Top 5 Finals Games Memories......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Top 5 Finals Games Memories......

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Sep 2023 7:02pm Adelaide 05 for me - The Harvey Master Class

Then
North 97
Collingwood 92
Geelong 2010
Yep.

suss
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Sep 2023 7:00pm Just watched the entire Bulldogs 09 Prelim

1) We were a star studded team with half a dozen freaks
2) Umps were important for us
3) Raph Clarke was enormous as was Dawson
4) We had several important role players.
It remains the most intense game of footy off ever seen. I could never watch it again - I just couldn’t sit through it another time even though I know the result.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

* Edits made to this thread. Please refer to the moderation log for further info.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

"Some of the banter was passing the line of good natured and with the rest also detracting from the topic which was still being discussed. May I please request we don’t name drop forumites that aren’t involved in the discussion/s."

mate, i haven't seen the posts referred to so i don't know if you're just extremely understating the case, or extremely moderating. half of the posts here pass the line of good natured. some may come on here just to post drivel but most of us come on here to read drivel and occassionally post it ourselves. it's our virtual pub where conversations naturally wander and sometimes get heated.
if you're sweeping away people's posts in the dark use a very fine brush.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 8:16am "Some of the banter was passing the line of good natured and with the rest also detracting from the topic which was still being discussed. May I please request we don’t name drop forumites that aren’t involved in the discussion/s."

mate, i haven't seen the posts referred to so i don't know if you're just extremely understating the case, or extremely moderating. half of the posts here pass the line of good natured. some may come on here just to post drivel but most of us come on here to read drivel and occassionally post it ourselves. it's our virtual pub where conversations naturally wander and sometimes get heated.
if you're sweeping away people's posts in the dark use a very fine brush.
Thanks for this desertsaint.

I thought one or two of the posts may have led to a report.

On reflection overnight I think my attempt to be proactive was a misfire.

To the forumites effected, may I pls offer an apology. Like good umpiring, I think it’s perhaps better to only pay the obvious ones. Am still trying to figure out the line in terms of intervening and letting it run.

This I should have let run so apologies again :oops:

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I went to the Adelaide 2005 Final, also was at the 1992 v Collingwood and 1997, 2009 Prelims.

2005 in Adelaide is special, it was a gigantic effort. Harvey was awesome, we lost Hamill and Fisher to injuries. Light on for height down back, Thommo sent the G Train to the backline in the final quarter.

I was sitting in the pocket at the end we were defending in that final quarter. As we clung on, came wave after wave of inside 50 thrusts from Adelaide as the partisan crowd roared, our defence under enormous pressure. Yet every time it came in deep in the air , the G Train got to the contest and got in a fist and spoiled. Prowling around in defence, nothing was going to pass him.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The 2004 Semi win against Sydney at a windswept and rain-sodden MCG. When the Cheer Squad's banner was ripped to shreds by the wind and rain prior to the Saints taking the field, I thought it was the most dreadful of omens! The team ran through two poles and a pathetic-looking few shreds of crepe paper! Thankfully the Saints prevailed!

The 2005 Qualifying Final at Moron Park, Adelaide! I travelled overnight from Moorabbin on the Saints bus! Arrived in Adelaide at 6:00 am satdee! I managed to book a hotel room on North Terrace and got some kip! Then saw the magnificent Rob Harvey will us over the line against the Crows!

The 2008 SF win against Colondud! Wonderful to see those reptiles pouring out to the exits well before the final sireen!

The 2009 PF! Enough SAID!!!

