Our Gawn conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Our Gawn conundrum

Young Heath is going to be very good next year. How will he be used.
Dee's couldn't work out how to play a star ruck with an excellent ruck, MCG was not big enough for both. The excellent left.
Surely our coaches will have a plan for both Marshall and Heath to be in the same side?
What a tragedy if the Heath lad had to leave in '25 to get an opportunity.
A few scenarios come to mind but I am not sure I'd be brave enough to run them past Rowan.
Are we smarter than Melbourne?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Gawn conundrum

Just hope the decision is not forced on us, is my plan.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

The challenge for the Gawn and Grundy combo was in Grundy's inability to spend time forward.

Whilst neither Max or Roma are suitable full time forwards both are capable of spending 20%-30% of the game forward if required making it feasible.

Example
Roma 60% ruck 25% forward 15% bench
Max. 40% ruck 35% forward 25% bench

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly Roma got through the season with high game time and reduced training load. He was in great form right up to and including finals.

Perhaps there is something in that.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I don’t get the hype on Moose just yet.

I still think he’s a fair way off AFL standard.
Particularly in covering the ground like the top AFL rucks do.

I think he can make the grade but not sold on him being a regular next season let alone very good.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 16 Oct 2023 11:27pm Young Heath is going to be very good next year. How will he be used.
Dee's couldn't work out how to play a star ruck with an excellent ruck, MCG was not big enough for both. The excellent left.
Surely our coaches will have a plan for both Marshall and Heath to be in the same side?
What a tragedy if the Heath lad had to leave in '25 to get an opportunity.
A few scenarios come to mind but I am not sure I'd be brave enough to run them past Rowan.
Are we smarter than Melbourne?
That’s gotta be some primo home grown you on.

If Heath gets his debut next year and then a handful of games to show if he’s capable at the level then that will be progress.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

It really depends on if/when Membrey returns or if we need to fill a spot in forward line. If Heath can get 4-5 games at AFL level to sharpen his chops marking, bringing ball to advantage and kicking goals, as well as ruck work in the 50.
Combined with Rowan tapping from the centre etc or vice versa.

Gawn & Grundy didnt work well really because Melbourne had the forward/centre or half forward roles filled and it was a bit superfluous to have both on field. We've seen dual rucks excel in tandem and fail.

I hope RTB finds a way for Heath to get in and help...Rowan needs to be cut loose to fire...maybe Heath can be good enough...not sure yet.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Max Heath turns 21 next week so he's still only what Ross Lyon termed "a baby" in the AFL.

Ross Lyon's teams have always featured strong ruck combinations and I think he will give Heath plenty of opportuties when the young bloke is ready to play on the big stage.

When that happens St Kilda will be blessed with a really impressive arsenal of tall forward options: Max King, Anthony Caminiti, Rowan Marshall, Max Heath, Cooper Sharman, Jack Hayes.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist