Phillipou Close to Signing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou Close to Signing

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 11:00pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:55pm This place depresses me
It's pathetic isn't it.
Yet here we all are.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 9:46am What I am attempting to call out is the nonsense some (continually) contribute to this site

If you are of the opinion the Irish recruit is just having an end to end kick, otherwise in the bar and that the Collingwood Coach would be more benificial to his education, then go follow Collingwood or whoever the current Collingwood Coach coaches next

The subject matter may be Phillipou resigning with St Kilda

But look at what is contributed in regard that subject

Phillipou played at Under 18 level in the SANFL ahead of his AFL debut - and for the Club both his Grandfather and Father represented with distinction

Phillipou did not play at SANFL level - or even Seconds

By comparison, James Aish had played in 2 SANFL Senior premiership sides ahead of being Drafted, the first as a 16 year old

And James has taken time to establish at AFL level, now at his third Club with how many games under his belt

No doubt, at the Club including on the training track Phillipou is showing attributes, hence being deployed to midfield responsibilities on match days

And, in the first instance, being selected at AFL level

That is the assessment of the Coaching and selection panels

Regardless of what we are subjected to by some on this site
You make sense - but ...... this is what people look like if they were alive for their clubs last Premiership

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 12:33am It's also about developing your talent.

We've got an Irishman on our list who was arguably the best young Gaelic footballer in his country. We know he's talented and competitive. We know he's an athlete.

What resources are we utilising to get this guy ready and to teach him AFL skills?

Do we have a 'Craig Mcrea' type to teach him the way Craig taught and helped to develop Mason Cox?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hel ... xlctr.html

AND...if we do employ people as competent as Craig Mcrae. People that can teach aussie rules to a non-Aussie, then I'd also be confident that they are developing our young draftees competently.
Killa,

I haven't made any assumptions or conclusions on Liam O'Connell. I was just asking questions.

I was pointing out that McRae was the guy who had the job in 2014 as the development coach at Collingwood.

I should have included the fact that it took 2-3 years to get Mason Cox to the stage where he was ready to play AFL. I'm hoping Liam makes it in half that time.

We have some of the most talented and dedicated Saints people like BJ, Dal and Lenny. Lenny has the official role as development coach and I think Liam is in good hands.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 11:09am

We've got an Irishman on our list who was arguably the best young Gaelic footballer in his country. We know he's talented and competitive. We know he's an athlete.

What resources are we utilising to get this guy ready and to teach him AFL skills?

Do we have a 'Craig Mcrea' type to teach him the way Craig taught and helped to develop Mason Cox?

AND...if we do employ people as competent as Craig Mcrae. People that can teach aussie rules to a non-Aussie, then I'd also be confident that they are developing our young draftees competently.
Killa,

I haven't made any assumptions or conclusions on Liam O'Connell. I was just asking questions.

I was pointing out that McRae was the guy who had the job in 2014 as the development coach at Collingwood.

I should have included the fact that it took 2-3 years to get Mason Cox to the stage where he was ready to play AFL. I'm hoping Liam makes it in half that time.

We have some of the most talented and dedicated Saints people like BJ, Dal and Lenny. Lenny has the official role as development coach and I think Liam is in good hands.
So what was the point of your initial post if you are answering your own questions?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 11:29am

Killa,

So what was the point of your initial post if you are answering your own questions?
I was elaborating in case my first post was overly pessimistic. It wasn't meant to be.

I was hoping someone with insider knowledge might be able to comment on the original questions

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 12:09pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 11:29am

Killa,

I was elaborating in case my first post was overly pessimistic. It wasn't meant to be.

I was hoping someone with insider knowledge might be able to comment on the original questions
So, you elaborated after Killa's post. Good to hear you are happy with player development under Lenny and the others.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Killa wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 9:46am What I am attempting to call out is the nonsense some (continually) contribute to this site
There is a very simple solution Killa, you could post less frequently :lol:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
loris
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 1:46pm
There is a very simple solution Killa, you could post less frequently :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I still say that IMHO it would be far better for both club and the Pou if he went home.

I would prefer him to go so we could snag one young talented mid.
We don't need Pou's 9 touches a game; we need a nice mid getting 20+

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Killa
Club Player

Come in DB Cooper, Loris and Willard Saint because you are all exactly who I am referring to

And I back in the knowledge of the likes of Lyon, Enright, Harvey, Hayes and Goddard over the nonsense you all contribute here

They have all at the very least actually played the game at the level

The people I name are alongside the players on our List 24/7 AND they select the side we are putting on the park (acknowledging injuries and the impact on the side of those injuries)

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 6:43pm I still say that IMHO it would be far better for both club and the Pou if he went home.

Post reminds me of those that want to get rid of King but think we will get three first rounders for him!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 8:54pm Come in DB Cooper, Loris and Willard Saint because you are all exactly who I am referring to

And I back in the knowledge of the likes of Lyon, Enright, Harvey, Hayes and Goddard over the nonsense you all contribute here

They have all at the very least actually played the game at the level

The people I name are alongside the players on our List 24/7 AND they select the side we are putting on the park (acknowledging injuries and the impact on the side of those injuries)
This is a Fan Forum.
We are here to discuss the club, its admin, coaches, players.
One rule is not to be abusive and personal.
Where was I being personal?
Can you show me.

