Calling Saints Mega Fans - Trivia Competition at hand

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Calling Saints Mega Fans - Trivia Competition at hand

Hi everyone…

I threw together a Saints trivia challenge to help pass the time.

The winner shall be decreed by me… as the knowingness know-it-all of the forum and on one occasion, can use their title/authority to categorically end a debate with their view.

Here are the rules… and the first one is the big one. Internet trivia sucks as the temptation to cheat is right at your fingertips. Honour system rules. No looking up the answers. There are a few specific answers or obscure details sought. Using my authority as quiz master… if you’re close enough or roughly know the answer… I’ll pay it.

Next… hit reply immediately. Don’t read other people’s answers.

Number 3 - No hating the quiz master if I get one wrong. It’s late and I’ve been drinking

There are 20 questions - and bonus points available. I’ll tally scores and reveal the answers + winner when interest has peaked.

And remember… second place means nothing… that’s just a fancy term for losing.

Here we go.

1. Who was the first ever St.Kilda player to be name in the All Australian and who was the most recent?
2. Since the year 2000, one Saints player has kicked 10 or more goals in a single game. Who was it, how many and when?
** turns out there’s 2 - will take either answer.

3. When was St. Kilda’s last drawn match and who was it against?
4. What year was the St.Kilda FC founded and what was its original home ground affecteonality referred to as Alpaca Paddock?
5. Who has played the most consecutive games for the Saints?
6. Round 15 2001 was a miserable night for Saints fans, going down to Adelaide 156 to 59. This game was memorable for Saints fans for three reasons. What are they?
7. The crest is immortalised in St. Kilda’s folklore. What’s it’s significance?
8. The Day After Tomorrow is a blockbuster movie about the end of the world. What’s it’s significance to the Saints?
9. The 2009 GF is disappointing affair known for the Saints failure to convert in front of goal. Who was the only Saints player to kick multiple goals on the day?

10. + Bonus Points
It pbly doesn’t take much to guess who has won the most Coleman Medals for the Saints (hint - he’s the all timer for goals). In addition to him, can you list who was the first ever player the red, white and black to win the Coleman Medal and who was the last?

For bonus points - after the big cheese, who are the next two players to represent the Saints on the all time goal kickers board. Hint - #17 played at 2 clubs including us and #19 was a one club player with us.
(One point each)

Speed round!!!
True or false -

11. Barry Breen wore jumper number #17 for the entirety of his career?
12. St.Kilda’s highest ever score 204pts against Melbourne in 1978?
13. The great Trevor Barker originally played for Cheltenham?
14. For a period of time in the early to mid 1900s, St. Kilda utilised the moniker the Seagulls?
15. The Saints original colours were Red, Yellow and Black but were changed in the context of World War 1?
16. Kevin Neale captained the Saints for one season or more?
17. Red headed cult figure Matty Young played in the 1997 Grand final?
18. Frasier Gehrig is in the top 5 all time goal kickers for the Saints?
19. Raph Clarke was nominated for the Rising Star Award?
20.Jack Steven was named in the All Australian Team on one occasion?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Calling Saints Mega Fans - Trivia Competition at hand

I'm going to attempt this without Google.

1. Who was the first ever St.Kilda player to be name in the All Australian and who was the most recent?
Pass

2. Since the year 2000, one Saints player has kicked 10 or more goals in a single game. Who was it, how many and when?
Milne 11 goals v Lions

I'm going to say Pies in the GF but I think I'm wrong

4. What year was the St.Kilda FC founded and what was its original home ground affecteonality referred to as Alpaca Paddock?
1873 and pass on ground

6. Round 15 2001 was a miserable night for Saints fans, going down to Adelaide 156 to 59. This game was memorable for Saints fans for three reasons. What are they?
Pass

Pass

8. The Day After Tomorrow is a blockbuster movie about the end of the world. What’s it’s significance to the Saints?
Pass

9. In the 2009 GF is disappointing affair known for the Saints failure to convert in front of goal. Who was the only Saints player to kick multiple goals on the day?
Snides

