Biggest questions for 2024 for RTB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Biggest questions for 2024 for RTB

Happy new year to all sainters

From a list perspective, what are the biggest questions/issues for Ross (and coaches) to deal with in 2024.

For me
1 - how will RTB play/mentor both Owens & Phillipou in 2024 with a focus of course for the next 15 years
Throw in the deep end in 2024 or allow further time to develop as young players for the next few years
Owens - more a mid that forward?
Phillipou - more a forward that a mid?

2 - We did not take a ruckman in the draft, so RTB must have considerable faith in Max Heath
How will RTB introduce Max into the seniors? - 2024 0r 2025 & how can we continue the growth of Marshall
Heath - Ruck/forward or forward/ruck?

Your biggest questions for RTB?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Biggest questions for 2024 for RT

I’m most curious about the forward line - how can RTB get it working efficiently.

Max King can be an elite key forward but we seem to be less efficient and more prone to bomb it in with him there
Is Membrey the main #2 or has Coops overtaken him? In fact, is Sharman firmly in the 22. He finished strongly but still needs improve.
With Butler and Higgins taking 2 spots + King… can’t have Membrey, Coops, Caminati and Pou + Owens sitting down there. What’s the pecking order and will it get even messier if Keeler can lift to be a ruck forward.

Or maybe it’s not Keeler… is Heath next in?

To me… the forward line is the x-factor. If it gels and players get up to speed… top 4 beckons

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Biggest questions for 2024 for RTB

Why doesn’t he use Windhager as a defensive inside mid

Why is the forward line so ineffective

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sharman proved he can play under finals conditions and weight of doubt/plenty hoping he would tank. He has to be in the forward set up. Max obviously.
Forward "questions " then: how to use/develop Caminiti who obviously has the X factor.
How essential are Butler, Higgins and Membrey. I suggest not very.
How to get mid field/followers to score a lot more goals.

santazzi
Club Player

Dear RTB, would you be kind enough, once in a while, to log on Santsational and answer a few of our questions?
Just like GT used to.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Jan 2024 11:53pm Why doesn’t he use Windhager as a defensive inside mid

Why is the forward line so ineffective
Kings selection, injuries and develop has hindered our for line.

Bruce left and Membrey went from 44 goal key to 22 goal two way running forward and defensive rebounder.

Then in 23, when he went forward again, because King got injured once again, the pace and pressure seemed to get to him and then he missed the final.

In King comes out in full flight. We stand our ground or go up the ladder.

Membrey or Sharman

Keeler or Hayes (inj)

Marshall and who will ruck.

Sort these out and we are good to go.

That's why we recruited Paddy, Sharman, Hayes and Keeler.

Paddy is gone and Hayes has been injured or recovering for 35 of 44 games.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote: Tue 02 Jan 2024 8:22am Dear RTB, would you be kind enough, once in a while, to log on Santsational and answer a few of our questions?
Just like GT used to.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the best post of all time

I don’t know why but it’s started my morning with a huge giggle.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Mon 01 Jan 2024 10:36pm

2 - We did not take a ruckman in the draft, so RTB must have considerable faith in Max Heath
I disagree with this.

Ruckman often take a while to become good if drafted.

However it is very common for clubs when in the the Premiership Window to trade in a ready yo go ruckman.

Look through the Premiership Winners and you will see many ruckman who started at other AFL clubs. Darcy Cameron this year who started as a Swan.

RTB and Co are building what they hope will become a Premiership Team, but they are well aware that this is a multi -year build.

With Heath I think he will need to lift a lot to be retained at the end of 2024. While handy up forward, his ruck craft is poor still and his tank is very lacking.

PS: The Saints had some ruck draft targets, but with best available selections none where they needed to be to be drafted by us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The biggest question is will our midfield be able to match it consistently with others.

Let's face it, it's been our biggest issue for a decade. In 2023 it was the reason we lost games. There were quarters in games where we were obliterated at the stoppages and the opposition scored heavily from them.

If we don't remedy this, then at best we will scrape into the top eight in 2024 and will need a bit of luck in the process.

The elimination final emphasised to us what we already knew and the additions of Dow and Henry will help. It's not the magic potion, though. Others will need to develop in the midfield and Jack Steele will need to be back to his best

NickyDal
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 10:05am The biggest question is will our midfield be able to match it consistently with others.

Let's face it, it's been our biggest issue for a decade. In 2023 it was the reason we lost games. There were quarters in games where we were obliterated at the stoppages and the opposition scored heavily from them.

If we don't remedy this, then at best we will scrape into the top eight in 2024 and will need a bit of luck in the process.

