Hunter Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Hunter Clark

Much talk he will leave at year end.

Our midfield depth is paper thin and I just can’t see why we would not be trying to keep him unless we are getting a good deal in return.

Has the ability to establish himself as a starting mid if he can string a decent run of injury free games together.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BadRossco
Club Player

Re: Hunter Clark

Soooo Slow

older saint
SS Life Member

Hope he is retained, has something we lack in regard to elite foot skills and poise. Just needs some continuity of games.
He will never be a superstar but what he could be is the cream to go along with Steele, Owens, Nasiah , King , which great teams have.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

So how much do you pay him to keep him?
What's he worth to us (contract wise) to stay?
If he was offered 600-700k by NM (or anybody else), would you match/beat that to keep him?
Similar question re Gresham - how much are you prepared to offer to keep him?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's not slow. He's a natural half back and has played some really good football for us in that position. I think he's struggling with the medial ligament injury at the moment. He's had a heap of contact injuries in recent years. He's a real talent. Will he be with us next year? Maybe not, but don't be surprised if he becomes a really good player for whichever club he ends up at.

Be careful what you wish for.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He has been smashed on this forum, which has been really disappointing. I sincerely hope he stays and becomes the player I think he can become

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:27am He has been smashed on this forum, which has been really disappointing. I sincerely hope he stays and becomes the player I think he can become
Plus one.

older saint
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:04am So how much do you pay him to keep him?
What's he worth to us (contract wise) to stay?
If he was offered 600-700k by NM (or anybody else), would you match/beat that to keep him?
Similar question re Gresham - how much are you prepared to offer to keep him?
That is the big question, which really applies with every player. First thing is what do we think he is worth and what could you do with the cap space.

Now always have to pay more to get someone out of a club as a general rule.
I think both players mentioned - IF RL and co want to retain- need to have incentive based contracts. Base to me for Clark would be around $400-$500 with the ability to earn up to around $650 with bonuses based on games played, B & F ratings, AA top 40 etc.
Gresham base probably higher $500-600 again with similar incentives.

If you have to pay more than that then Gresham you get a second round pick based on that salary and the secret herbs and spices the AFL uses and Clark (not free agent) could bring in a mid second rounder also i would think. As said wouldnt want to lose both as bad money ball play 2 first rounders out , 1 top 10 for 2nd rounders.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 10:52am Hope he is retained, has something we lack in regard to elite foot skills and poise. Just needs some continuity of games.
He will never be a superstar but what he could be is the cream to go along with Steele, Owens, Nasiah , King , which great teams have.
Agree but I think the club are looking for elite midfielders. We are not going to improve with players who have had 6 years on the list and havent made it. We would be much better placed in cashing in on what draft capital they have now and trading in or drafting a better player. Hunter has had plenty of time to develop an AFL ready physique and running power and simply hasnt done the work required. He would be good depth but its time to move on and take a gamble if required.

older saint
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 3:56pm
older saint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 10:52am Hope he is retained, has something we lack in regard to elite foot skills and poise. Just needs some continuity of games.
Agree but I think the club are looking for elite midfielders. We are not going to improve with players who have had 6 years on the list and havent made it. We would be much better placed in cashing in on what draft capital they have now and trading in or drafting a better player. Hunter has had plenty of time to develop an AFL ready physique and running power and simply hasnt done the work required. He would be good depth but its time to move on and take a gamble if required.
True but i also actually wonder if the previous leadership was as "hard" on the players regarding standards with fitness and training as this one is? We would all love players to be self motivating but like everywhere in society there are those that need that push. We will never know if he is one but those inside will. I look at Higgins he looks like he did when he was at Richmond, hungry , FIT, and performing and that all leads to fun.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

One thing about Hunter is that he puts his body on the line ...... everytime

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Very courageous

Don’t see the ‘elite by foot’ traits

Just because a player can and elects to kick on their non preferred- doesn’t make them an elite kick.

Has good vision, is great in traffic and a natural footballer

Poor athletically

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He has not resigned

Unless something has changed since last season - he’s as good as gone

Starting 2 games as sub is not going to help retain him

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Clark was really good when he came on Saturday.

Lyon has been prepared to play him in the middle on reduced game time. That's a big concession by Ross.

Ratten's refusal to use him in the middle, was reportedly due to Clark's inability to spread defensively due to lack of tank and speed. Lyon has been willing to use him there in bursts, which possibly indicates that Ross likes him as a player. I've heard reports that Clark likes him and it appears now, that all talk of Clark going to North dissipated when talks with Lyon began.

So I don't see any immediate reason he'd be going unless we get a good trade for him.

silverhalo
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 4:39pm One thing about Hunter is that he puts his body on the line ...... everytime
Agreed, and normally pays a huge price for it - just doesn't have the body to handle the knocks he does. He might be a Matty Lappin type who no matter how often he hits the gym, will always be skinny??

silverhalo
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:27am He has been smashed on this forum, which has been really disappointing. I sincerely hope he stays and becomes the player I think he can become
I think there's always some resentment towards a player that has wanted to leave the club as he did last year wanting to go to North

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Has he?

Plenty of ppl here have queried his fitness and dedication at times…

Can’t say I’ve a single post suggesting he isn’t incredibly talented or doesn’t have huge potential

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Smashed on the forum

Really?!

If anything- he’s overrated on here

He’s been injured for a few years - he can’t have controlled that

Is highly talented and courageous- a very good player

Not fit enough to reach his potential though

Hasn’t resigned- therefore likely to leave

I hope he stays, as I don’t believe losing talent improves the list!