Top Heavy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Top Heavy?

Anyone else think we went in against Brisbane with too many talls?

The game changed when a running player, Byrnes, came on for Battle.

We had Cordy Wilkie, Battle down back, with Hayes, Membrey Sharman as the tall forwards.
But we also have Owens and the Pou who are hybrid forwards who compete in the air and are relatively tall.  

IMO we were smashed by Brisbane in the middle of the ground, constantly outnumbered and out ran..
Early in the year we were a hard running team... now we have lost that and I think it is partly because we have 1 too many talls.

Next week I would do:
Ins: Ross Byrnes King
Outs: Hayes, Clark (cant run hard enough) Sharman

Bring the run back into the team..
If we are concerned about a tall going down injured, play Sharman as Sub

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Top Heavy?

I think less about team balance and more about a few individuals down on output, and they all happen to be smaller runners.

Hill, Higgins, and Butler couldn't get into the game.

Crouch and Steele reduced output.

BadRossco
Club Player

Bit off the mark calling Higgins, Crouch and Steele small runners none of them could run out of sight on a dark night

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

In answer to the original question, no.

Did you think Brisbane didn't have enough talls? No, neither did I.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Have a look at this video. Hayes and Owens look to be the same height.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/1416670 ... 3049132001

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 10:02pm Bit off the mark calling Higgins, Crouch and Steele small runners none of them could run out of sight on a dark night
Well they're not "top heavy"

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 11:17am Have a look at this video. Hayes and Owens look to be the same height.

Interesting, although Owens is more in the foreground than Hayes, so it might be an illusion.

According to official data, which I assume was taken at the start of the season, Hayes is 3cm taller than Owens: but had Owens stopped growing at that time?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I always get a bit of a shock when I see the heights of modern footballers. At 194cm, Hayes would probably considered by most as being a little over medium-sized.

I'm 182 cm, and was considered tall when I was in my teens and twenties. But that's how tall Dan Butler is, and he's a "small"!

I blame the hormones in the chicken.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 11:17am Have a look at this video. Hayes and Owens look to be the same height.

An optical illusion I think due to camera angles. Hayes is listed as taller and is definitely more mature-bodied.

I hear he worked very, very hard to get back.

I like him. If both he and Max play, it gives us two key-forward-sized key forwards. Then Membrey or Sharman as third tall.

It releases Owens to midfield, where we can surely use him to address our clearance problems. What was it, 62 to 38? I forget the exact figures, but it was a pretty comprehensive defeat in that area.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 11:34am I always get a bit of a shock when I see the heights of modern footballers. At 194cm, Hayes would probably considered by most as being a little over medium-sized.

I'm 182 cm, and was considered tall when I was in my teens and twenties. But that's how tall Dan Butler is, and he's a "small"!

I'm 5'10" and my son is 6'3"....and all his mates are about the same.....something has happened in the food chain

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 29 Aug 2023 11:30am
meher baba wrote: Mon 28 Aug 2023 11:34am I always get a bit of a shock when I see the heights of modern footballers. At 194cm, Hayes would probably considered by most as being a little over medium-sized.

I'm 5'10" and my son is 6'3"....and all his mates are about the same.....something has happened in the food chain
My dad would have said, 'I'd hanging around the post-office looking for the 6'3"+ postie'

older saint
SS Life Member

SuperDuper wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 4:34am Anyone else think we went in against Brisbane with too many talls?

The game changed when a running player, Byrnes, came on for Battle.

We had Cordy Wilkie, Battle down back, with Hayes, Membrey Sharman as the tall forwards.
But we also have Owens and the Pou who are hybrid forwards who compete in the air and are relatively tall.  

IMO we were smashed by Brisbane in the middle of the ground, constantly outnumbered and out ran..
Early in the year we were a hard running team... now we have lost that and I think it is partly because we have 1 too many talls.

Next week I would do:
Ins: Ross Byrnes King
Outs: Hayes, Clark (cant run hard enough) Sharman

Bring the run back into the team..
If we are concerned about a tall going down injured, play Sharman as Sub
Regarding the first part of your post no with Sharman as the 3rd tall, however if you replace King with Sharman would agree, and has been my reasoning for not having a second ruck. The concept of tall forward now days is as much about mobility as it is about about cm's and pressure when the ball hits the ground.

Note we also played one of the top 3 teams, with a top midfield on their own paddock.

Reg changes the sub needs to add spark IMO and not sure Sharman can do that if say a Hill goes down.

To me :
In: King
Out : Hayes
Byrnes sub

IF and huge if Ross fit - the fact he re did it seems to say be over cautious- then probably clark or Stocker out and moves to sub.