Presidents letter

Have read a few times

Virtually conceded the year

We played like it tonight

Flat as tacks

Gee it hurts though

Re: Presidents letter

chook23 wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2024 10:19pm Have read a few times

Flat as tacks

Gee it hurts though
Can you post it here, my ISP stopped providing an email service so my club email is stuck in cyberspace.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
shrodes

bobmurray wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2024 11:33pm

Flat as tacks

Gee it hurts though
Can you post it here, my ISP stopped providing an email service so my club email is stuck in cyberspace.
I hope this letter finds you well and you are enjoying the 2024 AFL season so far.

As we prepare for our first home game at Marvel Stadium for the year, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide our members my reflections on the year to date, as well as an update on our club, both on and off the field.

It has been an up and down start to the men’s season, as we sit 2-3 following a narrow loss to GWS on Saturday. Frustratingly, across all the losses, the total deficit equates to only 13 points and we have had our chances to win every game.

As those who have had the misfortune of being near me at games would attest, I ride the weekly highs and lows as much as anyone. But, whatever the result, I am drawing confidence from the fact that we now have a quality football program and are making positive strides towards our long-term goals.

We were clear when we appointed Ross that we had a lot of work to do in terms of both our processes and our ability to seriously compete on-field, and our plans remain grounded in that reality. Put simply, we are trying to do this the right way, not the easy way.

We have made substantial changes to our overall systems and processes, which we feel will enable us to stand up to the true rigours of this increasingly close competition. And we have made other important changes, including putting our TPP in a much healthier position.

We have brought in young talent through the past two drafts, many of whom you have already seen play at AFL level. As I have mentioned previously, no side has made finals over the past 20 years whilst getting more games into teenagers than we did last year. Our commitment to giving opportunities to our young players has continued into season 2024. Across the first five rounds we have fielded the fourth-youngest team on average ahead of only Gold Coast, North Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Whilst we will be looking to even our ledger on Thursday night against the Bulldogs and to keep winning every week beyond that, it is adherence to the above processes and progress against our long-term plans which will continue to be our focus.

Our commitment to driving relentlessly towards success extends to our AFLW program, which came oh so close to a maiden finals berth in 2023.

Since the completion of the AFLW season, we have welcomed an exciting pair of draftees in Kiera Whiley and father-daughter selection Charlotte Simpson, as well as traded players Paige Trudgeon and Rene Caris.

The next month will see our female athletes return for pre-season, and I have no doubt they will seek to capitalise on last year’s momentum and show the competition what Saints Footy is all about.

Off the field, I would like to acknowledge the work of Carl Dilena, who has stepped in highly effectively as Acting Chief Executive Officer since Simon Lethlean’s departure earlier this year. Carl’s steady hand has been crucial in allowing time for the Board and I to undertake the selection process for a full-time appointee. That process remains ongoing, and I will update you all as soon as we have made a decision.

I would also like to publicly congratulate Jen Douglas on her recent elevation to Vice President of our Board alongside Russell Caplan. This role reflects not only Jen’s standing on our Board, but also the responsibilities she holds. Her passion for seeing our AFL and AFLW programs succeed is second to none, as is her unwavering dedication to seeing the sustainable growth and prosperity of the club as a whole.

Earlier this season we celebrated Spud’s Game and I thank all our members for their incredible support. Not only did we see a great win against Collingwood (and don’t we all love beating them), but we also managed to raise significant funds for the mental health programs run at the Danny Frawley Centre.

Through these programs, as well as the recently opened ISN Clinic at the DFC, we know that lives are being saved, and the generous support of Saints fans and donors is the bedrock of enabling Spud’s dream to turn into reality.

My thoughts are also with the Plympton family, as we came together last week to celebrate the life and contributions of former president, Andrew Plympton AM. Andrew’s passion for all things St Kilda was undeniable. Throughout his tenure as president, Andrew tackled many obstacles which helped shape our club permanently for the better.

Andrew’s funeral was a wonderful celebration of a great man and the St Kilda representation (including an honour guard of former players) was enormous and, I know, greatly appreciated by his family. I know I speak for all who love the red, white and black in saying we will forever be grateful for Andrew’s life and legacy.

Before I leave you, the most important acknowledgment I wish to make is to our members and fans. We heard you in the stands down in Geelong, we saw you flood into the MCG with pride in Round 2 and we continue to need you more than ever.

Marvel Stadium is our home, and we want every opposition who meets us there to know they are not among friends.

