Final V GWS Friday night (Sportsbet said) but now Saturday 3.20pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Final V GWS Friday night (Sportsbet said) but now Saturday 3.20pm

Officially announced as Saturday 9th September at 3.20pm at the MCG.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

A home final at an away venue.

Only the AFL could justify that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 8:56am A home final at an away venue.

Really??????

We were only 2 goals from having to book flights to Sydney - take the win

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 9:01am

Really??????

Righto so we have to pay homage even though we earn't a home final.

amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 9:16am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 9:01am

Really??????

Righto so we have to pay homage even though we earn't a home final.
Again, going by your logic, if it was Geelong versus st Kilda in the first week and geelong were the highest ranked team, you would be happy with that game at kardinia park?

We are playing a team in our home state at the ground where you have to win to be successful, in the middle of the day on a Saturday, with an extra day of recovery compared to our opposition (not that it really matters with the bye, apart from giving battle extra time with his concussion). But of course the AFL is screwing us.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure that I would put it in terms of the AFL screwing us. But I do think it's odd that 6 of the teams playing finals could have had games at their home ground (although Sydney and the Giants won't because of where they finished) and 2 (Carlton and us) can't. Kardinia Park is clearly too small for finals football, as is the Giants Stadium IMO (although finals football has been played there: and they might as well have played the games at a school ground for the number of fans who showed up). Metricon Stadium was used for finals football in the unusual circumstances of 2020, but I think it's also a little on the small side.

But Marvel Stadium, has a great atmosphere, holds 50k odd fans and is surely entirely suitable for finals football. So why can't Carlton, the Saints - and (when they qualify) the Dogs, the Bombers and the Roos - host their finals there? Given the paucity of Giants fans, the MCG will seem pretty empty in a fortnight's time and lack atmosphere.

I assume that the AFL is saving money by using only one ground in Melbourne. It's the only plausible explanation.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 9:57am I'm not sure that I would put it in terms of the AFL screwing us. But I do think it's odd that 6 of the teams playing finals could have had games at their home ground (although Sydney and the Giants won't because of where they finished) and 2 (Carlton and us) can't. Kardinia Park is clearly too small for finals football, as is the Giants Stadium IMO (although finals football has been played there: and they might as well have played the games at a school ground for the number of fans who showed up). Metricon Stadium was used for finals football in the unusual circumstances of 2020, but I think it's also a little on the small side.

But Marvel Stadium, has a great atmosphere, holds 50k odd fans and is surely entirely suitable for finals football. So why can't Carlton, the Saints - and (when they qualify) the Dogs, the Bombers and the Roos - host their finals there? Given the paucity of Giants fans, the MCG will seem pretty empty in a fortnight's time and lack atmosphere.

I assume that the AFL is saving money by using only one ground in Melbourne. It's the only plausible explanation.
The Golf is at Marvel

But aside from that - I would not be surprised if more than 50k attend - and do you want to say no to MORE Saints fans getting a ticket?

Besides we moan about not getting enough opportunities to play the G - it is where we need to win the big one

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 9:57am I'm not sure that I would put it in terms of the AFL screwing us. But I do think it's odd that 6 of the teams playing finals could have had games at their home ground (although Sydney and the Giants won't because of where they finished) and 2 (Carlton and us) can't. Kardinia Park is clearly too small for finals football, as is the Giants Stadium IMO (although finals football has been played there: and they might as well have played the games at a school ground for the number of fans who showed up). Metricon Stadium was used for finals football in the unusual circumstances of 2020, but I think it's also a little on the small side.

Except that the AFL owns Marvel so you'd think they would save money playing there. However, as Sainter Dad said they have booked golf in at Marvel (a bit stupid really)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A putt putt tournament was preferred over an AFL final.

Let that sink in.

Nice one Gil.

Muppet.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 8:10am Officially announced as Saturday 9th September at 3.20pm at the MCG.
Perfect. MCG is the biggest of stages, and we dont get many games there.Hopefully it will be good weather.
Great to be playing a home final.
Not many tipped that at the start of the year.
Let's go Saints!!

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
BadRossco
Club Player

Probably the worst outcome for us, playing a quick team on the wide open spaces of the MCG will highlight our lack of pace. I would have taken the Swans on the SCG every day of the week

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 10:15am Except that the AFL owns Marvel so you'd think they would save money playing there.
I am assuming that revenue fro the mini-golf will defray some of the operational costs (on the basis that a lot of staffing and other costs at Marvel are ore or less fixed for the entire AFL season). It's probable that, given the inevitable uncertainty as to how many finals games will end up being played in Melbourne - it's theoretically possible that it could end up only being the GF - the AFL has concluded that it is wasteful to keep two grounds in Melbourne open for football post the end of home and away.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Finals are played at the MCG. I'm happy playing there. Anyway, the Docklands is a really fast track that GWS played well yesterday.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda have never won an Elimination Final at the MCG.

GWS have never played an Elimination Final at the MCG.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

FFS the mental fragility, sooking and whinging, constant whining and excuse making by sections of supporters is never ending! Hopefully there are none of these kinds of characters down at the club, and if there are Ross is using this ‘year of exploration’ to drive them out!

What’s he say, ‘anybody anytime anywhere’ or something like that?

We’ve won plenty of finals (except the big one 😭) at the MCG over recent years, including 97, 09 and 10. We’ve played one final at Marvel and guess the result!

Everyone knows this is the deal going in to every season, move on!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Still an illogical decision by the AFL.

Can't help thinking that the expansion club has been looked after here. Had it been us versus Freo I suspect it would have been at Docklands

Personally, I think any finals we can play at the MCG can only benefit us in the future, so I'm not really fussed.

Either way, we're going to have our hands full playing our pedestrian midfield versus the GWS fast moving, elite skilled midfield. Tactically, thank goodness we have Ross Lyon in charge

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 11:58am Still an illogical decision by the AFL.

Can't help thinking that the expansion club has been looked after here. Had it been us versus Freo I suspect it would have been at Docklands

Personally, I think any finals we can play at the MCG can only benefit us in the future, so I'm not really fussed.

Either way, we're going to have our hands full playing our pedestrian midfield versus the GWS fast moving, elite skilled midfield. Tactically, thank goodness we have Ross Lyon in charge

As long as the club gets the choice. If they wanted the MCG I'm fine but we shouldn't be forced there.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

My understanding of the commitments made between the AFL, the MCG and the state government relating to the funding of the reconstruction of first, the Northern Stand (2002), and then, the Southern Stand (2018), is that all Victorian finals will be played at the MCG, with the possible exception of the first week, if all four hosting teams are Victorian. A decision would then be made as to whether Docklands would host a final. The exception to this "rule" was negotiated for 2020 and 2021 due to Covid restrictions that would have applied to attendance levels at the MCG had the agreement been enforced. There was an agreement to extend the number of years that the Grand Final must be held at the MCG out to 2058 (from 2057).
Last edited by perfectionist on Mon 28 Aug 2023 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 10:03am

The Golf is at Marvel

But aside from that - I would not be surprised if more than 50k attend - and do you want to say no to MORE Saints fans getting a ticket?

Besides we moan about not getting enough opportunities to play the G - it is where we need to win the big one
"Anywhere any time!" - I'm just bloody glad to be in the finals and still celebrating we don't have to travel.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

From 2007-2011 and last season Geelong played all their home finals (including some against us) at the MCG, and it didn’t seem to hold them back. I doubt anyone on here was complaining they were unfairly done by.

Time for excuses is over, time to become ruthless.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

GWS can play knowing that no one will be suspended

I was just remembering Paddy Ryder’s suspension last week - and boiling in fury about it!

But for GWS - they will be ferocious and bring intense heat..
Their coach already looks like a boiler about to explode at the best of times.
They will be brutal.
Good thing that Brad Hill is rather made like a bouncy ball..but he will need to duck fast- or he will be caught and forced to fast kick or to 😷 cough.

GWS has a great defence

Our forward set up is - well? What forward set up?

Seems rather random..which ironically maybe hard for them to match up because they can’t plan for it..

So it might be a coaches game - which coaching panel adapts and make the right choices.

Do we start like a massive spring and calmly receive their pressure and can we hold it, or will we be broken open.?

Or do we charge out of the gates and try and pile on a big first quarter lead?

When their changes come, will we adapt? What do you define as the perfect sub for an elimination final??

I don’t think it’s a Ronnie Byrnes, but who knows?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

- GWS played once on the MCG this season for a 65 point loss to Collingwood.
- Essendon played them into form. False form.
- GWS had several arsey close wins and copped a Carlton playing funny buggers. Lucky to be in the 8. Dogs blew it big time.
- GWS has a first year coach.
- GWS song is rubbish and should never be sung at the home of Footy.
We are well placed as long as we turn up.
In any case exposing Phillipou, Windhager, Owens, King, NWM to finals atmosphere, Seb getting one, is a good payday.
Higgins has to fire, surely.

darylcowie
Club Player

I wish that Sydney were playing us at Marvel, just for the pure irony associated with Lyon's farewell game as our coach in 2011!
As for playing GWS at the MCG, I think this actually suits them less than playing them at Marvel based on perceived GWS performances at both venues this season.
Someone else suggested that Skoda Stadium is too small for finals, but in another potential ironic twist it may have suited us better than either Melbourne venue!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
StPeter
Club Player

The AFL is contractually obliged to have a certain number of finals at the MCG and there were some games to be made up following the period of covid lockdowns when most games not at MCG.
I would think this agreement dates back to before the AFL owned Marvel stadium. I would imagine the AFL would be financially better off with the game at Marvel, especially with a crowd size that Marvel could probably hold.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 2:01pm
- GWS song is rubbish and should never be sung at the home of Footy.
That in itself is more than enough motivation to win