We’re going to win the premiership in 2024!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NickyDal
Club Player

Re: We’re going to win the premiership in 2024!!!

Otiman wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 5:19pm
NickyDal wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 11:30pm Watch out for Gold Coast. Oh the irony if they end up getting Ming to join Bing instead of the other way around..
Yep and for Peter Wright and Caminiti to tie the Coleman for the win.

Peak gold coast.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 4:50pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 4:47pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 11:17am I’ll just throw in a quick asterisk…

Premiership to the coach will be sacked by year’s end. One of the two
That's better

I would have had money on NickyDal or ParkeySainter or tedTheodoreLogan being the author of such a dogmatic heading ...Or maybe someone hacked your log in. After all, aren't skeptics supposed to be skeptical
Admittedly, it is rather off brand for me. Still, history says I’ll have plenty of time to course correct
The Pou wants to hold up the cup for the Saints second premiership

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/13/ ... in-the-afl

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, we'd want to become more consistent against our opponents.
Consider these results over the past decade:
Adelaide: 3 wins - 14 defeats
Collingwood 3 wins - 13 defeats - 1 draw
Geelong 3 wins - 12 defeats - 1 draw
Port Adelaide 1 win 12 defeats
Sydney Swans 3 wins - 13 defeats
Eagles 4 wins -12 defeats

That's a winning percentage of 18% against 6 of our opponents. RTB would want to tidy that up a fair bit. Focusing on getting wins interstate consistently is the obvious place to start (and yes, I am including Geelong in that).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 16 Dec 2023 8:51am Well, we'd want to become more consistent against our opponents.
Consider these results over the past decade:
Adelaide: 3 wins - 14 defeats
Collingwood 3 wins - 13 defeats - 1 draw
Geelong 3 wins - 12 defeats - 1 draw
Port Adelaide 1 win 12 defeats
Sydney Swans 3 wins - 13 defeats
Eagles 4 wins -12 defeats

That's a winning percentage of 18% against 6 of our opponents. RTB would want to tidy that up a fair bit. Focusing on getting wins interstate consistently is the obvious place to start (and yes, I am including Geelong in that).
One doesn't have to go that far back, in fact one only has to review the 2023 season to know we are a fair way off it, for large portions of the season we were very average, had it not been for a very easy draw and results from other clubs going our way we wouldn't have got anywhere near the finals. We had injuries that didn't help however the team we fielded against against GWS was close to our best team and the result in that game is probably the best measure we have of how much more work there is to be done. My guess is we are about 2-3 years away from becoming a sustainable final 4 side, with one caveat, all of the young kids turn into the GF types many believe they will become. Time will tell.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 16 Dec 2023 9:48am
One doesn't have to go that far back, in fact one only has to review the 2023 season to know we are a fair way off it, for large portions of the season we were very average, had it not been for a very easy draw and results from other clubs going our way we wouldn't have got anywhere near the finals. We had injuries that didn't help however the team we fielded against against GWS was close to our best team and the result in that game is probably the best measure we have of how much more work there is to be done. My guess is we are about 2-3 years away from becoming a sustainable final 4 side, with one caveat, all of the young kids turn into the GF types many believe they will become. Time will tell.
In round 10 St Kilda accounted for GWS on their home turf by 2 goals.

When they met again in the qualifying final the team was clearly unsettled by the last minute withdrawal of Tim Membrey due to a personal crisis issue that landed him in hospital.

The team played without their customary dare and flair and went down by 4 goals in a really lacklustre performance.

I think it's fair to say that if Membrey had played the result would have been different, so I don't think you can argue that performance as a "best measure" of where St Kilda is at.

But I do agree that St Kilda's destiny in 2024 is very much dependent on it's young brigade, and I'm backing them to really turn it on and make top 4.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 16 Dec 2023 10:28am
Vortex wrote: Sat 16 Dec 2023 9:48am
In round 10 St Kilda accounted for GWS on their home turf by 2 goals.

When they met again in the qualifying final the team was clearly unsettled by the last minute withdrawal of Tim Membrey due to a personal crisis issue that landed him in hospital.

The team played without their customary dare and flair and went down by 4 goals in a really lacklustre performance.

