Phillipou Close to Signing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Re: Phillipou Close to Signing

Better get the white out handy.
Take a zero off the contract

silverhalo
Club Player

I wouldn't be breaking the budget if we do decide to sign him on - hasn't lived up to the early hype by a long shot, disappointing.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 3:22pm I wouldn't be breaking the budget if we do decide to sign him on - hasn't lived up to the early hype by a long shot, disappointing.
This is why - even if we drafted them - Trac and Bont WOULD NOT be at the Saints anymore

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Heard he might go back to Adelaide- disappointing if he does

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

🤔

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 5:47pm Heard he might go back to Adelaide- disappointing if he does
Hopefully if he does they overcommit with early draft picks. We couldn't have treated him any better tbh. Never seen such a golden run given to a young player with so little given back.

jays
Club Player

If he goes back that is a big f*** you too Ross as he has played him every game and couldn’t have been better to him

repta
Club Player

Usually player play outside their skins before resigning.
Boost their value.......

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

jays wrote: Sat 20 Apr 2024 6:30am If he goes back that is a big f*** you too Ross as he has played him every game and couldn’t have been better to him
If he reads this forum (not directed at you) then it isn't going to encourage him to stay.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I certainly hope he re-signs but he has been gifted games for the past 12 months. Outside of the occasional good overhead grab and some slick hands in congestion he isn't offering much. Was so impressive at the beginning of last year but now he's looking like a big Jack Billings with lower production

Moods
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 20 Apr 2024 9:34am
jays wrote: Sat 20 Apr 2024 6:30am If he goes back that is a big f*** you too Ross as he has played him every game and couldn’t have been better to him
If he reads this forum (not directed at you) then it isn't going to encourage him to stay.
What a load of crap. If he reads this forum then it’s purely to see if anyone is pissing in his pocket. I have absolutely no doubt that he’s been told to ignore social media forums such as this and if he doesn’t he’s a fool

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

OMG - even if he does read this - he more likely to think we are a bunch of numpties who opinion he would scrape off his shoe if he stepped in it - we mean NOTHING to players - gone are the days when they would actually take any interest in their fans - we are supporters / fans - we do not mean anything - even the money we contribute is a pittance to what the AFL and sponsorship contribute.

If a player was upset by social media - especially in this Social Media Savvy generation we have softer players than we imagine.

At the end of the day - do you reckon that any of our past Players of the Year even remember that we voted for them

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Reminds me of Goddard who was also a slow start.

Playing him consistently across the forward zone HFF or FP and get some confidence up in him

#1 Ryder fan
Sanctorum
Club Player

Phillipou is obviuosly a highly rated and valued project player and that suggests the club regard him as a future marquee with elite skills, potential captain even!

From the outside looking in we supporters are not privy to how the coaches assess individual players and as I see it if they believe Phillipou should play every game to build his skills in senior football then that's fine by me.

I feel quietly confident that the kid will sign a new long term contract to stay at Moorabbin in preference to going back to South Aussie.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 20 Apr 2024 11:00am
OMG - even if he does read this - he more likely to think we are a bunch of numpties who opinion he would scrape off his shoe if he stepped in it - we mean NOTHING to players - gone are the days when they would actually take any interest in their fans - we are supporters / fans - we do not mean anything - even the money we contribute is a pittance to what the AFL and sponsorship contribute.

If a player was upset by social media - especially in this Social Media Savvy generation we have softer players than we imagine.

At the end of the day - do you reckon that any of our past Players of the Year even remember that we voted for them
I did say IF.

With all the conversations which have been had about athletes and celebrities mental health and the impact of social media/forums like this has on it.... this is an incredibly naive comment.

It's obviously not a major factor in a decision like this but players very much know what the fans think of them and if they don't feel wanted and supported I maintain it wouldn't encourage them to stay. Will it encourage them to leave, probably not but it absolutely won't encourage them to stay.

Sources

https://www.aflplayers.com.au/news-feed ... health-qas

https://www.psychreg.org/social-media-athletes/

https://www.afl.com.au/mental-health-wellbeing/strategy

https://www.mckinsey.com/mhi/our-insigh ... cial-media

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think anyone writes a post on here expecting or even thinking that a player or their family could read it.

It's the equivalent of having a chat over a beer at the pub. The reason that most of us live outside of Melbourne is that we don't get it in our day to day.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2024 5:34pm I don't think anyone writes a post on here expecting or even thinking that a player or their family could read it.

It's the equivalent of having a chat over a beer at the pub. The reason that most of us live outside of Melbourne is that we don't get it in our day to day.
Even as pub chat. It is poor.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He signs, he doesn't sign. Life goes on.
Port have class mids to burn but he would make a handy half forward. Not big $s.
Adelaide have assembled quite a good mid field and have real class half forwards. Not big $s there either. If he goes we get compo & write off considerable development costs. If he stays he gets pretty much what he wants a butler and tugged forelocks. He would be nuts to go, but I don't know the chap. Looks promising though, be nice to have his break out game next Friday but. All development and no delivery makes Mat a dull boy.

saintbob
SS Life Member

He needs to go back and dominate at VFL level to get his confidence back and start kicking the footy again rather than trying to handball all the time.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2024 8:55pm He needs to go back and dominate at VFL level to get his confidence back and start kicking the footy again rather than trying to handball all the time.
Assuming his instructions are to kick!

We don't know what is being 'taught'.

― Aristophanes

groupie1
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 11:48am makes sense, RTB is persisting in certain roles for players to get that part of the game their forte, rather than try and then dump them .. he's been around long enough i reckon to see something in players that is worth nurturing .
I see him as a midfielder in the Bont mold, but better overhead.
Owens is our De Goey... also better overhead.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Better overhead than the Bont??

All I ever see is Phillipou drop marks

Struggles to read the flight of the ball and runs too far underneath it .... constantly

Currently he only gets a bare pass mark because of his age

He is no Harley Reid that's for sure

He needs to sign a contract and stop being full of himself

Dropping him would be good test of his character ... see if he sooks or gets down and dirty

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 5:06am
Dropping him would be good test of his character ... see if he sooks or gets down and dirty
This approach would certainly put our Messiah Complex to the test.

I'm still cringing over the comments he made about himself in that pre season puff piece on himself.

At this stage of his career he's getting his ambitions and capabilities mixed up. A bit of a Billings bruise free prototype at the moment but a long way to go yet before we have to pay him to play for another club.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

How do you guys know the things you do?

He is getting his ambition and abilities mixed up?

Based on what? A comment he made 2 years ago when he was 17?

Honestly, you can be annoyed at selection all you want but the way you're commenting on a young adults character without any evidence is disgusting.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Let him return to SA.

I wom't miss him.
Gone backwards

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee