No more 50s

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

No more 50s

Watching a lot of footy over the past month the Umpires clearly have been told to back off the 50 m penalties on Stand and touching the player after the mark.
Yesterday Marshall marked on the HBF and the richmond guys basically grabbed him no 50, Mutiple times guys moved on the mark losing balance trying to cheat the mark nothing, both sides did well slow to release the ball after bing pinged which was to be auto 50 if you delay the release of the ball .
Sicily v richmond took 2 steps the other week on the mark - nothing.

Rule of the week - this one has definitely dropped of the radar- perhaps it was out of bounds this week ,... clearly not.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: No more 50s

It needs replacing.

Can have too much impact, or inconsistent impact, depending on where on the ground it is awarded and at what stage of the game.

Worst of all is when it's given for something technical or soft, following a shady initial free, at a pivotal point in the game, and in the forward half.

Maybe make it 25m? Maybe make a transgressor 'stand' for 30-60 seconds excluded from play.... dunno, but 50 metres is too often too much.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 11:38am It needs replacing.

Can have too much impact, or inconsistent impact, depending on where on the ground it is awarded and at what stage of the game.

Worst of all is when it's given for something technical or soft, following a shady initial free, at a pivotal point in the game, and in the forward half.

Maybe make it 25m? Maybe make a transgressor 'stand' for 30-60 seconds excluded from play.... dunno, but 50 metres is too often too much.
Whilst I do like all of these suggestions, the issue for me is that AFL as a whole has moved away from what was the most basic of mantras of umpiring - only pay the obvious ones.

A lot of 50m penalties over the last year or two have been for things that the discerning fan at the game or watching at home simply doesn’t catch.
IMO, if it requires an explanation… you’re generally not on the right track

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I thought the Marshall one was clearly a 50, with a few other’s borderline.

I’d prefer the current interpretation on the rule as opposed to the ridiculous pay a 50 when the player did not impact the player with the ball.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Our rules live on a sort of continuum that varies from game to game, umpire to umpire. Players early in a match test where the outer points are early and that sets the tone. Poor umpire coaching since forever and not dropping umpires who make it up as they go along means its a lottery. There will be tears when that approach really bites Collingwood, otherwise the AFL's approach is nothing to see here, its so hard to recruit umpires; and if you keep complaining we will make it 6 umpires a game, what do you think of that, if 4 is diabolical.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Peter Daicos was quoted today claiming that the 4 umpires has been a bad move by the AFL, citing a recent case of an umpire 50m away from play running in and over-ruling a closer umpire to award a free kick, which is crazy.

It is certainly working for the gun full forwards as it seems the umps are now better positioned to detect infringements in the inisde 50 contests.

As a matter of interest, St Kilda in 2023 has had a dream run from the umpires, leading the comp with 402 for and 332 against!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
older saint
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 1:05pm Peter Daicos was quoted today claiming that the 4 umpires has been a bad move by the AFL, citing a recent case of an umpire 50m away from play running in and over-ruling a closer umpire to award a free kick, which is crazy.

It is certainly working for the gun full forwards as it seems the umps are now better positioned to detect infringements in the inisde 50 contests.

As a matter of interest, St Kilda in 2023 has had a dream run from the umpires, leading the comp with 402 for and 332 against!
Always going to happen as 9 umpires every week weren't considered good enough in previous seasons now due to the 4 umpires get a game. That also means that those who replace any that get dropped come from either further down the ranks.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The no 50 to Owens was the worst one on the day!

markp
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 12:18pm
markp wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 11:38am It needs replacing.

Whilst I do like all of these suggestions, the issue for me is that AFL as a whole has moved away from what was the most basic of mantras of umpiring - only pay the obvious ones.

A lot of 50m penalties over the last year or two have been for things that the discerning fan at the game or watching at home simply doesn’t catch.
IMO, if it requires an explanation… you’re generally not on the right track

Yep. Good point.

I maintain that it is one of the hardest games in the world to adjudicate... so much is grey and open to interpretation. Sometimes holding, high contact, pushing in the back etc is ok, sometimes it's not. AFL obviously concerned about duty of care and player welfare also... which is kinda new.

But the 50 is the only lever short of reporting that umpires are given for an indiscretion at a set kick... often a penalty is warranted, somewhere short of a gifted goal.

King Max
Club Player

older saint wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 10:48am Watching a lot of footy over the past month the Umpires clearly have been told to back off the 50 m penalties on Stand and touching the player after the mark.
Yesterday Marshall marked on the HBF and the richmond guys basically grabbed him no 50, Mutiple times guys moved on the mark losing balance trying to cheat the mark nothing, both sides did well slow to release the ball after bing pinged which was to be auto 50 if you delay the release of the ball .

Rule of the week - this one has definitely dropped of the radar- perhaps it was out of bounds this week ,... clearly not.
I thought Marshall was trying to creep forward. No 50 for mine.

This one from last week on the other hand. WTF?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 5:53pm
older saint wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 10:48am Watching a lot of footy over the past month the Umpires clearly have been told to back off the 50 m penalties on Stand and touching the player after the mark.

That one is terrible.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No excuses the umpire saw it and CHOSE to ignore a clear breach of the rule. It's cheating and cost us a goal.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 8:50am

No excuses the umpire saw it and CHOSE to ignore a clear breach of the rule. It's cheating and cost us a goal.
Bloody cheating umpires, only have us +70 for the year.

Glad when they spun the wheel before the Tigers game it came up "cheat for St Kilda", kept our season alive!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Law of parsimony. Just pay the clear ones that impact the play or impede the player.

How umpires miss the obvious ones is beyond me.

Fatigue? Lack of concentration? Poor eyesight?

It would be good to know the reasoning.

The AFL also appear to be adjusting the interpretation of the rules mid season without telling anyone.

They just do what they want. It’s pathetic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 9:58am

Glad when they spun the wheel before the Tigers game it came up "cheat for St Kilda", kept our season alive!
Yep but still chose to ignore this blatant breach of the rules.

King Max
Club Player

I don't think it was cheating and it could have cost us a goal but it didn't (Max brought the ball to ground and handballed to Crouch for a goal). But it's hard to imagine a more obvious breach of the rules that wasn't seen by four umpires. I reckon the people selling donuts outside the ground would have seen that.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:06am

Like they 'chose to ignore' the clear breach by about 3 St Kilda players running through the restricted zone when Richmond were on a fast break, costing them a goal.

Swings and roundabouts.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It should be a 25m rule. 50 is ridiculous!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 12:02pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:06am

Like they 'chose to ignore' the clear breach by about 3 St Kilda players running through the restricted zone when Richmond were on a fast break, costing them a goal.

Swings and roundabouts.
Pay it had no bearing on the result.

Look at the Butler no free v Carlton costs a clear goal.

King Max
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 12:02pm

Swings and roundabouts.
Put the video up and we can all look at it.