Bye bye Maynard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bye bye Maynard

What line is Gerard Whateley playing because that’s the only opinion that matters.

I have some sympathy for Maynard but he’s a Collingwood bogan.

8 weeks!
Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 08 Sep 2023 9:45am, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 8:51am Astonishing that people think it wasn't intentional.

That scenario happens so many times in a match, almost always the defender jumps into the attacker with their hands or they jump past them completely, as Pickett did in the final quarter.

Maynard attempted to smother knowing he was going to follow through with his shoulder, regardless if he smothered the ball or not.

Maynard doesn't accidentally clean blokes up. He's tough, but he walks a fine line, which he clearly crossed. 4 weeks minimum.
100% correct. Imagine if as half backs you could just charge off the square and do this at you leisure as players dispose of the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 9:44am
Beno88 wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 8:51am Astonishing that people think it wasn't intentional.

That scenario happens so many times in a match, almost always the defender jumps into the attacker with their hands or they jump past them completely, as Pickett did in the final quarter.

Maynard attempted to smother knowing he was going to follow through with his shoulder, regardless if he smothered the ball or not.

Maynard doesn't accidentally clean blokes up. He's tough, but he walks a fine line, which he clearly crossed. 4 weeks minimum.
100% correct. Imagine if as half backs you could just charge off the square and do this at you leisure as players dispose of the ball.
Yeah, but he’ll miss finals and he can’t get suspended for that. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:22pm Big Maynard fan.

Wish we had him in our side.

Plays hard aggressive football- not dirty and not a thug.
That headbutt says you are wrong. He's a deadset thug all right,

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:36pm Can't believe what players were being suspended for at the start of the year compared to what they're being acquitted for now.
This would have been a clear suspension. Took him out, reckless 2-3 weeks.
Good chance it cost the dees a win too.

older saint
SS Life Member

Using the secret herbs and spices recipe

- High Contact
- Severe ( knocked out cant be anything less)
- Careless

3 matches or tribunal direct.

I actually think he gets off if he doesn't turn his body side on and the shoulder crashes into his head.
He left the ground and has a duty to protect the player he is running at ,and did not have to turn side on.

Will go to tribunal as then AFL cover their backside regarding head injury issues.
Collingwood will get bets KC to come in and will argue he didn't actually voluntarily turn side on it was due to a combination of the wind in the stadium and the centrifugal force generated by the way his foot left the ground.
This will result in being cleared and plays the Prelim for Collingwood , while Brayshaw misses the rest of the season with concussion symptoms. AFL then says - not our decision blame tribunal who are independent ( and we appoint?)

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Maynard is clearly the victim.
Pies are already having him bronzed for a MCG statue.
Soooo brave & inspirational.
May all players receive his contact to the face with exuberant joy knowing they've been touched by an angel.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 10:17am
I actually think he gets off if he doesn't turn his body side on and the shoulder crashes into his head.
He left the ground and has a duty to protect the player he is running at ,and did not have to turn side on.
BINGO!!!

To me that’s the crux of the matter right there. If he stays front on and they clash heads or Brayshaw is down with chest to head contact (seems unlikely) then it’s really hard to see what else Maynard could have done.

Whether it was deliberate form the get go or a split second decision… Maynard turns and braces for contact with his shoulder and collects the head and knocks him out. Arguably costs Melbourne the game.

IMO that’s a suspension.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 7:40am
Yorkeys wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 12:07am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:06pm If Maynard gets suspended for that the game should become non contact.

If he wanted to clean up Brayshaw he could have ran straight at him.

The fact he jumped showed his intent was to smother.

Very soft if he is rubbed out for that.
What you are arguing is that head injuries are acceptable. That seems against current medical and legal thinking. Probably immoral as well depending on your value system. He wanted to spoil the kick and hurt Brayshaw. He displayed no care for Brayshaw before or after hurting him. If he can't avoid causing major damage he should not be playing.
I disagree with your summation of my argument.

I believe that injuries of any nature are an unavoidable consequence of playing a contact sport.