I look forward to seeing you all there in full kit and full voice on Thursday night.

Take care and go Saints.
Andrew

Dear Andrew,

Get f***ed mate.

SS Whinge crew

(Go Saints)

shrodes wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2024 11:42pm
bobmurray wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2024 11:33pm

Flat as tacks

Gee it hurts though
I hope this letter finds you well and you are enjoying the 2024 AFL season so far.

As we prepare for our first home game at Marvel Stadium for the year, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide our members my reflections on the year to date, as well as an update on our club, both on and off the field.

It has been an up and down start to the men’s season, as we sit 2-3 following a narrow loss to GWS on Saturday. Frustratingly, across all the losses, the total deficit equates to only 13 points and we have had our chances to win every game.

As those who have had the misfortune of being near me at games would attest, I ride the weekly highs and lows as much as anyone. But, whatever the result, I am drawing confidence from the fact that we now have a quality football program and are making positive strides towards our long-term goals.

We were clear when we appointed Ross that we had a lot of work to do in terms of both our processes and our ability to seriously compete on-field, and our plans remain grounded in that reality. Put simply, we are trying to do this the right way, not the easy way.

We have made substantial changes to our overall systems and processes, which we feel will enable us to stand up to the true rigours of this increasingly close competition. And we have made other important changes, including putting our TPP in a much healthier position.

We have brought in young talent through the past two drafts, many of whom you have already seen play at AFL level. As I have mentioned previously, no side has made finals over the past 20 years whilst getting more games into teenagers than we did last year. Our commitment to giving opportunities to our young players has continued into season 2024. Across the first five rounds we have fielded the fourth-youngest team on average ahead of only Gold Coast, North Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Whilst we will be looking to even our ledger on Thursday night against the Bulldogs and to keep winning every week beyond that, it is adherence to the above processes and progress against our long-term plans which will continue to be our focus.

Our commitment to driving relentlessly towards success extends to our AFLW program, which came oh so close to a maiden finals berth in 2023.

Since the completion of the AFLW season, we have welcomed an exciting pair of draftees in Kiera Whiley and father-daughter selection Charlotte Simpson, as well as traded players Paige Trudgeon and Rene Caris.

The next month will see our female athletes return for pre-season, and I have no doubt they will seek to capitalise on last year’s momentum and show the competition what Saints Footy is all about.

Off the field, I would like to acknowledge the work of Carl Dilena, who has stepped in highly effectively as Acting Chief Executive Officer since Simon Lethlean’s departure earlier this year. Carl’s steady hand has been crucial in allowing time for the Board and I to undertake the selection process for a full-time appointee. That process remains ongoing, and I will update you all as soon as we have made a decision.

I would also like to publicly congratulate Jen Douglas on her recent elevation to Vice President of our Board alongside Russell Caplan. This role reflects not only Jen’s standing on our Board, but also the responsibilities she holds. Her passion for seeing our AFL and AFLW programs succeed is second to none, as is her unwavering dedication to seeing the sustainable growth and prosperity of the club as a whole.

Earlier this season we celebrated Spud’s Game and I thank all our members for their incredible support. Not only did we see a great win against Collingwood (and don’t we all love beating them), but we also managed to raise significant funds for the mental health programs run at the Danny Frawley Centre.

Through these programs, as well as the recently opened ISN Clinic at the DFC, we know that lives are being saved, and the generous support of Saints fans and donors is the bedrock of enabling Spud’s dream to turn into reality.

My thoughts are also with the Plympton family, as we came together last week to celebrate the life and contributions of former president, Andrew Plympton AM. Andrew’s passion for all things St Kilda was undeniable. Throughout his tenure as president, Andrew tackled many obstacles which helped shape our club permanently for the better.

Andrew’s funeral was a wonderful celebration of a great man and the St Kilda representation (including an honour guard of former players) was enormous and, I know, greatly appreciated by his family. I know I speak for all who love the red, white and black in saying we will forever be grateful for Andrew’s life and legacy.

Before I leave you, the most important acknowledgment I wish to make is to our members and fans. We heard you in the stands down in Geelong, we saw you flood into the MCG with pride in Round 2 and we continue to need you more than ever.

Marvel Stadium is our home, and we want every opposition who meets us there to know they are not among friends.

I look forward to seeing you all there in full kit and full voice on Thursday night.

Take care and go Saints.
Andrew
Thanks shrodes. :D

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?

The right way....not the easy way.

If I was a player I'd be confused about what that means

Annoyedsaint

A corporate word salad. Complete waste of time to read it.

