Ross Lyon Haters???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lennylegs
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon Haters???

freely wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 4:55pm The objections to RL have never been that he's a lousy coach they're that he's a slimy toerag who makes our club motto a sad joke.
I understand the sentiment, but it's a weak argument in a performance based industry. I couldn't care less if our club motto was, "We all eat beans for breakfast." I just want a friggin flag. And Ross has been the coach most likely to get us one since Allen Jeans.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's also the coaches that had been given up on, and were a breath away from being shown the door, that ended up holding the silverware.

So, if the coaches that survived by the skin of their teeth can do it, any coach can.

RL will do ... we just need to keep nailing the recruiting (this is the non-negotiable).

Any coach will do .... c**k a doodle do.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 6:05pm
saynta wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 5:38pm
markp wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 5:34pm Funny that none of the players or other people who worked at the Club, then, since, or now, all of whom presumably have a better handle on what actually went down, seem to hold him in such contempt.

If he really did behave dishonourably, surely, they wouldn't have had him back.

Maybe (and I know this is very hard to imagine), certain key people in charge at the Club during that time handled negotiations and the relationship with him poorly, left the door open for him, and through it he walked.
That's certainly not true but I ain't spilling the beans on the official who said he was a very good coach but an ordinary bloke.

Well then that holds absolutely no water.

And 'ordinary bloke' could mean anything... might even say more about the bloke making that charge, and likely has nothing to do with the circumstances of his departure.

But at least now we know you think our coach is a 'slimy toerag'.

👍
I was just being nice.

He actually called him a prick, and it had absolutely nothing to do with his "departure."

I couldn't give a f*** if it holds water or not.

And don't put words in my post that I haven't said. :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 6:55pm
markp wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 5:34pm Funny that none of the players or other people who worked at the Club, then, since, or now, all of whom presumably have a better handle on what actually went down, seem to hold him in such contempt.

Maybe (and I know this is very hard to imagine), certain key people in charge at the Club during that time handled negotiations and the relationship with him poorly, left the door open for him, and through it he walked.
That's certainly not true but I ain't spilling the beans on the official who said he was a very good coach but an ordinary bloke.

And 'ordinary bloke' could mean anything... might even say more about the bloke making that charge, and likely has nothing to do with the circumstances of his departure.

👍
I was just being nice.

He actually called him a prick, and it had absolutely nothing to do with his "departure."

So the official said he was a very good coach….well isn’t that what it’s all about ?
Isn’t that what we want ?
So it’s settled, the club made a good decision and we can now support their decision and our coach
Good news

For the record Roo reckons he is a ripper bloke…I’ll take Roos word 😊

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 4:55pm The objections to RL have never been that he's a lousy coach they're that he's a slimy toerag who makes our club motto a sad joke.
Whilst I did not like how Lyon left, I also did not like how the club tried to low ball him. Seriously, two years contesting on GF day & we tried to pretend there was someone better out there. WTF??? A decade + 2 and 3 coaches later...here we are.

Thank God you're here!

The motto is water off a duck's back when the Club wishes to jettison players, coaches and staff. That's such a hollow argument.

markp
Saintsational Legend

👍
I was just being nice.

Oh ok, so it's not relevant at all.

I know someone who went to school with him and he said he was a prick too.

Again, not relevant.

I didn't put words in your mouth, somebody posted that he was a 'slimy toerag' and you liked that post.

Dunno what is left to conclude other than that you concur with the statement that our coach is a 'slimy toerag'.

Fqf

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

samoht wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 4:16pm
Lennylegs wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 2:43pm
The relative success we've had this year has nothing to do with recruiting. We were all but silent during last trade/draft period. Credit has to be given to the new coaches. We're a much tougher team to play against this year, toughest we've been in over a decade. Which, not surprisingly, coincides with Ross's last tenure as coach.
Nothing to do with recruiting?

I think credit must also go to our recent recruiting and the maturing and natural progression of our talented youngsters this year with another pre-season under their belt.
I mean NWM is averaging 24 possessions per game from HBF. Then there's Owens and Windhager - 2 tough and skilled young players.
Stocker is also averaging 17 possessions from half back and is both tough and highly skilled.

