Dow officially nominates Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Dow officially nominates Saints

damienc wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 6:31pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 6:22pm If cheap then ok but anything above round three we have overpaid. He is not the player we need and we have enough mids who can go in and get the ball and then kick it to the wrong person or place. Not saying he doesn’t have skills he just doesn’t seem to bring anything new to our list, just an upgrade to some of our players.

IMHO I think Byrnes gets a bit of unnecessary hatred on here. Not saying he is amazing but he is still young and improving and I am looking forward to the impact a rtb pre season will have on him
Not a player we need? You are joking of course. He's exactly the player we need and don't have. By don't have, I mean someone to burst from stoppages with the ball at speed to hand it over to an outside mid. Jack Steele was the closest but he doesn't have the leg speed of Paddy Dow.

I think Dow will relish the new opportunity he's being presented with at St Kilda. I certainly hope so.
Agree to disagree and happy to be proven wrong. unfortunately I read an article on SEN where Kane Cornes is in agreement with me. So now I don't know what to think. :-)

From all I have read he is nothing special... yet. Inconsistent at AFL level and has trouble hitting a target up forward and is not developing at the rate he should be. Stand by my statement as round two pick is overs, three about right and four is cheap

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

See that "nothing special " advert?
And Kcornes often concedes errors.
Hope Dow thrives in the new environment like M. Wood did.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I love optimism, but I’m a little intrigued as to how Dow is so highly rated on this site.

Reading this forum Dow is now a clearance machine, has breakaway pace and is primed to become a very good player.

This is a guy who can’t get a game at Carlton, will arrive for a future 4th rounder or something similar, is a grab and throw the ball on his boot player.

I hope our optimism is correct, but realistically if one trick pony SOS wasn’t list manager would we even be interested in Dow?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Dow has talent - which is why he was drafted with pick 2

Hasn’t fully realised his talent (like Billings)

A new environment may see him thrive or do better.

I reckon Dow’s development will end up similar to James Aish’s career

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Dow could be the preferred replacement for Seb.
Steele, Dow, Crouch, Clark, Windhager, Owens is a good looking group of mids with Seb off the bench.
Now, how to get Jack Higgins to nail his opportunities. I'm suggesting an off season of tai chi and summer school on the science of kicking, ball behaviour, snooker with emphasis on angles and goal posts trigonometry. Plus running of course.

damienc
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 12 Oct 2023 7:26am I love optimism, but I’m a little intrigued as to how Dow is so highly rated on this site.

Reading this forum Dow is now a clearance machine, has breakaway pace and is primed to become a very good player.

This is a guy who can’t get a game at Carlton, will arrive for a future 4th rounder or something similar, is a grab and throw the ball on his boot player.

I hope our optimism is correct, but realistically if one trick pony SOS wasn’t list manager would we even be interested in Dow?
I think you’re vastly overstating the SOS influence.

I think people other than SOS believe Dow will be a good fit.

He’s not a clearance beast but he could be. Carlton never really had a role for him.

St Kilda will give him a specific job, to give us an advantage at stoppages.

He had a very good back half to 2023. One of Carlton’s best when they played the Saints.

Let us all hope he takes his opportunity and flourishes.