Campbell extended for one year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

King Max
Club Player

Campbell extended for one year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Campbell extended for one year

The decision to give Campbell another year highlights how vulnerable we are in the ruck. Also suggests they aren’t too sure about Heath getting past next year

We are stuffed if RoMa isn’t available.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 1:17pm The decision to give Campbell another year highlights how vulnerable we are in the ruck. Also suggests they aren’t too sure about Heath getting past next year

Most clubs have three rucks on their list. Number one ruck a young developing ruck and a mature back up. Campbell is obviously happy playing that role.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 1:41pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 1:17pm The decision to give Campbell another year highlights how vulnerable we are in the ruck. Also suggests they aren’t too sure about Heath getting past next year

Most clubs have three rucks on their list. Number one ruck a young developing ruck and a mature back up. Campbell is obviously happy playing that role.
Yeah not sure about Campbell being capable of AFL standard if he's only going to play in a break glass situation. Would be better than playing with a cardboard cutout but even then it's clearly a serious list vulnerability. Might build into some AFL form if say RoMa was to go down very early in the season and be placed on the LTI, would give Campbell a chance to get into the pace at the level after a run of games in that context. Clearly Ross and SoS didn't have any other options at trade time.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I cant see how you can make those assumptions regarding Max Heath? I think its the contrary, with the club realising Heath needs another years development before he can step up. Use Campbell as the gap filler until Heath is ready.

There arent too many ruckman who can come in as a 19yo and step up immediately, most take a few years to get going.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Sensible decision to extend his contract. If he has to play, he won't be pushed aside in ruck contests, so it will at least give our mids some consistency of method that they can then work around.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Worth his playing fee as a ruck coach outside of the soft cap.

Good decision. Will be highly regarded in the competition for future coaching roles.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 6:39pm

I cant see how you can make those assumptions regarding Max Heath? I think its the contrary, with the club realising Heath needs another years development before he can step up. Use Campbell as the gap filler until Heath is ready.

There arent too many ruckman who can come in as a 19yo and step up immediately, most take a few years to get going.
For mine Heath has make his debut early next year and show he has got something worth keeping him on the list beyond 2024. Doesn't have to set the world on fire but at least show he might be capable at the level, has to debut next year or I'd cut him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 6:48pm
he won't be pushed aside in ruck contests
We have Cordy for those break glass situations, anyway it's not as though Campbell was given an extension by choice, the club had no option as there weren't any options on the market.

Club Player

Same as Richmond picking up Naismith. All vulnerable.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think it’s that at all.

My impression is that the club really values Campbell. There’s seems to be no delusion about the fact that he’s purely a depth player that would come in in an emergency to be competitive in the middle…
Tom for his part has embraced that and puts his best foot forward at Sandy working really hard to both put his best foot forward but also sacrifice his game for the development of the other prospects.

I think the forward thinking here is actually about the number of real prospects on the list.

23 player squad, 3 emergencies, 4-5 players that are realistic depth players. That’s 30-32 players on the list that will get games.

The rest are seemingly all young preselects that never get close to it.

Seems to me that the logical thing to do is that rather than have 8-9 players that are really far off it and will never make it…
Why not have 4-5 players like Campbell that beef up Sandy and lead the way for the real prospects to develop… that could also come in and be good enough just to do a job.

That’s where things should head IMO

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The break glass thing didn't work last season when Marshall missed a game and they chose not to play Campbell in the seniors.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
StPeter
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 9:24pm The break glass thing didn't work last season when Marshall missed a game and they chose not to play Campbell in the seniors.
Incorrect! He played all 24 games last season
Last edited by StPeter on Tue 31 Oct 2023 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully it doesn’t stifle Heath at Sandy

He needs to ruck

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 7:15pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 6:39pm

For mine Heath has make his debut early next year and show he has got something worth keeping him on the list beyond 2024. Doesn't have to set the world on fire but at least show he might be capable at the level, has to debut next year or I'd cut him.
Lucky you are not running the clubs development program the kids would have no hope!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Glad to hear. He's durable, cheap, and a perfectly competent backup option. Much better than McKernan/Hunter/Rowe who we've had recently filling the same depth role.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Best clubman is an award that would be viewed very highly internally.

Obviously Tom is selfless and assisting the development of Heath whilst providing solid back up if needed.

There are different ways to stay on a list and purely on football ability, Tom probably wouldn’t retain a place.

I really admire a guy like Tom who gives it everything and is a club man first.

On our young rucks I don’t see Heath as the answer. I like his combative attitude, decent skills and hands, but lacks the leap, athleticism and tank to be AFL competent in my opinion.
I hope I’m wrong.

Keeler has all the athletic traits, similar to a young Adam Goodes where ability and athleticism were never the question, competitiveness was the query.

Like Goodes did, I think if Keeler can master this requirement and get super fit he could be an absolute draft steal, but it’s a long way to go and another couple of years development IMO.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1459107/ ... ax%20Heath.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 9:46pm
Jacks Back wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 9:24pm The break glass thing didn't work last season when Marshall missed a game and they chose not to play Campbell in the seniors.
Incorrect! He played all 24 games last season
Maybe I was thinking that Caminiti was out, or something, and they didn't play him as second ruck, I don't know...lol

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Definitely a prudent move to give another year to Tom Campbell, he's dedicated to the club and as someone else pointed out, he is a cheap ruck coach.

All will be revealed whether or not Max Heath is AFL standard round about February next year when the squad is full steam into pre-season training and match simulations. I recall he was likened to Carl Ditterich as a junior with an aggressive streak that, if he brings that to his game, will be exactly what the team needs, controlled of course!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 01 Nov 2023 1:21pm Definitely a prudent move to give another year to Tom Campbell, he's dedicated to the club and as someone else pointed out, he is a cheap ruck coach.

All will be revealed whether or not Max Heath is AFL standard round about February next year when the squad is full steam into pre-season training and match simulations. I recall he was likened to Carl Ditterich as a junior with an aggressive streak that, if he brings that to his game, will be exactly what the team needs, controlled of course!
Wow Sanctorum, that’s a new one for me.
Heath and Big Carl.

Next Paddy Dow will be the next Robert Harvey.

I agree on retention of Campbell, assume he is base wage, insurance and a ruck coach mentor for the young talls.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 01 Nov 2023 1:21pm Definitely a prudent move to give another year to Tom Campbell, he's dedicated to the club and as someone else pointed out, he is a cheap ruck coach.

I've always thought Heath reminds me of Max Gawn.

Sanctorum
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 01 Nov 2023 2:17pm

Wow Sanctorum, that’s a new one for me.
Heath and Big Carl.

Next Paddy Dow will be the next Robert Harvey.

I agree on retention of Campbell, assume he is base wage, insurance and a ruck coach mentor for the young talls.
It's hard to say but it wouldn't surprise me if Paddy Dow becomes a regular member of St Kilda's midfield.

He'll be mustard keen to prove Carlton's list manager was wrong to pass him over.

Either way, under Ross Lyon, Lenny Hayes, Robert Harvey, he's bound to become a much better player.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think there has never been any doubt that Heath can ruck.
Mobility and a forward line string to his bow was the issue. The signs are looking good.
It could well be time for King to move out of the goal square and up the field a bit.
Let's hope.
Id be keeping a close eye on Keeler this year too.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 02 Nov 2023 11:35am
It's hard to say but it wouldn't surprise me if Paddy Dow becomes a regular member of St Kilda's midfield.

Come on, be honest, who does he remind you of?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I expect Carl Jr to get a few games next year

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!