Liam Henry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Liam Henry

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 3:40pm
B.M wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 9:23pm Has he re-signed?

Would you like to have a guess why

Hint
It’s not because he wants to stay!
Gresham has just had his season exit meeting.

"St Kilda’s Jade Gresham has just wrapped up his exit meeting with Ross Lyon and other football staff.

There isn’t a contract offer on the table but he has been told the Saints would like to keep him."

As a free agent would be crazy to put anything on the table at this stage. Let Gresham make the call if he says test the market then we get last dibs, if wants to stay we can then negotiate. If we put an offer out now then it provides everyone else with a starting point and to keep him from there you will pay more. Good decision

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I don't want him at all.
He would add nothing to our side except pace (we have Peris who is younger that can add nothing but pace).
He is another ball butcher and we already have a bunch of those.
It wouldn't surprise me though if Ross went hard for him as he probably thinks he can turn him into defensive forward, as you can never have too many of them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 6:12pm I don't want him at all.
He would add nothing to our side except pace (we have Peris who is younger that can add nothing but pace).
It wouldn't surprise me though if Ross went hard for him as he probably thinks he can turn him into defensive forward, as you can never have too many of them.
Did you watch the Collingwood vs Melbourne qualifying final?

How do you think Bobby Hill went?

I think Henry can be that sort of electric player with elite kicking skills.

I don't know what Ross's intentions are, but I think Henry is happy playing on the wing. I'd also say we need to replace Mason Wood and Brad Hill in the next 2-3 years. Both turn 31 in 2024

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

LOL - His kicking skills are either Elite or Deplorable

I is confused

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 8:16pm LOL - His kicking skills are either Elite or Deplorable

I is confused
Liam Henry or Gresh?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gresh

1 kick is elite
9 are deplorable

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Henry is very young. His best footy is in front of him. Hopefully we can get the trade done

Mason Wood was being talked about in the first 6-10 rounds as an All Australian squad member

Here’s Henry’s averages for this current season versus Mason Wood

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 6:37pm

I don't know what Ross's intentions are, but I think Henry is happy playing on the wing. I'd also say we need to replace Mason Wood and Brad Hill in the next 2-3 years. Both turn 31 in 2024
What makes you think he has elite kicking skills? Nothing he has done has shown that.
His kicking is below average, his efficiency is at 70% fractionally better than Gresham and Gresham is almost the definition of a ball butcher.
He has great pace and averages 20 possessions a game, he is a C grader at best and they will want A grade price because he is young.
Not worth it in my opinion.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 9:41am

What makes you think he has elite kicking skills? Nothing he has done has shown that.
His kicking is below average, his efficiency is at 70% fractionally better than Gresham and Gresham is almost the definition of a ball butcher.
He has great pace and averages 20 possessions a game, he is a C grader at best and they will want A grade price because he is young.
How closely have you watched him play or are you just going by stats?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 8:16pm LOL - His kicking skills are either Elite or Deplorable

I is confused
Deplorably elite lol.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Sanctorum
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 9:41am

If Henry's kicking skills are below the required standard that can easily be fixed with good development coaches which St Kilda now have, and a lot of hard work. He's still young enough to get that done.

The thing that has impressed me since installation of the new coaching panel this year is that quite a few players have improved their skill levels, especially the young fellas.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SinCitySainter
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 10:38am

How closely have you watched him play or are you just going by stats?
I have seen him play so not just by stats but I am not going to pretend I have studied him closely.
From what I have seen his kicking is average at best certainly not elite as people are suggesting in my opinion.
I think Saturday showed that our disposal is probably our biggest weakness.
If you consistently hits targets by foot you move the ball fast and look fast.
We are not slow by foot but look it when we constantly miss targets.

Now going for foot speed may be in direct response to us struggling on larger grounds.
That is because when we don't have the ball we go to a zonal defense, or protecting grass as I call it.
That means your opponents have room to move and can cut you up if they hit targets well.
We struggle at the MCG and against West Coast on the larger Optus Stadium pitch even though they struggle to hit a barn door with a banjo.
However, we looked a million dollars on the far smaller SCG because we could block up the play as it is hard to hit a target when you have no room to run into.

wally
Club Player

I just looked up GWS paid pick 44 for Toby Bedford seems a good player be nice if we could snare some trades like that

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

This kid has similar skill and poise to what NWM possesses.

It just took a while for him to get from 67 to 83kg.

