Mass exodus

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: Mass exodus

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 1:59pm
damienc wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 1:47pm
B.M wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2023 11:13pm Is what I’m hearing

The word is
Gresham - gone
Clark - gone
Billings- gone
Coffield - gone
Jones - gone

Howard - maybe gone?

About 4 kids gone too
Adams, Allison, Connolly, Bytel

In
Dow, J Silvagni, and a buck of 3rd and 4th rounders
I am at a loss as to why you’ve been so strongly criticised for venturing this opinion.

Especially when it has a degree of logic.

Gresham, has not been re signed and unlikely to be. He won’t be at the club next year.

The Billings story is a combination of injury at crucial times and a perceived lack of desire to win contested footy. I don’t think the coach is a fan. Still unsigned. Doubt whether he will be at the club next year.

Zac Jones, his body won’t stand up to the rigours of the modern game, in the very much doubtful category.

Tom Campbell, not needed.

Coffield, again injury means we never saw the best of him and now others have gone past him.

Howard simply hasn’t played as if he’s worth $600,000 a year. No longer a vital component in defence.

Adams and Allison, simply not good enough. Never played AFL never likely to. No loss.

Bytel, too slow. Connolly again has a weakness with the defensive side to his game. It’s a shame because I really hoped he would succeed.

Daniel Mackenzie. Fantastic player when he plays which is sadly not very often because of injury. If he gets cut that will really hurt because I rate him. But I I understand why the club might let him go.

Members getting close to end of use by date especially with the club wanting to go the draft. I personally hope he stays but would understand if the club parts ways with him.

Paton’s future you would have to say is in doubt. He used to be permanently in the side until that terrible injury he suffered. Has never completely regained his form and consequently in and out of the side.

RTB is clearly building the side around the new young players and the draft.

Would not surprise me if there is a huge clean out just surprised at those not surprised this could happen.
DC - you’re one of the brighter poster on here but this is lazy. Billings is contracted until 2025 and isn’t going anywhere - https://www.afl.com.au/news/676916/sain ... r-to-go-on
You are right of course. I realised my mistake after I’d written it and it’s been corrected. Not lazy, just forgot he signed a four year deal in 2021.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My personal take… on preference

Gresh simply lacks the class to be effective in the role that he plays. If he was a better finisher, you could excuse the rest or if he just had the composure to square other players up more often and effectively, he’d be a gun. But it seems like over time, he’s doing that less and less. I like him but if you get a decent offer… it’s mighty tempting. Especially if he’s committed to an overs pay check.

2 of Billings, Jones and Dmac need to go. Can’t have 3 highly injure prone players on the list. Of that list, Billings is the only one contracted and can pbly slot straight in to Gresh’a spot so though I’m not a fan… I’d keep

Clark and Coffield to me are essential players

Dougal’s value has plummeted as Cordy is looking like a no frills, as good quality version.

Dow will be an upgrade to Bytel whose papers are stamped

And I say no to Silvagni

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 1:47pm
B.M wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2023 11:13pm Is what I’m hearing

The word is
Gresham - gone
Clark - gone
Billings- gone
Coffield - gone
Jones - gone

Howard - maybe gone?

About 4 kids gone too
Adams, Allison, Connolly, Bytel

In
Dow, J Silvagni, and a buck of 3rd and 4th rounders
I am at a loss as to why you’ve been so strongly criticised for venturing this opinion.

Especially when it has a degree of logic.

Gresham, has not been re signed and unlikely to be. He won’t be at the club next year. I think he wants to leave.

Hunter Clark. An enigma. Thought he was gone last year but he stayed. A skilful player but doesn’t particularly like hard work. That would not make the coach like him. I hope he stays but not surprised if he goes.

The Billings story is a combination of injury at crucial times and a perceived lack of desire to win contested footy. I don’t think the coach is a fan. Signed until 2025 but it was before Ross was appointed. Doubt whether he will be at the club next year.

Zac Jones, his body won’t stand up to the rigours of the modern game, in the very much doubtful category.

