Alan Morrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Alan Morrow

RIP Mocca . One of our greats. A heart as big as Pharlap
Last edited by tony74 on Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

scallopsroe
Club Player

Re: Allan Morrow

Alan Morrow a great ruckman and #8 in our premiership year. Wasn't he a truck manager for Lindsay Fox too?
No tougher player has put the boots on for the Saints.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

RIP Alan Morrow.

I remember watching him play for Dandenong v Waverley Panthers @ the Waverley football ground on Springvale Road back in the late 60's.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Very sad about this. What a great warrior for our club.

Saint2
Club Player

RIP Allan Morrow- a Saints great

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

RIP Alan another Saint in heaven!
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

George27
Club Player

Alan Morrow is a very important person in the history of the Saints. He was critical to our premiership win after Big Carl was rubbed out for the finals. He was a vital member of the team from the late 50s and into the 60s as we finally became a respected team and not easy beats . His influence on our club was immense. He was only 6 foot tall, but he made his teammates and supporters walk tall.

There is a great tribute to him on the Saints website - I urge you to read .

When he went to Dandenong in 1967, I started following them and in that first season he led them ( as captain- coach ) to a flag. The tough VFA ( it was very rugged in those days ) suited him just fine ! Subsequently other Saints - including Travis Bongo Payze and Jeff Buggsy Moran headed out to Shepley Reserve to play for the Nongers.

Of all the great players I have seen at the Saints over the decades , many had more talent than Alan Morrow, but none of them was tougher - or more important to the club -than he.

RIP

Apples
Club Player

George27 wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:11pm Alan Morrow is a very important person in the history of the Saints. He was critical to our premiership win after Big Carl was rubbed out for the finals. He was a vital member of the team from the late 50s and into the 60s as we finally became a respected team and not easy beats . His influence on our club was immense. He was only 6 foot tall, but he made his teammates and supporters walk tall.

When he went to Dandenong in 1967, I started following them and in that first season he led them ( as captain- coach ) to a flag. The tough VFA ( it was very rugged in those days ) suited him just fine ! Subsequently other Saints - including Travis Bongo Payze and Jeff Buggsy Moran headed out to Shepley Reserve to play for the Nongers.

Of all the great players I have seen at the Saints over the decades , many had more talent than Alan Morrow, but none of them was tougher - or more important to the club -than he.

RIP
A very good summation

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Apples wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:51pm
George27 wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:11pm Alan Morrow is a very important person in the history of the Saints. He was critical to our premiership win after Big Carl was rubbed out for the finals. He was a vital member of the team from the late 50s and into the 60s as we finally became a respected team and not easy beats . His influence on our club was immense. He was only 6 foot tall, but he made his teammates and supporters walk tall.

RIP
A very good summation
He was the bloke who took the huge mark at the end of the grannie, wasn't he?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 10:29pm
Apples wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 9:51pm

RIP
A very good summation
He was the bloke who took the huge mark at the end of the grannie, wasn't he?
If you are talking about the Saints winning the flag then...

St Kilda's Bob Murray, however, was able to take a mark at centre half-back, and the siren sounded after he kicked the ball towards the wing.
One of the timekeepers was an avid St Kilda fan and blew the final siren for more than ten seconds.

Great player Bob Murray :lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Alan Morrow

From saints.com.au

"It was appropriate in many ways that Alan Morrow took the final mark in the 1966 Grand Final just as the siren sounded.

He was the oldest and longest serving member of the team, playing in his last game for the Saints, and had been robbed of glory in the previous year’s Grand Final.

Alan Morrow passed way on July 13 at the age of 86.

Bob Murray had taken the mark in defence hat thwarted Collingwood’s last charge in that ’66 Grand Final and recounted later that when he saw Morrow and Darrel Baldock on the wing he aimed the kick in that direction because he knew Morrow could take the mark and if it happened to spill free Baldock would beat anyone at ground level. Like every St Kilda person Murray knew that Alan Morrow could be depended upon in every situation."

I loved the guy. Rest in peace mate. Tough as nails after working in a brick foundry.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

His career perfectly aligned with the arc of St Kilda's rise out of the darkness ...

Started in 1957 and the Saints finished 9th.
And it continued.
A couple of 6th placed finishes, but it was pretty much all upward from there.