Then interviewed and says we don’t want to go too early on free agency.

Lyon last week sprouted that we never give up.
That lasted about 5 mins tonight.

Annoyedsaint wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 12:13am A corporate word salad. Complete waste of time to read it.

Then interviewed and says we don’t want to go too early on free agency.

Lyon last week sprouted that we never give up.
That lasted about 5 mins tonight.
Yes
A q and a with the pres board and coaches would be good just to ask things like
Why the poor starts
Why .....etc

I’d like the Prez to put some more meat on the bone with regards to what does he exactly mean when he says “not the easy way”

What’s he actually envisioning with regards to how hard the list build needs to be, I know Lyon has said recently that we are going to the national draft again this year and then FA in 2026 which kind of suggests he thinks we will be in the premiership window in 2027 ish.

But a lot will depend how much magic his wand has with regards to the current crop of kids all turning into stars, as we know, statistics suggest highly unlikely many of them won’t make it.

Point being I think it needs to be a 10 year term for Lyon and if we squeeze a flag in that time we will have been lucky.

Think Scott and Geelong, took him over 10 years to get his second which we all know is really his first because his first belongs to Bomber. And that’s at one of the best run clubs in the comp.

Apart from freaking the supporter base out, what was the point of the letter?

Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 1:58pm I know Lyon has said recently that we are going to the national draft again this year and then FA in 2026 which kind of suggests he thinks we will be in the premiership window in 2027 ish.

Point being I think it needs to be a 10 year term for Lyon and if we squeeze a flag in that time we will have been lucky.
When do you think we should extend his current contract? In 2025 so that other clubs don't come after him (personally I think that ship has sailed but many would disagree with me)...or should we wait until 2026?

Could Bassatt make the same mistake twice?

Is it possible that RTB is extended in the middle of 2026 and then by the end of that year, the board change their mind?

With your faith and trust in the coach and your declaration of a 10 year term...what would you need to see to give Lyon a further 3 or 4 year extension?

What if we finish bottom 4 in 2025 and 2026?

We should have bit the bullet in 2018/2019 and declared we were rebuilding back then.

Could have had Rachele or Mac Andrew along with NWM Windy and Owens ALL from 2021 :cry:

Could have possibly been wooden spooners in 2023 and picked up Harley Ried.

When do Tasmania come into the league?

SaintPav wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 2:00pm Apart from freaking the supporter base out, what was the point of the letter?
  • He declared that last year was a welcome surprise but it wasn't expected and it wasn't part of their longer term plans.

Get ready for more pain Saints fans

We are officially in rebuild mode. We are ambitious and we hope you stick with us.

SaintPav wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 2:00pm Apart from freaking the supporter base out, what was the point of the letter?
I feel your pain.
PS: it's going to get worse.

Let's assume the class of 2021 are all with us and improving as expected. They'll have played 100 games by 2027. Some like NWM may notch up the milestone in 2026

Pou might be somewhere around the 80 -100 mark in 2026/2027. Maybe Shoey, Garcia, Hastie and Collard will have 50 games experience around then.

Guys like Van Es and Keeler would have hopefully played 30-50 games in 2026/2027

That is our reality

Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 6:31pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 1:58pm I know Lyon has said recently that we are going to the national draft again this year and then FA in 2026 which kind of suggests he thinks we will be in the premiership window in 2027 ish.

When do you think we should extend his current contract? In 2025 so that other clubs don't come after him (personally I think that ship has sailed but many would disagree with me)...or should we wait until 2026?

Could Bassatt make the same mistake twice?

Is it possible that RTB is extended in the middle of 2026 and then by the end of that year, the board change their mind?

With your faith and trust in the coach and your declaration of a 10 year term...what would you need to see to give Lyon a further 3 or 4 year extension?

What if we finish bottom 4 in 2025 and 2026?
It's not my faith and trust in a coach, it's my faith and trust in the club and their ability to get the sum of all parts right consistently over a sustained duration (see Geelong)

The biggest part of that sum being talent acquisition over all else and that's why in a sense I'm happy for Ross to be the coach that gets the long term tenure because talent acquisition is impacted severely when coaches are changed regularly...amongst other things.

Talent acquisition is a really long game, it needs competency to procure it but it needs stability and patience to stockpile enough of it (see Geelong).

