Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Billings

The only mistake here is that we extended his contract when we did.

Billings should've been traded at the end of 2018 when he had good currency.

Moving him on for next to nothing looks bad on paper, but it's simply a matter of correcting a previous mistake. Just like sacking Ratten.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 6:05am This thread is much ado about nothing. He desperately wanted to go. Now he’s gone. The end.
I know right, it’s like some supporters don’t understand one of the most fundamental components of “TEAM “ sport.

You can give everyone an ore in the boat but if one member of the team doesn’t want to paddle you end up going around in circles.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Where did the idea that he doesn't want to be at the club come from?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 8:44am Where did the idea that he doesn't want to be at the club come from?
Media
Tom Morris for example said it several times

I agree it looks bad on paper as Beno says, but he just wasn’t happening. And after back surgery I wonder what .

Now he will have pride and money - his family’s future in the line here, so he may do well or better there, but he wouldn’t have done much with us..

Cynically I thought it would be better to keep him at Sandy

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
takeaway
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 8:36am
damienc wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 6:05am This thread is much ado about nothing. He desperately wanted to go. Now he’s gone. The end.
I know right, it’s like some supporters don’t understand one of the most fundamental components of “TEAM “ sport.

You can give everyone an ore in the boat but if one member of the team doesn’t want to paddle you end up going around in circles.
They are professionals. Tom Papley's gone ok since his desperate bid to get to Carlton

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

OAR not ore!

takeaway
Club Player

Saints were hamstrung in getting a decent deal for Billings as he wanted out, and has hardly played for the last 2 years. Terrible deal though.

He was certainly not encouraged to stay by his non selection late in the season, and no doubt the exit interview.

I think the Dees will suit him, playing on the MCG, with more class around him, and his skills will be utilised better. Interesting that of the 4 clubs that were interested, GWS, Freo, Pies & Dees, 3 are in the flag window, and Freo would still be in the running for finals. Bit of class to add to their mix. JB did not want to go interstate.

Obviously RTB doesn’t see him fitting into his plans. For me, it is a blunder, he is apparently injury free now, work him in the pre season, see how he goes. If he stays fit, in my view easily best 22, at worst very good depth. If it doesn’t work, Saints next year would have got the same for him as they just got - nothing. They are still paying for him!

Gresh, Coffield & Billings have all got the capacity to make Saints fans a bit uncomfortable in the next few years. But I guess RTB and co have their plans, and players have to go. I hope their plans are not too inflexible, erring a bit too much in the way of fixed structure and “role players”.

I’m on the RTB bandwagon, but a few seeds of doubt are creeping in.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 8:44am Where did the idea that he doesn't want to be at the club come from?
Read Dave Misson comments
Billing’s made it quite clear he wanted to move for opportunities/fresh start
The clubs actually done the right thing by a 150 gop player
They had to pay Melb to take him
IF we end up saving sone of his salary over next 2 years and free a list spot for someone that wants to be there it’s a win
Better than paying Jack full $1.2 m next 2 years to be injured or sitting at Sandy
Bye Jack

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:36am Saints were hamstrung in getting a decent deal for Billings as he wanted out, and has hardly played for the last 2 years. Terrible deal though.

He was certainly not encouraged to stay by his non selection late in the season, and no doubt the exit interview.

I think the Dees will suit him, playing on the MCG, with more class around him, and his skills will be utilised better. Interesting that of the 4 clubs that were interested, GWS, Freo, Pies & Dees, 3 are in the flag window, and Freo would still be in the running for finals. Bit of class to add to their mix. JB did not want to go interstate.

Obviously RTB doesn’t see him fitting into his plans. For me, it is a blunder, he is apparently injury free now, work him in the pre season, see how he goes. If he stays fit, in my view easily best 22, at worst very good depth. If it doesn’t work, Saints next year would have got the same for him as they just got - nothing. They are still paying for him!

Gresh, Coffield & Billings have all got the capacity to make Saints fans a bit uncomfortable in the next few years. But I guess RTB and co have their plans, and players have to go. I hope their plans are not too inflexible, erring a bit too much in the way of fixed structure and “role players”.

