Lyon Post-Match R6 v Bulldogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Lyon Post-Match R6 v Bulldogs

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1110934/fu ... 3446493001
Journo:
First performance that wasn't, you know, you've been probably pretty consistent up until then. How do you explain it, Ross?

Ross:
Yeah, I can explain it a little bit. But yeah, so I'd like to think that's not us.
And our trend, if I look at with the group for 27 games, 23, 24, 30 games.

So I mean, we haven't had one performance like that, to be honest.
I think our worst might have been over in Adelaide or I think Gold Coast. And both of them we still sort of fought on.
So look, we're a little bit worried coming here. The demands of the game, and I don't want to use excuses, but I certainly come here, I was cautious and I flagged even in the pre-game interview that it's our second four-day prep.

So first thing is that the Bulldogs spoke about, I didn't understand the noise around them.
You get the Champion Data analysis, they're one of six teams to sit attack and defence above average, and played pretty good opponents.
So I think they had a flat second half against Essendon. So we knew that they were very capable, we knew how they played, they had a couple of good players out, obviously, Ugle-Hagan, Libertore that everyone respects, we lose King.
But coming here, I was like, well, they got backs to the wall, they're off a six-day break, but our cumulative load for us and our experience in our youth, the physiological demand is extreme, and that was the worry.

I thought in the contest we're OK, we win the ground ball and those things, but they really put us to the sword on the outside.
Their centre-square bounce work was very good, and English was very good.
We played probably the best-running team in the competition week before and we went right to the end.

I don't want to make excuses because I want to give credit to the Bulldogs, but certainly with my group, there was no angst after the game.
But we've got to prove it's an aberration and that there was a lot of mitigating circumstances that really challenged us.
So we'll look to respond, we'll lick our wounds tonight.

Really feel for our fans and our members because all they see is the performance and ultimately that's all we're judged on.
So I thought at least Higgins chased at the end.
But our ball use when we normally shift and lots of marks and that, they've had 150 marks to 60 marks.
So there's a lot of numbers that tell us they just beat us on the outside.

So that's my simple summary and that's basically what I said to the players.
Then the mind drifts as the scoreboard goes - there was a kick-in that was reviewed and we should have numbered off and they had four on the open side.
It just tells you the players were feeling the pinch mentally.
But in some ways we fought on a little bit at the end to, certainly didn't blow out to 100 points or anything.

We need to respond.
We play quality next week - Port.

So all I know is this group for myself and the coaches and each other have given a lot and played with good character.
If anyone can say that's typical of us, I'd defy them strongly and really fight to the last breath to say that's not true.

So is there going to be heat? And that's the business we're in, like the Bulldogs.
So I love what Bontapalli said:
"We just come here to re-establish our foundations and our game" and that's what we're going to have to do going forward.

Journo:
I know you're not making excuses but is it an unreasonable expectation to play three games in 11 days, two outside Victoria?

Ross:
Well, it's interesting. I suppose, I don't know, there's always commercial aspirations of your club and who represents you at that time.
And then there's the footy agenda.
So look, it's a demand to the game.

I think deep squads and we're a really honest team that's trying to improve capability like the Bulldogs are to chase the ones that have established themselves.

So is that what it is? It's three in 11 games.

Journo:
Three in 11 days.

Ross:
[laughing] But it's not an excuse.
I don't know, they might have had something similar.

We lost Butler with a hammy at the end but he's come off a limited pre-season.
So look, we'll find out.
We need to regenerate them and get going because we're not playing the way we want to.

Look, all year we've just been a little bit inconsistent but we've played quality to be fair.
Fair to have got the 3-2 to this game tonight arriving at.
I would have thought that's fair.
So we're probably one behind where maybe we could be or should be, so we've just got to keep fighting.

You know, hopefully get King back, Wood back, get Dow in.
Jimmy Webster comes free.
We've got a few that are coming.

So that's my biased opinion.
But I've got a lot of the information.

I never knew it was three games in 11 days.
But all credit, I thought the Bulldogs were fierce, they tackled, their big men looked threatening, they blocked for them really well.
They moved the ball and we couldn't find them, which is unusual for us.
So all credit to them.
They march on and we'll take some heat, but we're just going to improve our capability and our footing and re-establish what we stand
for.

Journo:
There was expectation that you would have better first quarters over the last couple
of weeks. Obviously that didn't happen tonight.
Were you expecting it to change in that first quarter or were you concerned coming in, as
you've said, only a couple of minutes ago?

Ross:
Yeah, I think I've just iterated what I felt the situation was.
We had a first look, or two looks, and just slaughtered it a bit.
So yeah, we've been a good starting team, we're not at the minute.
We've had a couple of pretty good against Essendon, pretty good somewhere else, we've got Pies.
I don't know.

We've got to get to work on a lot of aspects of our game.
We know the journey we're on.
We know what we're doing.
We know what we're building.
We've got a short-term and long-term narrative.
We're confident where we're heading and I'm confident the play group and the coaching group will respond because that's our job and we owe our Saints fans that.

I think they've walked away for 30 weeks thinking we've never given up.
Even tonight, did we turn our toes up? I'm not sure we did.