I think it's fair to say that if Membrey had played the result would have been different, so I don't think you can argue that performance as a "best measure" of where St Kilda is at.

But I do agree that St Kilda's destiny in 2024 is very much dependent on it's young brigade, and I'm backing them to really turn it on and make top 4.
Granted the events leading into the final were not ideal, had it been a year where we were a serious contender then it would have been even more frustrating but as always it's only a game and I really hope Members can get back to his best, because when he is, he is one of my favorite players to watch, very underrated, was a much bigger loss to our season and the development of King and Co, and not just the final.

However taking a step back and looking at the quality of our performance (objectively) and on average throughout the 2023 with comparison to the games played in the final 2 weeks of the final series, most pundits would acknowledge we are a fair way off the pace.

Whilst it's exciting we are rebuilding, (shhh don't tell anyone), rebuilding means a very young side, very young sides rarely win a premiership, shout out to the Baby Bombers of 1993.

Some basic laws of science and physics dictate that a young player needs at least 50-75 games of experience before being physically ready to compete in the marathon of a season and then compete in 3 to 4 games of a finals series and be capable of delivering a sustained performance in the final 2 minutes of a GF.

All AFL programs are designed to focus on that final 2 minutes.

You need the hardened and conditioned bodies to be in that fight.

So whilst I'm excited about the likes of our most recent FRDPs in Pou and Wilson and what they might become, they physically aren't ready for that final 2 minute fight.

And that's just those two youngsters, our team now has a critical mass of new kids in the same category of needing at least 50-75 games before being ready for fight nigtht.

It's why I predict it being at least 2-3 years before we become a sustainable top four side and capable of entering that 2 minute fight.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

again, my caveat on my prediction is, that all of our young kids do in fact defy the statistics and all become GF type players at the end of that 2-3 year timeframe.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

This groups tight.

They'd have been waiting on Membrey and investing strength and believe in his inclusion and he was visually struggling all year, just from outside.

I think we can now focus on a substitute and cover that lost moment with Membrey,'s stature in the club renewed.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What are the odds our last win and our next win are v Geelong? And then we back it up by beating the premiers at their home with the pennant newly fluttering. Geelong at Geelong and Pies at MCG. What could go awry.
If we can do that and start 2 for 2 I'll stop thinking this thread's title is fanciful, a bit deluded and maybe inviting ill luck.
If wishes were fishes .........
Pou would be a consistent star rather than a great talent in waiting, Windhager would have locked down a mid or on ball position, we would have a solid CHF with three forwards kicking 40 goals for the year. Then again, maybe we have that........

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex you are spot on, you need a tidal wave of players coming into their peak at the same time.

We have spent the last 10 years trying to surf on a lake.

NickyDal
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sat 16 Dec 2023 6:02pm Vortex you are spot on, you need a tidal wave of players coming into their peak at the same time.

We have spent the last 10 years trying to surf on a lake.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Thought we were lucky last season to remain in the 8
On the other hand , perhaps we can improve given the emphasis given to playing Pou every week, that caminiti and Membrey (when he played) was a liability, that Gresham was spotty though picked every week etc. Jowta don the nose .. Hunter in the middle , Since in the middle, No game for Highmore etc

So maybe we can see the future ..
This time last year Windy was gonna be a rock star. He still might, but the hype is tempered .Max King is a star but not super star .
Now players like Pou have a lot of expectation placed on them so let’s see.

We won’t be so lucky with other results again, odds being what they are

But we still feel the vibe . Cos we know something is on!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Thought we were lucky last season to remain in the 8
On the other hand , perhaps we can improve given the emphasis given to playing Pou every week, that caminiti and Membrey (when he played) was a liability, that Gresham was spotty though picked every week etc. Jowta don the nose .. Hunter in the middle , Since in the middle, No game for Highmore etc

So maybe we can see the future ..
This time last year Windy was gonna be a rock star. He still might, but the hype is tempered .Max King is a star but not super star .
Now players like Pou have a lot of expectation placed on them so let’s see.

We won’t be so lucky with other results again, odds being what they are

But we still feel the vibe . Cos we know something is on!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!