Keep Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Re: Keep Coffield

ace wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 6:03pm Make the Dogs coff up.
Late first round or their future 2024 first rounder.
All Traded to GC already. I think pick 46 probably gets it done sadly.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 6:14pm
As long as we give that to Freo for Henry I guess it’s alright then.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

In my opinion, lack of selection integrity is the main contributing factor as to why certain players want out.

If you are repeatedly one of the best players for Sandringham and not getting a game when certain coaches
'pets" get picked week in and week out, it's no wonder you are looking for greener pastures.

Unfortunately our coach has a history of selecting certain ordinary players over ones who would be expected to give more, at least in the short term.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 6:50pm In my opinion, lack of selection integrity is the main contributing factor as to why certain players want out.

If you are repeatedly one of the best players for Sandringham and not getting a game when certain coaches
'pets" get picked week in and week out, it's no wonder you are looking for greener pastures.

Unfortunately our coach has a history of selecting certain ordinary players over ones who would be expected to give more, at least in the short term.
Please elaborate?

Players potentially leaving or wanting to leave:
Gresham - 23 games seniors 0 games Sandringham
Coffield - 0 games seniors 4 games Sandringham (after a two year lay off)
Billings - 3 senior games 8 games Sandringham (I'm a Billings fan and think he's best 22, but he didn't set the world on fire at AFL level or Sandy)
McKenzie - 0 senior games 2 VFL games

Who is wanting to leave because of lack of opportunity?
Other than Billings I don't see it.
McKenzie and Coffield were injured the majority of the season.
Bytel was delisted and I very much doubt anyone AFL club picks him up.

Who are the ordinary players playing in front of these guys?
Perhaps Ronnie Byrnes?
Phillipou? I think he stayed in mostly on potential.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
longtimesaint
Club Player

I wouldn’t let him go to the bulldogs for that lower pick.
Former top 10 draft pick and top 5 b&f
Offer him another deal or let him go to PSD
They are saying it is @ shallow draft with possibly only 45 taken.
Otherwise we want a player from the dogs.

One year will be our year
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 7:08pm
saynta wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 6:50pm In my opinion, lack of selection integrity is the main contributing factor as to why certain players want out.

Please elaborate?

Players potentially leaving or wanting to leave:
Gresham - 23 games seniors 0 games Sandringham
Coffield - 0 games seniors 4 games Sandringham (after a two year lay off)
Billings - 3 senior games 8 games Sandringham (I'm a Billings fan and think he's best 22, but he didn't set the world on fire at AFL level or Sandy)
McKenzie - 0 senior games 2 VFL games

Who is wanting to leave because of lack of opportunity?
Other than Billings I don't see it.
McKenzie and Coffield were injured the majority of the season.
Bytel was delisted and I very much doubt anyone AFL club picks him up.

Who are the ordinary players playing in front of these guys?
Perhaps Ronnie Byrnes?
Phillipou? I think he stayed in mostly on potential.
Love this post.

Also interesting to note players like Campbell, Byrnes and Stocker have signed on. They could be players to whinge about opportunity but haven't.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Billings like several others was in recovery, limited or no preseason...
Billings played first gane in VFL at R5.
His VFL stats:
Possessions: 22.4 avg
Goals: 9.9; 1.24 per game
Marks: 4.12 avg
Tackles: 3 avg

He was handy@sandy but definitely didn't light any fires.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They are great numbers for a HF

Did Phillipou light fires at AFL level?

That’s what we are talking about with selection integrity

Phillipou could easily have developed in the VFL in the midfygetting 25+

Than in the AFL where he averaged 12ppg as a HF - I’ll check what Billings average in his couple of AFL games in the same spot

But Career wise JB averages 20ppg as a HF

Killa
Club Player

As I have contributed previously, I am aware that after a season in which Coffield finished in the Top 10, he lost influence the following season with the Coach "calling him in" to advise that more run and carry was required ("use your legs").

To his credit, Coffield improved this aspect of his game and was then reported as "flying" in pre-season ahead of injury, followed by further injury.

I just wonder if his return at Sandringham carried this audit on influence, noting a 2 Year Contract was on offer but at what salary, a salary you would conclude was reduced from the one executed off his Top 10 B&F finish and because of 2 years on the injury list?

With the GWS Final, they had run from behind out of defence, and big bodies spreading and running at our defenders who were, accordingly, under pressure and hence the loss.

We have tried to get that run, using Hill and Sinclair in 2022 and Wanganeen-Milera and Sinclair in 2023, both with success.

This is what the defensive Coach asked for and got.

Lacking a Miller from GCS player in our mid-field, responsibility is on our rebounding, running defenders to engineer scoring trains.

