Liam Stocker: Where’s he at?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NickyDal
Club Player

Re: Liam Stocker: Where’s he at?

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 5:58pm Stocker seems a bit one paced & not an overly quick decision maker, however, will be a decent replacement when required.
A lot of people use this term but I would venture to say that it makes no sense.
Please let me know what this actually is?

Transition football is another classic. :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It means he has no burst of speed. A fairly self evident phrase.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Transition in this context means retaining possession and moving the ball with the object of going forward at some stage, preferably to a target area less than 50m from our attacking goal and then executing a scoring play.
Key is retaining possession through accurate and well placed kicks and handballs to team mates. Easier said than done, obviously.
Traditionally in the 2011 - 2022 era Saints avoided transition in its pure form, preferring turnover football and high slow sterile ball movement and consistent fumbling. We recruited largely with this approach in mind and hoped we would get lucky.
This era tradition changed in 2023 and coincidently the team made finals. Who'd have thunk.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

One paced - lacks acceleration and power

BTW - Seb Ross is not one paced
Brad Crouch is one paced

There’s also quick guys that don’t use their legs
And not so quick guys who do use their legs

So it’s also about style of player

Transition
From defence to offence
Moving the ball from d50 to f50 or from turnover

Saintmike65
Club Player

Stocker will likely be behind Bonner & Webster in the pecking order, even worse if Windhager is played in defence again!
Even more dire for Paton..he’s behind all of them!!
Hopefully O’Connell and McClennan will push them, as both have good traits.
Hastie is a fair way off physically at this stage.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 12 Dec 2023 8:45am Stocker will likely be behind Bonner & Webster in the pecking order, even worse if Windhager is played in defence again!
Even more dire for Paton..he’s behind all of them!!
Hopefully O’Connell and McClennan will push them, as both have good traits.
Hastie is a fair way off physically at this stage.
Well, I assumed Webster and Stocker are different players, but I don't have a handle on Stocker. Webster might play until he is 40? but he is that lopey leftie. And I thought he had a second life after injuries other changes and Highmore not coming through. Wouldn't Stocker be more burst? And what does Bonner bring?

I'm still shocked to see Paton so far down the order. Still behind the 8 ball after the Roughead incident.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Paton had scalps of Greene and Cameron, plus I'm sure others I can't think of. He is our best lockdown small defender worth 2 goals a game.

We seem to have shifted to a team based defense with players who can be more attacking and damaging with the footy.

I'm not sure how Paton gets around that.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 12 Dec 2023 10:47am Paton had scalps of Greene and Cameron, plus I'm sure others I can't think of. He is our best lockdown small defender worth 2 goals a game.

We seem to have shifted to a team based defense with players who can be more attacking and damaging with the footy.

I'm not sure how Paton gets around that.
Reestablish his speed and confidence after the terrible leg break. Ben seems on the right track, and good luck to him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Providing we improve our overall leg speed and spread next year with our new recruits (I can see a couple getting games early) and we see further development of our second and third year players, Stocker is exactly the player you'd want in your side ... strong, tough, with good kicking skills.

You need players who can plough through with eyes on the ball and bowl over opposition players - who can keep their feet while doing so.

A handy player to have ... and we must be going okay if he's a fringe player - we must be certainties for the finals.