10. + Bonus Points
It pbly doesn’t take much to guess who has won the most Coleman Medals for the Saints (hint - he’s the all timer for goals). In addition to him, can you list who was the first ever player the red, white and black to win the Coleman Medal and who was the last?
Pass

For bonus points - after the big cheese, who are the next two players to represent the Saints on the all time goal kickers board. Hint - #17 played at 2 clubs including us and #19 was a one club player with us.
(One point each)
Pass

Speed round!!!
True or false -

False

True

False

14. For a period of time in the early to mid 1900s, St. Kilda utilised the moniker the Seagulls?
True

15. The Saints original colours were Red, Yellow and Black but were changed in the context of World War 1?
True

True

False

True

True

False

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Very good effort Vort. Hits and misses of course. You got a few of the hard ones that surprised me (in general) and I appreciate your use of the honest system 😁

Currently you're 1/1 being the first to throw the gauntlet

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 10:09am Very good effort Vort. Hits and misses of course. You got a few of the hard ones that surprised me (in general) and I appreciate your use of the honest system 😁

Currently you're 1/1 being the first to throw the gauntlet
Was tougher than I thought, clearly I need to do some study on our deep history. :D

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 26 Jan 2024 10:28pm Hi everyone…

I threw together a Saints trivia challenge to help pass the time.

The winner shall be decreed by me… as the knowingness know-it-all of the forum and on one occasion, can use their title/authority to categorically end a debate with their view.

Here are the rules… and the first one is the big one. Internet trivia sucks as the temptation to cheat is right at your fingertips. Honour system rules. No looking up the answers. There are a few specific answers or obscure details sought. Using my authority as quiz master… if you’re close enough or roughly know the answer… I’ll pay it.

Next… hit reply immediately. Don’t read other people’s answers.

Number 3 - No hating the quiz master if I get one wrong. It’s late and I’ve been drinking

There are 20 questions - and bonus points available. I’ll tally scores and reveal the answers + winner when interest has peaked.

And remember… second place means nothing… that’s just a fancy term for losing.

Here we go.

Neil Roberts - he and my dad are both Melbourne High Old boys in these same class.

Milney

??? I think it was Richmond ?

1873. It was owned by a church near by and changed hands a couple of times.

Name fails me but most of my ancestors and cousins went to St.Kilda Primary. Which was built just before after we moved to the Junction.

Newnes?

Watson Watson and Watson.

The shinboners gave us a flogging and put us in the hospital but we won.

?

9. In the 2009 GF is disappointing affair known for the Saints failure to convert in front of goal. Who was the only Saints player to kick multiple goals on the day?

Schneider. Big bone of contention for me att.

10. + Bonus Points

My dads man crush - George Young

(One point each)

Mohr and Roo

Speed round!!!
True or false -

F
F
F
T
F
F
F
F
T
T

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'll play. :)

Harves(?)

Milney. The greatest small forward goal sneak motor mouth in the history of the VFL/AFL. 11 straight v Teddy Bears. Last H&A game of the season. The next week, the match committee had to overrule Thommo from dropping him(!) Thommo didn't rate Milney when playing interstate.

Would have been sometime under Rich Cho(?)

4. What year was the St.Kilda FC founded and what was its original home ground affectionately referred to as Alpaca Paddock?
1873. The Peanut Farm. (Aptly named.)

Cal Wilkie. (And counting.)

1. Rat's Toss Bag's last game.
2. Jason Cripps first game after a long long injury break. (This also made history, as he became the only player to have played his last 3 games, in three separate seasons, under 3 different coaches. (Alves, Timmy, Toss Bag.)
3. Cripper kicked the first game of the match(?) Or it was some sort of milestone for Stewie L(?)

Awarded for bravery after beating North despite having only 14(?) fit players still standing.

It's Kaiser Wilhelm's second favourite movie after 'AFL The Final Story - 1966 Grand Final'. (See the answer below to the 'colour's question for context.)