And to finish with a flag.

Wow

Congrats.

RIP

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 14 Jul 2023 11:10am From saints.com.au

"It was appropriate in many ways that Alan Morrow took the final mark in the 1966 Grand Final just as the siren sounded.

He was the oldest and longest serving member of the team, playing in his last game for the Saints, and had been robbed of glory in the previous year’s Grand Final.

Alan Morrow passed way on July 13 at the age of 86.

Bob Murray had taken the mark in defence hat thwarted Collingwood’s last charge in that ’66 Grand Final and recounted later that when he saw Morrow and Darrel Baldock on the wing he aimed the kick in that direction because he knew Morrow could take the mark and if it happened to spill free Baldock would beat anyone at ground level. Like every St Kilda person Murray knew that Alan Morrow could be depended upon in every situation."

I loved the guy. Rest in peace mate. Tough as nails after working in a brick foundry.
I rewatched the last 5 minutes of the Grand Final and it's as you described, Murray took the mark in defence and kicked it to Morrow who marked it on the siren.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thanks for the GF video mate, I have the entire match on VHS and the game was just as frenzied from start to finish.

What stands out in that last five minutes is how our leading players stood up when it counted, and how your memory plays tricks over time.

Ian Cooper was BOG for mine, but what a shocker of a drop kick!

Baldock played injured through the finals and i don't recall him having much influence on the game. Yet, how good was his shuffling Tuddy off the ball out of the teeth of the Pies' goal just when they were setting up for a goal? That's what you love to see your captain do (and why Jack Steele is our captain).

Stewie - courageous ball winner several times yet his disposal remained as smooth as silk (will somebody sit Brad Crouch down to watch this game and make him realize what an honour it is to wear the #5 on your back).

Bob Murray - physicality was never his go, he wasn't built or wired that way. Beautiful timing and reading of the play was Bob's go. Callum Wilkie is, almost, his modern replica.

And Mocca. What a man, what a player. Under height, but not undersized and never, ever underestimated by the club or his opponents. Our first ever home game at Moorabbin, he slots the winning goal from the pocket to win the game. Fittingly, scores were level in time on and we were playing Collingwood. What an omen. He could dish out as much as he copped and he copped plenty. The Morrow / Ditterich ruck combination was feared; the Morrow / Mynott combination was more finessed but equally admired. And, in his older years, every time I saw Allan Morrow I couldn't help but admire this elderly man that still looked fit enough to engage in some rough and tumble.

He remains proof of the old adage that "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, that it's the size of the fight in the dog that matters". Every time I see some 200 cm-plus beanploe masquerading as a ruckman in any game I think of Allan Morrow and what a lesson he could dish out to them.

R.I.P, #8. One of the greatest ever Saints.

Saint supporter since '62
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gee had no idea as a young boy I wouldn’t see another flag to date

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Jul 2023 7:52pm Gee had no idea as a young boy I wouldn’t see another flag to date
Me either.

treefrog

It must have been about 1961 when as an 18 year old, I was standing in front of the Footscray grandstand at the Western Oval during a Bulldogs/Saints match. There was a boundary throw in right in front of the stand. Alan Moccha Morrow went up side by side with the Bulldogs hero/captain Ted Whitten and “accidentally” threw his very strong arm back across Whitten’s head, laying Ted out flat . You could have heard the boos in the city! I really thought that if some supporter jumps the fence, 100 will and Morrow will be dead meat. But what a warrior that man was for us. Vale 8.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

treefrog wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:59am It must have been about 1961 when as an 18 year old, I was standing in front of the Footscray grandstand at the Western Oval during a Bulldogs/Saints match. There was a boundary throw in right in front of the stand. Alan Moccha Morrow went up side by side with the Bulldogs hero/captain Ted Whitten and “accidentally” threw his very strong arm back across Whitten’s head, laying Ted out flat . You could have heard the boos in the city! I really thought that if some supporter jumps the fence, 100 will and Morrow will be dead meat. But what a warrior that man was for us. Vale 8.
In the 1964 Night Premiership match at South Melbourne he reconfigured Mervyn Hobbs' face with a gentle bump that sent the 'Dogs fans wild. I think Merv must have started work early and fell asleep because he went down to the rooms on a stretcher. :wink:

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!