Our list is much better placed this year, with much more depth ... I mean Billings is not even getting a look in!!!
Paton has also become a fringe player.

Our recruiters need to now maintain these standards.

We can't overlook other factors (more important ones) just to pump up the coach/coaches. I'm sorry.

Some credit must obviously go to Hayes, Harvey, Goddard and RL - but, the right amount.
I don't think you'll find anyone arguing against the premise that the improvement of those kids and Stocker have been a factor.

That said- does the coaching team get no credit for their improvement?

The idea of natural progression in football is a flawed one. If it were that simple assembling a premiership team would be simple. It is not.

The examples of Billings and Paton are also examples of the change RL has helped deliver. Do we really believe our previous coach(es) would have left Billings out?

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 7:13pm

👍
I was just being nice.

So the official said he was a very good coach….well isn’t that what it’s all about ?
Isn’t that what we want ?
So it’s settled, the club made a good decision and we can now support their decision and our coach
Good news

For the record Roo reckons he is a ripper bloke…I’ll take Roos word 😊
You would get a shock if I told you who my source was and yes he did say that Lyon was an excellent coach.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted that.

If he wins us a flag I won't give a f*** about anything else about him.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Agree with LennyLegs or (legus Pegasus)

Has been a major stiffening up in attitude, structure.

Positive

As for recruiting, it may be said some players have ‘matured’ that were originally sourced from prudent recruiting a few years back, but let’s not forget that some players have fallen away, dropped off, gone into long term injury - in anycase dropped in their status too.
Billings
Jones
Members
DMac
Hayes (although maybe he is about to erupt again)
Ross
Howard?

So that we have performed reasonably well, as a structured team says something about the coaching, the players and the relationship between the two..
So far, so good, at least from afar

Who knows what happens tomorrow of course, but it is hard to fault it from here IMO

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Agree with LennyLegs or (legus Pegasus)

Has been a major stiffening up in attitude, structure.

Positive

As for recruiting, it may be said some players have ‘matured’ that were originally sourced from prudent recruiting a few years back, but let’s not forget that some players have fallen away, dropped off, gone into long term injury - in anycase dropped in their status too.
Billings
Jones
Members
DMac
Hayes (although maybe he is about to erupt again)
Ross
Howard?

So that we have performed reasonably well, as a structured team says something about the coaching, the players and the relationship between the two..
So far, so good, at least from afar

Who knows what happens tomorrow of course, but it is hard to fault it from here IMO

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If Lyon wins a flag in the next 3 years, he will be St.Kilda's most successful coach by a long shot.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 7:46pm
samoht wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 4:16pm
Lennylegs wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 2:43pm
The relative success we've had this year has nothing to do with recruiting. We were all but silent during last trade/draft period. Credit has to be given to the new coaches. We're a much tougher team to play against this year, toughest we've been in over a decade. Which, not surprisingly, coincides with Ross's last tenure as coach.
Nothing to do with recruiting?

I think credit must also go to our recent recruiting and the maturing and natural progression of our talented youngsters this year with another pre-season under their belt.
I mean NWM is averaging 24 possessions per game from HBF. Then there's Owens and Windhager - 2 tough and skilled young players.
Stocker is also averaging 17 possessions from half back and is both tough and highly skilled.

Our list is much better placed this year, with much more depth ... I mean Billings is not even getting a look in!!!
Paton has also become a fringe player.

Our recruiters need to now maintain these standards.

We can't overlook other factors (more important ones) just to pump up the coach/coaches. I'm sorry.

Some credit must obviously go to Hayes, Harvey, Goddard and RL - but, the right amount.
I don't think you'll find anyone arguing against the premise that the improvement of those kids and Stocker have been a factor.

That said- does the coaching team get no credit for their improvement?

The idea of natural progression in football is a flawed one. If it were that simple assembling a premiership team would be simple. It is not.

