The Roar opinion piece

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

The Roar opinion piece

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/05/01/s ... 4euwfNlynR

Can’t say i disagree with too much of it.
More pain to come through sheer incompetence.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Roar opinion piece

Comments are better than the stale hit piece.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

That article is all over the place, what has recruiting the likes of Tom Lee got to do with our current ineptness.

That was yesteryears misfortune.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yep. It's a hit piece. One thing you can count on from journos is exaggeration. A team wins by one point and they're superstars, they lose by one point and they're an abject failure.

We're used to getting kicked like this, but it doesn't make it any less nauseating to read or listen to.

18 months ago Carlton were getting whacked and last year it was Fremantle. Before that it was an injury ravaged West Coast who were missing ten of their best players every week. But of course, their form had nothing to do with that according to the journos. Why miss an opportunity to smack a club and coach in that situation. Facts and reason be damned

So here we are again. When there's little to write about, let's just write another article canning the Saints. It's easy work. Just bring up crap from ages ago, ignore the nuance of the current situation and chuck a few cliches together. Voila!

Killa
Club Player

They probably trawl sites such as this for their negative material

Such reporting is symptomatic of media - and the reason they are becoming redundant

There was once a terminology “Whinging Poms”

Well, guess what?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

s***

I’ll informed article

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The scintillating wisdom from our pundit class this week went something like this:

"Geelong and GWS are the best teams in it ... North and Hawthorn are really struggling."

Grown men get paid hundred of thousands for insights like this.

SaintWiki
Club Player

How good is that article!!! Completely overlooking that we began the season with a horror injury list and a fixture from hell - beginning with Geelong at the cat house and Collingwood at the colosseum. The article is stacked with cheap shots directed at our squad and our coach from a member of the media bozo branch.

These writers are not credible journalists, and just like too many of our supporters, are only capable of criticism, impractical ideas and always looking for a chance to throw in the boot.

Lets see how the article performs in the remainder of the season.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Always excuses. This year it was this, that year it was that. Just for once, no excuses would be nice.

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

Doesn’t matter who is in charge, nothing changes.

From what you hear about Basset, he seems to be trying, but we are going backwards….again.

We beat North and Hawks (I’m not convinced we will!) and then maybe win a few games to finish 10th-13th. No mama land (again), s*** draft pick, likely draft poorly and the cycle repeats. It’s why Essendon, Freo, Carlton, etc have well and truely passed us. The bottom sides will pass us at some point too. History says they will and until that changes why would you think any different?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:10am Always excuses. This year it was this, that year it was that. Just for once, no excuses would be nice.

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

From what you hear about Basset, he seems to be trying, but we are going backwards….again.

We beat North and Hawks (I’m not convinced we will!) and then maybe win a few games to finish 10th-13th. No mama land (again), s*** draft pick, likely draft poorly and the cycle repeats. It’s why Essendon, Freo, Carlton, etc have well and truely passed us. The bottom sides will pass us at some point too. History says they will and until that changes why would you think any different?
Essendon fell in against us with a huge injury list.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

A lot of it seemed pretty balanced to me.

My are so many on here obsessed with playing the victim?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cps
Club Player

Most of these games have followed the same trend of early struggles, and only starting to look dangerous when it was too late, or almost so.

Against Essendon in Round 3, St Kilda led at every change before going down...
Bit of a contradiction right there!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:23am A lot of it seemed pretty balanced to me.

Your opinion holds little to any weight. You love an opportunity to sink the slipper in.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:10am Always excuses. This year it was this, that year it was that. Just for once, no excuses would be nice.

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

Can I ask what makes you think we are going backwards? we consistently field one of the youngest 22's each week and have far better young talent than the likes of richmond, north, WC and perhaps even hawthorn. For the first time in a decade we are on the right track.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:23am A lot of it seemed pretty balanced to me.

Your avatar which I have only now just noticed really suits you dudley

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

CURLY wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:21am

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

Curly, go back n watch the Injectors game.
We played an Auskick style, while they were far more precise

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 7:33pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 8:21am

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

Curly, go back n watch the Injectors game.
We played an Auskick style, while they were far more precise
We lost by 3 points FFS

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 4:30pm

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

Can I ask what makes you think we are going backwards? we consistently field one of the youngest 22's each week and have far better young talent than the likes of richmond, north, WC and perhaps even hawthorn. For the first time in a decade we are on the right track.
I just don’t see it. Happy to be wrong, but blind faith in a few young guys doesn’t mean they are any good.
I think Windhager is a perfect example. Currently very overrated by our fans.

King. Very overrated, but we all hope he is going to beak out. It’s his 6th(?) season and he’s nothing like what we need on a consistent basis.

The forward line is a debacle, no midfield and a terrible (being nice) full back.

There are so many holes it isn’t funny. The weekend has the potential for the arse to fall out of the club again with a loss.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 11:32pm

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

I just don’t see it. Happy to be wrong, but blind faith in a few young guys doesn’t mean they are any good.

King. Very overrated, but we all hope he is going to beak out. It’s his 6th(?) season and he’s nothing like what we need on a consistent basis.

The forward line is a debacle, no midfield and a terrible (being nice) full back.

There are so many holes it isn’t funny. The weekend has the potential for the arse to fall out of the club again with a loss.
So sayeth Kane Cornes - and a pestilence will also come, for 24 rounds you will suffer and you will all be damned. I always said you would not amount to nuttin you upstarts. So endith the lesson. Best you give up now. Forget last year making the 8, forget beating the premiers, injuries are a punishment wrought on you for being unworthy. Go on now, git.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 11:32pm

Why can’t we draft well.
Why can’t we develop.

If you get a chance jump on AFL stats and compare windhager's figures to some of the recent high end draft picks that the media are touting as future stars, guys like wardlaw, Ginbey, finn callaghan, Bruhn, Perkins etc... he's stats both this season and over his career match up and in many cases far exceed these guys. I bet if Windhager wore a GWS jersey you would think he's a gun.

Its just as a fan base we place insanely high expectations on kids like him, owens, wilson, Pou etc.. because we have been devoid of young talent like this since probably the GT era.

The side we field on Saturday will be on average younger than north's and should (I hope) blow them off the park.