Charlie Cameron suspended stiff to not get the StKilda tax

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Charlie Cameron suspended stiff to not get the StKilda tax

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:32am Christian needs to go asap. The system needs a complete overhaul, tacking on pieces to Adrian Anderson's silly matrix is a foolish waste of band-aids, making bad worse
I'm not fan of the MRO but, to be fair, he did suspend Cameron for the act and it was the tribunal that overturned the decision.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2024 11:56am
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:32am Christian needs to go asap. The system needs a complete overhaul, tacking on pieces to Adrian Anderson's silly matrix is a foolish waste of band-aids, making bad worse
I'm not fan of the MRO but, to be fair, he did suspend Cameron for the act and it was the tribunal that overturned the decision.
OK, can't argue that. Was trying to make the points that 1) by definition he got it wrong, but I thought because it was not a citable incident ; didn't know there was a good bloke defence either, but, and 2) he missed/misses or overlooks citable incidents and is never accountable for his inconsistency.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Tribunal appears to have gone out of its way to make things difficult for the AFL.

Fair enough, overturn the decision on the basis of Cameron’s record. He has always struck me as being a clean player: goes for the ball, doesn’t snipe. I know the AFL doesn’t seem to want to bring players’ past records into these decisions as much as used to happen, but it’s surely tolerable.

But why on earth did the tribunal feel that they had had to take account of his off-field activities!

Future tribunal hearings are now going to be flooded with priests, rabbis, imams, school principals, politicians, Australians of the Year, little old ladies from across the road and goodness knows who else trying to give testimony on behalf of players facing suspension.

It’s going to make an already farcical process still more farcical. Well done tribunal. Here are your fake noses and baggy pants.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2024 5:12am Fair enough, overturn the decision on the basis of Cameron’s record. He has always struck me as being a clean player: goes for the ball, doesn’t snipe. I know the AFL doesn’t seem to want to bring players’ past records into these decisions as much as used to happen, but it’s surely tolerable.

But why on earth did the tribunal feel that they had had to take account of his off-field activities!

Future tribunal hearings are now going to be flooded with priests, rabbis, imams, school principals, politicians, Australians of the Year, little old ladies from across the road and goodness knows who else trying to give testimony on behalf of players facing suspension.

It’s going to make an already farcical process still more farcical. Well done tribunal. Here are your fake noses and baggy pants.
You should not be able to determine guilt based on character.
Guilt should be on the evidence alone.
Sentencing should take into account character.

Repeat offenders should always be dealt with more harshly...First time offenders - especially if you've played over 200 games without being cited - should be dealt with more empathy if the offense is not intentional.

Intentional acts should not take into account character - no free passes if you deliberatly act to harm.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Indeed - so this time Toby gets suspended - as well as Hogan

Guess who they are playing?

Starts with Bris rhymes with distain.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The problem with "good behaviour" is that it's being used as a bonus, where it should be the opposite.

The decision should be the decision, and repeat offenders have weeks added on.

It's still a huge farce, and the AFL has said nothing to acknowledge or address it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Toby, fantastic player and probably a great bloke.

But - given the four weeks to Peter Wright in round 1 for similar - one week for that, with his record? No penalty for Cameron because he is a so-called good bloke?

It’s a lot to ask from the AFL, but some consistency would be appreciated.

All very well to make an example of some poor bugger like Jimmy Webster - a battler from a small club. The AFL was big and tough in laying down that penalty, but pleads special circumstances for special players and good blokes.

It’s being diluted by the week. So much for the war on protecting the head. Typical policy on the run from a weak organisation and tbh, I expect no less from it