Given what GWS threw at us, our defence held up reasonably at a level (their marking talls got us but they got plenty of opportunity to do so, Cordy the weak link and exploited playing in front as he did)

Now to another subject.

Coffield's Draft Pick number, a Top 10 finish prior to the Coach "rev" the following season then 2 seasons of injury together with a 2 Year Contract declined (obviously for a better one in regard term and amount) would, in my view, demand a Compensation which would get the Henry trade done, noting the Henry history of Draft Number then development so akin to Coffield except for the Top 10 finish.

Accordingly, if the Coffield offer does not get Henry done, the offer for Coffield is declined.

And, in attempting to get Coffield thru the Trade Period and not as a player out of Contract (because he has declined an extension) therefore thru the Draft mechanisms, WB should be aware of this requirement of St Kilda.

"Get us Henry if you want Coffield".

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It seems the club hasn’t put up much of a fight to keep Coffield. I hear he is going with the club’s blessings.

Not sold on this one at all. Fully fit, he’s an improvement on Stocker just for one example.

Very disappointing outcome if he goes for next to nothing, particularly if he kicks on big time … as he is likely to do if he gets an injury-free run at it.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 7:14pm
I wouldn’t let him go to the bulldogs for that lower pick.
Former top 10 draft pick and top 5 b&f
Offer him another deal or let him go to PSD
They are saying it is @ shallow draft with possibly only 45 taken.
Otherwise we want a player from the dogs.
Agreed. But he will go for a pick in the 40-60 range. Essentially walking for free.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 12:27pm They are great numbers for a HF

Than in the AFL where he averaged 12ppg as a HF - I’ll check what Billings average in his couple of AFL games in the same spot

Billings is a spud and it’s hugely deceptive saying “he averages 20ppg at HF” given he’s played more than 50% mid time in his last 6 seasons. He’s real stats normalised at half forward would be terrible.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 12 Oct 2023 11:49pm

Billings is a spud and it’s hugely deceptive saying “he averages 20ppg at HF” given he’s played more than 50% mid time in his last 6 seasons. He’s real stats normalised at half forward would be terrible.
maybe that's why no one really wants him. :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2023 1:09pm As I have contributed previously, I am aware that after a season in which Coffield finished in the Top 10, he lost influence the following season with the Coach "calling him in" to advise that more run and carry was required ("use your legs").

To his credit, Coffield improved this aspect of his game and was then reported as "flying" in pre-season ahead of injury, followed by further injury.

I just wonder if his return at Sandringham carried this audit on influence, noting a 2 Year Contract was on offer but at what salary, a salary you would conclude was reduced from the one executed off his Top 10 B&F finish and because of 2 years on the injury list?

With the GWS Final, they had run from behind out of defence, and big bodies spreading and running at our defenders who were, accordingly, under pressure and hence the loss.

We have tried to get that run, using Hill and Sinclair in 2022 and Wanganeen-Milera and Sinclair in 2023, both with success.

This is what the defensive Coach asked for and got.

Lacking a Miller from GCS player in our mid-field, responsibility is on our rebounding, running defenders to engineer scoring trains.

Given what GWS threw at us, our defence held up reasonably at a level (their marking talls got us but they got plenty of opportunity to do so, Cordy the weak link and exploited playing in front as he did)

Now to another subject.

Coffield's Draft Pick number, a Top 10 finish prior to the Coach "rev" the following season then 2 seasons of injury together with a 2 Year Contract declined (obviously for a better one in regard term and amount) would, in my view, demand a Compensation which would get the Henry trade done, noting the Henry history of Draft Number then development so akin to Coffield except for the Top 10 finish.

Accordingly, if the Coffield offer does not get Henry done, the offer for Coffield is declined.

And, in attempting to get Coffield thru the Trade Period and not as a player out of Contract (because he has declined an extension) therefore thru the Draft mechanisms, WB should be aware of this requirement of St Kilda.

"Get us Henry if you want Coffield".
What you are suggesting but not saying is a three way trade.
Dogs you give Freo draft pick or player to release Henry to St kilda then StKilda will release Coffield to Dogs.

Dogs pick or player ---> Freo
Freo Henry ---> St Kilda
St Kilda Coffield ---> Dogs

ST Kilda presently has picks 13, 21, 35, 56
Dogs presently have picks 5, 40, 48, 53, 69, 72, 75

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I thought we should have traded him in 2018 when he was worth something. Overvalued by Saints list managers and ... Saints fans

I put my hand up in getting a couple wrong over the years, but this below has to be the worst 'big call' I've ever read on Saintsational

viewtopic.php?p=1754485#p1754485

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 13 Oct 2023 3:29pm

Personally, I thought we should have traded him in 2018 when he was worth something. Overvalued by Saints list managers and ... Saints fans

I put my hand up in getting a couple wrong over the years, but this below has to be the worst 'big call' I've ever read on Saintsational

viewtopic.php?p=1754485#p1754485
Looking up my old posts Scolops? Wow, you must have plenty of time. Thanks for the interest, though.