The elimination final emphasised to us what we already knew and the additions of Dow and Henry will help. It's not the magic potion, though. Others will need to develop in the midfield and Jack Steele will need to be back to his best
If you want to improve our midfield then play Owens, Windhager, Dow and Henry in there full time. Steele, Crouch, Jones and Ross to rotate through the midfield, forward line and bench.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SaintWiki
Club Player

I doubt that RL will be tell us anything that is useful as it'll get into the media and therefore get back to the playing group and the opposition, but it's a good topic and I image what has already been stated in this thread so far are on the minds of us all, besides although there will already be internal discussions and ideas flung about, he'll have a much better picture after pre-season and as it's a long term build. I'm expecting he'll play with some of our suggestions pre-season and indeed next season.

GT was a different cat and those were different times.

I wonder if our Captain will end up in the equation if the rebuild takes too long. (ouch, that slap on my face really hurt)

NickyDal
Club Player

SaintWiki wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 7:17pm I doubt that RL will be tell us anything that is useful as it'll get into the media and therefore get back to the playing group and the opposition, but it's a good topic and I image what has already been stated in this thread so far are on the minds of us all, besides although there will already be internal discussions and ideas flung about, he'll have a much better picture after pre-season and as it's a long term build. I'm expecting he'll play with some of our suggestions pre-season and indeed next season.

I wonder if our Captain will end up in the equation if the rebuild takes too long. (ouch, that slap on my face really hurt)
As I have stated previously, if we don't make finals this year and our youngsters don't take the next step then Steele should be on the table. We would want a FRDP and a SRDP at a minimum. If nobody was prepared to pay that much then obviously we would keep him. But at least we gave it a crack...

NeXus Nick
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’ve come round to the think of that trading established, elite players for long shots is a sure fire strategy towards mediocrity.
Even if their performance wanes, what you need most for the young kids are players capable of playing at that elite level to learn from.
How they prepare, how they train, insights to opposition etc.

After 2011, Goddard, Dal Santo, Milne, Kosi, Baker, King, Gardiner all left in fairly quick succession here and there… whilst Rooey and Monty stayed… 2014 onwards was characterised by players that didn’t work hard enough, skills were never where they needed to be.

We traded for a lot of early picks over that period too… most didn’t work out that well.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

What needs to happen to go from bottom 4 for scoring to top 4 for scoring without compromising our top 2 defence ?

How do you fast track our first, second and third year players so they can take us to the next level without the need to give up wins ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Vazelos
Club Player

Forward line needs to strengthen from the issues of last year.
That can happen with a healthy King and Membrey, Sharman building on his finals performance and look out for Collard he will play early in the senior team. The GWS final showed we lacked a player with speed and X factor in the deeper pockets of the G and look out for Henry to go down there at times and make an impact.
I hope Hayes stays fit he is a beautiful kick for goal.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 8:32pm
SaintWiki wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 7:17pm I doubt that RL will be tell us anything that is useful as it'll get into the media and therefore get back to the playing group and the opposition, but it's a good topic and I image what has already been stated in this thread so far are on the minds of us all, besides although there will already be internal discussions and ideas flung about, he'll have a much better picture after pre-season and as it's a long term build. I'm expecting he'll play with some of our suggestions pre-season and indeed next season.

As I have stated previously, if we don't make finals this year and our youngsters don't take the next step then Steele should be on the table. We would want a FRDP and a SRDP at a minimum. If nobody was prepared to pay that much then obviously we would keep him. But at least we gave it a crack...
Captain Jack will never be on the trade table and it is just a ridiculous suggestion from someone who doesn't have a clue, or is just trying to wind the forum up with a troll.

And I didn't even swear. :wink:

NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 11:47am

Captain Jack will never be on the trade table and it is just a ridiculous suggestion from someone who doesn't have a clue, or is just trying to wind the forum up with a troll.

I'm not trying to wind up anyone. I firmly believe what I posted. If you disagree then that's no problem.

NeXus Nick
B.M
Saintsational Legend

You don’t trade champions unless they request it

Have we not learned from the fiasco a decade ago

NickyDal
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 1:02pm You don’t trade champions unless they request it

Have we not learned from the fiasco a decade ago
Just because we stuffed it up a decade ago means nothing.

NeXus Nick
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 12:48pm

I'm not trying to wind up anyone. I firmly believe what I posted. If you disagree then that's no problem.
yeah. I disagree...strongly.

SaintWiki
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 1:21pm
NickyDal wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 12:48pm

yeah. I disagree...strongly.
Just to be clear - I never suggested anything about trading Jack, but he is now 28 has some injury niggles, if he can't shake them off we would need our rebuild to be successful in the next five years for him to be guaranteed to be part of it. I'm sure he'll retire if and when he can't contribute.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He will play another 4-5 seasons