Bogy team(s)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Bogy team(s)

I nominate ours as Port Adelaide. Followed by the Suns. But gee Port get more than the rub of the green off us, it's like a curse.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bogy team(s)

In fairness though… we barely ever play them in Melbourne

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/stkilda/overall_wl.html

It's not pretty reading.

Gold Coast, University and The Bears are our preferred opponents, I wonder what rounds we'll get them in this coming season.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I haven't looked at the stats or tables, etc, however imo, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Geelong, Sydney and Brisbane have been our bogey sides for a while now. although we're starting to beat some of them nowadays.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 11 Feb 2024 8:36pm https://afltables.com/afl/teams/stkilda/overall_wl.html

It's not pretty reading.

Gold Coast, University and The Bears are our preferred opponents, I wonder what rounds we'll get them in this coming season.
I think we are playing university in round 5

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Geelong, and Sydney have been problematic teams for us since 2011. There have been clear reasons for this insipid performance. They have a huge home ground advantage, plus we haven’t been very good for most of those years, while those teams have.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

It must be the Adelaide-based teams. Geelong at Sleepy Hollow only. We've beaten them away from their taxpayer-funded dung heap often enough to disqualify them from true bogey status.

As for those Adelaide teams, as other posters have pointed out, we don't get many chances to play them at our home.

As for that shithole "City of Churches", I like to invoke the words of the great author, Salman Rushdie, when he opened the Adelaide Writers' Festival in 1984. He said,

"Adelaide is a weird Gothic town, and it is in such towns that weird Gothic crimes are committed."

Then he sealed his fate by adding,
"It is the perfect setting for a Stephen King novel or horror film.’ ‘Adelaide’ he proclaimed ‘is Amityville or Salem, and things here go bump in the night."

Not surprisingly, this was to be the first and last time Rushdie was invited to open events in Adelaide.

In any event, Rushdie's words proved both historical and prophetic. From the abduction of the Beaumont children, the abduction, sexual torture, and murder of Richard Kelvin, and the Snowtown murders, to name a few, makes Adelaide the most dangerous place in the country.

Maybe we are cursed to lose in that City. The weird Gothic vibe Rushdie spoke about must be at odds with our "Saintly" aura.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Port Adelaide are by far our modern bogey team. We have won just 1 of our last 13 vs the Power.

We won our first five matches against Port, but have won only 6 of 30 since. We have not beaten them in Melbourne since 2010.

Port Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne currently hold the longest winning streaks against us, 4 games. No other team has won more than their last two against us.

Melbourne is the only team we haven't beaten in the last four seasons.

Gold Coast is a strange call though, we've won 8 of our last 9 against them.

We've not beaten Geelong twice in a row since 2010. Round 1 presents a nice opportunity to end that.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Suns games in GC always seem a hard watch.
Standard, atmosphere and frustrating closeness?

StPeter
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 11 Feb 2024 7:52pm I nominate ours as Port Adelaide. Followed by the Suns. But gee Port get more than the rub of the green off us, it's like a curse.
We have beaten the Suns 8 of last 9 and overall 13/18 !!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

How the times have changed - it used to be Carlton and Essendon.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 12 Feb 2024 8:12am

We've not beaten Geelong twice in a row since 2010. Round 1 presents a nice opportunity to end that.
Same with Sydney.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Brisbane at the Gabbatoir for me because I have rarely seen them win when attending the match. But for a full record check this:

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/stkilda/byteam_wl.html

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 12 Feb 2024 1:22am It must be the Adelaide-based teams. Geelong at Sleepy Hollow only. We've beaten them away from their taxpayer-funded dung heap often enough to disqualify them from true bogey status.

As for those Adelaide teams, as other posters have pointed out, we don't get many chances to play them at our home.

As for that shithole "City of Churches", I like to invoke the words of the great author, Salman Rushdie, when he opened the Adelaide Writers' Festival in 1984. He said,

"Adelaide is a weird Gothic town, and it is in such towns that weird Gothic crimes are committed."

Then he sealed his fate by adding,
"It is the perfect setting for a Stephen King novel or horror film.’ ‘Adelaide’ he proclaimed ‘is Amityville or Salem, and things here go bump in the night."

Not surprisingly, this was to be the first and last time Rushdie was invited to open events in Adelaide.

In any event, Rushdie's words proved both historical and prophetic. From the abduction of the Beaumont children, the abduction, sexual torture, and murder of Richard Kelvin, and the Snowtown murders, to name a few, makes Adelaide the most dangerous place in the country.

Maybe we are cursed to lose in that City. The weird Gothic vibe Rushdie spoke about must be at odds with our "Saintly" aura.
More of a midfield issue rather than any twilight zone prophecies. We just haven't recruited midfielders. Makes it hard. Hopefully that should start to improve now.

Killa
Club Player

Well, in defence of Adelaide, do you characterise Melbourne by a woman who allegedly served poisonous mushrooms to her dinner guests?

Or by a lady who goes for a jog and has not been sighted since

I think not

You never judge others by self no matter where you live - witness the reasons Sydney is in the headlines presently

When I return to Adelaide, these days for reunions and for the Tour Down Under, I, for one, am impressed by the presentation of the City and its surrounds

Port Adelaide Football Club has the history it has, you either barrack for Port Adelaide or you regard them as the enemy.

Adelaide Football Club is a hybrid Club created to join the National competition - and supported by all who follow Australian Rules football and who do not support Port Adelaide (noting some prefer the SANFL competition and local leagues over the AFL)

Adelaide was once a City reliant on manufacture, from motor vehicles to white goods

Now it is a City of education supporting a seevices industry culture which embraces lifestyle with its restaurants, arts and sport

The transition was down to Dunstan whose forward thinking identified that manufacture and the ownership of manufacture had a limited future so diversified the economy

Adelaide has markedly changed over the past 50 years

King Max
Club Player

Killa wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024 8:18pm Well, in defence of Adelaide, do you characterise Melbourne by a woman who allegedly served poisonous mushrooms to her dinner guests?

Or by a lady who goes for a jog and has not been sighted since

I think not
Probably not, because one was Ballarat and the other was Leongatha.

Killa
Club Player

And Snowtown is a town in the mid north of SA

The person who murdered the former Adelaide Coach hailed from Melbourne if I recall correctly

Anyway, back to the footy and seeing if there are any reports on the later match up today

Noting it is the future which will define the players currently on our List, not a past which has been spectacular courtesy of failure to win more than the one premiership way back in 1966

Only one side wins the premiership in any given year so a hell of a lot needs to go right to climb the mountain

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think based on not only 2023, but since 2020, the bogy teams definitely seem to now be Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane Lions, Collingwood and the Crows.

Given that four of those sides have been top 4 for much of the decade so far, it's hardly surprising.

Bar those five, I am pretty confident of us beating anybody on our day.