Adam Schneider. (Another Kaiser Wilhelm favourite.) Should have had 3 too! Blatant-as free not paid due to the scumpiring vendetta because of that 'clapping incident'. :evil:

10. + Bonus Points
1st ever - Charles Baker. (I'm assuming this isn't a trick question, and that retrospective Coleman winners are counted.)
Most recent - G-Train.

(One point each)
G-Train.
Bill Mohr.

Speed round!!!
True or false -

Started in the No 27(?) Finished in the No 4.

True.

True(?)

True unfortunately.

False. RW&B.
We changed to RW&Yellow during WW1 to get away from Germany's colours. But upon learning of this, Germany then changed to RW&Yellow also. (Kaiser Wilhelm was huge Saintas fan.)

False(?)

False

True

True

20. Jack Steven was named in the All Australian Team on one occasion?
False. Or did he make it onto the bench once..?

21. The Dave McNamara bonus question:
Traditionally, the field umpires have voted for the awarding of the medal for the competition's Best and Fairest player (And they did a pretty fair job, until recent years, where they have now deemed anyone not a midfielder to be ineligible.) But I digress...

Name the three players who have won the competition's B&F award TWICE whilst playing in the Saint's colours.

I can't believe that this one was left out(!) :shock:

PS: Happy Invasion Day everyone for yesterday.

Now..., when do us true patriots get a day to commemorate the actual founding of our nation?

That date btw, is January 1st 1901. :idea: (For those, like Thomas Sewell and Mr Potato Head, who don't seem to have had a chance to consult an actual history book.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ Saint and Dave McNamara, thank you both for playing.

I won’t tally the scores yet but from a cursory glance, I think CQ over took Vort but in all likelihood, me thinks Dave is the likely front runner at this stage.

Plenty of room for improvement.

Couple of questions on the board yet to be answered correctly at all.
The consecutive games one I’ll be shocked if anyone gets but there are a couple that I thought were soft balls that have made it past all three of you.

Also - special congrats to CQ Saint - it took you as only the second participant to break the quiz by catching me out on one of my answers on a technicality (will be revealed later)…
And as far as Dave’s bonus question… it was on my radar but that was the last question cut from the first 10.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 9:06pm CQ Saint and Dave McNamara, thank you both for playing.

I won’t tally the scores yet but from a cursory glance, I think CQ over took Vort but in all likelihood, me thinks Dave is the likely front runner at this stage.

The consecutive games one I’ll be shocked if anyone gets but there are a couple that I thought were soft balls that have made it past all three of you.
As long as I'm ahead of Vort I'm happy.

King Max
Club Player

First, no idea, it’s been around in different guises for many years. Latest, Sinclair was named after Wilkie I guess.If I had to guess the first I’d say Baldock
Milne 11 against Brisbane 2006?
We had a draw against Richmond about 2012. Daniel Archer’s only game. Has there been one since?
1873 and NFI Oval
It used to be Stuart Trott. I can’t remember hearing that Wilkie had passed him but it must be close.
Jason Cripps return game after about 2 years, Chris Oliver debut as well as some blond guy. Blight’s last game.
7. The crest is immortalised in St. Kilda’s folklore. What’s its significance?
Commemorates a game in 1933 where we beat North with 15 men
8. The Day After Tomorrow is a blockbuster movie about the end of the world. What’s its significance to the Saints?
We won 10 in a row in 2004 so GT sent them off to a movie rather than training. It was a disaster movie
9. The 2009 GF is disappointing affair known for the Saints failure to convert in front of goal. Who was the only Saints player to kick multiple goals on the day?
Schneider?
10. + Bonus Points
Bill Mohr and The G Train

