri will be chasing two blokes with huge tanks all day.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Now that list looks a lot better, lets get the four points and some experience working together for future matches.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Membrey is playing for his career over the next few weeks.

We know Caminiti will be a player. Sharman has proven himself at the level too, but both need to improve aspects of their game. Some time in the VFL for each of them won't do any harm.

But if Membrey can't find himself adding value to a forwardline against North, Hawthorn, and Freo, he might not be on the list in '25.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 03 May 2024 9:30am I think we are currently at a crossroads in development.

Clearly there are two players ready to play AFL in Collard and Schoenmaker.

Bring them in and we're almost too young a side, need some experience beside them for on field coaching and leadership. Especially up forward.
Bonner must be only a couple of clangers away from VFL? Or when Dow and Clark are ready.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 9:56pm Would like to have seen Collard get a run

We are tall
I'm tipping Collard will be the guy that Ross treats a bit differently to the other newbies. He must have said something cheeky or didn't bow when he was supposed to
BadRossco wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 9:58pm Good in’s but they maybe a bit under done

A bit surprised Collard missed out has pace and can kick a goal maybe even a better option than Higgins or Butler.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Collard has been an emergency so he can't be that far off.

Norf were really into him and he was keen too from what I have been told.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 03 May 2024 6:34pm Collard has been an emergency so he can't be that far off.

Carlton fans were saying that SOS picked him because he knew Carlton wanted him. They had next pick after us

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 03 May 2024 7:44pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 03 May 2024 6:34pm Collard has been an emergency so he can't be that far off.

Carlton fans were saying that SOS picked him because he knew Carlton wanted him. They had next pick after us
So? Probably bulls*** anyway.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If true, that’s 2 other clubs that wanted him.

Sounds like 🍋 🍇 though from the blue scum though.

My source is iron clad. Not a rumour.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 03 May 2024 8:21pm

If true, that’s 2 other clubs that wanted him.

Sounds like 🍋 🍇 though from the blue scum.

My source is iron clad. Not a rumour.
Just as well he didn't go to such a s*** club.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!