Actually, can’t see much wrong with that post at the time it was posted.

Always difficult to compare two players who play different positions but at the time, but JB was tracking pretty well, stats easily comparable to NDS despite not playing midfield, had an excellent year in 2017, and was about to have a really good year in 2019, polled a dozen or so brownlow votes that year didn’t he?

After that, Covid, a mini season with short games, JB injured in 2021 but kept playing, 2022 & 2023 virtually write offs. At that age NDS was playing his best footy, JB off the park.

NDS was also playing in a very good and improving team, whereas JB was in an up and down team, mainly down, and was switched from hhf, to wing, to hbf, imo not well managed. The talent is there though.

I wonder if JB had been drafted the same year as NDS, how things would have panned out? Apart from his issue shooting for goal, maybe not up to NDS standard, but not that far away imo. The better the team, the better JB would be.

Unfortunately not to be. Hopefully JB is not finished yet.

Don’t worry, I don’t have the time to look up your old posts. Phew… scary.

Ratts, he’s the man … oops gone
Longy, going to be a gun, should take Hill’s spot … gone, now lost his spot at GCS
Bytel, potential star, should replace Crouch (18 brownlow votes), ….. oops, delisted.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing trumps Billings = Dal Santo

Your multi year defence of the Hannebery trade back in 2019/20 comes close... you often told us 'be patient' it's a 4 year deal :oops:

And what about your defence of Alan Richardson?

Only person who would agree with you in 2019 was tedtheodorelogan2018

Nuff said

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ahh. Memories.

What ever happened to Ted?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 13 Oct 2023 10:08pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your multi year defence of the Hannebery trade back in 2019/20 comes close... you often told us 'be patient' it's a 4 year deal :oops:

Nuff said
Broad brush statements are very convenient, as they remove any context.

Anyway, Hannebury did spend most of his time at the Saints as a patient didn't he?

Ted? Yes, I miss Ted, posting breaking news about something that was never going to happen before it didn't happen.
I enjoyed the reactions by supporting his posts. Gun poster :)

spert
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 12 Oct 2023 12:04pm It seems the club hasn’t put up much of a fight to keep Coffield. I hear he is going with the club’s blessings.

Not sold on this one at all. Fully fit, he’s an improvement on Stocker just for one example.

Very disappointing outcome if he goes for next to nothing, particularly if he kicks on big time … as he is likely to do if he gets an injury-free run at it.
Obviously Lyon isn't seeing something in Coff, that Coff supporters are seeing.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Is Coff Mk23 the same as Coff Mk20? Bigger but more fragile, less athletic, less confident, less part of the actual playing group, not a kid anymore, new kids on the block taking the limelight?
Has a history of injury now and prolonged lack of competitive experience. Can he find the way to become an attacking defender as well as an intercept mark? I guess Dogs think so and we have concerns. Sandringham outings didn't show he can, but early back from injury.
His manager could back the lad and negotiate performance clauses that would increase his thp if he stayed and played well, but the Dogs are an easy out.
Josh Bruce might be a cautionary tale but the Dogs know what they are doing.
We are in no position to second guess the value to StKFC the Club puts on players.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Coffields skill is playing behind the ball and rebounding. He hasn't shown anyone he can run with the ball.
When he was asked, he stacked up calf injuries and rehab.
I suggest his confidence is shot and they have guaranteed him another year if he isn't ready.
Fair call.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sat 14 Oct 2023 7:36am
Scollop wrote: Fri 13 Oct 2023 10:08pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuff said
Broad brush statements are very convenient, as they remove any context.

Anyway, Hannebury did spend most of his time at the Saints as a patient didn't he?

Ted? Yes, I miss Ted, posting breaking news about something that was never going to happen before it didn't happen.
I enjoyed the reactions by supporting his posts. Gun poster :)
I also loved Ted, and missed him/her when they departed.

The breaking stories off Facebook & Big Footy, the Whispers, pure GOLD!

I loved winding Ted up as well, they would get so upset :lol:

Definitely missed.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
realdeal
Club Player

Surely only someone with an axe to grind would even make a comment like this. Its totally nonsensical.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 14 Oct 2023 7:47am
bigcarl wrote: Thu 12 Oct 2023 12:04pm It seems the club hasn’t put up much of a fight to keep Coffield. I hear he is going with the club’s blessings.

Obviously Lyon isn't seeing something in Coff, that Coff supporters are seeing.
If that’s the case, I sincerely hope he’s right on this one.

He usually is, but I’d have preferred it if he’d actually seen the kid play for St Kilda. That would put him in a better position to make an informed judgement.