The examples of Billings and Paton are also examples of the change RL has helped deliver. Do we really believe our previous coach(es) would have left Billings out?
Do you have a problem reading or is it comprehension that you struggle with?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Good catch fish fingers. Hope you feel good.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'll feel good when there are less numbskulls like you in this world

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:39pm I'll feel good when there are less numbskulls like you in this world
That hurt my feelings. I'm going to the fish and chip shop to eat my sadness. Can I get you a potato cake?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:53pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:39pm I'll feel good when there are less numbskulls like you in this world
That hurt my feelings. I'm going to the fish and chip shop to eat my sadness. Can I get you a potato cake?
Just stick your head up your arse and eat your turds you stupid prick.

My nicname has nothing to do with molluscs or potatoes. How many times do you need to be told thickhead?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:58pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:53pm
Just stick your head up your arse and eat your turds you stupid prick.

My nicname has nothing to do with molluscs or potatoes. How many times do you need to be told thickhead?
lol

Again, I am lost in the 'fog of war (of words)'...

Are you lot friends or foes..?

Does it matter..etc..etc..

A lil bit of gutter-snipe at Ross there...
allegedly...illusionary...as usual...'you would be shocked (I can't tell you) what I know (I can't tell you), what some one (I can't tell you) said about Ross the Boss (I CAN and WILL tell you!)n lol

What a gutter snipe!

I would guess that a certain core of the playing group liked Ross and continued to like him after we went West.
I guess players and coach form a crew (like a ship)

From the ocean to the river ...

Coach and playing group (one side of the river)
vs Club (colours, legacy, spirit, narrative, place in history, what we represent both deliberately and accidentally) and Club admin (the other)..being the suits and track suits and all of their noble and nefarious wants and needs.

And when that time passes, the bond remains strongest on the playing group (like Vietnam vet reunions and their officers...of course no blood)

Ross was a players man, and it is not necessarily the best arrangement and can be corrosive and I think this is where I think Grant Thomas temporarily had an ace card.

He connected players to club, not the admin, to the roots..And after a while it was too much for the admin..

I suspect Ross was on the 'boys side' but partly out of pragmatism and natural leanings. Fair enough. It worked. I think it is working now. Don't you agree?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

"My nicname has nothing to do with molluscs or potatoes. How many times do you need to be told thickhead?"

Scallops are vectors of forumborne pathogens, such as taediosus verbosus obiurgo. Their filter-feeding behavior is responsible for the potential hosting of a wide variety of crap with fecal origins. Scallops have the personality of any bivalve and rarely have pet names. Sometimes confused with scollops.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

So that's a no on the potato cake? Probably for the best. Joey doesn't share food.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 1:31pm "My nicname has nothing to do with molluscs or potatoes. How many times do you need to be told thickhead?"

Scallops are vectors of forumborne pathogens, such as taediosus verbosus obiurgo. Their filter-feeding behavior is responsible for the potential hosting of a wide variety of crap with fecal origins. Scallops have the personality of any bivalve and rarely have pet names. Sometimes confused with scollops.
FMD

If I changed my name to 'Sue' would it make easier for you and nostalgicsaint and any one else uncomfortable with different names that don't conform to your closed minded thinking?

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/equityDiversity ... l-britain/

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... tic-racism

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe time to move on here

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ha I have just logged into Romper Room :lol:

Sanctorum
Club Player

On the never-ending subject of Ross Lyon's departure from Moorabbin and his decision to accept a very financially attractive offer by Fremantle all those years ago, I have found a couple of videos that give first hand insights by Nick Riewoldt and Brendan Goddard that I have not come across before, that supporters who continue the hate for him may like to take a look at:

There will be some who believe Nick Riewoldt was Lyon's love-child and question his admiraton for his former coach. But his comment that the club had not given due respect for Lyon's success with the team's performance in the course of the contract negotiations appear to confirm the fact that they were playing hardball.

I think it's important to keep an open mind on this controversial episode in the club's 150 year history, and there's not a single supporter who can claim to know exactly what transpired at the time and which in reality has no bearing whatsoever on current realities.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What a load of cods-wollop. 😆😁😉

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The irish in me can't help but tsk tsk about all this talk of potatos and tassie pie fillings. A scollop my friends is...a tool. Of sorts. Not sure it's of any use to anyone anymore, but those compiling pub trivia questions may be grateful.
https://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning ... thatching/

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "