The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

ctqs wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 8:16pm For all of those asking "why should they have to come out" etc, the real question is why can't they be themselves publicly?
That very well may be the case for some players but my example the person is themselves publicly, they are a private person, and the journo is basicly thats not right because they want a public figure.

ctqs
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 8:27pm
ctqs wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 8:16pm For all of those asking "why should they have to come out" etc, the real question is why can't they be themselves publicly?
That very well may be the case for some players but my example the person is themselves publicly, they are a private person, and the journo is basicly thats not right because they want a public figure.
Maybe and if that's the case then fair enough. But give them the option, at least. That's obviously not the case at the moment.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 8:16pm For all of those asking "why should they have to come out" etc, the real question is why can't they be themselves publicly? Why should they have to hide the one they love? Why should they have to worry about turning up to a function with their partner on their arm? Why can't they post "couples moments" on social media? The reason is because they don't feel like they can without fear of some sort of retribution or backlash. And that is appalling. We need to make changes so they can feel comfortable enough to enjoy the basic human rights we take for granted.
Precisely.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Rubyjo
Club Player

bulls*** the only people concerned is the media making a s*** storm about it ..will only be reported and photographed by the media ...no one else cares ...I t s just a story to get media hits ..

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:15pm
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 6:22pm
Sainternist wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 10:56pm Did anyone see Monday night’s episode of 4 Corners?

I just watched it on iview. And I gotta say, it’s a slightly troubling report. I realise the issue makes a few people in this forum uncomfortable, but I couldn’t care less. I, for one, think it’s an abomination that the AFL is a professional sporting league where any player who is gay can’t feel comfortable about who they are and has to live his public life in the closet.

According to 4 Corners journalist Louise Milligan, none of the clubs in the AFL were comfortable in discussing the issue with her during the production of the story. I feel slightly disappointed with the St.Kilda F.C. for being one of those clubs. After all, we have been one of the clubs to participate in the Pride Match since 2016. Geez! Even the likes of Eddie McGuire has been a proponent over the years in wanting to stamp out homophobia in our game!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-21/ ... /102757092
NO ONE CARES WHO JACK STEELE f****!
There are rumours around about several players who most in the industry know that they are gay. Jack Steele is NOT one of them

I don’t understand what you're trying to tell us. Try and learn how to communicate a message you wish to convey.

No one cares for your shouting f***wit.
Now that two Collingwood players shared a kiss on the MCG tonight ,just a great time to be alive

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It was double sided European style kisses. I think it was a goal celebration thing

It was between several players

It wasn't a passionate kiss between two individuals

It wasn't even a romantic kiss like the public kisses we've seen in AFLW

Last edited by Scollop on Sat 26 Aug 2023 2:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctqs
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 10:55pm bulls*** the only people concerned is the media making a s*** storm about it ..will only be reported and photographed by the media ...no one else cares ...I t s just a story to get media hits ..
Good one, d**khead. The media already know who they gay players are and they have for decades. They don't report it because it's nobody's business. This is about the players feeling comfortable enough to live their lives like everyone else. They obviously don't feel comfortable enough to be seen in public with their partners because of the flak they feel they'll cop from the knuckledraggers. Look at the grief Dani Laidley copped and still does with smart-arse remarks by keyboard cowards on social media.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 2:32am
Rubyjo wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 10:55pm bulls*** the only people concerned is the media making a s*** storm about it ..will only be reported and photographed by the media ...no one else cares ...I t s just a story to get media hits ..
Good one, d**khead. The media already know who they gay players are and they have for decades. They don't report it because it's nobody's business. This is about the players feeling comfortable enough to live their lives like everyone else. They obviously don't feel comfortable enough to be seen in public with their partners because of the flak they feel they'll cop from the knuckledraggers. Look at the grief Dani Laidley copped and still does with smart-arse remarks by keyboard cowards on social media.
'Good one d**khead' That should invite an open discussion. Knuckledraggers come in all shapes, sizes and sexual preferences, I'd imagine.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 11:57pm It was double sided European style kisses. I think it was a goal celebration thing

What about Ray Biffen planting one smack on the lips of our own Trevor Barker at the start of a match to put him, off his game :D

