How Well Did We Do?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Well Did We Do?

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 2:59pm Fox Sports reckons B+
:wink:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 8:51am With all the academy stuff, the first round went for 29 ( or so ) picks. If that is replicated next year, and if we finish mid table, our 3rd rounder is mid 50s. We thus have not given up much.. a bird in the hand…
I seriously wish that they used a decimal point convention for father/son and academy picks

Pick #1
Pick #2
Pick #2.1
Pick #2.2
Pick #3
Pick #4
Pick #4.1
etc

Pick 40 is still pick 40 no matter who slides into the early picks. WE NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO THEM - SO CANNOT BEMOAN THE FACT THAT THEY GO BEFORE OUR SELECTION. Simples

Pick #40 still gives you the selection of the 40th 'general population' player - even if they call it Pick #50

/end rant

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'll tell you all in 2 years.

But I can tell you how well we did in 2021's draft. A++

Pick 11: NWM. I rate him in the top 5 of the first round picks. Wouldn't trade him for anyone picked later in the draft.
Pick 33: Owens - a steal with our NGA bid. Hard to say where he'd have gone in a free draft but have him top 5 as well.
Pick 47: Windhager - Again with the NGA, but another steal. Plenty of promise and thought he was going to blitz 2023, but still has to find his best role in the team.
Pick 51: Adams - Not looking great at this stage. Will want to show his stuff in the preseason this year or face delisting at year end.

Even in hindsight, would not have taken another player with these picks.

And a sneak peak at 2022's draft (still TBA, but looking like a B-)
Pick 10: Philippou - Played all games including a final. Held his own and is better for it. Currently I'd rate him top 15 against some pretty stiff competition. Proof is in 2024.
Pick 31: Van Es - Didn't play a senior game but as a KPD and no injuries to our back 6 developed at Sandy. Has some talent but needs more development.
Pick 35: Hotton - As above, plus some injuries. Promising but not a prolific ball getter. Fits our speed mantra. Will be better for a full preseason.
Pick 44: Keeler - Still shows an amazing ceiling and is clearly working hard to get to an AFL level baseline. Will be better for a full preseason.

Looking at the draft board, I can't see too many players taken after #31 that I recognise other than the last pick selected (Noah Long) who did alright.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman, I think you might find Adams has already left the building

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

What I loved about this draft, was that we had a clear focus on reshaping the list with some players who have speed, and not afraid to take the game on.

Sandy could be great viewing next year. Keeler and Collard will likely be staples in the weekly highlight reel and some run and gun highlights from the other youngsters.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
groupie1
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 1:07pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 11:18am Fingers crossed but it feels like we’ve done alright the last 2 drafts.

Feel like we’ve been assembling a decent core quietly over a few years
We've done exceedingly well in the last 3 drafts. The NWM7 / Owens / Windy draft was the true start of the rebuild. We need one of Hotton or Van Es to kick on to A Grade status with Phillipou from last year.
Van Es and Keeler would satisfy me.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 1:07pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 7:31am

I feel we are getting ready for a big fish free agent next year, I wonder if it is B.King?

I must admit Gold Coast’s first selection did pique my interest and cause me to muse over the question WHY and if it is an insurance policy?
I wouldn't read too much into it. You take him, see how he goes, and if you find you have a gun that is superfluous to your needs, you have good trade value on your list.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 9:51pm What I loved about this draft, was that we had a clear focus on reshaping the list …

Sandy could be great viewing next year
I think if the Sandringham Zebras have some consistency with personnel that might help them win more games

I’m excited that there’ll be 10 or more Saints listed teenagers (along with Liam the Irish lad) playing together each week.

Sandy in 2024 will be a very different looking team to the one from the last two years.

The clean out with players retiring and the other senior players (list cloggers like Brown, Frawley, Hunter, McKernan, Hannas, Gears, Kent) means we are finally doing a proper rebuild that should have been done in 2018.

I was surprised that Tom Campbell was retained, but he’s proven to be a great team man and he’s durable so if Moose and RoMa are both injured we need the back up. Tom is also a great role model for the young blokes coming through

Hopefully these young kids from the last 2 drafts get some success and play VFL finals in 2025 and beyond. That should be the goal….AND…that will not only help Sandy but also help to form the nucleus of our next premiership side.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 7:39pm
George27 wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 8:51am With all the academy stuff, the first round went for 29 ( or so ) picks. If that is replicated next year, and if we finish mid table, our 3rd rounder is mid 50s. We thus have not given up much.. a bird in the hand…
I seriously wish that they used a decimal point convention for father/son and academy picks

Pick #1
Pick #2
Pick #2.1
Pick #2.2
Pick #3
Pick #4
Pick #4.1
etc

Pick 40 is still pick 40 no matter who slides into the early picks. WE NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO THEM - SO CANNOT BEMOAN THE FACT THAT THEY GO BEFORE OUR SELECTION. Simples

Pick #40 still gives you the selection of the 40th 'general population' player - even if they call it Pick #50

/end rant
Have thought the same as you for some time.

Our pick didn’t really slide as our access to the “available” players did not change.

The real issue IMO is NGA where your decimal point system would affect a club’s ability to match a bid. In your system a clubs couldn’t match up to pick 45 instead of 40 like it is now.

On NGA I think it should be top 20, not top 40 matched bid exclusion.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintWiki
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 3:29pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 2:59pm Fox Sports reckons B+
:wink:
Ye, we get an 'A' considering we were obviously going for speed, hole filling and did it with some flare IMHO.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What I want to know is, say 3 (or all) of them are really good players. Who do they take the place of in the team?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Saintmike65
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 7:34am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 7:39pm

Pick #1
Pick #2
Pick #2.1
Pick #2.2
Pick #3
Pick #4
Pick #4.1
etc

/end rant
Have thought the same as you for some time.

Our pick didn’t really slide as our access to the “available” players did not change.

The real issue IMO is NGA where your decimal point system would affect a club’s ability to match a bid. In your system a clubs couldn’t match up to pick 45 instead of 40 like it is now.

On NGA I think it should be top 20, not top 40 matched bid exclusion.
Personally I don’t think there should be any restrictions on matching NGA player bid but if there is one, 21 onwards, as was the case a couple of years ago, would be better than the current fiasco!

SaintWiki
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 6:24am What I want to know is, say 3 (or all) of them are really good players. Who do they take the place of in the team?
We just have to wait and see. They will, in due course, be competing for positions the coaching staff has developing them for. Surely, it's no more complicated than that.
Last edited by SaintWiki on Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:47am, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The way I would do it is that you have to match within 5 selections. If some one makes a bid at pick 8 you have to come up with a draft pick at 13 or less. No points accumulation would count. You would have to trade picks with another club to get it done. If you want quality you have to pay a fair price.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:47am The way I would do it is that you have to match within 5 selections. If some one makes a bid at pick 8 you have to come up with a draft pick at 13 or less. No points accumulation would count. You would have to trade picks with another club to get it done. If you want quality you have to pay a fair price.
Interesting, what about father/son selections?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:47am The way I would do it is that you have to match within 5 selections. If some one makes a bid at pick 8 you have to come up with a draft pick at 13 or less. No points accumulation would count. You would have to trade picks with another club to get it done. If you want quality you have to pay a fair price.
Sounds good in theory but the draft would take two weeks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 5:09pm
Interesting, what about father/son selections?
They'll need to be included in these fanciful solutions.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?