Broken Sandringham promise

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintfreddy
Club Player

Broken Sandringham promise

I remember a lot written about closer links to Sandringham especially around taking on a player from the team. Well clearly that is not going to happen given the Saints have a full list. It makes me wonder whether this will deflate players there now knowing that they have gone back on what was said.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Broken Sandringham promise

Hmmm...
AFL needs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VFL needs

King Max
Club Player

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1457123/ ... -selection
Headlining the new initiatives is a commitment by St Kilda to use one of its rookie list places to draft a Sandringham player, commencing next year.
I thought this was a bit vague at the time.

When they said commencing next year did that mean they would start drafting from 2024 or they would start drafting in 2023 so they could commence playing in 2024.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'm sure that would have referred to the 2024 draft - most likely the rookie draft.

Our 2024 list strategy would've been well and truly in place when that agreement was announced.

amusingname
Club Player

King Max wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 11:42am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1457123/ ... -selection
Headlining the new initiatives is a commitment by St Kilda to use one of its rookie list places to draft a Sandringham player, commencing next year.
I thought this was a bit vague at the time.

When they said commencing next year did that mean they would start drafting from 2024 or they would start drafting in 2023 so they could commence playing in 2024.
I presume next year would mean 2024 draft, as they wouldn't have the recruitment pathways in place for the 2023 draft. Be interesting to see if Sandy can get some good undrafted young players in this coming year with that commitment.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

It’s starts next year ya doofus!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It is a mystery to me. Wishful me thinks, maybe, our recruiting also had a bit of 'keep Sandy in mind?' I mean you can see many of those players in Sandy colours next year, perhaps for longer. But that sounds a little off too. A player like Riley Bonner. Maybe he is envisaged as a 60% sandy player. A replacement for Tom Highmore? Na..nup,nup..that has to be wrong.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Media statements released when possible interest and readership is at its lowest is referred as “taking out the trash”.

That was my initial thought when the club announced the Sandy “initiative”.

The agreement to be forced to take a Sandy player each year didn’t sound like sound recruiting policy on the face of it and sounded more like an appeasement of some type.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 2:10pm Media statements released when possible interest and readership is at its lowest is referred as “taking out the trash”.

That was my initial thought when the club announced the Sandy “initiative”.

The agreement to be forced to take a Sandy player each year didn’t sound like sound recruiting policy on the face of it and sounded more like an appeasement of some type.
Ya know, I wouldn’t be that cynical (although I have been and am capable of far worse)

I’m thinking it’s easy enough for them to be pretty ‘on point’ in their media releases. And more savvy than ever these days. I think that even though it might be a bit of fluff though, when they say “bayside priority’ etc. they don’t mean the opposite by any means..but I get you. A bit like Shell petroleum splashing ads about them promoting green energy and all that. I still think there would be those at the club who value Sandy and it’s shared ‘cultural space’ with St Kilda. Perhaps it is a fairly recent thing, say 1960s to the 1980s when the VFA started to fall apart as the National comp and AFL thing started.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintfreddy wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 11:35am I remember a lot written about closer links to Sandringham
Not enough it would seem.
saintfreddy wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 11:35am especially around taking on a player from the team.
Next year

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
outside66
Club Player

Blind Freddy could see that the Sandy 'promise' comes into effect next year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If it was this year who would we have picked?

And even if it is next year when you run through the Sandy list who would you pick? Can’t see anyone that looks like they have AFL potential. But we will be forced to select someone based on the quota agreement…crazy stuff for an elite performance organisation.

Selection should always be based on ability and not a quota system, look at the negative impact having to select staff based on demographic markers/quotas is having on performance in the government and corporate sector.

Merit based selection systems for mine are the way to go.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 1:54pm If it was this year who would we have picked?

And even if it is next year when you run through the Sandy list who would you pick? Can’t see anyone that looks like they have AFL potential. But we will be forced to select someone based on the quota agreement…crazy stuff for an elite performance organisation.

Selection should always be based on ability and not a quota system, look at the negative impact having to select staff based on demographic markers/quotas is having on performance in the government and corporate sector.

Would you like another lesson?

Marcus Ashcroft , 318 game legend, triple premiership star for Brisbane is the CEO at Sandy.
He was football manager at Gold Coast and Brisbane and was pivotal in the talent programs developing the talent in Queensland.
His was previous role, before joining Sandy, was a Management role at the AFL Academy as National Pathways Manager.
He might have a little insight a d knowledge of all the Initiatives available to improve our talent pool and talent development.
Id rookie Darcy Hipwell or Milne's boy. Both draft rejects signed by Sandy who have developed well.
Id fill the Sandy salary budget with 10 AFL experienced players and a huge contingency of undrafted development players on 2 year contracts Pick 1 for a rookie spot and turnover 4.
If you are a decent young player like, Geary, Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie or a 210cm bean stalk who just needs 2 years, you'll be talking to Sandy.
You'll live in a lovely area, probably get set up with some acco.odation and get a good job from some rich drunk slob in the Social Club.
This is what good clubs do, they connect the talent pathways and get access to better players.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 2:44pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 1:54pm If it was this year who would we have picked?