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

the boys who rode bikes
used to do it
to shock the 'straighties'

made me laugh

no one , and i mean no one , was ever brave enough to call those boys poofters

quite the laugh

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

tongue down throat style

no mucking around

ahhhh

saynta
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 1:00pm the boys who rode bikes
used to do it

made me laugh

quite the laugh
Yep, and have sex with their cell mates and still expect us to believe that they are straight.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 10:02am Milligan?
I’d prefer a Mulligan
ABC left wing hatchet jobs - thank **** Saints said no thanks
There’ll be a QA episode soon, stacked audience with media watch denigrating anyone who disagrees
Privatise the rubbish - half them wouldn’t get jobs in mainstream media
Maybe you should go and privatise your brain!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Borat
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Aug 2023 11:57pm It was double sided European style kisses. I think it was a goal celebration thing

This is act of real man like we do in Kazakhstan. Djienkuje! :mrgreen:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 1:32pm
asiu wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 1:00pm the boys who rode bikes
used to do it

made me laugh

quite the laugh
Yep, and have sex with their cell mates and still expect us to believe that they are straight.
nope

boys of that ilk
were not doing 'time'
back in those days

the were doing the crime just not the time

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Don't know if Laidley identifies as gay, he apparently identifies as a woman, which he is not. He is mentally ill. Psychosis from prolonged use of meth.

Anyway if he were a woman and was attracted to men, that wouldn't be gay.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 5:16pm
I’d prefer a Mulligan
There’ll be a QA episode soon, stacked audience with media watch denigrating anyone who disagrees
Oh you poor ABC apologist
Probably still got the Stan Grant posters on the wall
I prefer an independent view
I’ll leave the left wing sheep baaa-ing to your good self
Bunch of cut lunch comandoes
Irrelevant network except for the inner city greenie types who wear Lycra on Saturdays , sip lattes and tell us all what we should be doing to save the planet…
But it’s all “do as I say….not as I do” drivel
**** n spare me

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The flak they may cop from some idiots on social media is a drop in the ocean compared to the tabloid Media frenzy that will erupt and pervade every miniscule fragment of their life

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 29 Aug 2023 3:56pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 5:16pm
I’d prefer a Mulligan
Oh you poor ABC apologist
Probably still got the Stan Grant posters on the wall
I prefer an independent view
I’ll leave the left wing sheep baaa-ing to your good self
Bunch of cut lunch comandoes
Irrelevant network except for the inner city greenie types who wear Lycra on Saturdays , sip lattes and tell us all what we should be doing to save the planet…
But it’s all “do as I say….not as I do” drivel
**** n spare me
Wow! You really are a Grade-A moron 🤦‍♂️

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 1:03pm tongue down throat style

no mucking around

ahhhh
Might as well go the grope. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What an amazing coincidence that all the good guys and purveyors of truth just all happen to work at the ABC!

Tossers!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 29 Aug 2023 7:00pm What an amazing coincidence that all the good guys and purveyors of truth just all happen to work at the ABC!

Tossers!
The ABC guy that threw Clarko, Fagin and others under a double B seems to have gone quiet. No apology?
Paul Kennedy was all in on Peter Bol being a drug cheat before the B sample test as well. Has not resurfaced on that one as far as I know. Self righteous parasites.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The usual suspects have completely misinterpreted the OP and the ABC report. It's not an issue of other people wanting to know what a person's sexuality is, or people being forced to reveal their sexuality, it's about a person being able to express their sexuality openly (if they wish) without discrimination or abuse.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So the AFL deal with this sexual discrimination and abuse within arenas like they do with racial discrimination and abuse ..... Kick the perpetrators out of stadiums and ban them if they reference a player's sexuality in an abusive way

So what next should the AFL do?

They have already implemented a supportive Pride round and this gets enormous national exposure

The AFL can't control a ravenous tabloid media ..... the AFL can't control idiots on social media

So what's the answer?

How can the AFL control external discriminatory or intrusive entities outside their control?

I think the platform has already been soundly built for a gay player to publicly out themselves and if they do it will be fully accepted and appreciated by a huge majority of the footballing public without issue or prejudice ..... unfortunately there will always one or two idiots on scial media and the tabloid Media will haunt and hunt them relentlessly under the guise that is in the public's interest that they should know when and where the player and partner are holding hands and locking lips and which restaurants they frequent and which ice cream flavors they prefer.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 29 Aug 2023 7:00pm What an amazing coincidence that all the good guys and purveyors of truth just all happen to work at the ABC!

Tossers!
It is an incredible coincidence. I put it down to the superior recruitment skills of Public organisations :lol: