CHANGE OF ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

CHANGE OF ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi all

As you might know, my personal situation with sick parents, a kid doing VCE and a business to run has meant that I handed over Moderation duties last year.

I have made the decision to step away from Saintsational as the Administrator and after having consulted with Damien over the last few months, we have decided to hand over the keys to the forum to Nick Splitter (n1ck) and Darren Parkin (Harveysdeciple).

You might know Nick and Darren from way back in the day when they were admins of the forum through the late 90s and early 2000s, or from their Saints podcast 'Unpluggered.'

This forum has a special place in all of our hearts and all want to see it succeed and flourish, it would be great to see Saintsational regain it's place as the single best destination for Saints fans to chat footy online.

Over the next few days and weeks as I step back and transition away, Nick will be looking for some assistance with more moderators/admins so if you feel like assisting with this in some capacity please reach out to one of us.

The digital landscape has changed and continues to change from the days when the forum was set up so it will require some work and resources to keep it alive, and indeed, growing. Both Nick and Darren have extensive experience in digital media and marketing and are well placed to take over ownership with Sportscaster Media and make any of the decisions that need to be made in this regard.

I want to stress that these discussions about the future of the forum have been ongoing for a while, including with Damien (original owner/founder), and a lot of thought has gone into this decision. We feel that this is the best way to allow Saintsational to survive and flourish.

While not much will change in the short term, I am sure Nick and Darren will continue to keep everyone apprised of any plans for the future as things arise and develop.

I shall also try to pop in on occasion and contribute again.

Thanks for all of your past support.

And GO SAINTS!

Simon

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: CHANGE OF ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT

Might have to invite a few of the old trolls back to drive up traffic.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Hi all

Just wanted to say g'day - it's been a while between drinks but always seem to return here so nice to be back involved with SS!

I wanted to say a massive thank you to Simon for keeping the ball rolling here for so long, and I have no doubt that the forum would simply not exist if not for his time and effort over the last few years.

It does take resources to maintain and develop sites and communities like Saintsational. We need moderators, admins, upgrades, technology, - there is so much that this forum has to offer Saints' fandom and I really believe we can be that place again for Saints fans. I remember when we had more users on here than the club had members - it's mind-boggling how popular this forum was and there's no reason it can't be that again.

Will be checking out the whole kit and caboodle over the next little while to get a sense of where some of the tech upgrades, updates, securities and improvements can come from ... and what sort of resources it's going to take to action and deliver.

I'll be setting some up some communications channels so once done please feel free to get in touch with suggestions and/or ideas once that's all up and running.

In the short term the forum will be business as usual. Abit like Simon in the early days we will be pretty hands off from a front-end perspective while looking at the infrastructure and moving some of that under the tech/billing umbrella of Sportscaster Media so if you'd like to be involved at some level please do let me know.

I am looking forward to working with you all again! Please be kind to each other, and go Saints...

Cheers
Nick

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 3:49pm Hi all

As you might know, my personal situation with sick parents, a kid doing VCE and a business to run has meant that I handed over Moderation duties last year.

I have made the decision to step away from Saintsational as the Administrator and after having consulted with Damien over the last few months, we have decided to hand over the keys to the forum to Nick Splitter (n1ck) and Darren Parkin (Harveysdeciple).

You might know Nick and Darren from way back in the day when they were admins of the forum through the late 90s and early 2000s, or from their Saints podcast 'Unpluggered.'

This forum has a special place in all of our hearts and all want to see it succeed and flourish, it would be great to see Saintsational regain it's place as the single best destination for Saints fans to chat footy online.

Over the next few days and weeks as I step back and transition away, Nick will be looking for some assistance with more moderators/admins so if you feel like assisting with this in some capacity please reach out to one of us.

The digital landscape has changed and continues to change from the days when the forum was set up so it will require some work and resources to keep it alive, and indeed, growing. Both Nick and Darren have extensive experience in digital media and marketing and are well placed to take over ownership with Sportscaster Media and make any of the decisions that need to be made in this regard.

I want to stress that these discussions about the future of the forum have been ongoing for a while, including with Damien (original owner/founder), and a lot of thought has gone into this decision. We feel that this is the best way to allow Saintsational to survive and flourish.

While not much will change in the short term, I am sure Nick and Darren will continue to keep everyone apprised of any plans for the future as things arise and develop.

I shall also try to pop in on occasion and contribute again.

Thanks for all of your past support.

And GO SAINTS!

Simon

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Is there an error going on at the moment.

On the top of this forum, I get this

hpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 370: A non-numeric value encountered
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 383: A non-numeric value encountered

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 9:51pm Is there an error going on at the moment.

On the top of this forum, I get this

hpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 370: A non-numeric value encountered
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/cleantalk/antispam/model/main_model.php on line 383: A non-numeric value encountered
Have started seeing it as of this morning as well - I have sent it off to the developer to take a look at it!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Me too.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Looks like the phpBB instance udpated overnight and theres some random code outliers. The developer is looking into it, but essentially this is one of the things I want to look at in terms of infrastructure - phpBB was the world standard in forum software but is now outdated and difficult platform to maintain. So what does that look like in terms of requirements, upkeep, changing software, cost etc - not sure yet.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 3:11pm Looks like the phpBB instance udpated overnight and theres some random code outliers. The developer is looking into it, but essentially this is one of the things I want to look at in terms of infrastructure - phpBB was the world standard in forum software but is now outdated and difficult platform to maintain. So what does that look like in terms of requirements, upkeep, changing software, cost etc - not sure yet.
thanks nick.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

No update on this yet apart to say I am still working on it!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I have just installed a new SSL (security) certificate - it may take some time to populate but am hoping that will contribute to a fix.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Just confirming that these errors have since been resolved. Turns out one of the extensions (Cleantalk) installed on the forum was not compatible with the new version of phpBB that updated a few weeks ago and needed a (very!) manual update which took quite a while to diagnose and then fix.

Hopefully fixed now.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 1:26pm Just confirming that these errors have since been resolved. Turns out one of the extensions (Cleantalk) installed on the forum was not compatible with the new version of phpBB that updated a few weeks ago and needed a (very!) manual update which took quite a while to diagnose and then fix.

Hopefully fixed now.
All good.

NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 3:22pm
n1ck wrote: Wed 05 Jul 2023 1:26pm Just confirming that these errors have since been resolved. Turns out one of the extensions (Cleantalk) installed on the forum was not compatible with the new version of phpBB that updated a few weeks ago and needed a (very!) manual update which took quite a while to diagnose and then fix.

Hopefully fixed now.
All good.
:roll:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully fixed now.
Thanks Nick much appreciated

“Yeah….nah””