Marcus Ashcroft , 318 game legend, triple premiership star for Brisbane is the CEO at Sandy.
He was football manager at Gold Coast and Brisbane and was pivotal in the talent programs developing the talent in Queensland.
His was previous role, before joining Sandy, was a Management role at the AFL Academy as National Pathways Manager.
He might have a little insight a d knowledge of all the Initiatives available to improve our talent pool and talent development.
Id rookie Darcy Hipwell or Milne's boy. Both draft rejects signed by Sandy who have developed well.
Id fill the Sandy salary budget with 10 AFL experienced players and a huge contingency of undrafted development players on 2 year contracts Pick 1 for a rookie spot and turnover 4.
If you are a decent young player like, Geary, Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie or a 210cm bean stalk who just needs 2 years, you'll be talking to Sandy.
You'll live in a lovely area, probably get set up with some acco.odation and get a good job from some rich drunk slob in the Social Club.
This is what good clubs do, they connect the talent pathways and get access to better players.
Milne's boy has gone to Frankston so it won't be him when they put this policy into practice in November 2024.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Still think I prefer my recruiting to be merit based rather than quota based.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 3:26pm

Milne's boy has gone to Frankston so it won't be him when they put this policy into practice in November 2024.
He was in the group and I'd rookie him, though.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 3:31pm

Thats cool. But no one is forcing anything other than undiscovered talent to our VFL team. Your merit system already exists,its called the draft.

So, what was your post about. Orshould I wait till you skip to another subject you know very little about.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 3:39pm

Thats cool. But no one is forcing anything other than undiscovered talent to our VFL team. Your merit system already exists,its called the draft.

So, what was your post about. Orshould I wait till you skip to another subject you know very little about.
You seem to have drifted heavily into the bitchy and petty end of the civil discourse pool, I admit it already, you can pee further than me.

Meanwhile back on the footy topic, my understanding is the agreement is we “must” take one Sandy player per season, if my understanding is correct then that is a quota selection system as best I can tell, and not a merit based system, am I understanding the agreement correctly?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 3:51pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 3:39pm

You seem to have drifted heavily into the bitchy and petty end of the civil discourse pool, I admit it already, you can pee further than me.

Meanwhile back on the footy topic, my understanding is the agreement is we “must” take one Sandy player per season, if my understanding is correct then that is a quota selection system as best I can tell, and not a merit based system, am I understanding the agreement correctly?
You wanted to know stuff in your post.
I told you.
I understand that being answered when you don't think there is a better answer is difficult for you and your limited view, to digest. As a pissing competition champion, I see a lot off this.

But my dear friend. Its you doing the bitching.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 3:57pm
I told you.
I understand that being answered when you don't think there is a better answer is difficult for you and your limited view, to digest. As a pissing competition champion, I see a lot off this.

Yeah I still want to know grasshopper, is your understanding of our agreement with Sandy one based on a quota system, meaning are we required to take a minimum of one player each year irrespective of our recruiters believing said player being a suitable needs based player.

Or can we pass over and select from another option based on merit?

Genuinely want to know your understanding of this agreement?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 4:22pm
I told you.

Yeah I still want to know grasshopper, is your understanding of our agreement with Sandy one based on a quota system, meaning are we required to take a minimum of one player each year irrespective of our recruiters believing said player being a suitable needs based player.

I believe we invest in the selection of players fr9m a list of talent identified by our recruiters of players who missed the draft. I'd take midfielders.
We put up a rookie spot.
Does that sound too complicated.
It will save money following them at South Adelaide.
Come on.
Do I have draw some pictures.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 4:54pm
I told you.

I believe we invest in the selection of players fr9m a list of talent identified by our recruiters of players who missed the draft. I'd take midfielders.
We put up a rookie spot.
Come on.
is that your way of admitting you either don't know or you acknowledge it's a quota based system?? maybe draw your self a ladder logic diagram to work through those two options, be sure to include the possibility it's both options.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 6:18pm
I told you.

We put up a rookie spot.
Come on.
is that your way of admitting you either don't know or you acknowledge it's a quota based system?? maybe draw your self a ladder logic diagram to work through those two options, be sure to include the possibility it's both options.
Are you asking if drafts are quota systems repeatedly, is that what you are doing?

Lol

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 6:55pm
I told you.

We put up a rookie spot.
Come on.
Are you asking if drafts are quota systems repeatedly, is that what you are doing?

Lol
no, I'm asking if our agreement with Sandy is a quota system...and who finishes off a sentence with "lol", I've seen you from a distance and you are a big lump of a goof so maybe a "lol" at the end of a sentence is appropriate in your case.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 7:25pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 6:55pm
I told you.

We put up a rookie spot.
Come on.

Lol
no, I'm asking if our agreement with Sandy is a quota system...and who finishes off a sentence with "lol", I've seen you from a distance and you are a big lump of a goof so maybe a "lol" at the end of a sentence is appropriate in your case.
Was that ever the point though. What you asked?
Can’t see anyone that looks like they have AFL potential. But we will be forced to select someone based on the quota agreement…crazy stuff for an elite performance organisation.

You can't see anyone that hasn't been picked yet.

I understand that you may have dismissed the idea at the current Sandy list, that's called thrown off at the first hurdle and standing there with your hands on your hips crying, the horse won't jump.

What you fail to acknowledge is, we are offering a paid gig, to hang out with heaps of pro footballers and get better.

Who do you think.might like that offer?

That's VFL destination club type stuff to young men, who have been dreaming of the opportunity their whole life and just missed the draft. Speculation is a massive trend.
Come work hard for 12 months, we pay money and can get you a better job that works for the football program. We'll get you a room at Plugger66's and make sure your eating right and living clean.
Its a well explored recruiting strategy, its called the states leagues, you know that, don't you,?

The quota's are filled on merit if there is merit where you are looking.

Clearly, lately, the club has this draft thing under control.

You are on a roll too.