Journo:
Were you concerned, though, about a lack of response after half-time and you had a chance to reset but they got those five unanswered goals at the start of the third? Was that a concern?

Ross:
Yeah, look, I don't want to be cute but I'll just reiterate.
I've painted a big picture for you of what I think is going on.
With all that, there's no magic potion to find your legs and your energy.

Journo:
You tried a few things, Jack Sinclair in the middle, were you just trying a few things?

Ross:
Yeah, we tried a few things.
In the end, we just wanted to not lose him.
Look, the criticism, I can see what you saw but I'm trying to understand it.
They were up and going, I don't think we gave up. I thought our second quarter was really good until the end and they smacked us out of the middle on a couple.

One stage was 12 entries to eight and we slaughtered a couple.
So we're trying to get more polished, take more opportunities and they got hold of us in the middle.
We turned that around a little bit.

So yeah, look, I've got no silver bullet for you.
Now I saw what you saw but what I'm saying is, and you can argue differently, but for 30 weeks have you seen that from us?
That's a binary question.
Silence doesn't get it done.
I'm allowed to ask you one question.
I flip the script once and you don't talk.
Is it a Y or an N?
It's an N, isn't it?
Yeah, so but you know what, we'll be judged going forward.
I don't want to be flippant here.

This is a serious business and a serious loss but I'm certainly supporting the group and
I think the answer is an N but we need to respond and we need to improve our footy.

Journo:
Just on Dan Butler's hamstring, what are the early indications with that?

Ross:
Yeah, yeah. Yeah, so it's torn.
The early indications are it's torn.
They'll let it settle.
He'll go and get an MRI which will tell us what signals are there.
They'll grade it, depending on what it is. Typically an average hamstring is 21 days.
If it's got tendon involvement, it could be six to eight weeks.
If it's more serious than a 21 dayer it could be four to six.
So we'll know more and update the market tomorrow.

Thank you.

Journos:
Thanks Ross.
I'm a tech head (gadget type operator) and wanted to try out some automatic transcription software. Did my best to clean it up, apologies if it's not exactly what was said. Maybe I'll post this every week if people like it and it drives discussion.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon Post-Match R6 v Bulldogs

Thanks Shrodes

amusingname
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 11:21am https://www.afl.com.au/video/1110934/fu ... 3446493001
Journo:
First performance that wasn't, you know, you've been probably pretty consistent up until then. How do you explain it, Ross?

Ross:
Yeah, I can explain it a little bit. But yeah, so I'd like to think that's not us.
And our trend, if I look at with the group for 27 games, 23, 24, 30 games.

So I mean, we haven't had one performance like that, to be honest.
I think our worst might have been over in Adelaide or I think Gold Coast. And both of them we still sort of fought on.
So look, we're a little bit worried coming here. The demands of the game, and I don't want to use excuses, but I certainly come here, I was cautious and I flagged even in the pre-game interview that it's our second four-day prep.

So first thing is that the Bulldogs spoke about, I didn't understand the noise around them.
You get the Champion Data analysis, they're one of six teams to sit attack and defence above average, and played pretty good opponents.
So I think they had a flat second half against Essendon. So we knew that they were very capable, we knew how they played, they had a couple of good players out, obviously, Ugle-Hagan, Libertore that everyone respects, we lose King.
But coming here, I was like, well, they got backs to the wall, they're off a six-day break, but our cumulative load for us and our experience in our youth, the physiological demand is extreme, and that was the worry.

I thought in the contest we're OK, we win the ground ball and those things, but they really put us to the sword on the outside.
Their centre-square bounce work was very good, and English was very good.
We played probably the best-running team in the competition week before and we went right to the end.

I don't want to make excuses because I want to give credit to the Bulldogs, but certainly with my group, there was no angst after the game.
But we've got to prove it's an aberration and that there was a lot of mitigating circumstances that really challenged us.
So we'll look to respond, we'll lick our wounds tonight.

Really feel for our fans and our members because all they see is the performance and ultimately that's all we're judged on.
So I thought at least Higgins chased at the end.
But our ball use when we normally shift and lots of marks and that, they've had 150 marks to 60 marks.
So there's a lot of numbers that tell us they just beat us on the outside.

So that's my simple summary and that's basically what I said to the players.
Then the mind drifts as the scoreboard goes - there was a kick-in that was reviewed and we should have numbered off and they had four on the open side.
It just tells you the players were feeling the pinch mentally.
But in some ways we fought on a little bit at the end to, certainly didn't blow out to 100 points or anything.

We need to respond.
We play quality next week - Port.

So all I know is this group for myself and the coaches and each other have given a lot and played with good character.
If anyone can say that's typical of us, I'd defy them strongly and really fight to the last breath to say that's not true.

So is there going to be heat? And that's the business we're in, like the Bulldogs.
So I love what Bontapalli said:
"We just come here to re-establish our foundations and our game" and that's what we're going to have to do going forward.

Journo:
I know you're not making excuses but is it an unreasonable expectation to play three games in 11 days, two outside Victoria?