(One point each)
Gehrig and Milne

Speed round!!!
True or false -

11. Barry Breen wore jumper number #17 for the entirety of his career? False
12. St.Kilda’s highest ever score 204pts against Melbourne in 1978? True
13. The great Trevor Barker originally played for Cheltenham? True
14. For a period of time in the early to mid 1900s, St. Kilda utilised the moniker the Seagulls? True
15. The Saints original colours were Red, Yellow and Black but were changed in the context of World War 1? False
16. Kevin Neale captained the Saints for one season or more? True
17. Red headed cult figure Matty Young played in the 1997 Grand final? False, would have made a difference if fit
18. Frasier Gehrig is in the top 5 all time goal kickers for the Saints? True
19. Raph Clarke was nominated for the Rising Star Award? True
20.Jack Steven was named in the All Australian Team on one occasion? False

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 9:12pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 9:06pm CQ Saint and Dave McNamara, thank you both for playing.

:lol:
That’s the spirit.

Just in case you missed it, I edited my above post with a tidbit for you

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'll give it a go.

No idea when AA started, but Robert Harvey and Callum Wilkie (Jack Sinclair depending on the order they were announced)

Milne v Brisbane, 11, 2006?

2010 GF (Collingwood)

1873, no idea

Callum WIlkie

Got beat by 100 points, last game for Watson before resignation, I guess not that memorable!

No idea

Still haven't won a 2nd flag by the end of the world.

Milne

10. + Bonus Points
Not sure when the coleman medal started.
Fraser Gehrig

(One point each)
Gehrig and Riewoldt

Speed round!!!
True or false -

11. Barry Breen wore jumper number #17 for the entirety of his career? False
12. St.Kilda’s highest ever score 204pts against Melbourne in 1978? False
13. The great Trevor Barker originally played for Cheltenham? True
14. For a period of time in the early to mid 1900s, St. Kilda utilised the moniker the Seagulls? True
15. The Saints original colours were Red, Yellow and Black but were changed in the context of World War 1? False (good question)
16. Kevin Neale captained the Saints for one season or more? True
17. Red headed cult figure Matty Young played in the 1997 Grand final? False
18. Frasier Gehrig is in the top 5 all time goal kickers for the Saints? True
19. Raph Clarke was nominated for the Rising Star Award? True
20.Jack Steven was named in the All Australian Team on one occasion? False

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did Gehrig ever kick 10?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 9:54pm Did Gehrig ever kick 10?
Crikey you’re right.

Round 20, 2004 vs North
Gehrig kicked 10

I’ll edit accordingly

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 9:12pm

Thinking big is good but impossible dreams can be harmful.

Stay inside your flags.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

I'll have a go at No. 5 and say Ian Synman.
I'll have a stab at the Dave McNamara bonus question and go with Ian Stewart, Robert Harvey, and the legend himself, Dave McNamara when the award was called Champion of the Colony or similar.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Answers everyone… I subscribe to the theory of near enough is good enough. Apologies if the numbers aren’t quite right but I think the leaderboard is the same

So caveat here… i meant this in the context of when the competition went national.
With that in mind, the answers where David Grant (1991) as the first and either Wilkie or Sinclair.
According to wiki, 1958 has Neil Roberts as our first ever

** turns out there’s 2 - will take either answer.

When the question was written, Stephen Milne’s 11 goals vs Brisbane in the last round of 2005. I’ve since been prompted to remember that Gehrig has kicked 10 goals twice - 2004 and 2006

No correct hits.
Round 5, 2018 - Saints vs GWS - 73 apiece
Close to Paddy McCartin’s best game saw the Saints
Carlisle failed to take the match winning mark in the dying seconds - should have been free

1873 - always at the Junction Oval. The nickname was a misdirect

123 Ian Synman (1961–1968)

Jason Cripps return game after a long injury lay off - kicked the first goal
A young Nick Riewoldt debut (as did Chris Oliver - thx King Max)
Blight’s last game

As has been answered - in 1933, Saints hung on to win a game vs North with 15 fit players

Surprised few remember this… as pointed out, this was in 2004 after we won 10 straight and GT suggested the list looked a bit fatigued so they went to see this at the movies. Then they lost to Sydney a few days later.