Bassett is clearly winging it, he's a rich bloke who just happens to be a Saints fan, And I'm all good with his current plan but I have my doubts he won't turn on Lyon at short notice if the pressure comes for him. Lyon has convinced him it's a long game, Bassett's only role is to back him on that. So it's a game of who blinks first when the coterie and members turn on themselves. And that's the vicious cycle we find ourselves in regularly.

So keep Lyon there for 10 years, I'd even consider moving him up to board level in charge of all things football at a certain point within that 10 years and move Harves into head coach, I mean come on, clearly Harves is the heir apparent, but having someone like Lyon with total oversight helps keep the club stable and focused on the key area of talent acquisition and development, like building a super factory.

Talent Talent and more Talent....that's core business

So keep Lyon there for 10 years, I'd even consider moving him up to board level in charge of all things football at a certain point within that 10 years and move Harves into head coach, I mean come on, clearly Harves is the heir apparent, but having someone like Lyon with total oversight helps keep the club stable and focused on the key area of talent acquisition and development, like building a super factory.
one would hope thats the plan

Lyon is not Leigh Matthews or Kevin Sheedy.

We came close in 2009 and 2010, but hey... c'mon. That's history. That doesn't help the club in 2025, 2026 and beyond

Bassatt appointed Lyon with a promise to make us relevant. Was that just based on 12 months performance?

2023 was a year where we fell into the top 8 due to Freo, Adelaide, Essendon, Bulldogs, Geelong and Richmond having poor years. We can't expect teams around us to falter every year, for us to make finals.

Freo, Bulldogs, and Geelong look strong. Adelaide, Essendon and possibly West Coast could be improving over the next 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be anointing Lyon as a saviour of our club or a success until he actually achieves his long term objectives.

Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:44pm Lyon is not Leigh Matthews or Kevin Sheedy.

We came close in 2009 and 2010, but hey... c'mon. That's history. That doesn't help the club in 2025, 2026 and beyond

2023 was a year where we fell into the top 8 due to Freo, Adelaide, Essendon, Bulldogs, Geelong and Richmond having poor years. We can't expect teams around us to falter every year, for us to make finals.

Freo, Bulldogs, and Geelong look strong. Adelaide, Essendon and possibly West Coast could be improving over the next 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be anointing Lyon as a saviour of our club or a success until he actually achieves his long term objectives.
Sure, guy rescued us from certain death falling into a bottomless crevasse, but what he he done for us lately, other than beat Collingwood, do a Lazarus against Richmond make Geelong sweat bullets, get within point of GWS in CBR.....

the first objective , has gotta be making the final 8
year in year out

like ... the geelongs 'n the swans

expect to make the 8

at least from there ... we is a chance

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:51pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:44pm Lyon is not Leigh Matthews or Kevin Sheedy.

Sure, guy rescued us from certain death falling into a bottomless crevasse, but what he he done for us lately, other than beat Collingwood, do a Lazarus against Richmond make Geelong sweat bullets, get within point of GWS in CBR.....
Another disciple and fanboy

Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:59pm

Is that worse than being a bed wetter?

asiu wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:51pm the first objective , has gotta be making the final 8
year in year out

like ... the geelongs 'n the swans

expect to make the 8

at least from there ... we is a chance
The hardest thing to do at a footy club is bite the bullet and rebuild your list for a third or fourth time.

We saw that the first rebuild under Pelchen was a failure from 2012-2015.

The second attempt under Elshaugh, Sexton, Cox, Richo and Finnis also failed. They talked about making finals in 2016 and 2017 and we failed.

Lethlean came in 2018 and went down the money ball route instead of dropping down the ladder and hitting the draft.

We are now doing it right imo as far as the strategy for the rebuild. The development side is also just as important...if not more important than the senior coaching. I believe we are finally putting enough money and resources in this area to ensure that we get the best out of the young talent we recruit

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 8:20pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:59pm

Is that worse than being a bed wetter?
Just explain to me how we were rescued from certain death? :shock:

Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2024 1:58pm I’d like the Prez to put some more meat on the bone with regards to what does he exactly mean when he says “not the easy way”

What’s he actually envisioning with regards to how hard the list build needs to be, I know Lyon has said recently that we are going to the national draft again this year and then FA in 2026 which kind of suggests he thinks we will be in the premiership window in 2027 ish.

But a lot will depend how much magic his wand has with regards to the current crop of kids all turning into stars, as we know, statistics suggest highly unlikely many of them won’t make it.

Think Scott and Geelong, took him over 10 years to get his second which we all know is really his first because his first belongs to Bomber. And that’s at one of the best run clubs in the comp.
Valid points