Who will win and why Gws vs SAINTS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who will win and why Gws vs SAINTS

us

coz thats what is gunna happen

with #'s 10 'n 8 to play absolute blinders
+

i'll get the sh1ts
for the first time this season if we don't

(mitchito ... congratulations on 3rd in the RS)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The media is really pumping up GWS.

3 out of 7 observations are all about GWS.

Really?

When do we ever get so much free coverage?

Bizarre.

https://apple.news/AiLY9jUszTviZTFpyjWeoVg

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

GWS are extremely dangerous and will play with great freedom, taking plenty of risks to move the ball forward at all costs. They are exactly the sort of team that Lyon’s system has always struggled to contain.

But they will also turn the ball over quite often and we simply have to make them pay. If the likes of King and Higgins start missing sitters early on, we might as well pack up and head home.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
BadRossco
Club Player

Hope I am wrong but believe our lack of leg speed and skill level will make a win hard to achieve

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The little I heard in media (a stats analyst) talking on SEN breakfast, said that 65% of the game is won in ‘transition ’ phase of game play. (Whatever that is, I know it is not stoppages) And that GWS has been the best ‘in transition ’ team for the last six weeks of the season.

So I guess we have to be a ‘mass-transit disrupter’ !
MitchO come on! Windy, come on!

We have, apparently, a real weakness statistically speaking, with translating forward entries into scoring opportunities. That was my take on it.

And I don’t know what anyone can do about that.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GWS are unbeatable…

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Wed 30 Aug 2023 8:54pm Everyone here I s a footy expert apart from me and a few others ...and I respect everyone here who has an opinion ..there are very strong footy commentators here and you all can agree and disagree as you do ..which makes this place such a great space.

Play along if you like ...Who will win this final and how will it be done .?
In the midfield is where the dirty work will get done and unfortunately we are putting up a tractor against a Ferrari, could get ugly if Ross doesn't play or have a significant impact as too much will fall to Crouch and Steele, and that's provided Steele can snap out of his form slump and show some flair towards the goals. The finals heat could be a bridge too far for Mitch as he's looked cooked the last few weeks and needs another preseason or more to be capable of going deep into September, same Pou.

If the GWS has a bad day in the midfield then hopefully our forward line can be the difference. Max King is one to watch, he's our marquee man, the one you build a team around, he needs to be built for finals, if he doesn't fire in this game then that will be a real concern.

Our defence is clearly where we have the least of concerns, Hogan is in a rare, and like bloody rare form so hopefully he doesn't get off the chain but our defence is as reliable as a coal fired power station so see midfield and forward line.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Wed 30 Aug 2023 8:54pm Everyone here I s a footy expert apart from me and a few others
Footy tragics and gasbaggers, most of us.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Perhaps we could select a sniper for the game who can get rubbed out.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Lennylegs
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 7:19pm The little I heard in media (a stats analyst) talking on SEN breakfast, said that 65% of the game is won in ‘transition ’ phase of game play. (Whatever that is, I know it is not stoppages) And that GWS has been the best ‘in transition ’ team for the last six weeks of the season.

We have, apparently, a real weakness statistically speaking, with translating forward entries into scoring opportunities. That was my take on it.

Yeah stats on transition during the regular season is all well and good. But this is a final. It'll be a dog fight, with contested possessions and clearance at a premium. If we can break even there, then we'll go a long way to winning the game, as we have a more dynamic forward line and stronger fundamentals defensively.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 11:32pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 7:19pm The little I heard in media (a stats analyst) talking on SEN breakfast, said that 65% of the game is won in ‘transition ’ phase of game play. (Whatever that is, I know it is not stoppages) And that GWS has been the best ‘in transition ’ team for the last six weeks of the season.

Yeah stats on transition during the regular season is all well and good. But this is a final. It'll be a dog fight, with contested possessions and clearance at a premium. If we can break even there, then we'll go a long way to winning the game, as we have a more dynamic forward line and stronger fundamentals defensively.
Would you mind giving me a sense about what ‘transition’ , or ‘transition game’ is…?
Does it mean carrying the ball to another location on the field? i.e. maintaining possession from a back pocket to a forward flank?
Or setting up a new structure …?

I am guessing then former?

Lennylegs
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 01 Sep 2023 1:47am
Lennylegs wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 11:32pm

Would you mind giving me a sense about what ‘transition’ , or ‘transition game’ is…?
Does it mean carrying the ball to another location on the field? i.e. maintaining possession from a back pocket to a forward flank?
Or setting up a new structure …?

I am guessing then former?
My understanding is that it's the ability to move the ball from the back half to the front half. The Giants have been good at this for a while. The Orange Tsunami and all that crap.

What is gonna hold us in good stead is our ability to score off turnover. We've been really good at that this year. But as you said yourself, our ability to convert has been pretty bad. We've gotta take our opportunities!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 6:30pm Hope I am wrong but believe our lack of leg speed and skill level will make a win hard to achieve
I fear this is the case also, mostly through the midfield, if Sebby doesn't get up then it makes it incredibly tough.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 10:43pm Perhaps we could select a sniper for the game who can get rubbed out.
Ole school, love it. Caminiti would be my pick.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

SaintPav wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 8:11pm GWS are unbeatable…
You jest, saintpav?
This is dedicated to all the RTB fanboys.

"In the realms of legendary tales and beyond, there exists a fable about our great coach that shall dispel any doubts and fears. Picture this: in the days of yore, a fierce battle unfolded between two mighty armies, one led by our indomitable coach and the other by the opposition team. The air crackled with tension and anticipation as the clash of titans drew near.

Whispers of doubt and uncertainty echoed through the land, as a fellow supporter dares to proclaim the opposition team as unbeatable. But little did they know the unwavering resolve and strategic brilliance of our revered coach. In a moment of inspiration, our coach descended upon the pitch with a magnetizing aura, commanding the team with pure charisma.

As the battle commenced, it seemed as though the opposition's supremacy could not be challenged. But our coach, with an unyielding spirit, orchestrated miraculous tactics that defied all expectations. A whisper spread through the battlefield, proclaiming our team's rallying cry. Legends were born that day, as our players channeled their skills like never before, each touch of the ball an echo of our coach's wisdom and strength.

With relentless determination, our team not only matched but surpassed the opposition in sheer artistry and skill. The stadium shook with thunderous applause as our coach's genius unraveled a symphony of breathtaking plays. Our team's invincibility became undeniable as the opposition gasped in awe and disbelief.

For it is in these moments when legends are forged, where mere mortals transcend their limitations and soar on the wings of greatness. Through the legacy of our magnificent coach, who defies odds and masters the impossible, victory shall be ours. So, my fellow supporter, fear not the unbeatable tales spun by others, for our coach shall etch another chapter of legend on the hallowed stage of victory!"

We have this Battle, and I'm not Josh-ing.
Lyon will be lionised in the annals/anals of history.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 30 Aug 2023 11:17pm
samuraisaint wrote: Wed 30 Aug 2023 10:34pm Best defense in the league wins most finals. And that's us.

We have a very solid side which is even. We just don't have any passengers. It will be close, but I expect us to win.
Yeah but our #1 defence is offset a bit by our #15 offence 😅

If King, Membrey, Butler etc can fire it’ll make it very hard for GWS
To be fair though, we've rarely had our forward line all season. The GWS better brace for a red, white and black tsunami!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’m never ever confident about a Saints win… have no idea if it’s a good or bad omen but for whatever reason, I feel really good about this game.

We have the best defence on the league… and I’m going to be honest, King, Membrey, Butler and Higgins is dangerous. Looking at our other avenues for goal - Owens,Gresh, Wood, Coops/Hayes… I back out forwards to their mids.

