No Pressure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

No Pressure

According to this article on the AFL website, our pressure over the last 2 weeks is the 8th worst recorded since this started being measured in 2010

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1119457/the ... nd-emerges

I can accept losing when the players leave it all on the ground but this is clearly not happening. If there are players performing well for Sandy, then they need to be brought in at the expense of those players that are not giving it their all.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: No Pressure

How do they measure this pressure rating thing? Personally I reckon it's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard of. Our pressure was good on Friday night. Was poor against the Dogs the previous game. We're just not strong enough to hold the tackles. We're laying the tackles but the opposition is able to get an effective possession away which means it's (rightfully) not counted as a tackle.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's a lot to do with letting the opposition chip the ball around and take huge numbers of uncontested marks

spert
Saintsational Legend

I have noticed the lack of pressure on the opposition ball carriers has been a bit ordinary in many matches -very bad against the Dogs, and not good against the Cats and Bombers. We can set up ok when we have the ball, but the poor defensive work of the mids and forwards is making it a lost cause at the moment

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Weren’t we good in this space last season?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Not surprising, it's been very apparent the last 3 weeks our tackling has been woeful. The opposition have no respect for us, they basically just try run passed/through our players as if they're not there, and if they do manage to get snagged, they just free their arms and dispose of the ball quite easily.

I think we're -50 in tackles the last 2 games.

This is why the bullsh*t excuses about injuries doesn't fly for me, applying pressure doesn't take much skill, it only takes a willingness to run and push and make yourself uncomfortable. So many of our blokes are happy to put in half efforts, jog around and throw out an arm to tackle.

Its a reflection on the whole list and coaches that standards are no where near as high as they should be.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

No amount of “systems” and “training standards” can substitute good ole talent combined with strong match hardened and conditioned experienced AFL grade players.

There just is no magic that can deliver these qualities to a list.

It should hopefully get a little bit better in that regard though with some players coming off the injury list over the next 6 to 8 weeks but really the rest of this season is only about more exploration.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

A lot of the problem is in the forward line. That’s a problem area in general. I say put Boris in charge of it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
BadRossco
Club Player

Can’t tackle if they are too slow too catch a cold

spert
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 12:44pm A lot of the problem is in the forward line. That’s a problem area in general. I say put Boris in charge of it.
Put Boris in charge period- Bassat should have done it instead of dragging an ex-coach out of retirement.

older saint
SS Life Member

silverhalo wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 11:29pm According to this article on the AFL website, our pressure over the last 2 weeks is the 8th worst recorded since this started being measured in 2010

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1119457/the ... nd-emerges

I can accept losing when the players leave it all on the ground but this is clearly not happening. If there are players performing well for Sandy, then they need to be brought in at the expense of those players that are not giving it their all.
Last week we were too top heavy so when you do that something like pressure suffers. Howard, Wilkie, Battle, Cordy, Cama, Membrey, Sharman, Marshall, is a very tall side. Will be interesting to see what changes this week.

silverhalo
Club Player

Good point

Trixilver
Club Player

All our tackles are too weak. 95% of the time the player just gets hands away, or breaks the tackle.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 12:46am All our tackles are too weak. 95% of the time the player just gets hands away, or breaks the tackle.
Would be nice if our players pinned an arm and dragged a player to the ground wouldn't it...oh wait 🤔

The umpires let the opposition do pirouettes and then it's play on 2 seconds into a tackle. It's bulls***

They need to pay holding the ball as soon as a player shrugs or attempts to fend off and they get caught.