A moderation discussion - opinions sought

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A moderation discussion - opinions sought

Hi everyone,

As it’s a bit of a slow time in the year as far as football talk goes, it’s a good opportunity now for a bit of a retrospective. I’ve been a mod for about 3-4 months and there’s a general developing style to how I’m going about this and it has been a really interesting learning curve. One thing that stands out however is that IMO, it’s a folly to take on a role like this without direction/input from the greater community as to how things are going, what you y want, and where the concerns/opportunities for improvement are.

So the purpose of this post is for me to share a bit about what I’ve been doing, ask specific questions about how people would like this role to function, request feedback about performance and provide an opportunity for people to have their own questions addressed… and whatever else may come from it. I’ll leave this thread up for a week or so (depending on how it goes) and then move it to the admin forum.

Feel free to be completely honest if you’re unhappy with the way things are going… it both provides the opportunity for learning/adaption but also, I’ve always been very mindful that my preference/approach to how things go may not actually be in line with what the forum wants and if its a case of things not being a good fit… I’m happy to step down or try something different.

So there are a lot of duplicate posts that get deleted. The software can be a bit slow at times which sometimes causes people to hit submit more than once which results in duplicates of the same post. Feels like the overall performance of the site has maybe improved since the last update a few months ago as that’s slowed down more recently.

In terms of edits… I don’t do too much of that (I don’t think). Around the time of our first final, I altered a few posts of people seeking insider info RE Membrey but beyond that… editing has mostly had to down tidying up the language or perhaps removing a more intense/harsher worded attacks. The latter situation hasn’t been too bad. The swearing has been more of a challenge. What I tend to do is that anything that circumvents the filter or is as properly close to cursing as possible e.g. it’s the word but misspelled… or is the word misspelled directed at someone specifically… it’s stuff like that tends to get edited. Basically anything that seems likely to be reported. I don’t know that that stuff is technically against the rules or is bothering anyone so it’s a bit of a personal preference/bugbear.

The next most common thing is deleting posts. This is where it gets a lot more contentious. At the beginning my thought was to try and keep threads on track by removing a back and forth that went on and on… and that was a complete miscalculation on my part as people obviously enjoy banter. As such I generally tend to let that all go unless starts heading into a more vicious/not good natured direction, the same conversation starts heading across multiple threads or a valid report is made. It’s been a hard balance to get right and I think there’s been a few missteps along the way but please please let me know if you think I’ve gone/am going over the top there. It’s challenging because a lot of forumites express frustration with discussions going off topic whilst others prefer that things go the way they go.

Beyond that… I’m generally focused on trying keep the meta commentary off the boards. And by that I mean things like: hey lock this thread, delete that post, forumite x should be banned, people need to get over this or all agree with that, this forumite is terrible etc - this type pf posting IMO generally just tends to result in conflict which quickly turns into insults, which then tends to go across multiple threads… so if it tends not to be football related and is more about the forum or forumites specifically… I remove it. Surprisingly I have received very little feedback good or bad but in fairness, I don’t know that I do it all that much (maybe 5 times total according to the log thread and a lot of it is from one forumite). The silence on it or the odd comment makes me think it might be an issue for some!?
All I can do in this regard is ask people to utilise the report function if they come across something bothersome and let me go about things that way… in my opinion, it kind of takes a personal edge off.

On the topic of reports… generally speaking, most reports are usually addressed that day, often within a few hours (I log on a lot). In most instances, I tend to respond with a PM to the reporter and the reportee explaining what’s happened and what the outcome is. Most people seem to be pretty receptive most of the time and in the spirit of transparency any edit/deletion etc is usually logged in the moderation log thread (though I don’t bother with the duplications). There is also a log of who reports and who is reported which sounds pretty interesting and possibly useful for trends but things seem fairly settled at the moment. The one exception to that is that there is a little spike at the moment surrounding more provocative and off-topic threads/posts and quite a few reports have been made about this… on my end, I’m just effectively removing the posts when I see them and I’ve reached out to the concerned parites.

