The Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Re: The Eagles

Some delusion on this thread. They have won 2 games and suddenly they’re not a complete rabble? They are still comfortably the worse list and team in the league. Many, many years off being competitive.

Also no guarantee Reid stays past 2027.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Also further to add the eagles (along with north) are the poster child for why building relentlessly through the draft is a losing strategy. No team has had more high end pick busts than them over the past 5 years. No team has won a flag off the back of gutting their list and bottoming out for 5 years.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:37pm
They are still comfortably the worse list and team in the league. Many, many years off being competitive.
Bookmarked

We play them at Optus Stadium in Round 12

Barrass, McGovern, Kelly/Yeo, Darling and Allen...not a bad spine :mrgreen:

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 2:17pm
They are still comfortably the worse list and team in the league. Many, many years off being competitive.
Bookmarked

That is your opinion. I think it’s good enough also. But the spine has never been the issue with them it’s the quality of the 15th-44th players on the list. Plus there list of players under age 21 is diabolically bad (with exception of Reid).

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone seriously feel comfortable playing them over there. We were lucky to beat them last year and we are playing much worse and they are playing much better.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Bookmarked

Oscar Allen’s been out injured for weeks(since March 21) Initially it was said he’d be out for 8 weeks. Even if he’s back in time for the Saints match he’d be very short on match fitness. Darling hasn’t played good footy for a season or two. Eagles shopped him around last season - no takers. As most Eagles supporters say, “Darling looks like Tarzan & plays like Jane”.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 3:41pm Does anyone seriously feel comfortable playing them over there. We were lucky to beat them last year and we are playing much worse and they are playing much better.
If we lose to them at any point over the next 2 years then my faith in Lyon (who I personally support wholeheartedly) and also list will wane significantly.

Again on paper their list and age profile of their “good” players is abhorrent. Games aren’t won on paper though I suppose.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Harley Reid will become a very marked man. That might slow them down, unless he is a reincarnated Carey.

loris
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 3:42pm
Bookmarked

Oscar Allen’s been out injured for weeks(since March 21) Initially it was said he’d be out for 8 weeks. Even if he’s back in time for the Saints match he’d be very short on match fitness. Darling hasn’t played good footy for a season or two. Eagles shopped him around last season - no takers. As most Eagles supporters say, “Darling looks like Tarzan & plays like Jane”.
Not long after typing ^ post, I walked down to the end of my street, to get a take-away lunch and lo & behold who did I come across but Oscar Allen in the same cafe. He was there with about 5 other Eagles. When I walked out behind him and the Eagles boys, they then walked to the primary school on the street I live on. Alas, there was no sign of Oscar Allen limping or favoring his injured knee - so maybe in round 12 he’ll be there to take on Rowan Marshall.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

King Max wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2024 1:57pm No. But I can’t see the point in comparing us with the Eagles or the Lions. We’re 2-4 and we were crap on Thursday with a huge injury list coming off a five day break.
Coming off 3 games in 12 days, one interstate game in there...insane.

GWS have one 5 day break in 15 rounds
The rest all Sat>Sat or Sat > Sun day breaks.

Cats have one 5 day break after a bye game ( 11 day break).

Recovery time is absolutely critical in full contact sports. No person can defeat the science of tissue repair, cortisol flush (released by stress), inflammation, etc etc. You CAN grit it out a bit, we've seen some incredible individual performances by athletes smashing it out despite these factors...but it cant be done en masse.

The sports with $$ & big fan bases, allow clubs massive income streams *including private owners* and increase first team players numbers to be effectively an entire 2nd team able to play alternatively.

The AFL, which we love, is limited & we have poor 2nd tier team/player development ( player academies...dont get me started).

So short recovery equals losses and potentially high injury tolls. We have escaped the injuries. We arent alone in getting shafted by shocking scheduling...
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Mon 22 Apr 2024 9:48pm, edited 3 times in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 9:30pm
King Max wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2024 1:57pm No. But I can’t see the point in comparing us with the Eagles or the Lions. We’re 2-4 and we were crap on Thursday with a huge injury list coming off a five day break.
Coming off 3 games in 12 days, one interstate game in there...insane.
Wasn’t it 2 interstate games one at Norwood SA the other in Canberra?

Plus having to go to ‘sleepy hollow’, oh the horror 😱 that’s harder than any interstate trip IMHO😉

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not including the home game we gave away, 1 Marvel home game in the first seven games of the season is just ridiculous.

Our season is going pear shaped very quickly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thought it was more classic saw tooth shape until the recent flight of the lemmings trend.