Tom Campbell, not needed.

Coffield, again injury means we never saw the best of him and now others have gone past him.

Howard simply hasn’t played as if he’s worth $600,000 a year. No longer a vital component in defence.

Adams and Allison, simply not good enough. Never played AFL never likely to. No loss.

Bytel, too slow. Connolly again has a weakness with the defensive side to his game. It’s a shame because I really hoped he would succeed.

Daniel Mackenzie. Fantastic player when he plays which is sadly not very often because of injury. If he gets cut that will really hurt because I rate him. But I I understand why the club might let him go.

Members getting close to end of use by date especially with the club wanting to go the draft. I personally hope he stays but would understand if the club parts ways with him.

Paton’s future you would have to say is in doubt. He used to be permanently in the side until that terrible injury he suffered. Has never completely regained his form and consequently in and out of the side.

RTB is clearly building the side around the new young players and the draft.

Would not surprise me if there is a huge clean out just surprised at those not surprised this could happen.
Because it wasn't originally positioned as opinion.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 8:12am
mad saint guy wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 3:02am I could definitely see Paton playing 150 very solid games in his best role of shutdown small defender at another club. That is unless he's genuinely still compromised from the broken leg. Quite a strange fall from grace - he was an absolute lock in our starting 18 pre injury.
Paton played some pretty good footy earlier in the season, but probably has to compete with Windy and Stocker for a spot.
He just doesn't look as assured and agile as he did pre injury. When Paton had the footy before the broken leg you could rest easy knowing it was going to be used well but since then he's been quite clanger-prone. Defensively he's getting beaten more as well.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

High volume turnover of our bottom 6-10 on the list using the back end of the draft is a strategy I haven't seen used before.

There are always good players that come out of the back end of the draft but with a good development team and quick turnover if they're not going to make it, could be the winning strategy.

The strategy of taken proven duds and hoping they'd change doesn't work.

If we have a specific need then yes, but no more HBF/HFF type players please.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 8:27am High volume turnover of our bottom 6-10 on the list using the back end of the draft is a strategy I haven't seen used before.

There are always good players that come out of the back end of the draft but with a good development team and quick turnover if they're not going to make it, could be the winning strategy.

The strategy of taken proven duds and hoping they'd change doesn't work.

If we have a specific need then yes, but no more HBF/HFF type players please.
I like the high turnover of the bottom spots idea.

Fits in well with a high performance culture.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 3:21am
mad saint guy wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 3:02am I could definitely see Paton playing 150 very solid games in his best role of shutdown small defender at another club. That is unless he's genuinely still compromised from the broken leg. Quite a strange fall from grace - he was an absolute lock in our starting 18 pre injury.
Paton played some pretty good footy earlier in the season, but probably has to compete with Windy and Stocker for a spot.
He just doesn't look as assured and agile as he did pre injury. When Paton had the footy before the broken leg you could rest easy knowing it was going to be used well but since then he's been quite clanger-prone. Defensively he's getting beaten more as well.
I love your posts MSG and really take notice when you post. I recognise he's turned the ball over and struggled to find the right option all the time but let's be fair and say, so has Webster and Stocker. Defensively, I still doubt either of those two are as good.

If we lose him, a club will be very happy & our small forwards will be very unhappy.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 7:06pm
I love your posts MSG and really take notice when you post. I recognise he's turned the ball over and struggled to find the right option all the time but let's be fair and say, so has Webster and Stocker. Defensively, I still doubt either of those two are as good.

If we lose him, a club will be very happy & our small forwards will be very unhappy.
He was building very nicely before the broken leg as a very solid defender who also rebounded well.

Definitely an upgrade on Stocker when at his best.

Can he get back there is the question, getting over an injury so severe and returning to your best can take a couple of years.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
lewdogs
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 12:18pm

He was building very nicely before the broken leg as a very solid defender who also rebounded well.