Currently the report log is clear and there are no warnings, suspensions or bans in place. To be completely transparent… I haven’t suspended or banned anyone as yet and actually feel pretty passionate about not doing that. Apart from thinking that we all deserve a voice (as long as we play respectfully)… I think it would be hard for anyone to moderate and remain completely objective at the same time. It seems like it could be very easily to fall into the trap of say forumite x is involved in multiple conflicts and is annoying me personally + we’ve had runs so it will be easiest to suspend them. In that sense, my feeling is that anything in that territory should be directed to the administrator and they can review things themselves and make a more objective decision. N!ck doesn’t post that much so I doubt he has much in the way of baggage with anyone and is in a good spot to be detached and objective. I’ve only escalated one matter to him so far.

So I’d love to get some feedback on what people think about any of this… and also I’m quite keen for some direction from forumites as to what kind of situations best warrant intervening and what that looks like.

For example… if a particular forumite/s is involved in multiple ongoing conflicts or derails multiple threads posts but isn’t actually breaking the rules… or alternatively, if I see a post that looks to me like its aimed to provoke people. is that something to let go until reported or is swift intervention and logging better?

Am I overzealous and on a power trip with the back and forth or is the balance ok?

Are people happy for me to keep the meta commentary off the board or is it preferable for those discussions to happen in the effected thread - personally I find that to be derailing but that’s just my opinion?

Do people have other suggestions? Should we allow for broader AFL or other topics on the main board or should it just be St. Kilda talk?

Suggestions for how to improve traffic on the site?

Please fire away and have a happy new year everyone :)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: A moderation discussion - opinions sought

Well since you asked: I think you do a great job.
Not just "in difficult circumstances" with a disparate, passionate, opinionated mob to wrangle, just in simple absolute terms, no qualifications.
So there.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Mods are like umpires, best if you don't even notice they're there. I think that's where we are at, there's no bias that I can see and the intervention stops useless and personal arguments pretty well.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 7:22pm Mods are like umpires, best if you don't even notice they're there. I think that's where we are at, there's no bias that I can see and the intervention stops useless and personal arguments pretty well.
I've only been here for a short time, but I have to agree with Otiman. So far, so good. A friend, who was a long-time poster both on here and Big Footy, was surprised I wanted to sign on here.

He sought refuge on BF and vowed he'd never return to SS. Pity, he was an entertaining poster, but he told me the site was a shadow of its former self.

He tipped a gigantic bucket of shyte on BFUSA, skeptic's predecessor. He alleged he was a narcissistic bully-boy, who almost single-handedly destroyed the site with his "bull in a china shop" style of moderating.

I suspect my mate is biased, as he was banned by BFUSA, so I decided to go ahead and check it out for myself. As I said, so far, so good. There seems to be a good standard of posting, most being informative, funny, and respectful. My mate had told me many of the best posters on SS had shifted to BF, mainly due to BFUSA.

Of course, there have been a few personal rumbles on here, but that's to be expected. I hope I keep enjoying the posts and discussions here. Be gentle on me, skeptic. 😄😄😄

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

No complaints on my end NDC.
One minor clarification - I’m not an admin on the site. Just a moderator.

I wonder if your friend is who I’m thinking of… did he work at the club for a bit in the early 2000s per chance?

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 10:57pm No complaints on my end NDC.
One minor clarification - I’m not an admin on the site. Just a moderator.

I wonder if your friend is who I’m thinking of… did he work at the club for a bit in the early 2000s per chance?
Not to my knowledge, skeptic, and I think I'd know if he had. He was a prolific and notorious poster on here. He got into a few tangles with other posters and BFUSA in particular, and eventually got the boot.

NickyDal
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 3:39pm Hi everyone,

As it’s a bit of a slow time in the year as far as football talk goes, it’s a good opportunity now for a bit of a retrospective. I’ve been a mod for about 3-4 months and there’s a general developing style to how I’m going about this and it has been a really interesting learning curve. One thing that stands out however is that IMO, it’s a folly to take on a role like this without direction/input from the greater community as to how things are going, what you y want, and where the concerns/opportunities for improvement are.

So the purpose of this post is for me to share a bit about what I’ve been doing, ask specific questions about how people would like this role to function, request feedback about performance and provide an opportunity for people to have their own questions addressed… and whatever else may come from it. I’ll leave this thread up for a week or so (depending on how it goes) and then move it to the admin forum.