Do you know what IMHO stands for?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 9:07pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 6:43pm I still say that IMHO it would be far better for both club and the Pou if he went home.

Post reminds me of those that want to get rid of King but think we will get three first rounders for him!
If*

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

f*** and what if the next kid that we snag gets 8 possessions for the next year and a half and Pou goes to 20+. It will be a never ending roller coaster!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2024 1:34pm

f*** and what if the next kid that we snag gets 8 possessions for the next year and a half and Pou goes to 20+. It will be a never ending roller coaster!
Maybe check his stats on AFL app.
His numbers haven't changed at all from last year.
We'd expect with a decent pre-season under his belt, he'd improve.
No. No change.
At least one poster in here says Pou is sad, frustrated, downcast.
Is he feeling homesick. A 19 y.o. away from family and the girlfriend who was at his side at his draft interview.
A teenager can't do long-distance! It's not like an Army wife who can tolerate a 6 mth deployment of hubby.

If he wants out, let him.
Homesick, sad, he can't contribute.
Realistically, he'll get to 100 games with a poor average of 10 touches and zero breakout games.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2024 1:59pm
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2024 1:34pm

Maybe check his stats on AFL app.
His numbers haven't changed at all from last year.
We'd expect with a decent pre-season under his belt, he'd improve.
No. No change.
At least one poster in here says Pou is sad, frustrated, downcast.
Is he feeling homesick. A 19 y.o. away from family and the girlfriend who was at his side at his draft interview.
A teenager can't do long-distance! It's not like an Army wife who can tolerate a 6 mth deployment of hubby.

If he wants out, let him.
Homesick, sad, he can't contribute.
Realistically, he'll get to 100 games with a poor average of 10 touches and zero breakout games.
How do you know he wants out?
Are you going on what some anonymous poster is writing?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

If we can get 2 first round picks from either of the SA teams for Pou then take them and run.

I’ve been a supporter of Pou until now, but I am struggling to see what exactly is his point of difference that is going to make him a superstar.
We can see it with Wilson (pace and endurance) , Garcia (speed and manic pressure) , Owens (strength and power). Hastie reads the play well, Ari has a weapon , and collard has some tricks.
I thought Pou was going to be strong overhead but that’s deserted him. He panic handballs whenever he gets the ball . No speed. Has definitely gone backward.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I bet Bont is worried. :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When are we going to learn? It's not in Pou's interest or in our interest to play him week in week out.

It's not helping the team, but most importantly he's developing bad habits and losing confidence

There has to come a time that we wake up and stop making the same mistakes with talented youngsters...just because he's a high draft pick

Typical St Kilda. FFS. We did this all of last year with him. Please don't do it again

As soon as Wood, Clark, Henry and Dow are available, we need to give Pou a couple of games at Sandringham

We can't treat him like a senior player and expect him to perform at a high level each game. He will get better but we need to hold him back.

He's still a teenager so he needs his body and mind to be managed.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Pou pick 10 in 2022 draft.
IMHO Wilson has gone way past Pou despite Wilson pick 18 in 2023 draft and a handful of games.
Garcia pick 50 in 2023 and a couple of games is as valuable as Pou and has overtaken Hastie pick 33 in 2023.
But Pou will should continue to get games until the teams injury list dwindles.

But what of Matt Allison pick 26 in 2020 and Max Heath pick 7 mid season rookie draft 2021.
When will they be ready to play.
Or are they already earmarked for delisting at seasons end.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Trixilver
Club Player

I think he should have signed a year ago

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Zed wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:54am If we can get 2 first round picks from either of the SA teams for Pou then take them and run.

I’ve been a supporter of Pou until now, but I am struggling to see what exactly is his point of difference that is going to make him a superstar.
We can see it with Wilson (pace and endurance) , Garcia (speed and manic pressure) , Owens (strength and power). Hastie reads the play well, Ari has a weapon , and collard has some tricks.
I thought Pou was going to be strong overhead but that’s deserted him. He panic handballs whenever he gets the ball . No speed. Has definitely gone backward.
His marking is abysmal. The one where Rozee did his hammy, look at that contest.

My god, arms flapping about, didn’t get anytwhere near it!!! He’s either scared, or can’t see the ball. Impossible to miss it by that far. Not for the first time either…

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully years onwards show that5 Pou is not Poo. Who'd want to be a list manager.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not seeing it with him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:18am Pou pick 10 in 2022 draft.
IMHO Wilson has gone way past Pou despite Wilson pick 18 in 2023 draft and a handful of games.
Garcia pick 50 in 2023 and a couple of games is as valuable as Pou and has overtaken Hastie pick 33 in 2023.
It's not a fkn race

You're not rated according to your draft pick

They'll develop at a different pace and they're not all going to develop exactly the same way

We need to play the long game with our talent. Give them some exposure to seniors but let them play in the same team and learn about connection.

The best way for them to do that ( 8 or 10 youngsters in the same team) is with our VFL side

Unfortunately we haven't been able to do that with all our injuries