SEN listeners don’t rate us 📻

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: SEN listeners don’t rate us 📻

Vortex wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 8:33pm
samuraisaint wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 8:09pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 6:27pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 11:59am
Moods wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 5:32am Those with a good memory will remember after the 08 finals series that everyone predicted that we would slide down the ladder. We finished top 4 by smashing the bombers reserves team by over 100 points in the last game of the H&A season to win either 13 or 14 games. It was a very average group of teams outside of the top 2 that year.

Anyway, it was widely assumed that it was a fluke and that the saints had peaked under GT and RL wasn't taking the club anywhere special. My point? Not that we'll come out next year and play like we did in 09, but that predictions mean jack s***, especially at this time of year, and especially by pundits calling talkback shows or voting on polls. The majority support the bigger clubs I'm quietly confident that we can improve next year, but much of it depends on King and Marshall remaining healthy.
That recollection is 'spot on' Moods.

In Lyon's first year, 2007, the team had 11 wins, 1 draw and 10 losses to finish 9th.

2nd year 2008 13/9 and 4th, lost in PF

3rd year 2009 20/2 and 1st, lost in GF

4th year 2010 15//6 and 3rd, lost in GF

This year, his first one back at the helm, St Kilda finsihed 6th with 13/10, with a list that was substantially less talented and experienced than he inherited previously.

Pretty well all commentators who have looked at all of the clubs' draft performances have rated St Kilda as having done well and improved the list.

Lyon is a much more experienced coach this time around and is supported by a first class coacing panel, which to me gives good reasons to believe that St Kilda will advance further up the ladder in 2024.
It's ridiculous to make any type of comparison with 2008, the list profiles are completely different. That team Ross took over was chock full of stars and right in the sweet spot to have a tilt at a flag, this current list is a good few years away from being capable of contending.
Our bottom six now is better than our bottom six then. Our list is a lot more even. Wait until Owens, Windy, NWM, Matteas, and Caminiti are 21 years old in a year or so.
We have somewhat of a wait to know if we even have a top 12 that will be comparable with that team let alone claim we have a better bottom 6 than that team.
We had players in that team who couldn't kick. Anyway, different landscape now to back then. Gold Coast, GWS, Tasmania coming in soon, North getting priority picks, etc. Ironically some of these things will help us, because I don't think North's picks and Suns academies are going to help them really, because a lot of their own on field leadership has just walked out the door, and the Suns will continue to be a feeder club for the big teams down here, which will mean that there are going to be a lot of strange results in finals for the next decade.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 8:36pm

We had players in that team who couldn't kick.
They clearly could kick well enough to reach much further heights than this current list. Shouldn't we give it some time before we make claims that are fanciful at best.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The coaching team is excellent. We just need to get development right.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Imo
In 2 years time the Suns will be premiership favs

In 4 years time the kangas will

In and around that period the following teams have a shot

Carlton, Melbourne, Collingwood, Sydney, Brisbane, GWS, Dogs

In behind them
StK, Essendon, Hawthorn, Port, Adelaide, Freo

Sliding teams imo
Geelong, Richmond

WCE will be s*** for a while

NickyDal
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 8:33pm
samuraisaint wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 8:09pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 6:27pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 11:59am
Moods wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 5:32am Those with a good memory will remember after the 08 finals series that everyone predicted that we would slide down the ladder. We finished top 4 by smashing the bombers reserves team by over 100 points in the last game of the H&A season to win either 13 or 14 games. It was a very average group of teams outside of the top 2 that year.

Anyway, it was widely assumed that it was a fluke and that the saints had peaked under GT and RL wasn't taking the club anywhere special. My point? Not that we'll come out next year and play like we did in 09, but that predictions mean jack s***, especially at this time of year, and especially by pundits calling talkback shows or voting on polls. The majority support the bigger clubs I'm quietly confident that we can improve next year, but much of it depends on King and Marshall remaining healthy.
That recollection is 'spot on' Moods.

In Lyon's first year, 2007, the team had 11 wins, 1 draw and 10 losses to finish 9th.

