Dow officially nominates Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Dow officially nominates Saints

Paddy Dow has officially informed Carlton he wants to be traded to StKilda (source AFL.com.au)

Carlton want a trade, Saints say DFA.

What is his worth?
Do you want Dow?

I think a late 4th round at best, DFA is accurate IMO, I’d prefer we don’t take Dow.

I really hope SOS isn’t a one trick pony and starts recruiting failed Carlton players to StKilda like he did with failed GWS players at Carlton.

SOS was a great player, and a good bloke by all accounts, but the drafting during his time at GWS was horrendous as was some of the early Carlton picks like Dow & O’Brien and his recruitment of failed GWS players at Carlton concerning.

Not suggesting he was responsible for the drafting at GWS, just stating fact that during his tenure at GWS the first round draft recruiting was so poor they made our mob look like geniuses.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dow officially nominates Saints

Dow has been good at clearance work and has a better clearance average per game than any of our midfielders this year. Initially, I wasn't sure this was such a good move, but I have warmed to it. Any help we can get at the stoppages is greatly welcomed at this stage. We were destroyed there in 2023, so adding someone who has some clearance smarts is a good move.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:08pm Paddy Dow has officially informed Carlton he wants to be traded to StKilda (source AFL.com.au)

What is his worth?
Do you want Dow?

I think a late 4th round at best, DFA is accurate IMO, I’d prefer we don’t take Dow.

I really hope SOS isn’t a one trick pony and starts recruiting failed Carlton players to StKilda like he did with failed GWS players at Carlton.

SOS was a great player, and a good bloke by all accounts, but the drafting during his time at GWS was horrendous as was some of the early Carlton picks like Dow & O’Brien and his recruitment of failed GWS players at Carlton concerning.

Not suggesting he was responsible for the drafting at GWS, just stating fact that during his tenure at GWS the first round draft recruiting was so poor they made our mob look like geniuses.
Far better footballer than Byrnes who got a heap of games.

Will improve us.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
damienc
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:18pm Dow has been good at clearance work and has a better clearance average per game than any of our midfielders this year. Initially, I wasn't sure this was such a good move, but I have warmed to it. Any help we can get at the stoppages is greatly welcomed at this stage. We were destroyed there in 2023, so adding someone who has some clearance smarts is a good move.
Thank you. Finally, something sensible in an ocean of absurdity. Dow had a great back half to the year when he played. He's been starved of opportunity at Carlton. He will thrive at the Saints.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dow has only played 65 games. Hopefully he is about to hit a sweet spot.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

As long as we don't give up a first or second round pick for a Carlton fringe player he's worth a punt.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Majority carlton fans seem pretty annoyed with this - the faithful still see upside to him and are ruing the potential of the one that got away
In fairness they have a gun midfield so he’s not getting a consistent run in the foreseeable future with them

Win for us I reckon as we won’t have to give much.. if anything?

#1 Ryder fan
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Really good get assuming we have to pay no more than a third round pick.

Ordinary skills at times but will be one of our best clearance players. Takes pressure not only off Steele and Crouch but also Owens, Pou and Windhager.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:44pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:08pm Paddy Dow has officially informed Carlton he wants to be traded to StKilda (source AFL.com.au)

What is his worth?
Do you want Dow?

Will improve us.
This is the correct way of looking at the trade, does it improve on any of the incumbent...definitely an upgrade on Byrne's.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

They play different positions.

We're recruiting Henry to play on the wing and Dow to play as a stoppage mid and centre bounce mid.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:18pm Dow has been good at clearance work and has a better clearance average per game than any of our midfielders this year. Initially, I wasn't sure this was such a good move, but I have warmed to it. Any help we can get at the stoppages is greatly welcomed at this stage. We were destroyed there in 2023, so adding someone who has some clearance smarts is a good move.
Opposition teams targetted Cripps, Cerra and Walsh as well as Docherty at stoppages. I don't think he's going to become our number one clearance player.

Dow has upside and he can improve as a footballer. I agree that he'll be handy, but I doubt he'll be any more than just a future replacement for Sebby

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Played well against us. Wouldn't have been surprised if he got Brownlow votes that game. Looks a good size. Can't be compared to Byrnes. Better than Bytel or Jones. Byrnes will be flashing past for the handball, then pinpoint delivery. Henry and Dow would be good, eh.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

He has one asset that none of our mids have, he can break out of stoppage with speed he has shown this time and time again. He just has to hit targets, if he can bring that then we have a massive win

SaintWiki
Club Player

Sounds like a good prospect without breaking the bank both ways.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 7:57pm
They play different positions.