Can he get back there is the question, getting over an injury so severe and returning to your best can take a couple of years.
There's no way Paton is an upgrade on Stocker. Stocker is a bull.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 12:20pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 12:18pm

There's no way Paton is an upgrade on Stocker. Stocker is a bull.
Pre broken leg I'd have Paton over Stocker any day of the week.

Stocker is tough and committed, but a C grade AFL level player IMO.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Paton has always had questionable disposal. Stocker is a far better exit kick. Small forward need to be exceptionally quick, agile and good shots, to damage us.

Power forwards have been our problem.

We used to praise Geary, then Paton.

Now we don't really have one because our system of defence is better.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Now the HA season is done

Which of the named players are definitely staying?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The ones that are not definitely going.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I might humbly suggest that the thread title has a connotation of a walkout by a large group of players,
which is actually not what the OP was saying and most posters were agreeing with.
There will be at least 6 new players next season
some will be moved on by the Club
some (not many I guess) will want to leave
some will be offered more by other clubs than we value them at and go

But to characterise what will transpire as a mass walkout is IMHO wrong.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 4:10pm I might humbly suggest that the thread title has a connotation of a walkout by a large group of players,
which is actually not what the OP was saying and most posters were agreeing with.
There will be at least 6 new players next season
some will be moved on by the Club
some (not many I guess) will want to leave
some will be offered more by other clubs than we value them at and go

But to characterise what will transpire as a mass walkout is IMHO wrong.
Our game in the finals may also decide the fate of a few players, need to weed out the players who can’t stand up when the heat is on which is our Achilles heel.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

In your opinion

There will be a mass exodus - either caused by the club wanting to move them on

Delistings, trades (Billings, Howard) or players wanting out (Coffield, Gresham, Clark)

And do NOT be surprised if Steele is shopped, not sure Ross is a fan and definitely hasn’t been impressed this season.

I reckon closer to 10 changes

That’s a quarter of the list

B.M
Saintsational Legend

noun. a going out; a departure or emigration, usually of a large number of people:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 5:00pm Yes

In your opinion

Delistings, trades (Billings, Howard) or players wanting out (Coffield, Gresham, Clark)

And do NOT be surprised if Steele is shopped, not sure Ross is a fan and definitely hasn’t been impressed this season.

It needs to be at least 10 but probably would be too much to get that done in one trade period

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 5:00pm Yes

In your opinion

Are you mad!
How can you turn over that many players in one preseason. It's nonsensical.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think the correct term you’re looking for is :-
Exit
and not Exodus

Exit as in leaving no matter the reason

Exodus usually is used when people leave of their own accord

Semantics I know but you chose the term (maybe mistakenly?) when you composed the thread title and everything you’ve posted since on the thread shows the title should have been :-
Mass Exit

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 5:46pm I think the correct term you’re looking for is :-
Exit
and not Exodus

Semantics I know but you chose the term (maybe mistakenly?) when you composed the thread title and everything you’ve posted since on the thread shows the title should have been :-
Mass Exit
+1

silverhalo
Club Player

There were whispers that we were into Paddy Dow, I hope that's not true; the guy is as slow as treacle and gets caught just about every time he has possession. Never more obvious than in today's high stakes / high pressure game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 5:46pm I think the correct term you’re looking for is :-
Exit
and not Exodus

Mass Exit

Could it also have been Mass Debate?

Killa
Club Player

Given we have so many players not up to AFL standard according to the experts on here and that the rest all want to exit the underperforming Club, I would look to trade Marshall, Sinclair, Steele and Wilkie because they are all now in the later stages of their careers plus Hill for the purpose of securing the first 5 Draft picks in the upcoming Draft

Then we will win the premiership next year

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 10:00pm Given we have so many players not up to AFL standard according to the experts on here and that the rest all want to exit the underperforming Club, I would look to trade Marshall, Sinclair, Steele and Wilkie because they are all now in the later stages of their careers plus Hill for the purpose of securing the first 5 Draft picks in the upcoming Draft

Then we will win the premiership next year
How many sippers did you have before you wrote your hilarious post. :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.