The match

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: The match

They are not kids

They are AFL footballers

Who are getting games ahead of 150 game players

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I rate young Phillipou

He might be a star

But atm is uncompetitive

Easily worst on ground today

amusingname
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 7:09pm Haha

Liam Henry

The new Brad Hill

Non contributors today

Some of or young ‘stars’
Another off season of this Marto? not happy with who we are recruiting, but not offering any alternatives, then when someone goes to another club asks “why didn’t we go after them?”. Say up front who we should be going after!

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Ok, I'll take another crack.
* Butler staging for frees, disgraceful
* Crouch below par
* Phillipou terrible, Higgins woeful, Camminiti no impact
* Wilkie, worst game of the season. Sinclair ineffective

* Marshall elite
* Steele great game
* Hill class

Lennylegs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 7:59pm They are not kids

They are AFL footballers

Who are getting games ahead of 150 game players
Right, so 150 average games guarantees you a finals spot? Sounds like the same mediocre strategy for the last decade.

How about you have a look at Port Adelaide and ask yourself how they're going after they took the courage to trade a few 150 gamers for Butters and Rozee? How do you reckon they're going after prioritising youth over supposed safe bets?

And they are kids. Two first year players and three second year players. Serious talent who by playing today will take us well into the future with success.

You've got no idea, mate. You just trot out rubbish constantly. Had a gutful of it.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 8:27pm Ok, I'll take another crack.
Nah
That's another blatant cheating umps free kick and 50
Surely?

PS deserved a red card

Seeya
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 8:27pm Ok, I'll take another crack.
* Crouch below par
* Phillipou terrible, Higgins woeful, Camminiti no impact
* Wilkie, worst game of the season. Sinclair ineffective

* Marshall elite
* Steele great game
* Hill class
Yeah fair summation

You didn’t mention Sharman. The kid that will be in our starting lineup
We will need a draft boost to give pou camminiti a chance to progress. I’m disappointed in higgins. Expected more
Last edited by The Fireman on Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Teflon wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 7:30pm
sunsaint wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 7:27pm
samoht wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 7:03pm RTB should get off his high coach's box and be a ground-level coach, geeing on his team and giving players immediate feedback and instructions. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think where RTB chooses to sit is least of our issues
Have you not noticed
They don't tend to sit much down there

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm really happy for GWS. I hope their supporters enjoy the replay tonight and throughout the week - all 400 of them.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

After coming home and punishing myself with some replay highlights, I was amazed at how much louder the cheering was after a GWS goal than it was in real life. Almost like the TV sound coverage was fake.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

95% of what’s on TV is fake.

There was hardly any noise at all.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:17pm After coming home and punishing myself with some replay highlights, I was amazed at how much louder the cheering was after a GWS goal than it was in real life. Almost like the TV sound coverage was fake.
I disagree - lol - I sat right next to the camera that was over the GWS Cheer Squad - It was noisy there - and probably only there - the camera man gave us several dirty looks when we were paying out on the Umpiring - so I am guessing he was supplying the sound feed of just that section.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Sat 09 Sep 2023 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just watched RTB s presser and I’m convinced we have the right man at the helm

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Some dumb footy at times. Sincs and others were turning it over. Crouch, Pou, Seb Ross, Higgo.

Can't stand it when we try and target Higgins in a 1-1 marking contest. He's not Stewy Loewe ffs!!

He's a fvcken small forward. He's not a tall. Firstly; it's a low percentage play and he usually gets outmarked and secondly; who the hell is going to crumb the footy if his team mates kick it to the talls?

Higgins often leads and demands the footy and Saints players get sucked into kicking it to him. I can understand if he's clear, but he does it when he's got a taller opponent or when someone is right on his back.

That's what happened just before he gave away that 50m penalty. He never should have lead towards the kicker in the first place.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Butler tried an around the corner StevieJ style snap when he had a set shot from 35m out - members side forward pocket in the first half.

He rushed it and missed. I felt he was too far out to be trying a snap around the corner. It wasn't a super tight angle like the one that Max King also missed, so perhaps he could have just tried kicking it normally.

In the second half, Butler takes a lovely contested mark on the lead and has another set shot, with minimal angle, and this time he's 40-45m out from goal.

It was a tough mark and he ran directly towards the kicker, so very well earned. What does he do? You guessed it. He tries another around the corner kick.

It missed... didn't make the distance and he didn't connect properly either. You're further out than last time. Haven't you learnt anything?

Dumb!! Why? All your junior footy and most of your career in AFL is about kicking drop punts. If you don't want to kick a drop punt on a minimal angle when you're 45m out, then retire now

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:01pm I'm really happy for GWS. I hope their supporters enjoy the replay tonight and throughout the week - all 400 of them.
Plus AFL Commission. They can be noisy and influential.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 11:04pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:01pm I'm really happy for GWS. I hope their supporters enjoy the replay tonight and throughout the week - all 400 of them.
Plus AFL Commission. They can be noisy and influential.
Yeah, for sure. AFL Commission were at the game in their orange beanies and scarfs.

saintkev
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 8:02pm I rate young Phillipou

He might be a star

But atm is uncompetitive

He’s been ordinary for several weeks. He should’ve been substituted out of the game at halftime. He’s developing a lazy King-like attitude .