The challenge is of course their midfield… but if we can just be competitive then I reckon our defence will clean up and provide us a lot of extra run resulting in our forwards having a lot of opportunity.

A Saints forward is going to get off the leash IMO
King a good candidate… Membrey a Smokey returning to form and after having leaner patches, this is exactly the kind of game where a Higgins or Butler could blow it apart with 4 goals out of nowhere.

My prediction is a decent, 26 point win

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Saints 76 defeat GWS 59

Crossy66
Club Player

The difference will be our pressure. Last game we brought the heat, they over handballed or long bombed a kick and we got the turnover.
Members back is massive for our structure, also chito was killing it before getting subbed out .
We should expect to win but if we allow them to execute their skills with no pressure, it's going to be togh

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If you look at how our Round 10 vs the Giants went:

- Our midfield was beaten: even though we won the hit outs 40-31, GWS won the clearances 42-30.
- However Steele and Crouch had pretty strong games: Steele got 25 possessions and made 11 tackles and Crouch 19 possessions and 7 tackles. For whatever reason, Ross managed only 12 possessions and 2 tackles.
- And we won the inside 50s 59-49, presumably indicative of a lot of turnovers by them, as were the high possession games of Sinclair (37) and NWM (29)
- Owens was knocked out in that dreadful incident before half time and replaced by Paton, who didn't make a significant impact
- the playing surface was appalling, which perhaps helped our defensive style of game more than it helped their kamikaze style of hard running and rapid ball movement

GWS has perhaps improved a tad since then, with impressive wins over the Cats at Kardinia Park, Demons in Alice Springs, Crows at the Adelaide Oval and then their convincing win against the Blues in Rd 24.

And we might have improved a bit too: our win against them in Rd 10 was near the start of a run of very poor form on our part, including a flogging by the Crows in Adelaide and then a run in Rds 11-19 that featured losses to Hawthorn, the Tigers, Lions and Demons plus embarrassingly narrow wins against the easybeats the Eagles and the Roos. Our solid win against the Swans at the SCG was a bright spot in a period of more than 2 months during which we did not look very much like a top 8 side. But I reckon our form has lifted since we squeaked home against the Roos in Rd 19.

So I reckon we're in this with a good chance. But, as I said in my earlier post, when GWS give us chances from turnovers - as they inevitably will, given how they play - we have to make the best of them we can. Or else the GWS tsunami will drown us before half time.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think the pre finals bye has helped us more than them. King will be back, possibly Ross, Battle will get up.

GWS were flying and have now had to cool their jets. I think that's in our favour.

I am expecting big games from Wood, Hill, NWM and Sincs. It is their run on the expanses of the G that will be our weapon. The forwards just need to find separation and the ball will find them.

Saints by 3 goals. Butler, Higgins and Gresham to kick two goals each which counters Greene's 3 which equates to our 3 goal win. Simples.

The first of 4 wins in a row!

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 30 Aug 2023 10:34pm Best defense in the league wins most finals. And that's us.

We have a very solid side which is even. We just don't have any passengers. It will be close, but I expect us to win.

Not so much about King, Membrey, Butler etc firing, rather how our mids deliver it inside 50 and then how well we keep it there.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 3:01pm

Not so much about King, Membrey, Butler etc firing, rather how our mids deliver it inside 50 and then how well we keep it there.
St Kilda can’t deliver into, or convert from F50 according to stats. Ranked 18th for delivery and something lowly -th for conversion. And GWS ranked second for defence.

However, as has been pointed out, the home and away stats may mean little in a chaotic finals slugfest and guessing our F50 in this game is a crap shoot.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

3 words

"Hunt the footy"

Get hands on it first. Win it and handle it cleanly. Support each other and back yourselves boys

You can do it

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Tom Greenis the biggest concern imo

His ability to win it at the source and get it out to runners Kelly, Whitfield ans Ash

Their small forwards are also dangerous
And I’m not just taking about Toby
Bedford and Lloyd