The AFL has significantly changed the rules to reduce the risk and put the duty of care back on the players, and rightly so.

When you have big, strong, fit and fast men running at the ball and contest it is inevitable that serious injuries will occur. If this is not an acceptable risk, take the contact out of the game.

I doubt any of us can really comment on the intent of Maynard and what went through his mind in that very short period of time.

Watching the footage Maynard appears to try and smother/ block the kick by jumping as Brayshaw kicks it. The momentum of Maynard and Brayshaw bring them together where Maynard braces, tucks his shoulder and collects Brayshaw.

If Maynard’s intent was to hurt Brayshaw, my opinion is he would have straight lined him with his shoulder, not jumped to smother the kick.

I don’t care if he gets suspended for 10 weeks, but I don’t think he should get rubbed out for that incident.

If he does get suspended, what is next?
On Saturday Sharman flies for a mark and knees an opponent in the head doing so and gets rubbed out for concussing the player.

Each to their own opinion, but can’t see how he gets suspended here.
Then there needs to be a send off rule.
Comparing a pack mark contest to Maynard's head on attack where the victim was unprotected is a bit rich.
I know Maynard's intent. He signalled it before the bounce. Guy is an overly aggressive loose cannon and Pies win is a tawdry one.
The eloquent Capt. Moore did not wax lyrical about a brave contest. It was an opportunistic dog act and the consequences for Brayshaw are yet to be known. I also would not be surprised if it's waved through.
Now what if similar happens to Daicos the younger. All shrugs and kind thoughts to the guy whose brain was pulped.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 10:30am
BINGO!!!

To me that’s the crux of the matter right there. If he stays front on and they clash heads or Brayshaw is down with chest to head contact (seems unlikely) then it’s really hard to see what else Maynard could have done.

Whether it was deliberate form the get go or a split second decision… Maynard turns and braces for contact with his shoulder and collects the head and knocks him out. Arguably costs Melbourne the game.

IMO that’s a suspension.
If that's a suspension then the rules need to be changed (again). The natural instinct within a split second of an imminent collision is to hunch the shoulders, and if possible turn to protect the ribs.

Then again, concussion is a hot topic, even at Federal Govt level, and he may well get weeks because of that. If so, another shred has been torn from the fabric of the game.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 11:24am
BINGO!!!

IMO that’s a suspension.
If that's a suspension then the rules need to be changed (again). The natural instinct within a split second of an imminent collision is to hunch the shoulders, and if possible turn to protect the ribs.

Then again, concussion is a hot topic, even at Federal Govt level, and he may well get weeks because of that. If so, another shred has been torn from the fabric of the game.
Look at Paddy Ryder last year turned to protect copped 2.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't get it. If he was a Saints player you'd all be arguing that it was incidental contact and that he shouldn't be sighted. Put your biases aside.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 11:24am
BINGO!!!

IMO that’s a suspension.

Players are also trained to smother oppo players kicks when possible, then if that's not possible, make body contact to stop them getting passed you to the man you left behind.

He clearly turned and braced, he didn't instinctively leap sideways though. It was reckless.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

High Contact, high impact, reckless, Collingwood player = no case.

Really, Maynard chose to jump straight into Brayshaw, and by launching himself into the air which guaranteed that the hit would he high and hard. He also hit him with his shoulder. Brayshaw was in the act of kicking so had no chance of protecting himself or mysteriously jumping out of the way as one complete moron said on the media in defence. I'm surprised that he woke up. It's the dirtiest act in the last decade and deserves 4 weeks. It's as much part of the game as was Big Carl's "bump" on Daryl Peoples in Round 17 of 1966. He got 6 weeks, the Tribunal giving a sentence that ensured he could not play in the finals. Peoples played in Round 18.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Well, I've read every post on this thread. Most of them are swayed by anti-Magpie bias, which erases all traces of rationality. None of the posts, however, have picked-up on Brayshaw's lack of awareness of his surroundings prior to kicking the ball.

He was Gresham-like, his eyes firmly focused on the football and intent of bombing the ball into his foward line until he looked up and had an oh shyte moment just after he kicked.

Maynard, being a defender, had to play his role of trying to prevent the ball going past him. Imagine the abuse he would have copped had he just stood still. Smothering, or attempting to, is an integral part of the game. Without such defensive actions 92,000 people would have stayed home and played video games.

The incident was in the opening minutes of the game and Brayshaw clearly wasn't switched on. He didn't see Maynard until the last moment; too late to brace himself. This is evident by him resembling a rag doll before he even hit the ground.

I'm not blaming Brayshaw for the incident but these are mitigating circumstances that have been overlooked in all of the subsequent venting of spleens.

Saint supporter since '62
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 2:34pm Well, I've read every post on this thread. Most of them are swayed by anti-Magpie bias, which erases all traces of rationality. None of the posts, however, have picked-up on Brayshaw's lack of awareness of his surroundings prior to kicking the ball.

He was Gresham-like, his eyes firmly focused on the football and intent of bombing the ball into his foward line until he looked up and had an oh shyte moment just after he kicked.

Maynard, being a defender, had to play his role of trying to prevent the ball going past him. Imagine the abuse he would have copped had he just stood still. Smothering, or attempting to, is an integral part of the game. Without such defensive actions 92,000 people would have stayed home and played video games.

The incident was in the opening minutes of the game and Brayshaw clearly wasn't switched on. He didn't see Maynard until the last moment; too late to brace himself. This is evident by him resembling a rag doll before he even hit the ground.

I'm not blaming Brayshaw for the incident but these are mitigating circumstances that have been overlooked in all of the subsequent venting of spleens.
Stop being so logical Trev, there is no place for that on this forum.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 2:34pm Well, I've read every post on this thread. Most of them are swayed by anti-Magpie bias, which erases all traces of rationality. None of the posts, however, have picked-up on Brayshaw's lack of awareness of his surroundings prior to kicking the ball.

This is obviously a pisstake.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 3:10pm

This is obviously a pisstake.
Nah mate its real.

Maynard has suffered more deeply than anyone will ever know...and he's risen from the ashes...like a Phoenix....he was buried & dead and like Jesus has arisen.

AFL just announced a new round....Maynards Malady Round.

Me & the lad are booked in for Maynard tats this weekend...that brave bastard changed our lives.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Both the pro and anti suspension camps make valid points and it's hard to say how this will be adjudicated by the MRO.

The comparison to Paddy Ryder's suspension is persuasive but as we're into the finals it may well be that Christian will handpass this hot potato straight to the tribunal for determination.

If Maynard is indeed suspended the Pies will lodge an appeal following which he may well get off, just as happened with Tony Bedford.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
markp
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Brayshaw should be cited for recklessly colliding with Maynard's shoulder.

Or maybe some people think that if you play footy you probably have brain damage anyway, so a little more won't matter.

I say Maynard chose to run and jump at Brayshaw, then chose again (while in mid-air and apparently without choices) to lower his arms, turn his body, and tuck his shoulder (bc he's half a feral dog), which then oh so very unluckily crashed into Brayshaw's head immediately after he had kicked the ball and had zero time to do anything.

Weeks or hypocricy it would seem is the afl's choice... they'll usually choose $ + expediency, but this player welfare CTE thing has really gotten their attention, so $ + expediency in this case might = weeks anyway.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

F him

Skunks

Hope he goes

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 08 Sep 2023 10:00am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 11:22pm Big Maynard fan.

Wish we had him in our side.

Plays hard aggressive football- not dirty and not a thug.
That headbutt says you are wrong. He's a deadset thug all right,
I personally don't think there is any player in the afl that resembles a thug.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Relax its over...Brayshank has tearfully confessed to his wrongdoing, begged forgiveness & will accept a lifetime ban from all ball sports ( note: a variance requested by Brayshanks will allow him to keep a foosball table... after attending a 86 week intensive re-education camp).

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Light reading for the saddists or is it masochists?

TRIBUNAL - AFL https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/docume ... elines.pdf

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the replay he should get off