Ross out, clark in who subs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Ross out, clark in who subs

To me I would see this as a logical move and sub being one of Billings or if they want to potentially use him in finals Coffield.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: Ross out, clark in who subs

I’d love to see Jack Hayes as sub…very versatile player and would be a valuable warrior in finals

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jack Hayes.

Can give Roma a chop-out. Give us a big body up forward. Versatile and can play a number of roles.

Good, competitive guy to have on the show.

Or Coffield if he’s right

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Billings

older saint
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 1:48pm Jack Hayes.

Can give Roma a chop-out. Give us a big body up forward. Versatile and can play a number of roles.

Huge risk to go with any big as a sub. mid gets inj or concussion then too top heavy , where as if big goes down easier to adjust things if a big down.
Either in or out of 22 IMO and cant see him taking King, membrey, or Sharman at this point in time

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 12:48pm To me I would see this as a logical move and sub being one of Billings or if they want to potentially use him in finals Coffield.

Clark for Ross

Hayes for Poo (Who has been on the quiet side of late).

Poo, or Billings, as the Sub.

WHY?

Hayes may help to give us edge come finals.

By playing him against a final quality opponent in the Lions when can see if he is up to this standard yet. If he is off the pace out he goes for the finals and Poo/Billings come into the 22.

You do not want to be testing Hayes out for his first senior game in a do or die final, which all of our will be.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

older saint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 2:17pm

Huge risk to go with any big as a sub. mid gets inj or concussion then too top heavy , where as if big goes down easier to adjust things if a big down.
Either in or out of 22 IMO and cant see him taking King, membrey, or Sharman at this point in time

Agree.

That said Hayes is pretty mobile. If a small got injured he goes forward and pou/owens spend more time on the ball

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 2:17pm

Like I said, he’s quite versatile. Not quick, but big bodied and quick thinking. Sort of a Jason Blake type. Also seems like the type who would make the side walk taller in big games.

However you are probably right. RTB is more likely to go for extra run, particularly with both Sharman (a heavily aerial player) and Membrey already in.

God forbid an injury to our ruckman

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Id be going Coffield - has been very good over the last month or so since returning at Sandy, has looked to play more through the middle with his bigger body and burst through which has been nice to see as past perception has been that sometimes he could be a little timid in certain situations.

Really like Jack Hayes but just not sure who he comes in for - replacing a small with a big can have ramifications on rotations and ability to get into a game late and impact if needed.

I'd rather be able to play Hayes from the start and sub him out if he's gassed later.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 5:50pm Id be going Coffield - has been very good over the last month or so since returning at Sandy, has looked to play more through the middle with his bigger body and burst through which has been nice to see as past perception has been that sometimes he could be a little timid in certain situations.

Really like Jack Hayes but just not sure who he comes in for - replacing a small with a big can have ramifications on rotations and ability to get into a game late and impact if needed.

I'd rather be able to play Hayes from the start and sub him out if he's gassed later.
Having thought about it, here's what I'd do given Hill and Coops are both banged up.

OUT: Ross, Hill, Sharman
IN: Clark, Coffield, Hayes
SUB: Billings

saynta
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 6:54pm
n1ck wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 5:50pm Id be going Coffield - has been very good over the last month or so since returning at Sandy, has looked to play more through the middle with his bigger body and burst through which has been nice to see as past perception has been that sometimes he could be a little timid in certain situations.

Having thought about it, here's what I'd do given Hill and Coops are both banged up.

OUT: Ross, Hill, Sharman
IN: Clark, Coffield, Hayes
SUB: Billings
Not bad. That would work imho.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Surely a few changes this week to test out those on the cusp.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 9:41pm Surely a few changes this week to test out those on the cusp.
But why flirt with form seeing as though we're starting to play a bit better?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Club Player

Hayes for Sharman, gives options. Hayes can ruck, Marshall can swing back to defence & take an intercept mark if they are sending the ball into our 50 frequently..

Allows Sharman to get his body right. However I'm also liking this momentum and improvement with each game.
I'd get advice of the medical team to see if one or two weeks is needed for Hill... one before finals may be enough..

Saint2
Club Player

Hayes kicked 6 goals at VFL level, which is a good sign but still doesn't look at peak fitness yet for senior selection, nor does Coff. I would say Byrnes, Bytel and Billings will be the next to come in if required.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Would personally replace Ross with Paton for the Brisbane game.

Charlie Cameron is their most dangerous forward. Paton will keep him to 2 goals or less. Without Paton, he may get off the chain like Breust did a couple weeks ago,.
Move Windy up the ground to cover Ross

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is a lock.. work around that

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Tue 22 Aug 2023 7:16am Hayes kicked 6 goals at VFL level, which is a good sign but still doesn't look at peak fitness yet for senior selection, nor does Coff. I would say Byrnes, Bytel and Billings will be the next to come in if required.
Bytel is injured unfortunately.

Saint2
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Tue 22 Aug 2023 8:34am Would personally replace Ross with Paton for the Brisbane game.

Charlie Cameron is their most dangerous forward. Paton will keep him to 2 goals or less. Without Paton, he may get off the chain like Breust did a couple weeks ago,.
Move Windy up the ground to cover Ross
Paton is probably worth a look too- he is too good for VFL

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Aug 2023 11:36am
Saint2 wrote: Tue 22 Aug 2023 7:16am Hayes kicked 6 goals at VFL level, which is a good sign but still doesn't look at peak fitness yet for senior selection, nor does Coff. I would say Byrnes, Bytel and Billings will be the next to come in if required.
Bytel is injured unfortunately.
Won't stop some being critical of RL not giving him another opportunity

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.