Phillipou Close to Signing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Phillipou Close to Signing

Sorry.

Just want to check.

Are we looking at West Coast as an example to aspire to?

I understand that view 5 years ago but these days....

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 12:02am Sorry.

Just want to check.

We could only dream of being a fraction of the richest club in the competition, and by a fair margin and as such an incredibly well resourced and managed organisation.

Yes they are currently in a full rebuild which affords you this small window of opportunity to mock and ridicule their current ladder postion but most pundits and astute observers would back them to win another flag before us so make the most of your opportunity while it lasts.

Their midfield rebuild is also incredibly well ahead of ours on the account they have just recruited a generational player that in just 5 games into his career, and has already proved his supporters won't need to give him the excuse he is only 18.

This is also the club that has proven if they build a team around a generational midfielder they will win a flag so a very big chance they won't stuff up their rebuild...multiple times.

Is that the type of aspiration you were referring to?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 3:49am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 12:02am Sorry.

Just want to check.

We could only dream of being a fraction of the richest club in the competition, and by a fair margin and as such an incredibly well resourced and managed organisation.

Yes they are currently in a full rebuild which affords you this small window of opportunity to mock and ridicule their current ladder postion but most pundits and astute observers would back them to win another flag before us so make the most of your opportunity while it lasts.

Their midfield rebuild is also incredibly well ahead of ours on the account they have just recruited a generational player that in just 5 games into his career, and has already proved his supporters won't need to give him the excuse he is only 18.

This is also the club that has proven if they build a team around a generational midfielder they will win a flag so a very big chance they won't stuff up their rebuild...multiple times.

Is that the type of aspiration you were referring to?

Jury is still out on West Coast and like many posters here people are overreacting to a couple weeks of football.

The historic wealth and success of their club isn't worth talking about as they have a completely different environment to work within- we simply couldn't copy them successfully even if we wanted to.

Regarding their rebuild. Sure they've done well after genuinely bottoming out. If we had done the same some of the Muppets on here would want to burn the place down- it's a dangerous thing to rebuild like that.

I'll reserve judgement but give me our current state of affairs and the last 2 years over theirs. Any. Day.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This time last year there were people getting excited about Hawthorn.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 8:46am This time last year there were people getting excited about Hawthorn.
2 months ago many Saints supporters thought were destined to play finals this year, some even believed top 4, and that all of our kids were destined to be A grade or Elite talent.

Still could happens but statistics might have a say.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Still could happen but eventuality might have a say ?

So things could happen if stats make it happen?

So if the stats are good we are good 👍

I think I’m starting to understand
Last edited by The Fireman on Wed 24 Apr 2024 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 1:09pm
Otiman wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 8:46am This time last year there were people getting excited about Hawthorn.
2 months ago many Saints supporters thought were destined to play finals this year, some even believed top 4, and that all of our kids were destined to be A grade or Elite talent.

I'm confused as to your contention.

West Coast is better than us based on 2 weeks of form but we could still make the top 4?

The reality is change takes time and the culture/profile of a club is built over years and arguably decades.

Overreacting to a few weeks of poor form is more dangerous than anything imo. Thankfully the club knows it is on a long term journey.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I was in that crew thinking we were bordering on top 4 material. Openly critiquing the media pundits who said we'd slip big.

Currently enjoying the taste of humble pie.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I’m still eating beluga caviar and until someone knocks over the dom perignon I will continue to have faith in this group.

You guys can eat the stale potato chips in the meantime 😉

Killa
Club Player

West Coast is a side which has been decimated by injuries - including that some senior players from their most recent premiership have now been forced to retirement

But they still have the remnants of that premiership side including a couple of key defenders

They are also the beneficiaries of the “go home” factor which netted them Kelly from Geelong (and costing them significantly to the ultimate benefit of Geelong)

Swings and roundabouts

I repeat that St Kilda require support for each of Marshall, King and Howard (all 199cm and taller)

That Wilkie is 191cm and Battle is 193cm, neither commanding space as does May at over 100kgs is a problem

That Caminiti at 196cm is energetic is a problem

Then you get to a goal kicking mid - so a mid who wins games

Geelong obtained Dangerfield from Adelaide as an example

And they recruited Smith from Hawthorn - at a mature age

By comparison St Kilda have bought in Hill, Crouch and Henry, Crouch and Henry currently injured

Then we have King, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens and Windhager and now Wilson and Garcia as our youth we have high hopes for

So how do we now get a Cameron or Lynch (Geelong and Richmond), a May or a Lever (both Melbourne) or a Dangerfield or a Kelly?

Just as examples of where the competition is

We went after the Collingwood player

So we are in the market

But who?

And to attract we need stability - as in Lyon’s comments today on St Kilda rebounding
Last edited by Killa on Wed 24 Apr 2024 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 2:04pm

I'm confused as to your contention.

West Coast is better than us based on 2 weeks of form but we could still make the top 4?

The reality is change takes time and the culture/profile of a club is built over years and arguably decades.

Overreacting to a few weeks of poor form is more dangerous than anything imo. Thankfully the club knows it is on a long term journey.
It was a subtle point, us Saints supporters should be cautious when mocking and ridiculing other clubs, especially with regards to their flag-to-establishment ratio and list build performance...the rest is a strawman filler.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Let Pou walk to SA.
His second year shows zero improvement.
If Crows or Power offers up a decent mid or a nice draft pick, take it.

The Pou won't get better under our guidance.

We CAN'T DEVELOP PLAYERS.

Give him a chance to improve at a better culture.
We'll get a decent mid.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 5:53pm

I was in that crew thinking we were bordering on top 4 material. Openly critiquing the media pundits who said we'd slip big.

Currently enjoying the taste of humble pie.
It was an easy dream to be swept up with...reality is a biatch.