Feel free to be completely honest if you’re unhappy with the way things are going… it both provides the opportunity for learning/adaption but also, I’ve always been very mindful that my preference/approach to how things go may not actually be in line with what the forum wants and if its a case of things not being a good fit… I’m happy to step down or try something different.

So there are a lot of duplicate posts that get deleted. The software can be a bit slow at times which sometimes causes people to hit submit more than once which results in duplicates of the same post. Feels like the overall performance of the site has maybe improved since the last update a few months ago as that’s slowed down more recently.

In terms of edits… I don’t do too much of that (I don’t think). Around the time of our first final, I altered a few posts of people seeking insider info RE Membrey but beyond that… editing has mostly had to down tidying up the language or perhaps removing a more intense/harsher worded attacks. The latter situation hasn’t been too bad. The swearing has been more of a challenge. What I tend to do is that anything that circumvents the filter or is as properly close to cursing as possible e.g. it’s the word but misspelled… or is the word misspelled directed at someone specifically… it’s stuff like that tends to get edited. Basically anything that seems likely to be reported. I don’t know that that stuff is technically against the rules or is bothering anyone so it’s a bit of a personal preference/bugbear.

The next most common thing is deleting posts. This is where it gets a lot more contentious. At the beginning my thought was to try and keep threads on track by removing a back and forth that went on and on… and that was a complete miscalculation on my part as people obviously enjoy banter. As such I generally tend to let that all go unless starts heading into a more vicious/not good natured direction, the same conversation starts heading across multiple threads or a valid report is made. It’s been a hard balance to get right and I think there’s been a few missteps along the way but please please let me know if you think I’ve gone/am going over the top there. It’s challenging because a lot of forumites express frustration with discussions going off topic whilst others prefer that things go the way they go.

Beyond that… I’m generally focused on trying keep the meta commentary off the boards. And by that I mean things like: hey lock this thread, delete that post, forumite x should be banned, people need to get over this or all agree with that, this forumite is terrible etc - this type pf posting IMO generally just tends to result in conflict which quickly turns into insults, which then tends to go across multiple threads… so if it tends not to be football related and is more about the forum or forumites specifically… I remove it. Surprisingly I have received very little feedback good or bad but in fairness, I don’t know that I do it all that much (maybe 5 times total according to the log thread and a lot of it is from one forumite). The silence on it or the odd comment makes me think it might be an issue for some!?
All I can do in this regard is ask people to utilise the report function if they come across something bothersome and let me go about things that way… in my opinion, it kind of takes a personal edge off.

On the topic of reports… generally speaking, most reports are usually addressed that day, often within a few hours (I log on a lot). In most instances, I tend to respond with a PM to the reporter and the reportee explaining what’s happened and what the outcome is. Most people seem to be pretty receptive most of the time and in the spirit of transparency any edit/deletion etc is usually logged in the moderation log thread (though I don’t bother with the duplications). There is also a log of who reports and who is reported which sounds pretty interesting and possibly useful for trends but things seem fairly settled at the moment. The one exception to that is that there is a little spike at the moment surrounding more provocative and off-topic threads/posts and quite a few reports have been made about this… on my end, I’m just effectively removing the posts when I see them and I’ve reached out to the concerned parites.

Currently the report log is clear and there are no warnings, suspensions or bans in place. To be completely transparent… I haven’t suspended or banned anyone as yet and actually feel pretty passionate about not doing that. Apart from thinking that we all deserve a voice (as long as we play respectfully)… I think it would be hard for anyone to moderate and remain completely objective at the same time. It seems like it could be very easily to fall into the trap of say forumite x is involved in multiple conflicts and is annoying me personally + we’ve had runs so it will be easiest to suspend them. In that sense, my feeling is that anything in that territory should be directed to the administrator and they can review things themselves and make a more objective decision. N!ck doesn’t post that much so I doubt he has much in the way of baggage with anyone and is in a good spot to be detached and objective. I’ve only escalated one matter to him so far.

So I’d love to get some feedback on what people think about any of this… and also I’m quite keen for some direction from forumites as to what kind of situations best warrant intervening and what that looks like.

