Dow in Coffield out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Dow in Coffield out

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 1:38am I think Dow competes with Jones for a spot if both are fit. Both know how to win the footy and can burst from the stoppage but have scrappy disposal and consistency issues. I'm very ambivalent about this trade. Would've liked to see Coffield push Webster out of the 22 next season but Dow pushing Jones out wouldn't be a bad thing either.
I think the combination of the two could be a real barometer for us....if only we could think of a catchy name for that.....

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 4:38am
mad saint guy wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 1:38am I think Dow competes with Jones for a spot if both are fit. Both know how to win the footy and can burst from the stoppage but have scrappy disposal and consistency issues. I'm very ambivalent about this trade. Would've liked to see Coffield push Webster out of the 22 next season but Dow pushing Jones out wouldn't be a bad thing either.
I think the combination of the two could be a real barometer for us....if only we could think of a catchy name for that.....
I didn't want to be the first one to mention it

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure Jones is in the best 22 to be pushed out

spert
Saintsational Legend

The big question over Jones is how his body holds up through the season, and it's handy to have Dow if Jones gets injured again. The Dow Jones index... :roll:

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Coffield for Dow (and however the shuffle turns out) is probably a fair trade for us, however I believe Coffield will end up a far better player by the end of their careers.

Coffield has been hampered by injury, Dow because he’s an ordinary AFL player with mout any elite traits.

Good luck to Coffield, I hope he can sort his injuries out, he is talented, but with Sinclair, NWM, Clark we probably have a position he’d play fairly well covered.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don’t see anything in Coffield that stands out. He basically played one good quarter in 5 years.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints58
Club Player

ace wrote: Tue 17 Oct 2023 8:05pm All that matters
St Kilda got Dow, lost Coffield
Got pick 40, (429 points) + future 3rd round tied to Carlton), lost pick 35 + pick 56, 522 + 194 = 716 points = pick 20)
St Kilda lost 287 point for Carlton future 3rd so less than 100 points
Basically St Kilda traded Dow for Coffield

Could we still try and bundle our pick 40 plus one of our future 3 rounder form a late first or early second rounder like a pick 19-24 that would really improve our draft hand this year.
There is a guy called Archer Reid from Vic Country touted to go around pick 22 he is a KPP 203cm 94kg would be good pick up as we have got 2 mids we need another Big.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 8:47am
ace wrote: Tue 17 Oct 2023 8:05pm All that matters
St Kilda got Dow, lost Coffield
Got pick 40, (429 points) + future 3rd round tied to Carlton), lost pick 35 + pick 56, 522 + 194 = 716 points = pick 20)
St Kilda lost 287 point for Carlton future 3rd so less than 100 points
Basically St Kilda traded Dow for Coffield

Could we still try and bundle our pick 40 plus one of our future 3 rounder form a late first or early second rounder like a pick 19-24 that would really improve our draft hand this year.
There is a guy called Archer Reid from Vic Country touted to go around pick 22 he is a KPP 203cm 94kg would be good pick up as we have got 2 mids we need another Big.
You seems pretty keen on this kid!

Seen him play or someone you know? What can you share?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 8:35am I don’t see anything in Coffield that stands out. He basically played one good quarter in 5 years.
That's one better 1/4 than Dow has played :wink:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget that Irish rookie we signed, Liam O'Connell.

That's two Liams and a Paddy.

I'm sensing a pattern.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 17 Oct 2023 5:43pm Paddy Dow's impressive 16 possession average with only 50% game time should nudge closer to 30 possessions next year, with decent game time.

Will add much needed leg-speed too ... good get!!
Dow is slowly becoming a cross between Robert Harvey & Chris Judd.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how Coffield goes at Dullbogs. We will really see what potential he has. I'm suspecting not much at all. He may get to be a GOP. I think he is too slow.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coffield is not slow - has real power

He is soft though

However
Will be good at the dogs

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You call Coff 'soft' and yet you rate Billings. Both have been criticised because of their actions on field. Both have been soft imo.

Both have been disappointing in many situations in games. Both have been inconsistent from year to year and really haven't lived up to their status as a high draft pick, regardless of injuries

Billings failed the test from 2017 -2020 when he was asked to play as a midfielder or on the wing. He would often release the footy to green grass, rather than risk contact. Getting tackled and getting caught holding the ball at least allows your team mates 5 or 10 seconds to set up.

There are players who have this similar trait (avoiding contact) but the very best of them like Josh Kelly somehow manage to hit up a team mate with a hand ball more often than not.