The 2010 QF Enough SAID!! (Moron Mooney..."you've just cost us the game"....... suck it the phuck UP!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

In order

1) Goddard mark in last quarter 2010 GF. I think first time ever I actually believed we were going to win a GF
2) Lenny Hayes ironing out Chapman 1st quarter 2010 qualifying final. Was electrifying and I knew from that moment we were on
3) Riewoldt kick off ground in prelim final to put us through to GF.
4 ) Sam Gilbert goal 3rd quarter in 2010 GF. Suddenly it seemed possible. We were rallying and it was bloody exciting
5) Roo running onto ball in last quarter of qualifying final 09. Snapped the goal, crowd went crazy. Capped off a brilliant game by Roo and the Saints. Miserable Pies supporters everywhere

Moods
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sat 02 Sep 2023 11:55pm
B.M wrote: Sat 02 Sep 2023 7:00pm Just watched the entire Bulldogs 09 Prelim

1) We were a star studded team with half a dozen freaks
2) Umps were important for us
3) Raph Clarke was enormous as was Dawson
4) We had several important role players.
It remains the most intense game of footy off ever seen. I could never watch it again - I just couldn’t sit through it another time even though I know the result.

My older brother is a massive doggies fan . After that game during GF week they ( his work) had a meet the coach ( rocket Eade) and they got to ask him questions.

Basically the bulldogs worked out that this was their best game of the season by a large margin. All KPI’s were exceeded and in most cases, smashed. In essence, they threw the kitchen sink at the Saints in that game and then some. Was a momentous win

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Just one ATM

The look on the face of an 11 yo as BJ took the mark to put us in front - thinking we were on the way to the promised land.
Then .......

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
older saint
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Fri 01 Sep 2023 8:21pm https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... PW1WG_M2wj

1. That first final in 1991 after a long drought in the 70's and '80's was memorable because we got to see a great display from Plugger. Unfortunately we lost narrowly to those pricks from Geelong

2. The final the year following in '92 when we beat Collingwood at VFL Park Waverley.

3. The prelim in 97 when we beat North and made the Grand Final gave me bragging rights for the first time against my North mates who were sitting there with me at the game.

4. The Qualifying final against Geelong in 2009

5. The prelim against Bulldogs in 09.
100%the same

B.M
Saintsational Legend

First final in 91 - a loss

Over

A remarkable win in 2005 interstate

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 9:52pm Just one ATM

The look on the face of an 11 yo as BJ took the mark to put us in front - thinking we were on the way to the promised land.
Then .......
it was at that moment i actually believed.
and if there was a god that would've been the moment.
but it wasn't and thus there isn't.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

1971 Prelim. Beat Richmond on their home ground. Dared to dream then, too.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Interestingly, the game vs GWS will be St Kilda's 28th final in the AFL era - taking us past the 27 we played in the VFL era.

It also puts us equal with West Coast and the Western Bulldogs on 55 all time finals - and one behind Fitzroy (yep, Fitzroy have still played more finals than us, despite playing their last in 1986).

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 04 Sep 2023 8:18pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 9:52pm Just one ATM

Then .......
it was at that moment i actually believed.
and if there was a god that would've been the moment.
but it wasn't and thus there isn't.
Hallelujah brother

King Max
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Tue 05 Sep 2023 11:34am Interestingly, the game vs GWS will be St Kilda's 28th final in the AFL era - taking us past the 27 we played in the VFL era.

It also puts us equal with West Coast and the Western Bulldogs on 55 all time finals - and one behind Fitzroy (yep, Fitzroy have still played more finals than us, despite playing their last in 1986).
If we win with Phillipou in the side he will be the first player to win a final who was born after Essendon's last final win.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

On TV

1992 v Collingwood.

Deep in the last.

Sean Ralphsmith has the ball and Collingwood are pushing hard.

Calmly crosses the corridor to Tim Pekin standing on his own in the other pocket/flank.

That was the moment, I knew we were home.

I wasn't used to lateral kicks like this at that stage. It seemed like they were onto something new and that Sean Ralphsmith (whom I thought was a pretty marginal player-and typical of our '80s 3rd world status) was a boss for executing it.

Had watched us lose to Geelong in the final at Waverly the previous week(edit year), and Plugger missing from directly in front, so it was sweet.
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Tue 05 Sep 2023 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

doubole

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!