2nd year 2008 13/9 and 4th, lost in PF

3rd year 2009 20/2 and 1st, lost in GF

4th year 2010 15//6 and 3rd, lost in GF

This year, his first one back at the helm, St Kilda finsihed 6th with 13/10, with a list that was substantially less talented and experienced than he inherited previously.

Pretty well all commentators who have looked at all of the clubs' draft performances have rated St Kilda as having done well and improved the list.

Lyon is a much more experienced coach this time around and is supported by a first class coacing panel, which to me gives good reasons to believe that St Kilda will advance further up the ladder in 2024.
It's ridiculous to make any type of comparison with 2008, the list profiles are completely different. That team Ross took over was chock full of stars and right in the sweet spot to have a tilt at a flag, this current list is a good few years away from being capable of contending.
Our bottom six now is better than our bottom six then. Our list is a lot more even. Wait until Owens, Windy, NWM, Matteas, and Caminiti are 21 years old in a year or so.

We have somewhat of a wait to know if we even have a top 12 that will be comparable with that team let alone claim we have a better bottom 6 than that team.
Sorry Vortex but your post makes no sense at all...

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 10:52pm
Sorry Vortex but your post makes no sense at all...
Sometimes it helps to re read them, if for no other reason other than chance.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 10:45pm Imo

In behind them

Sliding teams imo
Geelong, Richmond

I think tbe Pies will dip a little when this glut of 30+ players drop away, don't think it will be for too long though.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 9:30pm The coaching team is excellent. We just need to get development right.
And coming full circle, development takes time, well the kind that can prepare a list to contend for a flag which further emphasises my point that it is ridiculous to compare this list to the 2008 list.

That 2008 list was not only chock full of battle hardened super stars, it also had a bottom 6 that was well conditioned to compete deep into September.

Possibly going to take a good few years to build a list capable of competing in not only terms of depth of talent but also strength and conditioning and games of experience.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

In behind them

Sliding teams imo
Geelong, Richmond

So, perhaps we can fluke-a-flag a la the 2016 Bulldogs!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 12:54pm

In behind them

Sliding teams imo
Geelong, Richmond

So, perhaps we can fluke-a-flag a la the 2016 Bulldogs!
Gold Coast
I dread to think
-four first-rounders!

It is like bombing Germany in WW2
Loads of bombers get shot down (GC loose their draft picks as other teams pick them off),
But eventually, the flood becomes unstoppable, and the defence is overwhelmed, burnt out, a few spectacular exceptions here and there

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 1:43pm
Gold Coast
I dread to think
-four first-rounders!
[/quote]

I can’t hate GCS enough. They still haven’t made finals after 14 years (a far worse record than the Brisbane Bears). Yet the AFL still molly coddles them and insists that the Gold Coast has a future for the game. They should have been relocated to Tasmania, FFS. But of course, after all that filthy lucre and spoon-feeding it, the AFL’s persistence in keeping that dumpster fire of an entity alive will finally start to flourish. Just sick making! 🤮

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 1:59pm
Gold Coast
I dread to think
-four first-rounders!
I can’t hate GCS enough. They still haven’t made finals after 14 years (a far worse record than the Brisbane Bears). Yet the AFL still molly coddles them and insists that the Gold Coast has a future for the game. They should have been relocated to Tasmania, FFS. But of course, after all that filthy lucre and spoon-feeding it, the AFL’s persistence in keeping that dumpster fire of an entity alive will finally start to flourish. Just sick making! 🤮
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

I don't mind if they start with a middling and promising early season, as long as they fall in a heap soon after the bye, tumble down the ladder, and lose some of their precious trophy picks- preferably to the Saints. That, or they just start and finish on a wimper.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
NickyDal
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 1:59pm
Gold Coast
I dread to think
-four first-rounders!
[/quote]

I can't agree with you Saintermist. Yes, I hate the fact that the AFL keeps handing GCS more and more picks. That has to stop but footy in QLD will eventually become stronger than in SA and WA one day. Go and have a look at the grassroots participation in AFL. You will be shocked!!!

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: