ST KILDA GET HENRY ON THE CHEAP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

From HS

AFL Trade Period: Lachie Schultz to Collingwood, Liam Henry to St Kilda
Collingwood look to be done with the trade period after nabbing a talented small forward while the Dockers were left disappointed to lose a second player on Monday. FULL WRAP HERE

Jon Ralph
and
Chris Cavanagh

St Kilda has maintained its top picks in this year’s draft and next by essentially only handing over a second-round choice to Fremantle for Liam Henry, with the Dockers “disappointed” to lose the winger.

The dasher requested a trade to the Saints in September and initial talks indicated the Dockers were after one of St Kilda’s early picks in the 2023 draft – currently sitting at 13 and 21 – or a future first-round choice for Henry, who has been locked in on a four-year deal.

But the Saints managed to hold onto their top draft capital, only handing over the future second and swapping future fourth-round picks to get the deal done.

St Kilda had been adamant it wanted to keep its top picks for November’s draft, as list boss Stephen Silvagni targets top talent after an elimination final defeat this year.

Henry enjoyed a career year in 2023, averaging 20.4 disposals playing largely on the wing or at half-forward and should add some hard-running capability to compliment Brad Hill at the Saints.

After being part of the club through its academy since he was a teen, Fremantle list boss Davis Walls said Henry, 22, had only just started showing his potential before leaving.

“It’s disappointing to see Liam depart after showing his potential in 2023,” Walls said.

Henry said he “loved my time at the Dockers, they made my childhood dreams come true which I’m very grateful for but I felt like the time was right to make a change”.

The Dockers landed a future first-round choice earlier on Monday in the deal that sent Lachie Schultz to Collingwood.

Already holding a Port Adelaide future first and second rounder, alongside its own choice, Fremantle now owns three first round picks and three second rounders in next year’s draft.

Walls described the hefty draft hand as “very strong”.

Fremantle fans often bemoaned a chink in Henry’s game with his kicking and his kicking efficiency slipped to 61.2 per cent, rated average in the competition, but Silvagni praised Henry’s skills.

“Liam is an exciting young player with plenty of upside to excited Saints fans,” Silvagni said.

“His ability to find space is complemented by his elite skills and composure with ball in hand.”

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!