When JB dished it off blindly it was so frustrating as a supporter. I can imagine how disappointing it was for coaches and his team mates. It meant we were vulnerable from the turnover.

Coff was playing in defence and wasn't prepared to put his body on the line at times. You can't have a defender or any player doing that when there's a contest to be won, especially if it's your direct opponent

At their very best they have been serviceable but you get found out in a contact sport. I don't think either has enough strings to their bow these days (e.g elite endurance, accuracy with set shots, intercept possessions, winning 1-1 contests, etc..) therefore they'll both struggle to hold on to a regular senior gig.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 20 Oct 2023 6:05am, edited 1 time in total.

axcellence
Club Player

I feel more certain that Dow will work well. Given the 10th on clearance ladder, his addition should do well.

Cofffield... I wasn't sure about him. Interceptor at best? I thought he used to lose too many 1 on 1s. But yeah, that was 2-3 years ago. It'll be interesting to see how he goes.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What sucks RE Coffield, after 2020 the coaches absolutely mismanaged him with that whole bulk up and play more key defender approach.

Kid was meant to be a running, intercepting, play maker type. Like a Brett Voss but more runner then defender.

The penny seemed to drop and Coff to his credit did the work. Last two preseasons, boards have been flooded with reports that he is/has been close to the fittest player at the club and on track to burst onto the scene.

It’s different to the negative stigma that followed Clark, Billings, Dunstan etc of a questionable work rate (true or not).

He didn’t get to show it though because of those impact injuries. Now it seems the Bulldogs are set to capitalise on the work he’s done.

All of that said… I think the emergence of NWM has definitively landed Coff in the surplus to requirements category for now at least

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:24pm Coffield is not slow - has real power

He is soft though

However
Will be good at the dogs
He's slow of mind. Doesn't know what to do when he has the ball.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:24pm Coffield is not slow - has real power

He is soft though

However
Will be good at the dogs
He has so much power, he appears to tremble under the ball from the shear pressure of his brain trying to tell his legs not to run before the ball comes down.

Then when he launches, he busts a calf.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do not mistake outside player with soft player

Many outside players were/are tough as nails

Never saw Billings once shirk a contest, in fact a few years back he took one of the most courageous marks of the year.

Coffield I’ve seen not go aerially- and he’s a 190cm intercept defender- however other times he does go, bit weird

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I just wonder what crap we will pick up from other clubs?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 4:43pm Do not mistake outside player with soft player

Never saw Billings once shirk a contest
Seems you are selective in what you see...and don't see

Billings problem was that he had no side step. Hardly ever took on the opposition. He preferred to handball to green grass rather than take on the opposition.

Billings also had ...shall we say 'courage issues'. He perfectly fits the bill of a player who hears footsteps

I remember a match a few years back when Billings was first player onto a loose footy...the heat was on...so what does he do?

Billings released the footy and handballed to a team mate who was actually sitting on the ground...he shirked responsibility and passed the footy to a stationary target (who was obviously motionless) instead of trying to fend off a tackle or copping some bruises.

Classic example of a player who squibbed it

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 6:44pm
B.M wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 4:43pm Do not mistake outside player with soft player

Never saw Billings once shirk a contest
Seems you are selective in what you see...and don't see

Billings problem was that he had no side step. Hardly ever took on the opposition. He preferred to handball to green grass rather than take on the opposition.

Billings also had ...shall we say 'courage issues'. He perfectly fits the bill of a player who hears footsteps

I remember a match a few years back when Billings was first player onto a loose footy...the heat was on...so what does he do?

Billings released the footy and handballed to a team mate who was actually sitting on the ground...he shirked responsibility and passed the footy to a stationary target (who was obviously motionless) instead of trying to fend off a tackle or copping some bruises.

Classic example of a player who squibbed it
That is really pathetic Scollop, to call a player who pulled on the jumper for 150 odd games and put his body on the line on many occasions a sqib
is really poor, I would have expected better from you.

This post says a lot more about you as a person than it does Billings as a player.

Who is the person in this instance with the courage issues?
I don't think it is Jack Billings.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He was a squibb on that occasion

There's a new sport in the Olympics where you run around and pass the footy without tackling...he should try out for that

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 7:19pm He was a squibb on that occasion

There's a new sport in the Olympics where you run around and pass the footy without tackling...he should try out for that
Once again Scollop, your comments say more about you and your keyboard warrior status than they do about Jack Billings.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s absolute rubbish