Ross:
Well, it's interesting. I suppose, I don't know, there's always commercial aspirations of your club and who represents you at that time.
And then there's the footy agenda.
So look, it's a demand to the game.

I think deep squads and we're a really honest team that's trying to improve capability like the Bulldogs are to chase the ones that have established themselves.

So is that what it is? It's three in 11 games.

Journo:
Three in 11 days.

Ross:
[laughing] But it's not an excuse.
I don't know, they might have had something similar.

We lost Butler with a hammy at the end but he's come off a limited pre-season.
So look, we'll find out.
We need to regenerate them and get going because we're not playing the way we want to.

Look, all year we've just been a little bit inconsistent but we've played quality to be fair.
Fair to have got the 3-2 to this game tonight arriving at.
I would have thought that's fair.
So we're probably one behind where maybe we could be or should be, so we've just got to keep fighting.

You know, hopefully get King back, Wood back, get Dow in.
Jimmy Webster comes free.
We've got a few that are coming.

So that's my biased opinion.
But I've got a lot of the information.

I never knew it was three games in 11 days.
But all credit, I thought the Bulldogs were fierce, they tackled, their big men looked threatening, they blocked for them really well.
They moved the ball and we couldn't find them, which is unusual for us.
So all credit to them.
They march on and we'll take some heat, but we're just going to improve our capability and our footing and re-establish what we stand
for.

Journo:
There was expectation that you would have better first quarters over the last couple
of weeks. Obviously that didn't happen tonight.
Were you expecting it to change in that first quarter or were you concerned coming in, as
you've said, only a couple of minutes ago?

Ross:
Yeah, I think I've just iterated what I felt the situation was.
We had a first look, or two looks, and just slaughtered it a bit.
So yeah, we've been a good starting team, we're not at the minute.
We've had a couple of pretty good against Essendon, pretty good somewhere else, we've got Pies.
I don't know.

We've got to get to work on a lot of aspects of our game.
We know the journey we're on.
We know what we're doing.
We know what we're building.
We've got a short-term and long-term narrative.
We're confident where we're heading and I'm confident the play group and the coaching group will respond because that's our job and we owe our Saints fans that.

I think they've walked away for 30 weeks thinking we've never given up.
Even tonight, did we turn our toes up? I'm not sure we did.

Journo:
Were you concerned, though, about a lack of response after half-time and you had a chance to reset but they got those five unanswered goals at the start of the third? Was that a concern?

Ross:
Yeah, look, I don't want to be cute but I'll just reiterate.
I've painted a big picture for you of what I think is going on.
With all that, there's no magic potion to find your legs and your energy.

Journo:
You tried a few things, Jack Sinclair in the middle, were you just trying a few things?

Ross:
Yeah, we tried a few things.
In the end, we just wanted to not lose him.
Look, the criticism, I can see what you saw but I'm trying to understand it.
They were up and going, I don't think we gave up. I thought our second quarter was really good until the end and they smacked us out of the middle on a couple.

One stage was 12 entries to eight and we slaughtered a couple.
So we're trying to get more polished, take more opportunities and they got hold of us in the middle.
We turned that around a little bit.

So yeah, look, I've got no silver bullet for you.
Now I saw what you saw but what I'm saying is, and you can argue differently, but for 30 weeks have you seen that from us?
That's a binary question.
Silence doesn't get it done.
I'm allowed to ask you one question.
I flip the script once and you don't talk.
Is it a Y or an N?
It's an N, isn't it?
Yeah, so but you know what, we'll be judged going forward.
I don't want to be flippant here.

This is a serious business and a serious loss but I'm certainly supporting the group and
I think the answer is an N but we need to respond and we need to improve our footy.

Journo:
Just on Dan Butler's hamstring, what are the early indications with that?

Ross:
Yeah, yeah. Yeah, so it's torn.
The early indications are it's torn.
They'll let it settle.
He'll go and get an MRI which will tell us what signals are there.
They'll grade it, depending on what it is. Typically an average hamstring is 21 days.
If it's got tendon involvement, it could be six to eight weeks.
If it's more serious than a 21 dayer it could be four to six.
So we'll know more and update the market tomorrow.

Thank you.

Journos:
Thanks Ross.
I'm a tech head (gadget type operator) and wanted to try out some automatic transcription software. Did my best to clean it up, apologies if it's not exactly what was said. Maybe I'll post this every week if people like it and it drives discussion.
Not sure on the Journos maths, but counting on my hands I came up with 12 days between the Richmond game and the bulldogs game, not 11. I suppose it is 11 nights, but I think it’s 3 games in 12 days
Last edited by amusingname on Fri 19 Apr 2024 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks that's great. Interested to see what the output was before cleaning up.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Glad Ross is happy to have a laugh after sitting thru that game! 🤦‍♂️

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i like it BIGTIME

i've given up tryn to watch the pressers 'n the replays

data curtain frustrates the effen good out of me !!

off to the big smoke shortly
so i'll watch a couple of games

see if i can recognise a couple of the new faces

ta Shrodes

(it's a huge bonus in my world)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

was going to Bris...not now

asiu
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 1:29pm was going to Bris...not now
👍

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.