He hasn’t cemented a spot best 22 in 10 years
Turns 29 next year
Now he’s gonna be a great player?
We need to move on from trout/Richo era
It’s a good move
The future is Owens Pou NAS Windy etc
Not cofffield Gresham or Billibgs…that era is a bust sadly

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:32am

They are professionals. Tom Papley's gone ok since his desperate bid to get to Carlton
Totally but clearly Papley’s reasoning and mindset was such he could recommit to Sydney and clearly his reasoning to get to Carlton was not because he wanted to get away from Sydney…aka it was about getting some extra cabbage and clearly Sydney wanted him and thought he was worth the extra caabage.

Totally different for Billing’s, he just wanted out and the club were more than happy to get him off the books. No amount of money could have been the difference.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:45am
Read Dave Misson comments
Billing’s made it quite clear he wanted to move for opportunities/fresh start
The clubs actually done the right thing by a 150 gop player
They had to pay Melb to take him
IF we end up saving sone of his salary over next 2 years and free a list spot for someone that wants to be there it’s a win
Better than paying Jack full $1.2 m next 2 years to be injured or sitting at Sandy
Bye Jack
Yeah I've seen all those comments, but still nothing indicating he didn't want to be at the club.

Sounds more like the club made it clear they didn't value him (incorrectly IMO) and he was put in a situation where he had no choice but to leave.

Sad if you ask me, and we have a track record of incorrectly putting players in this situation.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:48am
takeaway wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:36am Saints were hamstrung in getting a decent deal for Billings as he wanted out, and has hardly played for the last 2 years. Terrible deal though.

He hasn’t cemented a spot best 22 in 10 years
Turns 29 next year
Now he’s gonna be a great player?
We need to move on from trout/Richo era
It’s a good move
The future is Owens Pou NAS Windy etc
Not cofffield Gresham or Billibgs…that era is a bust sadly
Played in most of the games from start up to 2022, so spot cemented until injured, no?
Got nothing for him, plus partly paying his salary, so better to keep him at least as depth rather than using additional assets to replace his list spot I would think. What chance we immediately get a better player? At least Gresh provided a good pick to replace him on the list.
Agree there are doubts whether he will get his body right again, but if he does, should go ok at the Dees.
I guess I rate him, you don't.

Laurie
Club Player

Good to see trade was done now we can all move on.
Billings wanted out as he was not in our best 22 and at 28 will not be in the future.
How many games will he get at Melbourne or end up being a good Scorpions player like he was at Sandringham.
He is obviously not as good at AFL level shown by lack of interest from other clubs.
BOOM BOOM

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Now Billings has wound up at a club with a drug problem lol

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I see Misson quoted above, is that the same guy that gave Collingwood premiership player Luke Ball to the filth because he couldn’t play more than 6 minutes?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 12:26pm Now Billings has wound up at a club with a drug problem lol
Something. About glass houses and stones….

lefty
Club Player

terrible terrible trade. 0/10, it was going OK until the Billings trade.

Unlike Essendon who told Shiel no, we just cave and keep other sub-par players on the list.

We clearly have an i1ssue with player development which has been happening for a very long time.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So this place is never happy with what St Kilda does. If St Kilda goes left then everyone says it should go right and if they go right then everyone says it should have gone left. Mmmm. Seems like it can never get anything right or left!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
repta
Club Player

Thought that we could have done better on that deal.
Pick swap would have been ideal. Especially as we will be paying a good portion of his salary.

Could have been worse .........Ratugolea ....... (first round to last pick in the draft)

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Or maybe not. If it's a boat, perhaps substitute your ore for an oar and we'll all get there that bit quicker.

Even PHd's have bad days, I know.

Bye Jack, I think you'll do well at Melbourne. Not DP#3 well but I think you will be very valuable for their outlay.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Let's go back to the Saints last finals win in October 2020.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... ?mid=10320

Here's the summaries below from 2 different journos.

No mentions anywhere of Jack. Billings is easily replaced. He won't be missed

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 561ov.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-a ... e66d44a0a8

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And I wasn't going to say...but FU*K it!!

I will say it. Softc##k

Mod Edit - language

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely thrilled to be paying the salary of a player at a rival club - a better list!

Yep that makes sense… good list management

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I won’t know the difference

Laurie
Club Player

@B.M
Will be a good player for the Scorpions like he was at Sandringham
BOOM BOOM