So now you have the benefit of experience and hindsight, do yourself a favour, if the unthinkable happens and we win the miracle on Ice over at Adelaide Oval, just take a step back and take a deep breath, and tell yourself, we still ain't a top 4 side and just enjoy the aberration...aka the win.

Killa
Club Player

And I repeat, the words of Lyon today are significant and they deliver confidence that the Club is on the correct trajectory in a competition which is fierce and which will become even more fierce post Tasmania

Lyon is backing in the Club, from the President to the supporters

And taking responsibility by referencing the input of the Coaches

The result this weekend?

We will see but, at the very least, we look for endeavour and commitment

And we know that class resources are on the cusp of resuming

This will spread our capability

When you look at those Listed players who appeared for Sandringham in their most recent VFL match you can see how decimated we are

The scratch match saw Howard, Wood, Clark, Paton and Dow on the park (noting the jury is still out on Dow who we are yet to see at the level)

And Crouch and Henry closing in

Having lost Butler

Killa
Club Player

Can’t develop?

Marshall, Wilkie, Sinclair all off the Rookie List

Then the likes of Wood and Membrey and Steele and Higgins who all came to St Kilda seeking opportunity and who have performed to the level that they are automatic selections and perform to competition standards

The likes of Coffield and Clark have battled injury - which happens

When you look at the players on Norwood’s List in the SANFL you see a number of young players who have returned from AFL Clubs including Geelong and Collingwood not having appeared at AFL level

So recruiting “busts”

It happens - to all Clubs

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I know a so-called fellow Saint Kilda supporter who said that our next win will be an aberration

Yep really

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If a club can win only 1 flag since 1897, but can snag 27 wooden spoons in the same time frame, i would agree that they can't develop.

At the moment the Saints look a long way off a 2nd flag, fortunately we can neck a few sippers whilst we wait for success.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

This place depresses me

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:55pm This place depresses me
It's pathetic isn't it.

Killa
Club Player

As I understand St Kilda had a period in time where they recruited significant talent from Interstate starting with Baldock from Tasmania (who also represented Tasmania at cricket making a 50 against the WI touring side of 60/61)

Post that period in time the sides with significant backers which transposed to recruiting abilities saw the likes of Kernahan, Bradley, Motley, Plattan (from SA and just for starters) go to those Clubs supported by those backers

So the AFL was akin to the Premier League where the Clubs with money basically dominate, recruiting as they do

St Kilda, from what I am told, had a problem due to the Social Club/Football Club demographic the financial circumstances of the Club seeing it only survive courtesy of Fox and BOTH secured and unsecured creditors receiving a paltry few cents in the $1-

Meanwhile, elsewhere we had brown paper bags where Carlton eventually got found out under Elliott

St Kilda were selling their Form 4’s for money to survive, also receiving some also ran players

So St Kilda could not compete - as couldn’t others

The history is what it is

What we look to is the future

In a competition we are told is more equal with salary caps and drafting

Except it is not equal and never will be

There is still significant money behind certain Clubs

St Kilda rely on the AFL and is still carrying significant debt

If the complaint is St Kilda’s history why are you following them?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Well summed up killa

Killa
Club Player

There is a Club, now nearing a history of 150 years averaging a premiership every 5 years, which went from 1950 until 1975 between premierships

They went down the recruiting from interstate “fix” which saw 2 Grand Final defeats in successive years making 5 Grand Final losses over those 25 years

The “fix” was to recruit competition elite players, just a couple but competition elite then back in junior v development, which you could then do

This took 13 years of churning thru youth which added just a couple of competition elite players

Then the business plan started to fall into place - noting some of the youth was recruited as young as 13 years of age (and put into College education including as boarders)

The point is that there is no “quick fix”

You adhere to the template - and you persevere including churning

The fact that, if you get Draft Pick number 1 your next pick is 19 makes the perseverance a not negotiable requirement to eventually achieve

Then you need a season when your best side is consistently on the park and particularity during finals

If you think there is a “quick fix” tell me about it

It is about getting class and depth across your List including demographics

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's also about developing your talent.

We've got an Irishman on our list who was arguably the best young Gaelic footballer in his country. We know he's talented and competitive. We know he's an athlete.

What resources are we utilising to get this guy ready and to teach him AFL skills?

Do we have a 'Craig Mcrea' type to teach him the way Craig taught and helped to develop Mason Cox?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hel ... xlctr.html

AND...if we do employ people as competent as Craig Mcrae. People that can teach aussie rules to a non-Aussie, then I'd also be confident that they are developing our young draftees competently.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Killa, this thread is about Pou re-signing.
You've gone on a one-man Sermon on the Mount rant about our club and staying the course;
And veered off into a history lesson about the Hawks or Cats or who knows

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Killa
Club Player

What I am attempting to call out is the nonsense some (continually) contribute to this site

If you are of the opinion the Irish recruit is just having an end to end kick, otherwise in the bar and that the Collingwood Coach would be more benificial to his education, then go follow Collingwood or whoever the current Collingwood Coach coaches next

The subject matter may be Phillipou resigning with St Kilda

But look at what is contributed in regard that subject

Phillipou played at Under 18 level in the SANFL ahead of his AFL debut - and for the Club both his Grandfather and Father represented with distinction

Phillipou did not play at SANFL level - or even Seconds

By comparison, James Aish had played in 2 SANFL Senior premiership sides ahead of being Drafted, the first as a 16 year old

And James has taken time to establish at AFL level, now at his third Club with how many games under his belt

No doubt, at the Club including on the training track Phillipou is showing attributes, hence being deployed to midfield responsibilities on match days

And, in the first instance, being selected at AFL level

That is the assessment of the Coaching and selection panels

Regardless of what we are subjected to by some on this site