North Melbourne's compensation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWiki
Club Player

Re: North Melbourne's compensation

This thread reminds me of the supporters of affluent teams whinging about us whenever the AFL gives handouts to keep us afloat, even when it's just a rumour.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 12:17pm 1) What are the chances Gill Mc …..flips completely and passionately advocates for the purity of market forces…..

2) The support North has been given will come back to haunt the AFL because it is so arbitrarily designed, no strings attached …..

3) If Suns, GWS, Sydney and now North keep getting special treatment how long before other clubs fans just lose interest because the game's rigged.

4) And don't mention the lurking money pit of a Tasmanian side.

5) At least in horse racing there is some science to the allocation of handicaps.
Mnn..here is my totally subjective opinion about this.

1) He might but I don’t think anyone would care the slightest

2) Disagree. Arbitrarily is the way. Footprints get covered by the snow, sand, fog of war etc…

3)Club fans won’t lose interest. Look at EPL. My mate is an Everton tragic. He knows that five EPL clubs are gonna win everything. Still loves em . Bitter, but still loves em.

Clubs themselves? different story…yes, they will be major whiners and complainers and lobbyists - in the name of ‘fairness’ of course. No choice. To be competitive.

4) kind of back to point 2. I think there are two layers to the defence of the AFL as we know it. A parallel universe if you will. One layer has ‘official rules, constitution, etc’ and another layer is based on tacit and unstated assumptions/understandings. Organic. They fight it out against each other and against the ‘offence’ - which is the markets, the rationalists, promoters, the media, the feeder industries, (catering, grounds, sponsors) etc. Tasmania is a concept that comes from the ‘defence’ of the code side…as is the preservation of St Kilda, North Melbourne and Footscray. Gold Coast and GWS are clearly from the ‘offence’ side. They do not have a strand of organic fibre in them. The clubs themselves don’t care. They just wanna win a flag for themselves.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Too cynical Shane. There will be a reckoning for this largesse to North. The other clubs are not run by naive goldfish.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Sep 2023 3:22pm Too cynical Shane. There will be a reckoning for this largesse to North. The other clubs are not run by naive goldfish.
Agree the clubs will use this as a bargaining chip ...Say West Coast can now say, 'You helped them, now help us!..we were cobbled by Covid".
I guess that they don't care about fairness per se, as they know the whole thing can't be fair, so they use 'fairness' as rhetoric ..

As for cynicsm. Wouldn't disagree, could be.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 26 Sep 2023 3:31pm This compensation is a disgrace for a self inflicted wound.

If anything they should be made to trade them because they need an immediate injection of talent not a speculative selction so they can get a player that would potentially walk out after two years.
The two end of first round draft future picks = 2024 are subject to review.
But they can't be reviewed if they are used in trades before or during this years draft.
Trade each of them for a future pick, one pick later plus a future 4th rounder that would never get used.
e.g. future picks 19 and 20 traded for future picks 21 & 22 plus two future fourth rounders.
That way the AFL can not review them - they have already been traded.
Don't forget to give Gil a big retirement present.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Look, Suns got Karmichael Hunt from League, GWS got Israel Folau from Union, AFL needs to get Sam Kerr from Football to get the fans back to Roos games. Seems only fair.