We're recruiting Henry to play on the wing and Dow to play as a stoppage mid and centre bounce mid.
What position is Byrnes again?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Good work.
Dow looks like he was a slow developer, but I was impressed with his composure in tight, and good exit speed and great hands.
I think the speed from stoppage is exactly what we need, and he looks like a player who has found himself.

Remember, it took Wood until he was 27 to realise his potential, they're not all 19 year old guns.

Clearly behind Crupps and Walsh so good move for him and for us.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I think this is a positive move if we can get him for a third rounder.
Any more than that and it would be a pass in my opinion.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

quite happy to get him - at the least an able replacement for ross and jones.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He’s essentially an upgrade on Bytel - the hope for many was that Bytel would have elevated his game and perhaps pushed a Ross/Jones out out.

Paddy looks to me like someone that starts outside the top22 but has a really opportunity to push his way in like Stocker did to the backline

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I wonder if Carlton had concerns over his fitness?

He played 10 games in 2023, five as sub.

In the five games he started, he averaged just 72% game time.

Although he still picked up 20+ touches every time.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 9:48am He’s essentially an upgrade on Bytel - the hope for many was that Bytel would have elevated his game and perhaps pushed a Ross/Jones out out.

Paddy looks to me like someone that starts outside the top22 but has a really opportunity to push his way in like Stocker did to the backline
That is a very good post Skeptik.
I think you are spot off with your assessment.

Dow is probably 20-28 on the list and depth, but an upgrade on Bytel.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

What is his worth?
Do you want Dow?

Will improve us.
Don’t disagree that he is probably a better player than Byrnes. I don’t think Byrnes is best 22, probably 25-30 on the list.

Byrnes IMO has the one talent that Ross loves, he’s a very good runner and hard worker.

Being better than Byrnes is not a great Resume to get you a list spot or suggest you are best 22.

Dow will be handy depth, but do we really want to recruit more depth in the 22-30 mark on the list?

He’s played what 60 odd matches in 5 or 6 seasons in a team largely outside of finals and hasn’t cemented a spot. His first season was probably his best, a bit Luke Dunstan like.

As long as SOS doesn’t also recruit O’Brien I guess we can live with Dow. As skeptik wrote he is an upgrade on Bytel.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 10:10am I wonder if Carlton had concerns over his fitness?

He played 10 games in 2023, five as sub.

In the five games he started, he averaged just 72% game time.

Although he still picked up 20+ touches every time.
Would anticipate he will be fit by the end of a preseason with our squad.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 10:35am

What is his worth?
Do you want Dow?

Will improve us.
Don’t disagree that he is probably a better player than Byrnes. I don’t think Byrnes is best 22, probably 25-30 on the list.

Byrnes IMO has the one talent that Ross loves, he’s a very good runner and hard worker.

Being better than Byrnes is not a great Resume to get you a list spot or suggest you are best 22.

Dow will be handy depth, but do we really want to recruit more depth in the 22-30 mark on the list?

He’s played what 60 odd matches in 5 or 6 seasons in a team largely outside of finals and hasn’t cemented a spot. His first season was probably his best, a bit Luke Dunstan like.

As long as SOS doesn’t also recruit O’Brien I guess we can live with Dow. As skeptik wrote he is an upgrade on Bytel.
I'm a bit confused.
You and others keep mentioning SOS in reference to recruiting - isn't he just the List Manager?
Aren't the recruiters and coaching staff more involved in deciding who we go after?
SOS more involved in fitting everybody in to the salary cap.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 10:38am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 10:35am

What is his worth?
Do you want Dow?

Will improve us.

I'm a bit confused.
You and others keep mentioning SOS in reference to recruiting - isn't he just the List Manager?
Aren't the recruiters and coaching staff more involved in deciding who we go after?
SOS more involved in fitting everybody in to the salary cap.
Good question.

My understanding, maybe incorrect.
Very simplistic vision of responsibility with obvious crossover and team involvement.

Recruiters source and recommend talent outside the system.

List manager trades and managing contracts and payment.

Hard to know where the delineation is as SOS was credited with the recruitment of Caminitti.