Comparing our Outs to other teams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Comparing our Outs to other teams

Round by round comparison of players missing through injury or suspension

Round 1

St Kilda: Sinclair Webster Clark Butler Howard Dow Hayes Caminiti (8)
Geelong: C.Guthrie Rowan (2)

Round 2

St Kilda: Clark Webster Crouch Butler Howard Dow Hayes (7)
Collingwood: Hoskin-Elliott McStay (2)

Round 3

St Kilda: Wood Henry King Crouch Webster Clark Howard Dow Hayes (9)
Essendon: Wright Ridley Setterfield Shiel (4)

Round 4

St Kilda: Wood Henry Clark Webster Windhager Crouch Howard Dow (8)
Richmond: Balta Lynch Baker Gibcus Hopper Prestia (6)

Round 5

St Kilda: Wood Henry Clark Webster Crouch Howard Dow (7)
GWS: Ward Cumming (2)

Round 6

St Kilda: King Wood Henry Clark Webster Crouch Howard Dow (8)
Bulldogs: Ugle-Hagan Liberatore Richards Smith Daniel Keath (6)

Round 7

St Kilda King Wood Henry Clark Webster Butler Crouch Dow (8)
Port: Soldo Finlayson Mckenzie Lord (4)

Overall total players unavailable in first 7 rounds through suspension or injury

St Kilda: 56
Opposition: 26

Average number of players missing per game

St Kilda: 8
Opposition 3.7

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Comparing our Outs to other teams

Good post and probably just confirms what we know, we've had another wretched start to the year on the injury list.

It would be time consuming but interesting to also see number of games missing too (particularly average divided by number of players missing) - would tell you the amount of experience missing as well as just sheer numbers

SteeleSaints
Club Player

With our lack of list depth we above most other clubs cant afford the injuries we have been carrying, its basically killed our season.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 3:38pm With our lack of list depth we above most other clubs cant afford the injuries we have been carrying, its basically killed our season.
You realise that no club has adequate cover for 8 players being out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sanctorum
Club Player

That's a very interesting analysis cwrcyn, well done!

With a 2-5 record after 7 games St Kilda have certainly not followed up on their good form last year when they also started the season with a long injury list.

The big difference this year is that unlike in 2023 in most games St Kilda have not played particularly good football which cost them dearly in a number of games, most recently last Friday against Port when they failed to take the initiative with an aggressive and attacking brand of footy while Port had lost some of their best players during the game due to injury. That game was up for grabs and they failed to take it....

One of the changes I've noticed in 2024 is that Lyon is not paying tribute to his 3 assistant coaches for devising a winning game plan like he did last year, which begs the question: is he taking greater control in his 2nd year back at the helm?

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 5:16pm That's a very interesting analysis cwrcyn, well done!

With a 2-5 record after 7 games St Kilda have certainly not followed up on their good form last year when they also started the season with a long injury list.

The big difference this year is that unlike in 2023 in most games St Kilda have not played particularly good football which cost them dearly in a number of games, most recently last Friday against Port when they failed to take the initiative with an aggressive and attacking brand of footy while Port had lost some of their best players during the game due to injury. That game was up for grabs and they failed to take it....

One of the changes I've noticed in 2024 is that Lyon is not paying tribute to his 3 assistant coaches for devising a winning game plan like he did last year, which begs the question: is he taking greater control in his 2nd year back at the helm?
Interesting

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 10:28am Round 6

St Kilda: King Wood Henry Clark Webster Crouch Howard Dow (8)
Bulldogs: Ugle-Hagan Liberatore Richards Smith Daniel Keath (6)
Both Daniel and Keith were availabe...They were just not selected. Big difference. And Richards played.
So, it's 8 v 3.

Killa
Club Player

I don't know where the idea comes from that Lyon is not showing his respect for his Assistant Coaches and their input because I am of the opposite opinion.

The Sandringham side yesterday included Hayes, Collard, Jones, Allison, Shoenmakers, Campbell, Dow, Hastie, Keeler, McLennan, O'Connell and Paton (so 12, one a Supplementary player), of whom Hayes, Allison, Dow, Keeler and Paton are appearing after lengthy injuries.

Jones also has been out with injury.

In terms of "not taking the game on" I view this as a beat up by whoever presents such opinion.

As Lyon said the Coaches threw the magnets around looking for drive, referencing Battle to the mid-field, Bonner to a wing, Battle and Caminiti rucking with Marshall forward and other moves.

The result of "taking the game on" is obviously scoring.

Higgins and Owens kicked 2 each.

But Membrey, Caminiti, Sharman and Cordy ALL had less than 10 possessions on the night.

You could present that they are all marking forwards

Which is why Marshall was thrown forward.

We just did not have forward targets - before you look elsewhere.

To me it was not a matter of "not taking it on" it was a matter of no forward targets.

And, absent Butler, Higgins was our only "small forward" who hit the scoreboard.

So the "over the back" goals of Higgins AND Butler from early 2023 were absent.

My view anyway.

It will be interesting to see who we put on the park this week.

Campbell rucking and Marshall forward?

Even with King back?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We have had a bad injury run since 2021. That’s 4 straight years of horrible injuries.

The season is quickly slipping away.

Notwithstanding out horrid luck, I would like to see another comparison:

“Comparing our skills to other teams”.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Isn't that what the ladder does, in a crude sense ? noting draw is weird, umpires can impact results and injuries matter.
On a weighted seasonal adjusted basis, discounting outliers we are probably 8th with a bullet, maybe a slug, or pellet. Anyway respectable.
Now with an ounce of luck and a pinch of rub of the green, lady luck smiling and a 4 leaf clover we could make the 8 by August, if the horse hasn't already bolted.

saintkev
Club Player

Howard came in and was a liability.

ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 4:25pm
SteeleSaints wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 3:38pm With our lack of list depth we above most other clubs cant afford the injuries we have been carrying, its basically killed our season.
You realise that no club has adequate cover for 8 players being out.
What the list of injuries does not show is that the average number of players unavailable has average 12.
What you have to play 23 players you are down to player 35 with only 9 not getting a game.
The club only lists 44 players including rookies and then has players who will take time to develop.
The emergencies are often players who you don't want in the team as they out of form or returning unfit from injury.
At the moment St Kilda is scaping the bottom of the barrel.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

As well as these significant outs, a proper analysis of our season so far would note the punishing, not to say bizarre, draw we've endured.

I'm not even talking about the interstate travel and the five-day breaks. I'm talking the total absence of any home-ground advantage. After "hosting" Collingwood at the MCG in Round Two, our other "home" games are all against fellow Marvel tennants until Round 10 v Fremantle.

The second half of the season, with a lot less travel, a lot more home-ground advantage, the return of key players (inlcuding our prize on-ball recruits Henry and Dow), should be very different. Or at least it has the capacity to be so.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

100% agree waltzing

#1 Ryder fan
Saints58
Club Player

I would play King at CHF where he has room to manoeuvrer he is quick enough and would not always have 2 big monsters on him have Either Marshall or Hayes at FF with caminiti HFF with Membery and Owens with a small around them.

I hear you saying its to slow to big but isn't that what we need we often get out marked and muscled out in the forward line and with our mids just bobbing it in we have more chance of marking or knocking to the ground for the on ballers.

Also Sharman should go as he has done nothing over the last few weeks I really like Cordy with Dougal Cordy rarely makes a really bad skill error that cost goal unlike battle who is at times terrible and often cost us goals.