Adam Schneider

10. + Bonus Points
Lockett
Bill Young (first)
Fraser Gehrig (most recent)

#17 - Barry Hall (hate to call him a Saint)
#19 - Bill Mohr

Speed round!!!
True or false -

False - was a different number in year one. 27 I think

True

True

True. Also briefly known as the Panthers?

False. Other way round.

False

False. Missed with injury.

False!!! 6th behind Locket, Mohr, Riewoldt, Loewe, Milne

True

False

Scores -
Vortex: 8.5
CQ Saints: 13 (accepted the home ground answer - you half answered a few)
Dave McNamara: 15.5 - gave you the benefit of the doubt with the Coleman answer
King Max: 14
Otiman: 12 - loved the answer to the end of the world - multiple bonus points
Nick DalSanto Clause: Only person to get Ian Synman which I thought no one would crack this one - golden point for mine.

Congrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Hey Skeptic.

I'd like to through up some controversy about the Alpaca paddock that has a very personal story.

My dads great great Grand mother was born across the road from St.Kilda Park Primary and her dad owned a fair bit of St.Kilda prior to the St.Kilda Cricket Ground being allocated 8 acres of land, which was previously a training camp for soldiers in the 1840's and 50's

My great great great grandfather was a Commanding officer who worked there and was an early settler with grazing land in that location.

When the cricket club was issued the land near his in the 50's, they filled the land and cut off a stream that lead to the beach through his land and he complained.

At the same time a town planning proposal was drawn over my ancestors leasehold and he was compensated and eventually retained, through buy back, a number of blocks on Fitzroy St and Canterbury road.

He also had part ownership in a piggery that existed right next to what became the Alpaca paddocks in the 1850's and 60's. The weird animals grazed there and stripped the land bare during that time, due to selective tree felling and restoration of swamp land. Then we played there for a number of years, with up to 60 men competing at once, on a field that did not resemble an oval in any shape or form with trees in the field of play. Apparently some of those trees still exist there.

The cricket oval was built in the early fifties on the corner and it took a while to turn what was Yarra swamp lands in to a fashionable surface for playing cricket.
The area it was built on was known as St.Kilda Park and later became Albert Park in 1863 about the same time the St.Kilda Cricket Ground became the Juction Oval, when there was an actual Junction to name it after.

The Junction Oval name was originally a misdirect too. It may be the misdirect you speak of, because my dad had journals from the day referring to the ground as the St.Kilda Cricket Ground and Alpaca Paddock as a seperate space.

My dads reasearch assures me that the Alpaca paddock and the Juction Oval were never the same piece of land and the one acre sight granted to build St.Kilda Park Primary was where we first played football, not the junction oval. That didnt happen until the refinement of the rules of the VFA to play on Cricket ovals a decade or so later.

Cheers. I'm trying to find public sources, not so private ones to back this up, but I'm confident it is correct.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thank you so much for sharing CQ.

I enjoyed the history with a bit of sadness that it went down the way it did

King Max
Club Player

1873 - always at the Junction Oval. The nickname was a misdirect
I always thought the Alpaca paddock had something to do with St Kilda primary school.
Alpaca Paddock is now home to St Kilda Primary School
https://thehickeystand.com/2016/02/24/33/

Or an even better source although a little contradictory:

https://www.saints150.com.au/homes/

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To be honest, I have no idea. The Q&A was either from the Saints page or wiki or something. It itself may not have been entirely right. Appreciate the info

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 11:33am Thank you so much for sharing CQ.

I enjoyed the history with a bit of sadness that it went down the way it did
I think his kids were quite happy with the outcome and he moved down to Flinders and lived his life out there mate. Progress waits for no one.

My cousins are still living in the area today.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

skeptic wrote: Sat 27 Jan 2024 9:06pm And as far as Dave’s bonus question… it was on my radar but that was the last question cut from the first 10.
Thanks for running this quiz. :)

(Even if I still can't believe that Qu 21 didn't make the cut.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: