Reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reality

Re mids: nowhere else to play Crouch, Steele probably chooses where he wants to be, Gresham too small, fragile? Clark has good hands/reflexes and clever at distributing but can be buffeted off once he has it, as soon as it becomes a scrum we seem to get out muscled and for some reason Owens is used sparingly at centre bounces, perhaps his marking is more valuable around the ground because not many can clunk a contested mark. Ross is a big body, we missed him. Maybe treading water for Windy to get stronger. No one obviously being groomed. Jones may have been earmarked for bullocking at centre bounces but his body keeps breaking. Stocker is strong but seems to have lost his confidence and the coaches. Prototype is 190cm, 85 kilo, 50m in 6 secs. good mark, kick both feet. Bulldogs, Port, Pies, Melbourne, Geelong, Suns, GWS, North, BNE and more all have one or two. Why not us, missed the sales. The cliche is possession is 9/10ths of the law. Well from centre bounces that's probably correct. Even if we could just get a small gorilla in there to force a secondary ball up and let reinforcements arrive that might slow down the surges into our defence. Looks like VFL is being used to see is any of the reserves might have what it takes to win contested centre bounce ball one on one, but none seem big enough (?). And we don't seem to work as a pack at bounces. Steele's form is a quandary - I guess the story will be told off season, whatever medical procedure he has. But he is so tough and skillful when fit, but not as big as some of the other sides primates. Be nice to make finals to vindicate the way Ratts was treated but I think we will get blown away by sides with classy midfield set ups because other good sides don't let us get the ball back from our turnovers and we cant make them.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:40am
Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 6:23am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 3:32am
What didn't change was the lock Steele, Crouch, Ross, and Marshall have had on stoppages. I'd be expecting some change in that department.
I expect Marshall Crouch Steele and Clark to start in the centre against Richmond...

I expect Sinclair to go in at stages to replace Clark, Crouch or Steele, as well as Gresh replacing Clark or Crouch, and Owens to ruck when RoMa is resting.

After a while I expect the 3 amigos ( Crouch, Steele and Ross) lining up again in their usual roles. They'll probably get more opportunities for certain bounce attendance than the rest.

Sometimes you have to do exploration over 22 matches, just in case you missed something in the first 20
They are and have been a very ordinary clearance team. They lock the ball in but can't clear it. Not sure what you're talking about. Are you?
I read some interesting thinking on BF (less b!tchy, smiley than here so often just talks footy …novel..)
Anyhoo, the idea was that our mids fail as they ALL get sucked into the tackle, they all (as they are) get in the trenches to win the contest….problem is….when that footy is flicked outside …as Carlton did often….no Saints there to take it away…pressure the ball carrier for the opposition …
I think this is where you need your on field generals - instruct set up don’t all get sucked in
We’ve done this against other sides at times too - Dogs love to play this way …
I think “coachable group” = not that smart

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 9:32am
What didn't change was the lock Steele, Crouch, Ross, and Marshall have had on stoppages. I'd be expecting some change in that department.
I expect Marshall Crouch Steele and Clark to start in the centre against Richmond...

I expect Sinclair to go in at stages to replace Clark, Crouch or Steele, as well as Gresh replacing Clark or Crouch, and Owens to ruck when RoMa is resting.

After a while I expect the 3 amigos ( Crouch, Steele and Ross) lining up again in their usual roles. They'll probably get more opportunities for certain bounce attendance than the rest.

Sometimes you have to do exploration over 22 matches, just in case you missed something in the first 20
They are and have been a very ordinary clearance team. They lock the ball in but can't clear it. Not sure what you're talking about. Are you?
I read some interesting thinking on BF (less b!tchy, snipey than here so often just talks footy …novel..)
Anyhoo, the idea was that our mids fail as they ALL get sucked into the tackle, they all (as they are) get in the trenches to win the contest….problem is….when that footy is flicked outside …as Carlton did often….no Saints there to take it away…pressure the ball carrier for the opposition …
I think this is where you need your on field generals - instruct set up don’t all get sucked in

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The reality is, we have improved over last year, we have more depth with our developing and maturing youngsters tracking well, and we're probably only one decent midfielder (with outside run and skill) away from being a top side.

If Ross is fit, he will give us the extra outside run that we need - he's very quick.
He's an important inclusion.

We should beat both Richmond and Geelong, if we remain positive and we don't go "into our shells" as we did against Carlton.
We had an opportunity to beat Carlton who were missing important players, but we let them run all over us.

But, anyway, we can and should redeem ourselves. We're getting back to full strength, and full strength this year trumps whatever we had last year (especially in the 2nd half).
No excuses.
Absolutely none.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 9:32am

I read some interesting thinking on BF (less b!tchy, smiley than here so often just talks footy …novel..)
Dion Prestia actually spoke about this. He mentioned that when it gets willing or close - Richmond will send a single inside mid to the contest to hopefully wrestle the ball their way but importantly - their other mids and wing (and +1) will effectively encircle the contest in case the don't win in to ensure the opposition's first receive is tackled forcing another stoppage. Fascinating listening.

We definitely don't do this. My God - watching Steele, Crouch and Owens in the 2nd half on Sunday was the exact opposite.

Go you red, black & white warriors
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

be kind good sir

they are our kind
as our friends here

see gradient scale of the 'challenged' supporters here
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
with their donkey on the edge , chicken little 'n bambi routines
as evidence

follow up dorothy dixer :P

how was your hour off the other day ?

constructive , i hope.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

After a while I expect the 3 amigos ( Crouch, Steele and Ross) lining up again in their usual roles. They'll probably get more opportunities for certain - edit** should be 'centre' - bounce attendance than the rest.

I was just making a point (badly mind you 🤔) that there won't be much change at all

Owens will obviously be second ruck and also playing as a pure mid at times but the majority of stoppages and the majority of centre attendances will be the same as it has been for the last 3 years - i.e Steele, Crouch, Seb Ross.

What would I do differently? I'd change philosophy on team selection for a start. Crouch would have only played 10 games this year. Bytel would have played 6-10. Some replacing Steele when Steele was injured and some replacing Crouch when he was managed.

And then, with midfield line ups. I'd play Gresh and Clark on the inside and play Steele on the outside at times. Play Windy and Owens more as pure mids. The understanding and chemistry will build between these two. Let's not delay it any longer

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 7:43pm

After a while I expect the 3 amigos ( Crouch, Steele and Ross) lining up again in their usual roles. They'll probably get more opportunities for certain - edit** should be 'centre' - bounce attendance than the rest.

I was just making a point (badly mind you 🤔) that there won't be much change at all

Owens will obviously be second ruck and also playing as a pure mid at times but the majority of stoppages and the majority of centre attendances will be the same as it has been for the last 3 years - i.e Steele, Crouch, Seb Ross.

What would I do differently? I'd change philosophy on team selection for a start. Crouch would have only played 10 games this year. Bytel would have played 6-10. Some replacing Steele when Steele was injured and some replacing Crouch when he was managed.

And then, with midfield line ups. I'd play Gresh and Clark on the inside and play Steele on the outside at times. Play Windy and Owens more as pure mids. The understanding and chemistry will build between these two. Let's not delay it any longer
So you're writing off this year (from get go) and going for high draft picks for 2024? Interesting.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 11 Aug 2023 12:24pm

be kind good sir

they are our kind
as our friends here

as evidence

constructive , i hope.
😂
Amazed how much I got done with my hour off from here!!
Reckon I got through all 20 pages I was behind on from BF
Enlightenment!
I also made a Pav …just for fun 🤩

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 1:41am

be kind good sir

they are our kind
as our friends here

as evidence

constructive , i hope.
😂
Enlightenment!
Garden Gnome called Ross would have been given a polish I would have thought in that hour?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 7:40am

be kind good sir

they are our kind
as our friends here

as evidence

constructive , i hope.
😂
Enlightenment!
Garden Gnome called Ross would have been given a polish I would have thought in that hour?
You polish your gnome a bit?
It’s called Cooper isn’t it??

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 2:17pm

be kind good sir

they are our kind
as our friends here

as evidence

constructive , i hope.
😂
Enlightenment!
who?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 2:22pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 2:17pm

be kind good sir

they are our kind
as our friends here

as evidence

constructive , i hope.
😂
Enlightenment!
who?
What you doing in a thread titled “reality” …kinda pointless??

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think his gun is called Cooper.
Well polished with a hair trigger.
It only comes out at knife fights and rarely shoots a bullet, has a backfiring issue.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 2:29pm I think his gun is called Cooper.
Well polished with a hair trigger.
It only comes out at knife fights and rarely shoots a bullet, has a backfiring issue.
:lol: :lol:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We just need to avoid trading away our first two picks in the draft for the forseeable future - we can clearly see how well the young guys are stepping up.

I think we are a good chance to play finals this season, providing we win tomorrow against Richmond - because we have already banked the points.

Rohan out for the Cats next week will help us - he usually kills us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 5:36pm We just need to avoid trading away our first two picks in the draft for the forseeable future - we can clearly see how well the young guys are stepping up.

I think we are a good chance to play finals this season, providing we win tomorrow against Richmond - because we have already banked the points.

Rohan out for the Cats next week will help us - he usually kills us.
Agree re keeping top 2 picks
That means you gotta let players go to get compensation u can trade ….
Nothings for free

“Yeah….nah””