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:40pm Just watched RTB s presser and I’m convinced we have the right man at the helm
We do Firey
Pin points with no fuss where our issues are
Very clear, good
Think he also knows it’s not a 1 season fix too

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 11:48pm
B.M wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 8:02pm I rate young Phillipou

He might be a star

But atm is uncompetitive

He’s been ordinary for several weeks. He should’ve been substituted out of the game at halftime. He’s developing a lazy King-like attitude .
In the first half Pou was in a good spot to take a mark 30 out dead in front and he jumped and got both hands on it, but Caminiti came crashing through and basically spoiled his own team mate.

There was no GWS player contesting. It was about 7 or 8 minutes into the second quarter and no goal had been scored by either team, so it was going to give us some momentum and get us back to only 2 goals down.

The incident occurred with 13.43 left on the clock -2nd quarter. Pou has been important in matches for us this year and he's a very reliable kick.

The result was that GWS got a lucky break and a lucky bounce straight into one of their players' arms and they handballed and ran through the middle and got it to a 1-1 for Hogan who made Cordy look very ordinary.

GWS got the goal and got 2 more after that to open up a 6 goal lead. It was moments like that and opportunities with our entries that didn't quite work out on the day.

Caminiti had no right to spoil his team mate. He wasn't impeded because there weren't other players in front of Caminiti to block his vision. He ran 5 metres straight into the back of a Saints player who had hands on the ball.

As well as countless times where we got reamed by the umpires for several very obvious throws, incorrect disposals, and holding the ball frees that were not given to us.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 10 Sep 2023 1:42am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti has shown that he can be a very selfish player. He doesn’t do the team thing.

He better stamp this out of his game or he won’t last long at this level.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 10:45pm Some dumb footy at times. Sincs and others were turning it over. Crouch, Pou, Seb Ross, Higgo.

Can't stand it when we try and target Higgins in a 1-1 marking contest. He's not Stewy Loewe ffs!!

He's a fvcken small forward. He's not a tall. Firstly; it's a low percentage play and he usually gets outmarked and secondly; who the hell is going to crumb the footy if his team mates kick it to the talls?

Higgins often leads and demands the footy and Saints players get sucked into kicking it to him. I can understand if he's clear, but he does it when he's got a taller opponent or when someone is right on his back.

That's what happened just before he gave away that 50m penalty. He never should have lead towards the kicker in the first place.
Higgins is always leading, demands the ball, and always should. He is a good mark for his size, and usually attracts the taller of the defenders who can play on smalls.

The problem is he is often the only one leading, so what choice do the mids have?

King does not lead enough, maybe told to stay deep, which is wrong.
Sharman needs to lead more and to better spaces to add another string to his bow, needs to work on it.
Butler is more the smaller forward, leads on occasions, but quite rightly tries to get front and square or over the back.
Caminiti leads, but often in the wrong spot, also gets in the way a bit.
Membrey leads, effectively, all over the forward line up to the wings - we looked more efficient with him in, missed him yesterday.

The forward leading also creates space behind him, so keep leading, Jack.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

JFC…and we wonder why we couldn’t defend in the forward half..

As explained by Scollop above Higgins should be at the fall of the ball more often that not ready for a goal crumb or a tackle to create a stoppage. If he is the leading forward then the opposition can easily defend that through a turnover and bring the ball out for a counter attack as happened ad nauseam yesterday.

We just don’t have the speed and skill of ball movement/transition to be able to allow a small forward enough space to be a leading key target or we didn’t yesterday.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 6:37pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 6:36pm Boundry now piss taking
Clearly in, hard to see thru your tears I guess!
The only thing Clearly - is that Clearly you were not at the game.

I will let you in on a secret Dud.

If Channel 7 shows ONE angle of a replay - it is not because they don't have the others - it is because they are not prepared to embarrass the Umpires - how's that for a conspiracy theory?????

I was sitting above the umpire closest to the goals - looking RIGHT OVER HIS SHOULDER (you can confirm my positioning with CQ Saint)

I watched as it CLEARLY crossed the line - was about 6 inches over - watched as the two umpires looked at each other (possibly thinking you call it) and then play scooted on with no call.

I lost my tiny little mind!!!!!

And then - a point - sigh of relief - but the kick out was marked and Higgins caught in a position far less impactful than the Giants were earlier - 50 metres - a goal. I think I missed the 50 to us though - Hhhmm - Hunter would have been kicking from 30 out directly in front if he had the 50.

Different Umpire - probably
Different Stage of the Game - definitely

Unprofessional - probably

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!