For example… if a particular forumite/s is involved in multiple ongoing conflicts or derails multiple threads posts but isn’t actually breaking the rules… or alternatively, if I see a post that looks to me like its aimed to provoke people. is that something to let go until reported or is swift intervention and logging better?

Am I overzealous and on a power trip with the back and forth or is the balance ok?

Are people happy for me to keep the meta commentary off the board or is it preferable for those discussions to happen in the effected thread - personally I find that to be derailing but that’s just my opinion?

Do people have other suggestions? Should we allow for broader AFL or other topics on the main board or should it just be St. Kilda talk?

Suggestions for how to improve traffic on the site?

Please fire away and have a happy new year everyone :)
The only thing I will say is don't be quick to jump to conclusions. There is an old Buddhist video that perfectly illustrates this but I can't find it. I'll do my best to describe it.....

There is this beautiful girl sitting on a park bench busily doing her abstract painting. A young man sees her and sits on the bench next to her and watches her for a few minutes. When he gets the courage he says hello but she ignores him. He says hello again but she just keeps painting and doesn't respond. The young man got very upset and angry, got up and abused her and stormed off. The beautiful young girl did not batter an eyelid and just continued to paint. Five minutes later her support worker rocked up and started talking to her via sign language!!!

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What I’ll say to that is that regardless of our differences and challenges, the same courtesies should be shown to everyone and expected of everyone.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

You've said far too much. Please just continue as you have. 😁

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

You're doing a good job Skeppers!

Are you familiar with the Prisoners Dilemma and Game Theory?

Could you draw from these principles of negotiation whilst learning your moderation craft?

Other than that your contribution is very much appreciated.

Happy New Years!

SaintWiki
Club Player

The board has improved, much less b*tching and easier to navigate since you became moderator. Your openness, current methods and interest in ongoing improvements tells me we are in good hands. I would say good riddance to a few that have bolted to BF and hope many of the others will drift back.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Happy as a pig in mud.

NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 10:52am Happy as a pig in mud.
Such a great response on so many levels...

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
George27
Club Player

Skeptic - as I said in a PM a few weeks ago , I reckon you are doing an excellent job. The true test however will come if the team loses its first 3 or 4 games and we start turning on the players, coach and each other !

emmdee
Club Player

I read this site each day and have done for many years.
Keep up the good work.
Especially appreciate the training reports.
Bring on 2024

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 12:06pm
saynta wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 10:52am Happy as a pig in mud.
Such a great response on so many levels...
And you wonder why I have an issue with you. :roll: :roll:

Sanctorum
Club Player

Having left Melbourne forever in 1958 and now living in Brisbane I feel really grateful to be part of this online supporters group to quench my insatiable appetite for all things St Kilda.

Thanks skeptic, you are doing a very good job moderating this forum (almost seamlessly) and I can't think of anything more or different that you can do.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you 100% that's why I posted that I was happy.

Despite what some random poster thinks.

So to make myself clear. I think you are doing a great job skeptic. Better than any of your predecessors and much better than I hoped.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I think you are doing a bang up job Skeptic.

I never knocked BFUSA as he was undertaking the site administration and moderating as best he could, sometimes under trying circumstances, however I feel your common sense approach has really enhanced the forum.

I hope that old posters may return and SS once again becomes the preeminent St Kilda forum on the internet.

Keep up the good work young man/ woman/ person :wink:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

When I arrived here, the migration to BF had already well and truly happened.

And the poor regard they had over there for the vibe here was pretty evident.

I have noticed things improving.

There are still one or two posters that concentrate on playing the man/woman rather than the issue. And that is quite distinct from having a 'carry-on' about a particular player etc.

I would look out for the bully types you make a lot of 'you should..' like statements to other posters. Other than that, I wish some of the great and funny posters of the past would come back. But I can understand.

Just hope everyone knows, do not be intimidated by bully types who tell 'you' what 'you' should do or seek to embarrass you with their strawman stuff. keep posting your opinions and let the discussions flow.

Well done Skeptic.

I appreciate your efforts.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Going well Skeptic

“Yeah….nah””
avid
Club Player

Skeptic, your thoughtful and thorough post makes me feel completely confident the job's in good hands.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm envious of your tolerance.

Doing a good job