Small forward, mid or wing, it won't matter.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

If he is as good as NWM then they are going to want 2 FRDPs for him as we would for NWM.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We can get role players from the draft (rookie or late pick PSD), but we need to find match winners somewhere. You only get those with top 20 picks or trades, unless you jag a smokey.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rule for the last 25 years should have been

NEVER trade out a first round pick - under any circumstances

Also never trade a second and third out in the same year

Always take min 3 in the ND and 1 in the RD every year

1 trade per season minimum

1 added through Supp
1 spot let open for mid season

That’s 7 players added every season
5 on the main list
2 rookies

axcellence
Club Player

I is confused
RL is good at getting players to play within their limitations… see Clint Jones, Blake

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 6:13pm Rule for the last 25 years should have been

NEVER trade out a first round pick - under any circumstances

Also never trade a second and third out in the same year

Always take min 3 in the ND and 1 in the RD every year

1 trade per season minimum

1 added through Supp
1 spot let open for mid season

That’s 7 players added every season
5 on the main list
2 rookies
And never trade with Essendon.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 2:18pm If he is as good as NWM then they are going to want 2 FRDPs for him as we would for NWM.
He's uncontracted. Freo will do a deal or else he walks and they get jack...as in... Jack Shyte :mrgreen:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Tue 12 Sep 2023 2:18pm If he is as good as NWM then they are going to want 2 FRDPs for him as we would for NWM.
Except for the fact it took till 22 to show a bit of form. He had a good year and wants out. They don't get to dictate because they chose to speculate.

We have locked our boy away.

bakes
Club Player

He’s worth pick 30 according to Champion Data guru

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/12/ ... ay-docker/

SinCitySainter
Club Player

They do get to dictate to a degree because he is their player and not a free agent.
Yes, he can walk to the pre-season draft but then he will end up at either North or across town at West Coast.
It won't get him here.
We will have to offer something they will want and if he is as good as people on here are making out then they will want a lot and a few clubs will be in for him.

I just hope we haven't promised him we will get him in because if we have we will be bent over and pay a fortune for a bang average C grader.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

2nd rounder will get it done.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 13 Sep 2023 11:32am They do get to dictate to a degree because he is their player and not a free agent.
Yes, he can walk to the pre-season draft but then he will end up at either North or across town at West Coast.
It won't get him here.
We will have to offer something they will want and if he is as good as people on here are making out then they will want a lot and a few clubs will be in for him.

I just hope we haven't promised him we will get him in because if we have we will be bent over and pay a fortune for a bang average C grader.
My Freo supporting neighbour, says Saints just have to hold their nerve. His reasoning, is Peter Bell hates Henry’s manager, Colin Young. It appears they have locked horns a number of times when Young has advised some of his Freo charges to move away of recent years to other clubs.

Peter Bell also has a very poor relationship with WestCoast Eagles administrators. Belly is known as a great one for holding grudges. My neighbour reckons we can take Bell up to the final moments of the trade, as he will carve in to our offers. The last thing Bell wouldn't be able to face is that Henry walks to Eagles at the end for nothing if they are interested in him. If Eagles are there hasn’t been any talk of it around Perth that I’ve noticed. It seems Henry is mates with a few Eagles players and has a ‘cousin’ on their list, so being picked by Eagles may not concern him overly.

I’m glad to read some are beginning to realize Henry is not that skillful with his kicking as most Freo supporters will tell you, he’s frustrating with his disposals. I’ve seen him play in 4 Freo matches and 2 WAFL games this season. I’d liken him to Gresham when it comes to kicking. Sometimes he’s excellent, hits his target in really flashy play situations. Other times his kicking is abysmal, under pressure he can pick out the opposition perfectly, or put it just over his teammate’s reach. Or just blazes away into forward line. So he would fit in well at Saints in that latter area!!’
I’m amazed when I hear commentators on TV say Gresham is one of Sainters best users of the ball by foot & I think how often have they seen Gresh play week in week out? IMO his kicking is the thing that lets him down most of the time.

I think Henry has a bit of the Gresh about him when it comes to his kicking and possibly thinking he’s more skillful than the opponents near him. Thankfully Henry doesn’t have Gresh’s fault of those dinky little sideways kicks that rarely work & cause us Saint supports to pull our hair out. Hopefully Henry is ‘coachable’ if the Saints do get him, after all he is young and by all accounts is now starting to ‘mature’ with his attitude towards wanting to improve and not just lap up being an AFL player.